PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez quits

InsaneBlaze23
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Well he retired, but we can look at it as quiting.

He retired after the MLB told him there was something wrong with his drug test.

Hmmm I wonder what Manny was doing to just quit?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
It's the second time he's failed if this is a recent report. He missed half of last season for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. I believe it was HGH.

That means he'd probably miss the entire season. So, at his age it makes more sense to retire since he's what, 38? He'd be close to 40 by the time he's allowed to play again, if he's allowed to play again.

jcdavey
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
this is going to keep him outta the HOF, which he was probably already shaky due to his being a grade A-hole

InsaneBlaze23
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Here is a link to a article from yahoo sports.

They have it listed as breaking news. I agree he is a A-hole, and that this could knock him out of a chance in the HOF.

It seems only fitting: Manny Ramirez(notes) played much of his career under a cloud of controversy. Now he's ending it in the exact same fashion.
In an unexpected announcement on Friday afternoon, Major League Baseball said that Ramirez is electing to retire from the 0-6 Tampa Bay Rays less than a week into the season rather than address a drug "issue" raised by the league.
MLB won't identify the issue, but Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reports that it's a drug test that Ramirez failed during spring training. Ramirez also failed a drug test in 2009 and served a 50-game suspension while with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Here's more from the MLB Press Release:

"Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed. MLB will not have any further comment on this matter."Ramirez played just five games for the Rays this season, going 1-for-16 with four strikeouts and getting booed by the Tropicana Field crowd on Tuesday night. He missed Thursday's game against the Chicago White Sox after Joe Maddon said the 38-year-old slugger was attending to "a personal matter." His roster spot will be filled by Casey Kotchman(notes), who was just called up from the minors. It's obviously a big blow for the Rays, who signed Ramirez to a one-year, $2 million contract for 2011 and were hoping he'd pick up some of the offense lost when Carl Crawford(notes) and Carlos Pena skipped town.

There is more at the link, but this is pretty much it.

CinnaMunMun
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
It's the second time he's failed if this is a recent report. He missed half of last season for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. I believe it was HGH.

That means he'd probably miss the entire season. So, at his age it makes more sense to retire since he's what, 38? He'd be close to 40 by the time he's allowed to play again, if he's allowed to play again.

I think it was actually a women fertility drug that is banned because it is a masking agent for PEDs.

Everyone knew his career would end this way. Not the drugs, but the drama. I don't think anyone could see him just quietly disappearing.

jcdavey
04-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I think it was actually a women fertility drug that is banned because it is a masking agent for PEDs.

Everyone knew his career would end this way. Not the drugs, but the drama. I don't think anyone could see him just quietly disappearing.

he should have taken a cue from david ortiz who also got popped, and that is, just be a good person like ortiz seems to be, and move past it

manny was always a jackass though, just like bonds but even more of an attention whore

InsaneBlaze23
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Last season it was the women fertility drug, which is use by men to counter act enhancement drugs like steroids or HGH.

There is no news on what they found this time.

themadfanatic
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I have mixed feelings about manny. I feel bad for him and I always thought he seemed like a cool guy but to repeatedly fail drug test is a hot mess. Bonds didn't fail ever, no one has ever proved he did anything to me bonds is unfairly gettin a bad rap. Manny did this to himself

BroncoFanBoy
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
lol what a loser. Enjoy your retirement Manny!

I feel bad for the Rays tho. First, you lose all those players in FA, then Longoria's on the disabled list, now Rameriez calls it quits. Sorry Rays..

Southstander
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I have mixed feelings about manny. I feel bad for him and I always thought he seemed like a cool guy but to repeatedly fail drug test is a hot mess. Bonds didn't fail ever, no one has ever proved he did anything to me bonds is unfairly gettin a bad rap. Manny did this to himself

If don't think it has been proven that he did roids beyond the shadow of a doubt you have your head in the sand.

themadfanatic
04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
It hasn't that's a fact

InsaneBlaze23
04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
If don't think it has been proven that he did roids beyond the shadow of a doubt you have your head in the sand.

There is no proof he did riods, just hints that he did that or HGH, the same can be said about Bonds.

I think people look at you better, when you just come out in say it, at the time the punishment is lower.

Look at Little Papi Ortiz, he came out, lost no fans, he gain respect, same for Pedetta, Giambi, and other. You can even say Gay-Rod, I mean Alex Rodriguez, but he only said 2003, there is no telling if he did it another year other than that one.

Southstander
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
There is no proof he did riods, just hints that he did that or HGH, the same can be said about Bonds.

I think people look at you better, when you just come out in say it, at the time the punishment is lower.

Look at Little Papi Ortiz, he came out, lost no fans, he gain respect, same for Pedetta, Giambi, and other. You can even say Gay-Rod, I mean Alex Rodriguez, but he only said 2003, there is no telling if he did it another year other than that one.

You fully new what I intended to say.