PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Cutler and the NFCCG

AC1
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
There was a lot of very unflattering comments tossed in Cutler's direction by all kinds of folks in the aftermath of the NFC Championship Game, especially in regards to his toughness. It seemed odd to me that a QB who was known, as much as anything in fact, for his toughness would be questioned thus. Everything one heard about his career, right from Vanderbilt, suggested a guy that if nothing else, was tough as hell.

The source for a lot of his critics was a 5 second snapshot that Fox Sports showed. What I found recently was a clip of a sideline reporter for the local CBS station (I think) who was around Cutler and the Chicago coaching staff when the whole incident played out.

Give it a listen, especially the early part of the clip. It is very, very revealing.

CLIP (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2F redirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2F d0%2Fd0%2FdW%2FdN%2Fd8%2Fd2%2FWN82_3.MP3%3Fauthtok %3D5561361597031548838_IfcXmBm475Tsp5HyygWMYOb8IY&podcast_name=Boers+and+Bernstein+Hour+5+-+1%2F24%2F11&podcast_artist=Boers+and+Bernstein&station_id=391&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.CHI)

fraguela09
06-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I heard Nick Collins on THE HERD the other day... He was asked who was the worst QB, or at least the easiest to read... What QB he loved playing against and had no problem figuring out... He said Jay Cutler.

Bernie24
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Jay Cutler is easier to figure out than Sanchez or Clausen or Jason Campbell

lmao

AC1
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
I heard Nick Collins on THE HERD the other day... He was asked who was the worst QB, or at least the easiest to read... What QB he loved playing against and had no problem figuring out... He said Jay Cutler.

Not sure if your post belongs in this thread :confused:

Peerless
06-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Anyone questioning Cutler and his toughness needs a serious reality check.

This guy played pro football as an UNDIAGNOSED Type 1 diabetic. He could have been killed.

AC1
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Anyone questioning Cutler and his toughness needs a serious reality check.

This guy played pro football as an UNDIAGNOSED Type 1 diabetic. He could have been killed.

Agreed. That's the thing that puzzled me - you can question Cutler's accuracy or ball-security or some other weaknesses of his, but to question arguably the thing he's most known for was just stupid.

Anyway, if you listen to the clip, you will hear the reporter (who admits to not being a big Cutler fan) talk about how much Cutler did to go back in the game. He fought with the coaches and trainers to go back in on a knee that Olin Kreutz says was "wobbling around". The reporter also talks about the Giants game when Cutler was concussed and walking to the wrong sideline and still insisted on going back to the huddle.

The clip gives one a version the national coverage just did not.

PowderAddict
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
As much as I despise Cutler I've never questioned his physical toughness. Mental and emotional toughness, well that's another story.

All the Bears fans I personally know have been ripping Cutler up and down. I love the fact that there are still Denver fans - a "6" in Cutler's book defending him, whereas many of the Cutler rated "9" fans don't have his back.

He may be physically tough, but he made his bed, I don't feel sorry for him one bit for what he's going through.

LordTrychon
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
As much as I despise Cutler I've never questioned his physical toughness. Mental and emotional toughness, well that's another story.

All the Bears fans I personally know have been ripping Cutler up and down. I love the fact that there are still Denver fans - a "6" in Cutler's book defending him, whereas many of the Cutler rated "9" fans don't have his back.

He may be physically tough, but he made his bed, I don't feel sorry for him one bit for what he's going through.

The 'bed' he made was having fans complain about his mental outlook as you're doing.

That he earned and should have to deal with.

The bias that he's faced due to coverage, etc. about his being too wimpy to go back in... that wasn't really something he's earned, IMO.

PowderAddict
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
The 'bed' he made was having fans complain about his mental outlook as you're doing.

That he earned and should have to deal with.

The bias that he's faced due to coverage, etc. about his being too wimpy to go back in... that wasn't really something he's earned, IMO.

He had 90% of this fanbase behind him. He was the next big QB. I'm not saying the spat that lead to his trade was 100% his fault, but I blame Cutler 100% for how HE handled it. McDaniels was no saint, and he is to blame for his actions, but Cutler basically got out of town as quickly as possible, insulted the fans on the way out, and showed little respect for the oranization that drafted him.

If the same thing happened here in Denver, 90% of us would have had his back, passionately I'd venture (the fact that so many still support him so passionately supports this).

He directly insulted the Denver fans, and showed no respect for the Denver Bronco organization. That's what I blame Cutler for. He went to a fanbase that he preferred, and that supposedly superior fanbase has ripped him to shreds. He wanted them, he can have them.

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Jay Cutler is easier to figure out than Sanchez or Clausen or Jason Campbell

lmaoThat was the reason Josh McDaniels got rid of Jay,he was easy to figure out.So we drafted Tebow who was hard to figure out.I guess thats the theory lol.

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM

He may be physically tough, but he made his bed, I don't feel sorry for him one bit for what he's going through.Jay probably couldnt take the hits,they were crushing him in that game.I understand what your saying Powder,i'm still pissed off at Jay by the way he acted.I was one of his #1 fans while he was here in Denver.

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/71312520-clay-matthews.jpg

red19
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Jay probably couldnt take the hits,they were crushing him in that game

http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/71312520-clay-matthews.jpg

Indeed they were.....
The fact that Lovie Smith went with Caleb Hanie a guy who had previously completed only 8 NFL passes over a 16 vet in Todd Collins at the most important stage of the season for the Bears told me everything......

The only chance Chicago had was to put someone in with some mobility in order to combat the fierce defensive pressure GB brought all day. Cutlers injury had him immobilized, Collins is a statue, Hanie came in and played well becaue of his legs buying time. I like Cutler and I wish he could have finished that game but the game dictated the neccesity of a mobile QB.

johnlimburg
07-01-2011, 12:37 AM
That was the reason Josh McDaniels got rid of Jay,he was easy to figure out.So we drafted Tebow who was hard to figure out.I guess thats the theory lol.

:laugh: .

demonicbroncos
07-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Indeed they were.....
The fact that Lovie Smith went with Caleb Hanie a guy who had previously completed only 8 NFL passes over a 16 vet in Todd Collins at the most important stage of the season for the Bears told me everything......

The only chance Chicago had was to put someone in with some mobility in order to combat the fierce defensive pressure GB brought all day. Cutlers injury had him immobilized, Collins is a statue, Hanie came in and played well becaue of his legs buying time. I like Cutler and I wish he could have finished that game but the game dictated the neccesity of a mobile QB.

Orton won't last six games with that offensive line. The Green Bay pass rush was having a field day against the Bears Oline.

RealBronco
07-01-2011, 01:28 AM
the only thing i don't get is:

how was he able to walk around perfectly fine the next day, shopping with his girlfriend?

jcdavey
07-01-2011, 01:47 AM

how was he able to walk around perfectly fine the next day, shopping with his girlfriend?

shoppers adrenaline

AC1
07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm curious as to how many posters jumping on this thread to pile on Cutler even listened to the clip. It's basic courtesy when you're commenting on a thread to at least process its content.

The reason for this thread is the clip. It provides a perspective I had never heard about to date. All that we had to go on till now were 5-second clips from Fox's coverage of the game. This reporter was there and tells the whole story. It's unfortunate that people just don't want to listen.

BroncoSexyDaddy
07-01-2011, 09:24 AM

how was he able to walk around perfectly fine the next day, shopping with his girlfriend?I think you are talking about this

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1w0zX4cOftHTS0Fc45G357CnqVkpRq VMWeKI5jgPXbZCJZT97mA

BroncoBryce
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Cutler cried his way out of town. He acted out when he wasn't consulted with on who the next coach was, and when he realized he wasn't going to get a big contract extension unless he earned it with the new staff.
It was a very calculated move by him and his agent. It worked.

#24 Next Champ
07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I think you are talking about this

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1w0zX4cOftHTS0Fc45G357CnqVkpRq VMWeKI5jgPXbZCJZT97mA

Lol damn he even stays away from his girl...y they so far apart....dude has no style either

But idk I'm not saying...I'm just saying...Rivers played on a torn ACL ...how stable was that?

Frankenpost
07-03-2011, 08:14 PM
But idk I'm not saying...I'm just saying...Rivers played on a torn ACL ...how stable was that?

Well LT had the same injury as Jay when he was standing on the sidelines of the Championship game, not to mention K. Moreno missed 2 games this year with the same injury.

This is just silly the clip really says alot, of what i already knew. He was Hurt.

It surprises me that alot of the Haters here forgot about the work that Jay did here in Denver for the charities and foundations for disable kids. He didnt have to do it, he wanted to do it.

BroncoSexyDaddy
07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Lol damn he even stays away from his girl...y they so far apart....dude has no style either

But idk I'm not saying...I'm just saying...Rivers played on a torn ACL ...how stable was that? Funny Stuff,you have a point :laugh:

I think Jay is shying away from the cameras,knowing people are watching him.Guilty conscious turning his head away from the audio while walking on his supposedly sore foot.

BroncoSexyDaddy
07-03-2011, 08:30 PM
It surprises me that alot of the Haters here forgot about the work that Jay did here in Denver for the charities and foundations for disable kids. He didnt have to do it, he wanted to do it.I'm not a hater of Jay,i was one of his biggest fans as you see,but he plays for Chicago now.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3i7tg6BKSCut0oc0lB4Czhsy10RGgw 3a2jJlTUouO64gOu5W0mg&t=1

Chidoze
07-03-2011, 10:25 PM
During the live broadcast, that was when it looked MOST like Cutler was just sulking and throwing in the towel.

The media couldnt get the story straight either, so fans went off of what they saw on tv and at the game.

Cutler is tough as they make em, no question. He's one of those guys that says, I'm fine, and you have to physically pull them from the game to make sure they are ok.

I thought questioning his toughness was lame and just a cop out by Bears fans.

The only way Cutler would have their respect, is if he had a big brace on and dragging that leg back on the field, which is stupid.

bears6385
07-04-2011, 02:22 PM
During the live broadcast, that was when it looked MOST like Cutler was just sulking and throwing in the towel.

The media couldnt get the story straight either, so fans went off of what they saw on tv and at the game.

Cutler is tough as they make em, no question. He's one of those guys that says, I'm fine, and you have to physically pull them from the game to make sure they are ok.

I thought questioning his toughness was lame and just a cop out by Bears fans.

The only way Cutler would have their respect, is if he had a big brace on and dragging that leg back on the field, which is stupid.I don't know of any real Bear fans questioning Cutler's toughness. None that I know of anyway.

Here in Chicago we saw the game and listened to that clip, and knew Cutler was indeed injured.

Now that is all past history..........We had a good draft, giving Cutler some line help in Carimi, and will add at least a starting NFL caliber OG once free agency starts. Jay has proven to be one of the toughest players in the league, was the NFL's most hit quarterback in 2010. Give him the protection he needs, and we here in Chicago will just go from there.

AC1
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM

When Rivers hurt his knee against the Colts in a playoff game, he didn't even bother sticking around to help his backup like Cutler did. He rushed off to the locker room (trash talking fans on his way out, class act that he is).

He played the next week after getting a week's worth of treatment and put up a frightening 12 points on the Patriots. This despite his defense getting 3 interceptions of Tom Brady (who had an all-time great season that year). Had Norv Turner the guts to play the backup (who won them the playoff game that Rivers left), San Diego might very well have been in the Super Bowl that year.

CanDB
07-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I told another member that I will try to be less critical of Jay, and I meant what I said. However, for the sake of this thread, I do believe the Top 100 has led me to conclude at least one thing about Jay.

Here goes:

1) I think that most players understand that he was injured, and that he plays tough.
2) I also think they all know how poor his oline has been in Chicago.
3) I think they know he has a weapon when it comes to throwing the ball.
4) I think they know he has made it to the pro bowl.
5) But I wonder how, in their eyes, he not only did not make the Top 100, but might possibly be only the 15th best QB (or lower).....again, in their eyes. Eli Manning did not make the list, and neither did Schaub, and there are 12 QBs in the Top 100 already.

What I conclude is this.......the NFL players do not see Jay as a leader, and they wonder about his decisions on the field. After all, they know he is tough, that he can launch the ole pig skin, and he has made the pro bowl.

Make sense to you??? Just trying to be objective......

AC1
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I told another member that I will try to be less critical of Jay, and I meant what I said. However, for the sake of this thread, I do believe the Top 100 has led me to conclude at least one thing about Jay.

Here goes:

1) I think that most players understand that he was injured, and that he plays tough.
2) I also think they all know how poor his oline has been in Chicago.
3) I think they know he has a weapon when it comes to throwing the ball.
4) I think they know he has made it to the pro bowl.
5) But I wonder how, in their eyes, he not only did not make the Top 100, but might possibly be only the 15th best QB (or lower).....again, in their eyes. Eli Manning did not make the list, and neither did Schaub, and there are 12 QBs in the Top 100 already.

What I conclude is this.......the NFL players do not see Jay as a leader, and they wonder about his decisions on the field. After all, they know he is tough, that he can launch the ole pig skin, and he has made the pro bowl.

Make sense to you??? Just trying to be objective......

That's a pretty objective post Can. I agree with all 5 points, though my conclusion is a little bit different from yours. Cutler's leadership is reflected in the way his teammates on both the Bears and Broncos (his first playoff game was attended by a number of his Broncos ex-teammates) speak of him.

I think his absence from this list reflects that Cutler isn't the most likeable guy in the league. The list seemed like more of a popularity contest than an objective ranking. Ray Lewis at 4?! Are you kidding me? :laugh:

JayJack
07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Cutler cried his way out of town. He acted out when he wasn't consulted with on who the next coach was, and when he realized he wasn't going to get a big contract extension unless he earned it with the new staff.
It was a very calculated move by him and his agent. It worked.

Actually your wrong. I don't have the link to backup my statement but, Cutler mentioned that one of the reasons why he was disappointed was because he pushed for McD to come here. So for all of this stuff to happen from trying to trade for Cassel to not commiting to him as the future of the Broncos was a bit much.

Cutler was mad when we fired the OC. Even though Bowlen said that nothing was changing on offense.

CanDB
07-05-2011, 09:50 AM
That's a pretty objective post Can. I agree with all 5 points, though my conclusion is a little bit different from yours. Cutler's leadership is reflected in the way his teammates on both the Bears and Broncos (his first playoff game was attended by a number of his Broncos ex-teammates) speak of him.

I think his absence from this list reflects that Cutler isn't the most likeable guy in the league. The list seemed like more of a popularity contest than an objective ranking. Ray Lewis at 4?! Are you kidding me? :laugh:

You may well be right about popularity. Heck, as long as you are popular on your own team, nothing else matters too much. But it does make me wonder, because I really believed he would make Top 100.......I did. Not sure where, but with his credentials, and being a QB (which people like Michael Lombardi believe are the guys who come first in the NFL) it does make me think Jay has distinguished himself the wrong way to many of his colleagues in the league. Sure, many of them may have overreacted to the injury "issue" in the NFL Final, but they have had ample time to adjust since then. Plus they must know how tough his is, especially with all those sacks and hits.

Anyway......even for me, a guy who has had his issues with Jay, this ranking seems particularly low (whatever it may be), but also speaks to the perception others have of Jay. I called it leadership, which includes the way you behave on the field and on the sidelines. I threw in decision-making, including the way you make plays under pressure, but also the decisions you make as a leader. I still think Jay needs some mentoring. I felt that way when he was here. And I'm sure that if Elway was here, he would have worked with Jay in terms of what to do and not to do in given situations ....(I'm sure John would have overlooked Jay's arm strength comparison:P).....

The key thing here is this.......Jay better be popular with his mates. On one hand, that's all you need, but on the other, it's not a given.

(BTW.......Ray is not the #4 player going into this season......no matter how this ranking system was developed, for him it was all about body of work and respect)

LordTrychon
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Side note... I saw a note that a few NFL players have come out and said they haven't heard of any of the players being asked to participate in these rankings.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Looks like it was a quoted twitter message.

From Ryan Clark of the Steelers...

People. I do not know 1 player personally that voted on NFL top 100 players! Yes not one! @tpolamalu even asked who voted on it! #sham!

At least Kirk Morrison, Jay Feeley and Kerry Rhodes have also said they don't know anyone who voted.

I found that interesting.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1292487#post1292487

CanDB
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Side note... I saw a note that a few NFL players have come out and said they haven't heard of any of the players being asked to participate in these rankings.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Looks like it was a quoted twitter message.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1292487#post1292487

LT.....I find that hard to understand......the NFL Network has some credibility, and would be foolish to promote and publicize this poll without having some meat behind it. They must have sampled the masses. Further, they must have sampled a lot of the players, because you need a lot to make a top 100.
As for Jay.......even if the rankings have some form of credibility issue, in the NFL Network shows I've watched, when asked who was snubbed, I have never heard Cutler's name. That of course is not a conclusive assessment of the situation, but I have heard Eli's name (he has won a Ring), and even Schaub. Maybe this part had nothing to do with your comment, but I threw it in anyway.;)

LordTrychon
07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
LT.....I find that hard to understand......the NFL Network has some credibility, and would be foolish to promote and publicize this poll without having some meat behind it. They must have sampled the masses. Further, they must have sampled a lot of the players, because you need a lot to make a top 100.
As for Jay.......even if the rankings have some form of credibility issue, in the NFL Network shows I've watched, when asked who was snubbed, I have never heard Cutler's name. That of course is not a conclusive assessment of the situation, but I have heard Eli's name (he has won a Ring), and even Schaub. Maybe this part had nothing to do with your comment, but I threw it in anyway.;)

Yeah, I wasn't addressing the Cutler situation directly. I just thought it was interesting. Like you, I find it hard to believe that the NFLN would have lied directly about this. I think it's probably just a player making noise for the sake of making noise. Upset about Polamalu's ranking, perhaps.

I think you're right that he has garnered himself a poor reputation. I hope he gets past it someday, personally. I think that the poor reputation he earned for himself was to blame for the horrible outpouring of uninformed opinions by other players and commentators after the NFC Championship, the likes of which haven't really been seen before.

I do think that his teammates, past and present, seem to really have a different opinion of him, so I put more stock in that. Even Elway, whom he supposedly was rude to at a dinner years ago, has spoken in his defense.

Time will tell, but I think that Jay can outgrow his current perception.

CanDB
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I wasn't addressing the Cutler situation directly. I just thought it was interesting. Like you, I find it hard to believe that the NFLN would have lied directly about this. I think it's probably just a player making noise for the sake of making noise. Upset about Polamalu's ranking, perhaps.

I think you're right that he has garnered himself a poor reputation. I hope he gets past it someday, personally. I think that the poor reputation he earned for himself was to blame for the horrible outpouring of uninformed opinions by other players and commentators after the NFC Championship, the likes of which haven't really been seen before.

I do think that his teammates, past and present, seem to really have a different opinion of him, so I put more stock in that. Even Elway, whom he supposedly was rude to at a dinner years ago, has spoken in his defense.

Time will tell, but I think that Jay can outgrow his current perception.

It would have been very interesting to have Jay and John together here......I could see John mentoring him, and then after a few drinks, trying to kick his butt in a football throwing contest......"you little punk, I can still out throw ya....hey, give me another beer!!!!"
:D

LordTrychon
07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
It would have been very interesting to have Jay and John together here......I could see John mentoring him, and then after a few drinks, trying to kick his butt in a football throwing contest......"you little punk, I can still out throw ya....hey, give me another beer!!!!"
:D

:laugh:

That's exactly how I picture it. :laugh:

Tossing each other Ice Cold Silver Bullets.

lmao.

CanDB
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
:laugh:

That's exactly how I picture it. :laugh:

Tossing each other Ice Cold Silver Bullets.

lmao.

dang it LT........even though I have been tough on Jay, there are times when my mind wanders to what could have been.....

bears6385
07-09-2011, 08:11 AM

how was he able to walk around perfectly fine the next day, shopping with his girlfriend?Actually I believe that was two weeks later. Also walking in a stright line with an MCL injury is whole lot different than trying to evade Clay Matthews or Charles Woodson.

Angrybearsfan
07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
You all need to think. Ask yourself several questions. Take yourself back to the NFC Championship game on FOX. Do you know how many people are actually working behind the scenes for a Network TV sports program like that.

Hundreds of people, hundreds of meetings. I guarantee you in the production meetings they went over several storylines of both teams season so far. The packers had a ton of injuries. Check, grab the video montage of various people getting injured and get it ready to go. The Bears got a huge year out of Peppers and Urlacher, get that video ready. Rodgers was concussed, dust off the Redskins game. Cutler has had his problems with turnovers, get that video ready.

And you can bet as soon as Cutler went to the side lines with his injury, they had at least three cameras on him every single second for the rest of the game. Think it was a coincidence that they put the video of him sitting on the bench, instead of the video of him talking with the coaching staff, or talking to Caleb Hanie (both of which were confirmed by Bears players as well as FOX and other non affiliated reporters)?

And the national media bought it, hook line and sinker. Because what you had the following week was public out cries from various journalists coming up with bizarre situations. You had that idiot Bill Plaschke actually demand the Bears show the media the hospital MRIs on his leg....this fool thought it was some kind of conspiracy. Or that idiot in Miami, Jason Whitlock, saying Cutler was a quitter.......he must of not watched the other 17 games where Cutler got his brains beat out on a weekly basis. Sure, he lacks toughness.

You can question his motives for wanting to get out of Denver. Whether you like them or not, it was the best decision he mad. The Broncos, while not in free fall, are still a long ways off from being competitive.

You can question his play during that NFC Championship game. It was awful. We have seen him have awful games before.

But you cannot question his toughness, and you cannot question his desire to be out there as the starting QB. His head coach told you, his GM told you, all the Bears reporters that were there told you, many of the other non-biased reporters told you, the medical staff of the Bears told you as well did the players.

He tore his knee, he couldn't play. That did not fit in with what Fox wanted to run in their video clips....so they, in fact, made it look like something was up.