PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy Videos

Foez
04-16-2011, 07:49 PM
I like Colt McCoy. I want to see what everybody else thinks about him. Here are a couple videos so you can get a real opinion of his rookie season.

9WSJ2xmYoMw

nlIpohoRdGM

What I saw from him was he is very quick...no problem adjusting to the speed of the NFL. He doesn't read as quick as he plays though, if he can read the D and receivers better for the speed of play he will be good for a while. Most part though look at his accuracy for the position he was put into as a rookie QB with bad O line and no play making WR's.

One person that I really want his opinion from is Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown
04-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I like Colt McCoy. I want to see what everybody else thinks about him. Here are a couple videos so you can get a real opinion of his rookie season.

What I saw from him was he is very quick...no problem adjusting to the speed of the NFL. He doesn't read as quick as he plays though, if he can read the D and receivers better for the speed of play he will be good for a while. Most part though look at his accuracy for the position he was put into as a rookie QB with bad O line and no play making WR's.

One person that I really want his opinion from is Charlie Brown.

Colt McCoy is extremely overrated. McCoy when he plays is a deer in the headlights. Sure, in those clips you posted he does his best to look "good". But that isn't the real him. That is him capitalizing on the opposing teams focusing on the Browns running game leaving recievers open. As the season went on Hillis broke down and the Browns had to rely on McCoy's arm.

That led to disastrous results. If you want a nice video of McCoy watch this one:

The Real McCoy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d81d803c7/Sound-FX-The-real-McCoy)

He hasn't shown me anything that Brady Quinn and Charlie Frye didn't.

CoryWinget81
04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
McCoy is special. Like Tebow.

When he (they) figures it out? Look out, NFL.

Charlie Brown
04-16-2011, 09:48 PM
McCoy is special. Like Tebow.

When he (they) figures it out? Look out, NFL.

Yea, not going to happen. That is a pipe dream.

To be honest, and don't take this personally. I am glad you are a Broncos fan and not a Browns fan. You would be in for one rude awakening. Your optimism would disappear after ... oh say 2 minutes into the regular season. After week 4 or 5 you would already be thinking about the draft and how you wish it was next season.

Only to find out the next season that the team has fired their coach and hired a nincompoop as the head coach. Leaving whatever optimism you may have had scattered to the wind.

Portia11
04-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Always liked Colt too, but don't know if he can take all the hits. Guess we'll know what the Browns and the Broncos are thinking QBwise by who they draft.

Just for fun-McCoy/Tebow videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiwR6A32gfw skip to 1:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNHGwxF8haU&feature=related

Jay3
04-17-2011, 04:40 AM
I think he's really good and was a steal for the Browns.

But I haven't watched him much in the NFL like Charlie has.

I worry about his size, hand size, and all around physical ability.

Foez
04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Yea, not going to happen. That is a pipe dream.

To be honest, and don't take this personally. I am glad you are a Broncos fan and not a Browns fan. You would be in for one rude awakening. Your optimism would disappear after ... oh say 2 minutes into the regular season. After week 4 or 5 you would already be thinking about the draft and how you wish it was next season.

Only to find out the next season that the team has fired their coach and hired a nincompoop as the head coach. Leaving whatever optimism you may have had scattered to the wind.

I've been watching the Browns for the last couple years and after this last season honestly I think fans should be more optimistic then ever before really. On offense they need a good WR and a hell of alot better O line. D still has a bunch of holes to fill but can be worked on. They might surprise you and make it to the playoffs very soon. And yes I know about bad teams coming out of no where to do good (Texas Rangers). I'm just saying they are getting better and unless they get a McD in there to screw everything up they could be heading places.

Now, Colt McCoy. He is pretty quick and tries to get the ball off quick he adjusted to the speed good but still a few things he needs to work on. He knows he has a bad line but that gets in his head at times and he scrambles at times he should stay in the pocket. He doesn't make a tremendous amount of throws he shouldn't but he does run it sometimes when he should see a receiver down field. He has better arm strength than people give him credit for, but mid to deep accuracy gets off sometimes. Most bad things I see in him because he's a rookie and can easily be fixed with time. He's a smart kid and I can see him not being elite but being good one day.

Charlie Brown
04-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been watching the Browns for the last couple years and after this last season honestly I think fans should be more optimistic then ever before really. On offense they need a good WR and a hell of alot better O line. D still has a bunch of holes to fill but can be worked on. They might surprise you and make it to the playoffs very soon. And yes I know about bad teams coming out of no where to do good (Texas Rangers). I'm just saying they are getting better and unless they get a McD in there to screw everything up they could be heading places.

Now, Colt McCoy. He is pretty quick and tries to get the ball off quick he adjusted to the speed good but still a few things he needs to work on. He knows he has a bad line but that gets in his head at times and he scrambles at times he should stay in the pocket. He doesn't make a tremendous amount of throws he shouldn't but he does run it sometimes when he should see a receiver down field. He has better arm strength than people give him credit for, but mid to deep accuracy gets off sometimes. Most bad things I see in him because he's a rookie and can easily be fixed with time. He's a smart kid and I can see him not being elite but being good one day.

He's no different than the other two failed QB's. I see nothing seperating him from Brady Quinn nore Charlie Frye. McCoy is another weak-armed QB. The only reason he looked "good" at times is becuase teams were focusing on the run and leaving players open. McCoy is just another failed QB prospect - Heckert was a fool for drafting him.

BroncoFanNC
04-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Article by a Browns fan:

With the end of the 2010 Browns season it’s time to start discussing the current state of the teams roster and where better to start than at the top with quarterback Colt McCoy following his rookie season.

Upon being drafted in the third round out of the University of Texas, McCoy was quickly pronounced a redshirt rookie and was never even expected to sniff the field with veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace in front of him.

Rather than read into the words of his team president and others in the organization McCoy simply kept focused and ready then eventually had his number called sooner than expected in mid-October.

McCoy made eight starts as a rookie with the majority coming against the leagues best defenses. He came out the other side with 6 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 1,576 yards passing and a passer rating of 74.5. However, what wasn’t recorded in the stat lines were his leadership qualities and poise which allowed him to lead the Browns to their two best wins in years.

As is the case with any player in the NFL though, everyone has their doubters. McCoy’s specifically have found numerous ways to not only compare him to the likes of former Browns quarterback Charlie Frye, but also Brady Quinn.

We decided to take this argument amongst the fans and break it down statistically and then go from there.

First, as a rookie and also a third round draft choice, Charlie Frye started his career by throwing 4 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 1,002 yards passing and a rating of 72.8 in seven games. He averaged a modest 143.1 passing yards per game that year, but did manage a decent completion rate just shy of 60 percent. Compare that to McCoy’s 197 passing yards per game 60.8 percent completions and we start to get a better picture the two’s similarities.

As rookies, both players we thrust into action with various levels of uncertainty and ended up with very comparable stats with McCoy getting the slight edge due to his YPG average. However, note has to be given to the fact that not only did Frye play behind a less than stellar offensive line, but he also didn’t have nearly the kind of run support that McCoy did early on this season. Eventually though that running game which solely featured Peyton Hillis fell apart by week 15 this year when McCoy returned from injury.

To add even more to the comparison, both quarterbacks laid major eggs in the teams final showings against the Pittsburgh Steelers in their respective seasons. Frye’s team lost 41-0 while McCoy managed to at least put one touchdown on the board in the 41-9 blowout.

Perhaps the most notable statistic going in McCoy’s favor, however is that despite the teams stout running game he still managed to put up an impressive five games with over 200 yards passing while Frye only broke that barrier one time in a loss to the Jaguars.

Additionally, the first round pick golden boy savior of Cleveland, Brady Quinn completed his rookie season with an incredible three completions. Granted Quinn only took eight pass attempts in the 2007 season finale against the San Francisco 49ers.

In 2008, Quinn made his first three career starts putting up 2 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 518 yards passing and a rating of 66.6 (bad omen). He provided a miserable 50.6 percent completion mark and 172.7 passing yards per game.

However, in his sophomore season finale against Houston he came out with a brisk 21.3 passer rating which topped Frye’s low mark of 31.6 against Miami and McCoy’s 27.0 versus Baltimore, both in their rookie years.

It wasn’t until 2009 when Quinn finally saw his first legitimate action when he made nine starts. That season which was his third in the NFL Quinn posted 8 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 1,339 yards passing and a passer rating of 67.2. His brutal completion percentage bumped up to 53.1 percent, but only managed 133.9 passing yards per game.

Most of the Quinn apologists out there cited his lack of playing time or “real shot” when it came to his short comings, but the truth is Quinn never lived up to his status statistically or leadership wise and because of it was dealt away by team president Mike Holmgren almost one year ago.

Outside two gem performances against the Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers (both of which were losses), he simply couldn’t move the offense. The most shocking number of all was perhaps that in his nine starts and ten games in 2009 Quinn scored all eight of his touchdowns in three games.

In other words, in seven games combined in his third season in the NFL Quinn managed to score ZERO touchdowns with his arm. For comparisons sake, McCoy threw touchdowns in five of his eight starts as a rookie.

Additionally, plenty of fans worry about McCoy’s lack of ability to throw the deep ball when judging his future prospects as the teams “franchise quarterback”. However, I have found some stats courtesy Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer from November 21st regarding some of those issues.

McCoy was 27-of-43 on passes of one to 10 yards. That is 63 percent and slightly under the league average of 66 percent. Per Pluto, about 50 percent of most passes are within this range. He was also 16-of-19 (84 percent) on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Surprisingly to some, as the range increases so do McCoy’s numbers. He is 17-of-25 (68 percent) on passes of 11 to 20 yards while most quarterbacks in this area are below 50 percent. Peyton Manning is 50 percent, Drew Brees 55 percent, and Matt Ryan 60 percent all in that 11 to 20 yard range.

On deep balls McCoy’s issue, however has rarely been due to his passes being short. At the time of Pluto’s article on deep balls McCoy had thrown long nine times, and wide six times. Only two of his incompletions to that point were underthrown – which is the most likely type of pass to be intercepted. Additionally, McCoy was completing 63 percent of his passes against the blitz, and 67 percent out of the shotgun.

I was unable to find these stats retrograded to the end of the season following his mediocre performances against the Ravens and Steelers, but none the less they are still quite useful.

Plenty of doubted like to say after a hot start McCoy showed his true colors at the end of the season. However, against the Bengals in week 15 McCoy threw two touchdowns and no interceptions with 243 yards and a 132.6 passer rating. It wasn’t until the wheels fell off the running game in weeks 16 and 17 against the leagues best defenses that McCoy started to struggle throwing only one touchdown to six interceptions in the final two weeks.

As for the immeasurable, McCoy’s rookie season which began with a handful of training camp snaps was certainly one to be optimistic about. He not only proved he has the ability to pass the ball at the NFL level, but that he is completely capable of being a leader.

The issue with Frye and Quinn outside their mediocre play was that they never took a true leadership role on this team. Neither player demanded respect from teammates and coaches and therefore never received it.

McCoy on the other hand posted numbers just as respective as number one overall pick Sam Bradford over a 16 game span and for those who don’t believe it need to check the statistics. In 16 games Bradford threw no touchdowns in five of them, one touchdown in five of them, two touchdowns in five of them, and three touchdowns one time. Bradford threw at least one interception in 10 games and multiple interceptions four times.

Bradford posted a season passer rating of 76.5 in the NFC West which is only two points higher than McCoy’s 74.5 against the AFC North, New England Patriots, New York Jets and New Orleans Saints. Over a 16 game span their numbers would likely have been interchangeable

Bradford is being considered as one of the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year.

The idea behind this article was for it to end up strictly as a presentation of the facts. Go through these young quarter backs, compare their numbers and play and let the readers decide. So despite it being pretty clear where I stand on this argument I encourage you all to give feedback on how or why you could possibly feel any different.

Link (http://clevelandstrikesback.net/browns/colt-mccoy-next-brady-quinn-charlie-frye/)

I don't think he is as bad as Frye or Quinn, but this article brings up some good facts.

DoomTrooper
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm a huge Colt McCoy fan and I think he'll do awesome in the NFL. Hopefully the Browns can help him have a long career.