PDA

View Full Version : Chicago and Cutler

Axemaster
05-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Just heard an interview on the Bob Valvano show on ESPN Radio. He was talking to a Chicago Tribune reporter about how Carlos Boozer with the Bulls, Rafael Soriano with the Cubs, and Jay Cutler of the Bears all have in common one FACT. They are all locked into big contracts, have not lived up to those big contracts, and, the one thing I expected all along from Cutler especially, are not very well liked by the City of Chicago , and aren't exactly what you would call fan friendly.

Just would like to hear from some Bears fans out there what they thought of this comment, and if they thought there was any truth in it?:peace:

bears6385
05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Just heard an interview on the Bob Valvano show on ESPN Radio. He was talking to a Chicago Tribune reporter about how Carlos Boozer with the Bulls, Rafael Soriano with the Cubs, and Jay Cutler of the Bears all have in common one FACT. They are all locked into big contracts, have not lived up to those big contracts, and, the one thing I expected all along from Cutler especially, are not very well liked by the City of Chicago , and aren't exactly what you would call fan friendly.

Just would like to hear from some Bears fans out there what they thought of this comment, and if they thought there was any truth in it?:peace:Oh I think Cutler is living up to his contract. Remember Cutler is still the best QB the Bears have had in decades. Fans, coaches, and teammates are all behind Cutler in Chicago, as was well documented after the NFC championship game.

For Cutler to fully develop in Mike Martz's offense we still need more help on the OL and a go to receiver in free agency before the 2011 season opens.:peace:

Angrybearsfan
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
After 2006, the Bears went into a huge decline and missed the play-offs three years in a row. They have never had a QB with half the skills Cutler has, and when the opportunity came they took advantage of it.

He has been the Bears QB for two years, and they made it to the NFC Championship game in his second year.

Can he play better, sure, but anytime you bring in a QB for the sole reason to win games and you not only get to the play-offs but secure home field advantage and make it pretty far I think that qualifies it as a success.

He needs to play better against the Packers though, and that might be the stat to look for over the course of his career with the Bears if both teams are play off caliber.

Cutler won about 4 games this year with his arm while only losing one game with his arm (Redskins). You and I have both seen what Orton can do in the 4th quarter and when the game is on the line AND when the play breaks down.

When one team loses it's head coach, draft picks do not produce from the trade, and the QB they got from that trade is benched in his second year for a guy with questionable passing skills....and the other team makes it to the NFC Championship game, I think that pretty much ends the discussion right there.

You have every right to dislike Cutler for leaving the team, but don't sit here and think the Broncos made out as the better team that day.

05-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I think the Chicago media doesn't like Cutler but I think most fans still like him.

I'm a lot more ticked off at the coaching staff than Cutler. When Cutler left the Bears/Packers playoff game with an injury, why wasn't Caleb Hanie the number 2 man? Cutler had been ineffective in that game anyway, so I had no problem with him sitting out. For the coaching staff to even have had Todd Collins on the roster blows my mind. I'm no fan of Lovie Dovie Smith or Mike Martz. If the Bears want to save money on contracts, let's start right there.

Right now, most of the attention in Chicago is on Derrick Rose. He is the man. GO BULLS!!

bronx_2003
05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
After 2006, the Bears went into a huge decline and missed the play-offs three years in a row. They have never had a QB with half the skills Cutler has, and when the opportunity came they took advantage of it.

He has been the Bears QB for two years, and they made it to the NFC Championship game in his second year.

Can he play better, sure, but anytime you bring in a QB for the sole reason to win games and you not only get to the play-offs but secure home field advantage and make it pretty far I think that qualifies it as a success.

He needs to play better against the Packers though, and that might be the stat to look for over the course of his career with the Bears if both teams are play off caliber.

Cutler won about 4 games this year with his arm while only losing one game with his arm (Redskins). You and I have both seen what Orton can do in the 4th quarter and when the game is on the line AND when the play breaks down.

