PDA

View Full Version : Next First Time Champ and Last First Time Champion

Southstander
06-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Since the Broncos won their first Super Bowl the Pats, Rams, Ravens, Bucs and Saints have all won there first Championship. So who do you think will be the next first time winner and who will be the last? Please not this is NOT posted in the smack area, so give your honest smack free option.

Next Falcons or Chargers
Last Browns. Atleast the way things are right now. The Steelers and Ravens are to good for the Browns to get past both will be to hard to pull off.

jcdavey
06-16-2011, 09:13 PM
if my chargers can't i'd love to see the falcons and turner do it

browns would be cool too

lions lol

Alastor
06-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Cleveland is far from the worst team in the NFL, and they've been close to the Super Bowl at least three times.

Meanwhile, let's talk about Detroit, who even when their division was weak couldn't get within three games of the big dance.

The Browns certainly have their issues, but they're in an historically tough division and once ruled it with an iron fist.

Detroit is in a division that I grant you, is home to the Packers, but between 1970 and last season, they only went to two Super Bowls. One of which they won against a New England team that really didn't belong there, and one where they got shown the door by our very own Denver Broncos.

There has been a large window of opportunity for the Lions, while the window of opportunity for the Browns has been pretty tight. Even so, the Browns have been quite near stardom at least three times, if not more. The Lions have never even come close enough to the magic rainbow to tell you what colors it is.

There are lots of reasons the Browns haven't made it. The Steelers are a big one, the Ravens are another, internal issues might be third on their list of issues, but even they managed to put together a Super Bowl caliber team three times.

Meanwhile, the Lions really have never come close, and not because the Packers, Bears and Vikings have kept them out.

The Browns have obstacles other than themselves in the way, and have historically even been able to overcome those. The Lions have had long stretches with absolutely nothing in their way, and still can't even come close.

Owners change, coaches change, and teams change, but I think that if you look back at which of these teams has come the closest you'll find that the Browns were pretty close quite a few times. The Lions... Never even really had a chance.

I'd have to say that the Chargers are the odds on favorite at this point to win one in the near future.

I also think that only a drunkard or a moron would ever pick the Lions to be anything but the last ship in from the storm.

jetrazor74
06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Both the Lions and the Browns have won NFL Championships, although, yes, it's been long long ago, but they did it.

So while their organizations may not have a Lombardi Trophy to adorn their trophy case, the case sure as heck isn't empty.

In fact the 1950's was dominated by the Browns and the Lions with 6 NFL championships combined, including back to back NFL Titles for each team.

And since the question posed was not about Super Bowls, but rather Championships, you have to scratch both of those teams off your list of "Not Yets."

From the following list of teams to never be champions of the NFL,

Minnesota Vikings
Buffalo Bills
Cincinnati Bengals
Tennessee Titans
San Diego Chargers
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars

I'd say the Falcons are currently the closest to it, while the Texans may be about the furthest.

And technically speaking, you could also add the Kansas City Chiefs and the NY Jets to that list, since they were AFL teams and not NFL teams when they won the Super Bowl.

jetrazor74
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
To clarify:

He said NFL championships.

Technically speaking, the Jets and Chiefs were champions of the AFL. They were not IN the NFL, so could not be champions OF the NFL, despite beating the NFL champions.

The Colts and the Vikings were still technically the NFL champions.

But it's all moot. I only offered that as a bit of trivia. If you take another look, I still have the Vikings listed as a team that has not won a championship.

Charlie Brown
06-16-2011, 11:03 PM
The last time the Browns were the NFL Champions was in 1964.

So, in order to be the "last to win it" they would first not to have won anything.

So, inheritantly, the Browns should not be on the list you provided because they have a history of being NFL Champions and are recognized by the NFL. Yes, it is not a Super Bowl. However, the NFL did not begin with the Super Bowl.

jetrazor74
06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
The last time the Browns were the NFL Champions was in 1964.

So, in order to be the "last to win it" they would first not to have won anything.

So, inheritantly, the Browns should not be on the list you provided because they have a history of being NFL Champions and are recognized by the NFL. Yes, it is not a Super Bowl. However, the NFL did not begin with the Super Bowl.

