PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams traded to Nets

red19
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Sad day for us Jazz fans, but the reality is we were going to be in the same boat as Denver was with Melo. I hate to see him go, but I think the Jazz got plenty in return. A deep roster just got deeper, only problem is the coaching staff cant seem to find the right rotation/combination.
Harris and Favors are good players, and possibly the future picks can be combined to get us a pure shooter in this draft(Freddette possibly)

BluenOrnge4Life
02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Not sure what to think about this trade. I feel like it's definitely good for the Nets, but I don't see why you would let Sloan resign if you're just going to deal Deron Williams before the trade deadline..

red19
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Not sure what to think about this trade. I feel like it's definitely good for the Nets, but I don't see why you would let Sloan resign if you're just going to deal Deron Williams before the trade deadline..

I think the front office knew they at least had a chance to re-sign him without Sloan. Personally, im happy with the players we got, just not their positions.... It may sound asinine, but the rotation of Ronnie Price with Earl Watson is actually pretty damn good. I just dont see how throwing Harris (whos better than those two) in the mix addresses the real needs of a defensive presence inside and a pure shooter/scorer (which is really the role Deron had to play with Utah)
Deron was a different player in Qtrs 1-3 than he was in the 4th, and thats mainly because he was really the only scoring threat from outside.

Atwnbroncfan
02-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Why does Utah need 3 PF's? That part is dumb. As a nugg fan im biased, but I think as a roster as a whole Denver is better off than Utah now. Cant say that in the long run.

I think Utah wants to keep Jimmer in state.

red19
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Why does Utah need 3 PF's? That part is dumb. As a nugg fan im biased, but I think as a roster as a whole Denver is better off than Utah now. Cant say that in the long run.

I think Utah wants to keep Jimmer in state.

Not to mention 3 pgs......
As I mentioned somewhere else, im happy with the players the Jazz got-just not their positions. Its kind of a head scratcher, maybe its not over yet.

And to the point of Jimmer, I think that has some merit-he is a pure shooter and Utah lacks one badly.

Spice 1
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Not to mention 3 pgs......
As I mentioned somewhere else, im happy with the players the Jazz got-just not their positions. Its kind of a head scratcher, maybe its not over yet.

And to the point of Jimmer, I think that has some merit-he is a pure shooter and Utah lacks one badly.

Let's see what Harris can do with some talent around him. He won't replace Williams, but I think you guys did better in this trade than Denver did for sure.

Amari24
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
WOW.. I swear I called that. I said there was a 0% chance he stays in Utah with no Jerry Sloan, and I said I think he'd go to the Knicks, Nets, or Magic.

Brooke Lopez and Deron Williams will be interesting to watch for sure.

Bronco_Armada
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
west gets a little weaker, East gets a little stronger.

For the 2nd or 3rd time as a Knicks fan in the past 16 years I may have something to look forward to at the end of the season, every year ends the same way, just like my Syracuse Orangemen and now my Broncos. :sad:

ERoyal248
02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming.

I'm tired of all these superstars leaving.

Melo, Deron, Amare, LeBron, and many others.

Makes you respect Duncan, Dirk, and to an extent Kobe even though he cried for a trade because he didn't have enough help.

red19
02-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Makes you respect Duncan, Dirk, and to an extent Kobe even though he cried for a trade because he didn't have enough help.

Yeah, Im afraid the NBA is turning into something I hoped it would never become. I think the Lakers in aquring Gasol a couple years back (for basically nothing) started a bad trend. That aquisition showed other teams that you need to have a uber roster to compete for a title. Only a handful of teams are willing to shell up the dough to try and create rosters like that.
This new style of roster building is a welcome change to recent cellar dwellers like NY and NJ, but it really hurts the chances of free agents signing in places like Utah or Sac etc.
Now that the trade has set in a little bit, I can appreciate what DWill brought (and is still bringing)to my favorite team. He will be missed by Jazz fans, but his time and effort was appreciated.

TecmoElway
02-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, Im afraid the NBA is turning into something I hoped it would never become. I think the Lakers in aquring Gasol a couple years back (for basically nothing) started a bad trend. That aquisition showed other teams that you need to have a uber roster to compete for a title. Only a handful of teams are willing to shell up the dough to try and create rosters like that.
This new style of roster building is a welcome change to recent cellar dwellers like NY and NJ, but it really hurts the chances of free agents signing in places like Utah or Sac etc.
Now that the trade has set in a little bit, I can appreciate what DWill brought (and is still bringing)to my favorite team. He will be missed by Jazz fans, but his time and effort was appreciated.