When one team loses it's head coach, draft picks do not produce from the trade, and the QB they got from that trade is benched in his second year for a guy with questionable passing skills....and the other team makes it to the NFC Championship game, I think that pretty much ends the discussion right there.

You have every right to dislike Cutler for leaving the team, but don't sit here and think the Broncos made out as the better team that day.

Moreno and Ayers are very important players for Denver. The first 2 years have been too injury ridden but they have shown good things at times. Going into the 3rd year they need to stay healthy and produce.

As far as the QB's go I like Tebow and he'll be very good QB, his last 3 games were very promising.......but I'll not go into the 'Tebow' argument.

I, and I think ALOT of Denver fans, do not and never did think Orton was the answer, he was just a stop-gap QB we have had until a younger QB comes along....and hopefully one has.

Cutler though, is not a winner, never will be. Alot of fans used to get annoyed at his lack of energy on the field, him moping around on the field and in interviews but put it down to his young age.......an excuse really.

Chicago were never really an NFC Champ. team, everyone knew it. They had a very lucky season and then got a losing team at home, once they met a healthy GB team it was no contest...........and their 'success' was down to the D mainly and especially Peppers. I believe the D was ranked very high and the O very low.

When NFL players, media and fans slammed Cutler after pulling out at half time and then showing no interest or support to Hanie or Chicago it was no surprise to Bronco fans who had seen it all before.....on the field, in interviews and when he cried his way out of Denver.

Supporting someone like Tebow is great after Cutler.

:logo:

Atwnbroncfan
05-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Just would like to hear from some Bears fans out there what they thought of this comment, and if they thought there was any truth in it?:peace:

How can Chicago fans complain about boozer and cutler. Both just got to Chicago.

BroncoFanBoy
05-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Don't you mean Alphonso Soriano? Rafael Soriano never played for the Cubs.

I'm sure the Bears fans will stand up for Cutler.

beastlyskronk
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
How can Chicago fans complain about boozer and cutler. Both just got to Chicago.

Well Boozer is playing with one of the best pure scorers in the NBA and he can't do much although he hasn't been healthy all year but Chicago knew of his injury troubles going into the deal.

Gordon Freeman
05-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Cutler has been awesome for the bears.

jcdavey
05-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Cutler has been awesome for the bears.

50 tds and 42 ints (+ 7 lost fumbles)
less than 7000 yards and 87 sacks in 2 seasons is awesome now?

really?

johnlimburg
05-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Also he had one of the easier runs to a confrence game. A week off which was earned however one playoff win against the Sea Chickens. He isn't special.

Frankenpost
05-21-2011, 07:07 AM
2010 NFC North Champions and a 1-1 Playoff record, with a NFCCG appearance... yeah i feel really sorry for chicago Jay really sucks. :coffee:

kratos_godofwar
05-22-2011, 12:04 AM

I don't know much of Chicago, but as a sports fan. I would have to agree that they have not lived up to their big contracts. Boozer, I'm still the fence on. Cutler was brought in to put up big scores and yards and win a SB. He's yet to do that on a consistent basis. What will the Bears do once Urlacher is gone? They suffered when he went down 2 years ago. They have Peppers, but he is on the back end of his career also. The defense for Chicago is the difference between winning and the Bears offense not losing it for them.

jcdavey
05-22-2011, 01:28 AM
2010 NFC North Champions and a 1-1 Playoff record, with a NFCCG appearance... yeah i feel really sorry for chicago Jay really sucks. :coffee:

50 tds and 49 turonvers over 2 seasons doesn't = awesome lol

Denver Mike
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
50 tds and 49 turonvers over 2 seasons doesn't = awesome lol

Chargers fan has a point. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have both had 50 TD's in a single SEASON before.. now average at 40-45..

Jay should at LEAST be hitting the 60 mark for these TWO years if he wants to be anywhere NEAR the elite category.. Right now he's throwing in the Matt Cassel range..

Don't even get me started on the 49 turnovers...