I already said that, Charlie... :coffee:

Charlie Brown
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I already said that, Charlie... :coffee:

Well, I don't read every post.

powderblues
06-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Hmm, well the obvious favorites for first time champs would be:

Eagles, Chargers

Then I'd say the Falcons, but they're not ready yet.

The NFC is wide open though, so the Falcons and Eagles have a better chance then the Chargers.

The Chargers would likely have to beat teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens in their stadium deep in the playoffs, I just don't see that happening.

But I hope. :)

baphamet
06-17-2011, 07:22 AM
i think the Texans are a lot closer now with wade as their DC.

the falcons and Texans would be the two favorites in my opinion.

Southstander
06-17-2011, 07:23 AM
I said SUPER BOWL, not NFL Champions. CB once again you are getting you knickers in knots over something that was never said.

EddieMac
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know what that last piece is that will get the Chargers over the top.

I was sure it was losing some of the cancers on the team, such as Merriman and LT (for his whining, I know he was great)

I see the Texans getting there but the change in D from 4-3 to 3-4 could set them back a bit.

the Falcons are right there. I like how they saw what beat them and went after that piece in the draft so they could do the same.

The Eagles are right there too and putting pieces in place.

I would love for the Lions to get there but....no close enough yet.

So I say one of Chargers, Eagles, or Falcons.

Charlie Brown
06-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I said SUPER BOWL, not NFL Champions. CB once again you are getting you knickers in knots over something that was never said.

Title says "First Time Champ vs Last Time Champ".

Doesn't say "First Time SB Champ vs Last Time SB Champ".

RealBronco
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Title says "First Time Champ vs Last Time Champ".

Doesn't say "First Time SB Champ vs Last Time SB Champ".

you must not have read his post either then :rolleyes:

he very specifically mentions Super Bowl Champions in his actual post. you should never assume anything based on the title of anything. that'd be like judging the book by its cover.

it was actually Al and Jet that brought in the championships from the pre-Super Bowl era.

Charlie Brown
06-19-2011, 01:16 PM

he very specifically mentions Super Bowl Champions in his actual post. you should never assume anything based on the title of anything. that'd be like judging the book by its cover.

it was actually Al and Jet that brought in the championships from the pre-Super Bowl era.

Whatever.

Who is going to win the Super Bowl next?

Who knows? There might not even be a football season let alone a Super Bowl.

Furthermore, if there isn't a football season who is to say that the NFL will be able to recover with the economy being as poor as it is. A lot of people are already angry at the NFL and there are numerous disgruntled fans who may simply just walk away.

ebsoria
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Well, to try to get this thread back on track... I think the Falcons are closer then any other team that has not.

Someone above made a good point that SD has a steep hill to climb still because of the strong teams in the AFC.

AC1
06-20-2011, 08:27 AM
The Falcons are the odds-on favorite, though I like the Texans as well. I don't see San Diego winning a championship until they get a new QB, preferably one that can do better than a 8-9 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs with the most talented roster in the league.

Southstander
06-20-2011, 09:07 AM
If some one truly wants to parse hairs the Jets have never been "NFL" Champions. At the time they done Super Bowl III they where a member of the old AFL.

PowderAddict
06-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Next: Lions
Last: Browns

Never Will: Chargers (monkey neuts something something :P):D :D :peace::goz:

jetrazor74
06-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Actually... you didn't.

You named some teams that have won their first Championship since the Broncos won the Super Bowl... but then you specifically stated NFL Championship.

I suggest re-reading your first post before belittling others.

jetrazor74
06-20-2011, 04:39 PM

the Pats, Rams, Ravens, Bucs and Saints have all won there first Championship. So who do you think will be the next first time winner and who will be the last?

Exact quote.

RB, South said Championship. If he only meant Super Bowls, he should have specifically stated that, not used "championship."

He has since clarified it, but both you and South need to back off of Charlie. He' the correct one in this instance.

12and4
06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
lol, then in that case... why didn't you mention the chargers' championship :P

He never said NFL championship in the OP neither...