PDA

View Full Version : mario williams the olb

Kyousukeneko
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
http://houston.sbnation.com/2011/5/5/2154771/houston-texans-de-mario-williams-to-switch-positions

MArio is going to be playing weak side OLB at least part time to make him the biggest OLB in nfl history

SoundsOfSuccess
05-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Terrible defensive coordinator hiring.

They have too many great 43 pieces to go 34.

Williams and Cushing will never be the same.

Kyousukeneko
05-05-2011, 02:24 AM
cushing fits well into the 3-4 as a ILB along with ryan

Mario is an interesting guy he has the athleticism to play olb with the size to play DE in the three-four.

BroncosTX77
05-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Terrible defensive coordinator hiring.

They have too many great 43 pieces to go 34.

Williams and Cushing will never be the same.

If those pieces were great then why was their defense the worst?

Texans defense already had pieces there for 34 that is why Wade took the job.

Cush and Demeco played 34 in college, Barwin was projected as 34 OLB coming out of college.

Antonio Smith played 34 DE in Arizona.

Finally Super Mario probably has more experience than any other 43 DE in zone blitzes than any other in the NFL, in other words he can drop back and cover the flats for his size and he has experience standing up also.

Soon as Wade was hired and he mentioned Bruce Smith I knew this is where Super Mario was headed and icing on the cake was drafting JJ Watt.

Kyousukeneko
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
with his athelticism it is not really surpring to me, i was very curious how they plan on using him in a 3-4

BroncosTX77
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Defensive Wade Phillips expects weak-side linebacker Mario Williams to be in coverage "about 5 percent" of the time.

Phillips is comparing the 282-pound Williams to 262-pound All-Pro DeMarcus Ware, leading NFL Network -- among others -- to overreact to the position switch. Williams won't be used to cover Chris Johnson or Marcedes Lewis out of the backfield, though. Phillips will move him around, creating mismatches on the offensive line and using variations of the 3-4 where the weak-side linebacker essentially functions as a defensive end.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Defensive Wade Phillips expects weak-side linebacker Mario Williams to be in coverage "about 5 percent" of the time.

Phillips is comparing the 282-pound Williams to 262-pound All-Pro DeMarcus Ware, leading NFL Network -- among others -- to overreact to the position switch. Williams won't be used to cover Chris Johnson or Marcedes Lewis out of the backfield, though. Phillips will move him around, creating mismatches on the offensive line and using variations of the 3-4 where the weak-side linebacker essentially functions as a defensive end.

Didn't Cushing have 10 sacks as a rookie? I can't figure for the life of me why they would stick him at SILB.

IMO, they already had a great OLB on the roster.

xX-Bronco-Xx
05-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Hell if Doom can do it a freak like Mario should have no problems adjusting.

BroncosTX77
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Didn't Cushing have 10 sacks as a rookie? I can't figure for the life of me why they would stick him at SILB.

IMO, they already had a great OLB on the roster.

Cush is perfect at SILB in Wade's defense. The SILB job is blitzer and run stuffer, 2 things Cush is quite adept at. He wont blitz as much as Mario will but he is next on the totem pole. Also Wade's defense will give many 43 looks and Cush then can just kick out to SLB.

This defense is gonna be scary, I honestly cannot wait to see them in action.

LDE JJ Watts
NT Shaun Cody
RDE Antonio Smith
WOLB Mario Williams
WILB Demeco Ryans
SILB Brian Cushing
SOLB Brooks Reed/Connor Barwin
LCB Kareem Jackson
RCB ?
FS Glover Quin
SS Shiloh Keo

Rick Smith has inferred they will go hard after Nnamdi in FA, if they get him <shudders>

They should definitely go Battle Red opening day against Peyton.

Brandon Harris will most likely start as Nickel Back

BroncosTX77
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
According to Pro Football Focus, Mario Williams played 113 of his 793 snaps in a two-point stance last season.

This is relevant because Mario will be rushing from a two-point stance on the majority of his snaps in Houston's new 3-4. Williams has experience in a linebacker-type role, and was plenty of productive. PFF suggests a comparison to Tamba Hali, who switched from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside 'backer in Kansas City, and executed with flying colors. These players are strictly pass rushers. They don't try covering tight ends.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Cush is perfect at SILB in Wade's defense. The SILB job is blitzer and run stuffer, 2 things Cush is quite adept at. He wont blitz as much as Mario will but he is next on the totem pole. Also Wade's defense will give many 43 looks and Cush then can just kick out to SLB.

This defense is gonna be scary, I honestly cannot wait to see them in action.

LDE JJ Watts
NT Shaun Cody
RDE Antonio Smith
WOLB Mario Williams
WILB Demeco Ryans
SILB Brian Cushing
SOLB Brooks Reed/Connor Barwin
LCB Kareem Jackson
RCB ?
FS Glover Quin
SS Shiloh Keo

Rick Smith has inferred they will go hard after Nnamdi in FA, if they get him <shudders>

They should definitely go Battle Red opening day against Peyton.

Brandon Harris will most likely start as Nickel Back

They sure look good on paper.

They'll experience some growing pains, but will also make plays and should be a big improvement over last year.