Axemaster
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM

I for one am GLAD both Cutler and Mickey D are gone, and the Broncos have NOT made out as a better team that day, but it is because of the decline of the DEFENSE, not anything to do with the passing game, which has actually been as good if not better.

Axemaster
05-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Don't you mean Alphonso Soriano? Rafael Soriano never played for the Cubs.

I'm sure the Bears fans will stand up for Cutler.

I guess it was Alphonso, I am just repeating what I heard on the radio interview.

jcdavey
05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Chargers fan has a point. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have both had 50 TD's in a single SEASON before.. now average at 40-45..

Jay should at LEAST be hitting the 60 mark for these TWO years if he wants to be anywhere NEAR the elite category.. Right now he's throwing in the Matt Cassel range..

if he'd have had 50 tds and like 25 turnovers , now that's awesome

look at my boy rivers, his first 2 seasons starting, a total of 43 tds and 32 turnovers

his next three years, 92 tds and 44 turnovers

that's called progression to elite status

that's all ya gotta do Jay...just progress and cut down on the turnovers

PrideisBears
05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
if he'd have had 50 tds and like 25 turnovers , now that's awesome

look at my boy rivers, his first 2 seasons starting, a total of 43 tds and 32 turnovers

his next three years, 92 tds and 44 turnovers

that's called progression to elite status

that's all ya gotta do Jay...just progress and cut down on the turnovers

Both Cutler and Rivers have made it to their respective championship games and Jay with way less especially on the Bears. Rivers has great WR's, great OL and has been in the same system for years, Jay has sub-par WR's, the worst OL in the league and has been in Martz's system for half a year.

So yeah Rivers is elite but just like the Chargers in general, he's is a loser and won't be going anywhere but don't worry Im sure the media will tell you that the Chargers will win the AFC West again after losing most of their games before their bye week.....except every other team has improved greatly in this division as well soooooooo maybe not?

Oh I have to ask How can your team manage to have the number 1 ranked offense and defense and still miss the playoffs?

PrideisBears
05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
I for one am GLAD both Cutler and Mickey D are gone, and the Broncos have NOT made out as a better team that day, but it is because of the decline of the DEFENSE, not anything to do with the passing game, which has actually been as good if not better.

Funny thing about that is that when Jay was here the defense was bad as well and yet you guys could at least look competitive in a game and at least have a .500 record but as soon as MCD sent everyone packing look what happened. Oh and the passing game was great when the game was already out of hand

AC1
05-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Both Cutler and Rivers have made it to their respective championship games and Jay with way less especially on the Bears. Rivers has great WR's, great OL and has been in the same system for years, Jay has sub-par WR's, the worst OL in the league and has been in Martz's system for half a year.

So yeah Rivers is elite but just like the Chargers in general, he's is a loser and won't be going anywhere but don't worry Im sure the media will tell you that the Chargers will win the AFC West again after losing most of their games before their bye week.....except every other team has improved greatly in this division as well soooooooo maybe not?

Oh I have to ask How can your team manage to have the number 1 ranked offense and defense and still miss the playoffs?

Pwned

Rivers was handed the most talented roster in the NFL with the best running back of the past decade and has absolutely nothing to show for it. He's had two of the best offensive co-ordinators in Cam Cameron and Norv Turner, running the same scheme throughout his tenure in the NFL. The guy has been given every tool possbile to win a Super Bowl, yet boasts a stunning 3-4 record with 8 TDs and 9 INTs in the playoffs.

By comparison, Cutler has carried poor teams all his career with changing offensive co-ordinators and the one time he got a good defense, he immediately went to the NFC Championship Game (in his first year in a new offense). Even there, had he not gotten injured, there's a good chance he would have brought his team back in the second half.

The last time Cutler got a second year in the same offense (in 2008), he took the Broncos to an 8-5 record before the unprecedented number of injuries took their toll on us. That same year, Rivers (who was in his 4th year in the same system) with a comparable (but much better) defense, the best TE in the game and LT and Sproles in his backfield took his team to a 5-8 record (before their defense was drastically improved by Ron Rivera and started averaging 3 turnovers a game).