I agree with your thoughts. I think most fans now recognize the NBA is turning into a few super teams with 3 superstars and role-players. The rest of the league isn't going to be able to compete with that. Imagine the next team USA basketball roster for the Olympics. Every guy on the roster will be a from Miami, New York, Chicago, New Jersey, L.A., and maybe a couple of other teams.

Amari24
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM

I agree with all this except Amar'e. Phoenix didn't want him anymore, and he took a risk going to New York alone without any talent placed there. Unlike Lebron and Melo who just leached off of others, waiting for a team to have established talent, or planned a super team before hand.

the0rangecrush
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
This is why I love players like Kevin Durant, he said he will win in OKC and actually meant it signing that extension.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-23-2011, 11:42 PM

This is why the NFL is better than the NBA. IMO the NBA needs to do something serious about this or the sport is REALLY going to start suffering if this trend continues.

Spice 1
02-24-2011, 08:15 AM

It started with Boston. I don't despise any other team like I despise the Gremlins, but I respect them. It has been a pleasure to watch these guys play the game regardless. I don't really blame the Lakers at all. I blame the Memphis Grizzles for the whole thing. If you are going to be a Lakers farm team, just gth out of the league. The NBA is ultimately about the Celtics and Lakers though. If you believe in trends, then you know that ten years from now, the Lakers and Celtics will still be on or near the top. The Heat and Knicks will likely not be at the pinnacle. It is what it is.

CoryWinget81
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
This is why I love players like Kevin Durant, he said he will win in OKC and actually meant it signing that extension.

Yep.

OKC will win a title before the Knicks, and maybe before Miami. I'd almost bet on it. Best young corps in the NBA.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Yep.

OKC will win a title before the Knicks, and maybe before Miami. I'd almost bet on it. Best young corps in the NBA.

Knicks fans are in for a rude awakening IMO. The honey moon won't last long when Melo delivers his usual first round exit from the playoffs.

the0rangecrush
02-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Knicks fans are in for a rude awakening IMO. The honey moon won't last long when Melo delivers his usual first round exit from the playoffs.

No then it will be on the FO for not having enough talent around him and amare

CoryWinget81
02-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Yep, the fans will turn on Stoudemire, then the coach, then Donny Walsh, then each other.

In the end it will be "Last Man Standing" with Melo and a bunch of overpriced pieces around him making first round exits out of the playoffs until Melo eventually demands a trade to Utah where it's nice and quiet.

The NY media is going to eat him ALIVE.

Bronco51
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
They will blame it all on La-La's TV show when he flames out. He won't be focused, kind of like Ocho and TO with their shows.

Spice 1
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Yep, the fans will turn on Stoudemire, then the coach, then Donny Walsh, then each other.

In the end it will be "Last Man Standing" with Melo and a bunch of overpriced pieces around him making first round exits out of the playoffs until Melo eventually demands a trade to Utah where it's nice and quiet.

If they bring Isiah Thomas back, they can blame it all on him again. He's an awesome scapegoat, because he has no idea what he's doing.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Exactly. Just wait till the Nuggets team with 'garbage players' make it to the Playoffs and the Knicks with the 'Top 5 NBA Player' Star, Melo, get bounced in the first round.

People will then start to realize that Melo isn't the all-around player that he is perceived to be. I wonder if some people have ever even seen Melo play. There's no denying his ability to score, but his selfish play and refusal to play Defense are two things that will always prevent him from winning a championship.

the0rangecrush
02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Exactly. Just wait till the Nuggets team with 'garbage players' make it to the Playoffs and the Knicks with the 'Top 5 NBA Player' Star, Melo, get bounced in the first round.

People will then start to realize that Melo isn't the all-around player that they think he is.

They will then scorn the FO for giving up so much for their so called prodigal son.

BluenOrnge4Life
02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
They will then scorn the FO for giving up so much for their so called prodigal son.

Yep. I heard an interesting comment last night on the Fan: Apparently Ujiri thought that the Nuggets could have gotten even more if they waited till the last minute, but the locker room had gotten so toxic that they couldn't wait any longer to make the move.