To top this off, one QB helps disadvantaged kids while the other runs his mouth off to opposing fans. I'm certainly glad the right guy was on my team, even if for a short while.

Kyousukeneko
05-23-2011, 06:51 PM
he had a D but you still need a good Qb to win. i mean i can't name a top D this year that won alone

Packers d/Rodgers
Bears d/Cutler
Steelers D/rothlisberger
jets D/Sanchez

you need both a franchise QB(which cutler is) and a great D

AC1
05-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Like Rivers did when he had the same injury? Jay was getting blasted that entire season and had the worst OL in the NFL, He got sacked in every game and got hit at least 6 times a game but never gave up or threw anyone under the bus even after he got his concussion during the Giant's game. Sorry your argument holds no merit

When Cutler had to leave the game due to injury, he quietly stayed on the sideline and helped out his backup. When Rivers left his playoff game due to injury, he just left to the locker-room, and the class-act that he is taunted fans on his way out.

05-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Hey prideisbears,

The Bears don't have the worst OL in the league. Most offensive lines are going to look bad under the Martz system because there are so many 7 step drops and the D knows it. There were also plenty of times when guys were open but Cutler wasn't going through his progressions. Instead, he was concentrating on one guy.

Peerless
05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Pwned

Rivers was handed the most talented roster in the NFL with the best running back of the past decade and has absolutely nothing to show for it. He's had two of the best offensive co-ordinators in Cam Cameron and Norv Turner, running the same scheme throughout his tenure in the NFL. The guy has been given every tool possbile to win a Super Bowl, yet boasts a stunning 3-4 record with 8 TDs and 9 INTs in the playoffs.

By comparison, Cutler has carried poor teams all his career with changing offensive co-ordinators and the one time he got a good defense, he immediately went to the NFC Championship Game (in his first year in a new offense). Even there, had he not gotten injured, there's a good chance he would have brought his team back in the second half.

The last time Cutler got a second year in the same offense (in 2008), he took the Broncos to an 8-5 record before the unprecedented number of injuries took their toll on us. That same year, Rivers (who was in his 4th year in the same system) with a comparable (but much better) defense, the best TE in the game and LT and Sproles in his backfield took his team to a 5-8 record (before their defense was drastically improved by Ron Rivera and started averaging 3 turnovers a game).

To top this off, one QB helps disadvantaged kids while the other runs his mouth off to opposing fans. I'm certainly glad the right guy was on my team, even if for a short while.
On point (as usual) AC1.

nyuk nyuk
05-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Didn't we have the best offense in the NFL when McD came in? If it wasn't tops, it was damn near it. McD in general was a walking disaster, although he did make some good moves; Tebow and the corps of recievers he put together are, if you ask me, the most dangerous group of guys in the NFL. We haven't missed Brandon at all.

Peerless
05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Didn't we have the best offense in the NFL when McD came in? If it wasn't tops, it was damn near it. McD in general was a walking disaster, although he did make some good moves; Tebow and the corps of recievers he put together are, if you ask me, the most dangerous group of guys in the NFL. We haven't missed Brandon at all.

We had the #2 overall offense and the #29th ranked defense.

And yet, McD decided to tinker with the better half.

Way to go champ.

johnlimburg
05-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeh sure we had the 2nd overall offense in terms of yards. But:

* We were 16th in total scoring (Most important stat for an offense)
* 25th in time of possesion (Leaving that defense on the field for a long time)
* Worst turnover ration with -17(defense didn't help this though)

Sure we had some good young pieces and we were a very good offense however to say we were one of the best over and over is not true. Saying that Mcdaniels shouldn't have came in here and tried to change everything around.

Yardage isn't everything.

Peerless
05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeh sure we had the 2nd overall offense in terms of yards. But:

* We were 16th in total scoring (Most important stat for an offense)
* 25th in time of possesion (Leaving that defense on the field for a long time)
* Worst turnover ration with -17(defense didn't help this though)

Sure we had some good young pieces and we were a very good offense however to say we were one of the best over and over is not true. Saying that Mcdaniels shouldn't have came in here and tried to change everything around.

Yardage isn't everything.

It doesn't take a genius to decide what needed to be fixed: The #2 offense, or the #29 ranked defense. It's not rocket science.

Sure the offense HAD flaws. But some people fail to realize how YOUNG of an offense that was in terms of player ages at their respective positions, and in terms of gelling. Take that, and the fact that we blew threw 7 starting running backs, #2 looks very pretty.

Yardage isn't everything, but with time to gel and grow there is no way anyone can sit here and tell me that they wouldn't put more points up on the board.

Sure, some tweaks needed to be done. But there was no NEED to blow up the entire offense, by first trading your 25 year old (franchise) quarterback coming off his very first pro bowl nod.

Let's compare what McDaniels changed. I decided to compare the 2008 vs 2010 (just to give McD the benefit of doubt his rookie year coaching).

2008 offensive yards/game: 395.8 Better.
2010 offensive yards/game: 348.9

2008 offensive points/game: 23.1 Better.
2010 offensive points/game: 21.5

2008 offensive ranking: #2 Overall Better
2010 current ranking: #13 Overall

How about that defense that he SHOULD have fixed?

2008 defense yards/game: 374.6
2010 defense yards/game: 390.8 Worse.

2008 points/game given up: 28.0
2010 points/game given up: 29.4 Worse.

2008 final ranking of defense: #29 overall
2010 current ranking of defense: #32 overall Worse.

McDaniels failed, plain and simple.

-Rod-
05-31-2011, 01:07 AM
Even with the reputation of being a "superior football mind", McDaniels did not get a head coaching job after being fired. Several NFL teams hired new head coaches. Some of them never had the title before, some were interim coaches in 2011. McDaniels is back where he belongs, as an offensive coordinator. Jay Cutler remains a franchise QB. The Broncos are looking for a franchise QB.

bears6385
06-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey prideisbears,

The Bears don't have the worst OL in the league. Most offensive lines are going to look bad under the Martz system because there are so many 7 step drops and the D knows it. There were also plenty of times when guys were open but Cutler wasn't going through his progressions. Instead, he was concentrating on one guy.Total BS..........Cutler was the most hit QB in the league and that's on the OL.

Seven step drops........did not happen much after the Bears bye week, when they took control of the NFC North.

Hard to go through your progressions when you are the most pressured QB in the league, but even then he preformed well under pressure.

Cutler might go to one guy if he had a go to receiver here in Chicago like he did in Denver........but he doesn't, so your argument just does not hold water.

Broncos-R-Great
06-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Total BS..........Cutler was the most hit QB in the league and that's on the OL.

Seven step drops........did not happen much after the Bears bye week, when they took control of the NFC North.

Hard to go through your progressions when you are the most pressured QB in the league, but even then he preformed well under pressure.

Cutler might go to one guy if he had a go to receiver here in Chicago like he did in Denver........but he doesn't, so your argument just does not hold water.

When you think about it, its amazing the Bears did as good as they did. There were games that Cutler was simply beaten and battered. The o-line is to blame, but some of that blame has to fall on Martz's shoulders as well, his playcalling did nothing to help Jay.

bears6385
06-05-2011, 08:35 AM
When you think about it, its amazing the Bears did as good as they did. There were games that Cutler was simply beaten and battered. The o-line is to blame, but some of that blame has to fall on Martz's shoulders as well, his playcalling did nothing to help Jay.On Martz you are correct up to a point. Over the first seven games Cutler was getting killed in Martz's offense. With little OL help Martz was still calling his version of "Air Coryell" with all the 5 and 7 step drops. Now by the same token over the Bears last nine games you have to give credit to Martz for putting his ego in check and going to a more balanced attack leaning heavily on Matt Forte the best all around player on the Bears offense.

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Oh I think Cutler is living up to his contract. Remember Cutler is still the best QB the Bears have had in decades. Fans, coaches, and teammates are all behind Cutler in Chicago, as was well documented after the NFC championship game.

For Cutler to fully develop in Mike Martz's offense we still need more help on the OL and a go to receiver in free agency before the 2011 season opens.:peace:I thought Jay did a good job last season,he had a better season than i anticipated.He looked really confortable in the pocket not having to do to much,just enough to win games.

The media imo had it out for Jay when he got hurt.The Bears coaching staff tried to play it safe,thinking they could beat Green Bay without Jay with their defense,and the decision to go without Jay burned them.Jay looked upset about coming out the game,which was not his fault.

The Bears saved Jay for the superbowl game and they never got passed GreenBay,terrible coaching decision if you ask me.

Safety
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the Jeff George range. :D

AC1
06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
I thought Jay did a good job last season,he had a better season than i anticipated.He looked really confortable in the pocket not having to do to much,just enough to win games.

The media imo had it out for Jay when he got hurt.The Bears coaching staff tried to play it safe,thinking they could beat Green Bay without Jay with their defense,and the decision to go without Jay burned them.Jay looked upset about coming out the game,which was not his fault.

The Bears saved Jay for the superbowl game and they never got passed GreenBay,terrible coaching decision if you ask me.

I have to agree about the media having it out for a guy who doesn't suck up to them the way other QBs do. However, I do genuinely believe Cutler couldn't play. This is arguably the toughest QB in the league. He played pretty much the entire second quarter with that injury and would have gone on if he could. He just doesn't make a big fuss about it.

I have little doubt that if Cutler doesn't get injured that Chicago wins that game. The Packers got off to a bit of a hot start but did zilch after that for the rest of the game. Cutler has beaten **** Lebeau's defenses (a defensive style Green Bay runs) by watching their blitzes for three quarters and carving them up at the end of the game. Packers were lucky he got hurt when he did.

johnlimburg
07-03-2011, 02:26 AM
It doesn't take a genius to decide what needed to be fixed: The #2 offense, or the #29 ranked defense. It's not rocket science.

No doubt.

Sure the offense HAD flaws. But some people fail to realize how YOUNG of an offense that was in terms of player ages at their respective positions, and in terms of gelling. Take that, and the fact that we blew threw 7 starting running backs, #2 looks very pretty.

Yeh I know. In my post I was just pointing out that we were NOT the number two offense like people say. I even said he shouldn't have come in here and ripped it apart in the last line of my post.

Yardage isn't everything, but with time to gel and grow there is no way anyone can sit here and tell me that they wouldn't put more points up on the board.

Yep. I agree.

Sure, some tweaks needed to be done. But there was no NEED to blow up the entire offense, by first trading your 25 year old (franchise) quarterback coming off his very first pro bowl nod.

I agree.

Let's compare what McDaniels changed. I decided to compare the 2008 vs 2010 (just to give McD the benefit of doubt his rookie year coaching).

2008 offensive yards/game: 395.8 Better.
2010 offensive yards/game: 348.9

2008 offensive points/game: 23.1 Better.
2010 offensive points/game: 21.5

2008 offensive ranking: #2 Overall Better
2010 current ranking: #13 Overall

I agree. He made everything worst.

How about that defense that he SHOULD have fixed?

2008 defense yards/game: 374.6
2010 defense yards/game: 390.8 Worse.

2008 points/game given up: 28.0
2010 points/game given up: 29.4 Worse.

2008 final ranking of defense: #29 overall
2010 current ranking of defense: #32 overall Worse.

Yeh I know. It is embarrassing he left us with a worst defense then what he inherited.

McDaniels failed, plain and simple.

I agree.

You misunderstood my post. I was just simply pointing out that we did not have the 2nd best offense in the NFL in 2008. Everything you said I agree with.

:salute: