Puddleglum
08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Studs:

-1st team passing offense looked SHARP.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Arkem/rivers.png

Yeah, he enjoys football.

inJkE8Dkpek

-Darryl Gamble

That kid had a monster of a game against 2nd and 3rd stringers. AJ always seems to find a gem or to in UDFA lets hope this kid pans out. Multiple sacks, a pass defensed, multiple tackles behind the line of scrimmage and even looked pretty good in coverage as an OLB. Trying to figure out if all that qualifies him as a gift from God to the Charger LB corps. Very glad he wasn't hurt when he went down, and going back in right away was a good sign.

-Corey Liuget

Seemed to have a knack of finding the ball carrier one way or the other, and I even saw him manage to tackle a RB in space once or twice. Still had his rookie moments, but the kid can play.

-Bob Sanders

Simply cause he didn't get hurt. We love ya Bob, stay healthy!

-Darrel Stuckey

Though I wasn't happy when was moved to FS from Strong, he seems to know what is going on now and was always around the ball.

-Special Teams

I'm certainly not crowning them kick return for a TD or no. However, they didn't look like complete idiots out there, and that's a big win for the Chargers because the bar is just that low.

N_YaCowdpJo

-MNF Commentary Crew

Soooo much better than they were a few short years ago. I remember San Diego was having a wildfire catastrophe a few years ago and the fire was literally a mile or two away so all we could do to distract ourselves by watching the Jags and Colts go at it (when both teams were good). Next thing I know Russel Crowe is in the booth and they stopped paying attention to the game. It was the only time in my life that 1st degree murder has seemed "worth it."

-Vaughn Martin and Ogemdi Nwagbuo

Martin was looking good and Nwagbuo was a rotational NT who looks MUCH better at DE. I do find it quite ironic that by the time Martin will no longer be considered a "project" and have amassed some stats, snaps and starts he will be up for a new contract :sad:.

Duds

-Rookies who need to calm the heck down.

Marcus...just catch the ball, you can do it. We need to hire a nun with a ruler to rap Schilling on the knuckles every time he commits a false start penalty, that will shape him up pretty quick.

-Colin Baxter

Hyped up in training camp big time...not sure why.

-Scott Tolzein

Hyped up in training camp big time...I know he only had a little over a week but he looked flat out terrible.

-Hurt Chargers

Yeah, I'm talking to you Gates and English. Gates is legit and continues to fight of his mortal nemesis made corporeal in his own darn feet. Same goes for English.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Arkem/Englishwhereartthou.png

At least they bother talking to English, if they thought he was a complete bust I don't think they would bother.

To be honest, that was it. I thought we had a great game and it revealed that the Chargers have a lot going for them. The Seahawks couldn't get past half field on offense for the first half.

All there is to do know is wonder who will be the preseason star next week. On a side note, we need to get a psych workup done on Billy Volek whose budding relationship with a helmet that "talks to him" is a bit worrying.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Arkem/billy.png

NOTE: If you enjoyed reading this post, please respond and say so or leave some CP. Just something to show that someone out there on the internets enjoys them. At this point, the only reason I do them now is that I have a sneaking suspicion that someone over at Chargers Park is reading them so I consider it community service more than anything else.

Kno-Sean
08-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Well I read it.

And as a big Badger fan, I hope Tolzein plays well!

Bernie24
08-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Billy Volek is such a BAMF

baphamet
08-14-2011, 07:21 AM
nice write up and agree with most of it. at least English is practicing again, says he is 100%, we will see.

also, don't be too hard on the rookies. i think this goes without saying but there was a lockout and all rookies are suffering because of it.

i would pretty much give this entire rookie class a pass this year (talking about every rook on every team) especially the QB's

*Atwater*
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Arkem/Englishwhereartthou.png

Turn your head and Cough. :laugh:

Sorry I could help it. :D

HavoK471
08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I liked the post man keep it up. I may not be a charger fan but I am a football fan so this stuff is still good.

I saw this game and I have to say the Chargers O is looking pretty scary but I guess it will always be like that with Rivers behind center.

The running game didn't look extremely explosive to me but I see a ton of potential especially with your backs. I'm a fan of that Todman guy I would've liked him with the Broncos.

The kick return was awesome it was great seeing the team get so pumped up and watching that little guy actually get props from everybody :laugh:

Liuget looked like he could be legit (I had to say it :D).

That Gamble guy looks like hes really trying to get himself a spot on the roster and if he keeps it up he'll get it.

It was hard for me to really see the Chargers D considering the Seahawks look pretty bad to me. Not sure how they can feel safe with their QBs

Andyy_47
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Need to spread it around before giving you some CP Puddlegum, but I watched the whole game, Gamble looked great but just seemed to run out of gas in the end. Scared of that first team offense though.

underrated29
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, anytime you can talk football is good. Despite it being another, hated rival.

How is mathews looking....I thought he would do real real real well for you guys, but I heard his first stint was not so good and got pulled for tolbert?

Whats happening on that front? Is mathews going to perform or is tolbert and toddman the guys?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Do you guys still have Nanee?

baphamet
08-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you guys still have Nanee?

nope, signed with carolina.

baphamet
08-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, anytime you can talk football is good. Despite it being another, hated rival.

How is mathews looking....I thought he would do real real real well for you guys, but I heard his first stint was not so good and got pulled for tolbert?

Whats happening on that front? Is mathews going to perform or is tolbert and toddman the guys?

tolbert started because Mathews came to camp out of shape and tolbert hasn't missed a practice.

but i don't think Mathews got pulled, he is still listed as the starter but Mathews and tolbert will both share a lot of carries this season.

Mathews got drafted to be the feature back but its turning into a two man show. todman looks good and will get carries as well i think, if he keeps it up.

Puddleglum
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I read it.

And as a big Badger fan, I hope Tolzein plays well!

You and me both, as I mentioned (at least I think I did) he had what, 9ish days with the team? Not exactly the best year to be a UDFA.

With Volek being a FA he got to run with the 2nd team though, so he actually did get plenty of exposure. Norv was yelling at him pretty good during the game, he wouldn't do that if this kid wasn't worth the time.

Puddleglum
08-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Also, don't be too hard on the rookies. i think this goes without saying but there was a lockout and all rookies are suffering because of it.

True, it's just that one of AJ's talents is finding a nice prospects in UDFA. What can I say, I love and underdog and I'm rooting for each and every one of them...that doesn't mean that I'll go easy on them however :D.

I would pretty much give this entire rookie class a pass this year (talking about every rook on every team) especially the QB's

They do deserve a pass with the off-season we have had, unfortunately the roster cuts aren't going to give them one. I genuinely feel bad for them as I think we actually had a better UDFA haul this year than the two previous.

Puddleglum
08-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I liked the post man keep it up.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'll be back next week :D.

The running game didn't look extremely explosive to me but I see a ton of potential especially with your backs. I'm a fan of that Todman guy I would've liked him with the Broncos.

Opinions will vary GREATLY depending on which Charger fan you talk to, but I believe we run to set up the pass, unfortunately this means forcing the ball on the ground and we're just not as good at it as we were back in 2006. I wish we'd pass to set up the run at this point (more like the Colts).
:2cents:

The kick return was awesome it was great seeing the team get so pumped up and watching that little guy actually get props from everybody :laugh:

The last time I saw a team that pumped up was after a clinching play in the SB. Hope the kid remembers that feeling if he makes the team or not.

Liuget looked like he could be legit (I had to say it :D).

No worries, the kid probably isn't ever going to live that down (in the good or bad variety) so why not go with it.

That Gamble guy looks like hes really trying to get himself a spot on the roster and if he keeps it up he'll get it.

To be honest the only reason he first caught my eye when teams were snapping up UDFA's was because every scouting report had him as an ILB. Which was a position I believed would be rife with competitions during TC.

It was hard for me to really see the Chargers D considering the Seahawks look pretty bad to me. Not sure how they can feel safe with their QBs

They have Football Jesus...they'll be okay.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/5322452401_684cddab3a.jpg

Puddleglum
08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Need to spread it around before giving you some CP Puddlegum, but I watched the whole game, Gamble looked great but just seemed to run out of gas in the end. Scared of that first team offense though.

It wasn't really about the CP it was more just a desire to get people to post or in someway show that these posts were being read.

The FA and Draft thread for instance had hundreds of viewsbut the replies were pretty much 8 posts by me and 1 poor soul whom I RickRoll'd (http://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0).

BroncoSexyDaddy
08-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Ingram, McCoy, McDaniels among Week 1 preseason winners

Musings, observations and the occasional insight as we run down the winners and losers in Week 1 of the NFL's preseason. The games don't count, but the perceptions sure do....

Winner -- It was only a glimpse of what might be, but you could already see the impact of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in Houston Monday night.

The Texans' transition to the 3-4 defense is in its earliest stages and Pro Bowl defensive end-turned-outside linebacker Mario Williams looked a little lost in space against the Jets. But you also saw an aggressive and attacking Houston defense that accounted for seven sacks of New York QBs and didn't give up anything cheap, and those are hallmarks of Phillips' turnaround work.

Limiting the Jets' first-team offense to three points is a hopeful enough start for a Texans' team that opens 2011 in win-now mode, with the only thing blocking Houston's path to its first playoff berth being improvement on defense.

Loser -- The Jets offense managed 310 yards, 21 first downs and 16 points against Houston, but New York looked sloppy and had more than its share of penalties and sacks, struggling to find some offensive cohesion throughout the game.

True, that really wasn't the Jets attack we'll see in Week 1 of the regular season, but compared to that hated AFC East rival to the north -- who happened to hang up 47 points, six touchdowns and 476 yards against Jacksonville while playing mostly reserves -- the initial gap between New York's and New England's offense was fully on display. Super Bowl dreams don't get derailed in a preseason opener unless your starting quarterback goes down, but the Jets have some corrections to make if they're going to keep the Patriots within sight.

Winner -- Pretty smart move by Osi Umenyiora, reporting back to the Giants practice on Monday, two days after watching second-year defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul turn in an eye-opening performance in the preseason opening loss at Carolina. Osi who?

Pierre-Paul had two sacks, and also helped force a Michael Boley interception that led to the Giants' only touchdown in the Panthers' 20-10 victory. None of which spelled increased leverage for Umenyiora's contract demands, thus the wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee moment for New York's unhappiest of campers. Now get back to work, Osi, before we drop a Wally Pipp reference on you.

Loser -- Lots of teams looked beyond shaky at starting quarterback in Week 1. Miami, Cincinnati, Minnesota and Seattle come quickly to mind. But did anybody get more sobering results at the game's premier position than 49ers rookie head coach Jim Harbaugh?

Where does San Francisco go now on the Alex Smith front, after the seven-year veteran produced just two first downs on his five drives of action in a 24-3 loss at New Orleans? How many times can you put Humpty Dumpty back together again in 49er-ville?

Smith was harried by constant pressure from the Saints and wound up just 2 of 7 for 10 yards, with two sacks and a fumble. And rookie QB Colin Kaepernick didn't fare much better for San Francisco, which went kicking the tires on Daunte Culpepper Monday in response to its early quarterback crisis.

Winner -- It was only a 14-yard touchdown run in the second quarter of the Saints' preseason opener, but you have to admit it looked like the start of something big in New Orleans when Heisman-winning running back Mark Ingram spun his way into the end zone, leaving a tackler or two grasping at air. Quick feet, great balance, makes people miss, with a nose for the end zone. Yep, there's absolutely nothing to all those Emmitt Smith comparisons in Ingram's case.

Loser -- Maybe Olin Kreutz was the lucky one. He got out. The Bears beleaguered offensive line is even more suspect than we thought, with Chicago quarterbacks absorbing an astounding nine sacks in a 10-3 win over visiting Buffalo on Saturday night. When the Bills defense pulls a jail break on you, you have issues. The Bears O-line wasn't to blame for all nine sacks, but it looks like Mike Tice is going to earn his coaching salary again this season, with his unit immediately placed under the microscope in 2011.

Winner -- It wasn't mop-up time and those weren't the Bengals that Colt McCoy went about carving up Saturday night in Cleveland. The Browns' second-year quarterback was razor sharp against the defending Super Bowl champion Packers, finishing 9 of 10 for 135 yards, a touchdown, and a 152.1 passer rating in Cleveland's 27-17 conquest of Green Bay.

The Browns appear to be third-place material in the AFC North no matter what happens this season, but their young franchise QB looks like, you know, the real McCoy. Which is what Browns president and noted quarterback guru Mike Holmgren has been quietly telling folks for a while now.

Loser -- The Colts just don't do preseason (they're 4-24 in their past 28 exhibition games), but sooner or later they have to find a capable backup quarterback for Peyton Manning and get him ready to play in case the worst should happen.

I mean, No. 18 is 35 and coming off neck surgery, so now would be a good time to identify someone who can win a game for you if Manning ever has to miss a week or two. Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky clearly aren't the answer. The tandem faced St. Louis Saturday night, and they combined to go 7 of 16 for 166 yards, with one touchdown and three interceptions. And that's no aberration. That's the same story their career track records tell.

Winner -- Wow. Just imagine if Josh McDaniels had all offseason to install his offense. The Rams new offensive coordinator might have presided over an 83-10 butt-kicking of the visiting Colts, rather than the impressive and multi-faceted 33-10 victory that ensued.

Ten Rams caught passes, seven players rushed at least once, and St. Louis kicker Josh Brown even found the time to nail a 60-yard field goal. The Rams have more weapons than they know what to do with right now, but it's McDaniels' assignment to figure out that happy problem.

Loser -- The whole new rule mandating kickoffs from the 35-yard line just hasn't gained much legitimacy yet. It was a fairly rough debut for the new edict, what with touchbacks predictably being fairly common, and the Bears somehow being allowed to kick off a couple times from the 30 against the Bills to evaluate their coverage unit (how does that ruling slip through the cracks?). As changes to the game go, it does seem a bit drastic, and perhaps hastily conceived and approved. But anything put under the heading of player safety initiatives these days is almost bullet-proof in the eyes of the league, whether the players like it or not.

Winner -- Looks like the Packers definitely have another play-maker in second-round receiver/return man Randall Cobb. Green Bay lined Cobb up in the slot against Cleveland, and the Browns couldn't cover him, giving up a Packers-best three catches for 60 yards, all of them good for first downs on gains of 13, 19 and 28 yards.

In addition, Cobb is going to add some juice to Green Bay's return game, which was one of the few weak spots in the Packers' arsenal last year. Cobb had two kickoff returns, of 26 and 32 yards, and cleanly handled his only punt return. The ex-Kentucky standout adds an explosive element to Green Bay's already-deep receiving depth chart.

Loser -- Matt Gutierrez has been stuck at various times behind the likes of Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Jay Cutler in his four-year NFL career, but there was never any indignity to those depth-chart realities. Then came last week, when the former Patriot, Chief and Bear reserve quarterback was signed by Washington. Not only is Gutierrez looking up at the trio of Rex Grossman, John Beck and Kellen Clemens -- not exactly a who's who of NFL quarterbacks -- but also the Redskins made him take the field for pregame warm-ups Friday night against the Steelers with a jersey that read "Gutierriz.'' A name quarterback, he's not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/08/16/preseason/index.html#?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a2

baphamet
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Ingram, McCoy, McDaniels among Week 1 preseason winners

Musings, observations and the occasional insight as we run down the winners and losers in Week 1 of the NFL's preseason. The games don't count, but the perceptions sure do....

Winner -- It was only a glimpse of what might be, but you could already see the impact of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in Houston Monday night.

The Texans' transition to the 3-4 defense is in its earliest stages and Pro Bowl defensive end-turned-outside linebacker Mario Williams looked a little lost in space against the Jets. But you also saw an aggressive and attacking Houston defense that accounted for seven sacks of New York QBs and didn't give up anything cheap, and those are hallmarks of Phillips' turnaround work.

Limiting the Jets' first-team offense to three points is a hopeful enough start for a Texans' team that opens 2011 in win-now mode, with the only thing blocking Houston's path to its first playoff berth being improvement on defense.

Loser -- The Jets offense managed 310 yards, 21 first downs and 16 points against Houston, but New York looked sloppy and had more than its share of penalties and sacks, struggling to find some offensive cohesion throughout the game.

True, that really wasn't the Jets attack we'll see in Week 1 of the regular season, but compared to that hated AFC East rival to the north -- who happened to hang up 47 points, six touchdowns and 476 yards against Jacksonville while playing mostly reserves -- the initial gap between New York's and New England's offense was fully on display. Super Bowl dreams don't get derailed in a preseason opener unless your starting quarterback goes down, but the Jets have some corrections to make if they're going to keep the Patriots within sight.

Winner -- Pretty smart move by Osi Umenyiora, reporting back to the Giants practice on Monday, two days after watching second-year defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul turn in an eye-opening performance in the preseason opening loss at Carolina. Osi who?

Pierre-Paul had two sacks, and also helped force a Michael Boley interception that led to the Giants' only touchdown in the Panthers' 20-10 victory. None of which spelled increased leverage for Umenyiora's contract demands, thus the wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee moment for New York's unhappiest of campers. Now get back to work, Osi, before we drop a Wally Pipp reference on you.

Loser -- Lots of teams looked beyond shaky at starting quarterback in Week 1. Miami, Cincinnati, Minnesota and Seattle come quickly to mind. But did anybody get more sobering results at the game's premier position than 49ers rookie head coach Jim Harbaugh?

Where does San Francisco go now on the Alex Smith front, after the seven-year veteran produced just two first downs on his five drives of action in a 24-3 loss at New Orleans? How many times can you put Humpty Dumpty back together again in 49er-ville?

Smith was harried by constant pressure from the Saints and wound up just 2 of 7 for 10 yards, with two sacks and a fumble. And rookie QB Colin Kaepernick didn't fare much better for San Francisco, which went kicking the tires on Daunte Culpepper Monday in response to its early quarterback crisis.

Winner -- It was only a 14-yard touchdown run in the second quarter of the Saints' preseason opener, but you have to admit it looked like the start of something big in New Orleans when Heisman-winning running back Mark Ingram spun his way into the end zone, leaving a tackler or two grasping at air. Quick feet, great balance, makes people miss, with a nose for the end zone. Yep, there's absolutely nothing to all those Emmitt Smith comparisons in Ingram's case.

Loser -- Maybe Olin Kreutz was the lucky one. He got out. The Bears beleaguered offensive line is even more suspect than we thought, with Chicago quarterbacks absorbing an astounding nine sacks in a 10-3 win over visiting Buffalo on Saturday night. When the Bills defense pulls a jail break on you, you have issues. The Bears O-line wasn't to blame for all nine sacks, but it looks like Mike Tice is going to earn his coaching salary again this season, with his unit immediately placed under the microscope in 2011.

Winner -- It wasn't mop-up time and those weren't the Bengals that Colt McCoy went about carving up Saturday night in Cleveland. The Browns' second-year quarterback was razor sharp against the defending Super Bowl champion Packers, finishing 9 of 10 for 135 yards, a touchdown, and a 152.1 passer rating in Cleveland's 27-17 conquest of Green Bay.

The Browns appear to be third-place material in the AFC North no matter what happens this season, but their young franchise QB looks like, you know, the real McCoy. Which is what Browns president and noted quarterback guru Mike Holmgren has been quietly telling folks for a while now.

Loser -- The Colts just don't do preseason (they're 4-24 in their past 28 exhibition games), but sooner or later they have to find a capable backup quarterback for Peyton Manning and get him ready to play in case the worst should happen.

I mean, No. 18 is 35 and coming off neck surgery, so now would be a good time to identify someone who can win a game for you if Manning ever has to miss a week or two. Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky clearly aren't the answer. The tandem faced St. Louis Saturday night, and they combined to go 7 of 16 for 166 yards, with one touchdown and three interceptions. And that's no aberration. That's the same story their career track records tell.

Winner -- Wow. Just imagine if Josh McDaniels had all offseason to install his offense. The Rams new offensive coordinator might have presided over an 83-10 butt-kicking of the visiting Colts, rather than the impressive and multi-faceted 33-10 victory that ensued.

Ten Rams caught passes, seven players rushed at least once, and St. Louis kicker Josh Brown even found the time to nail a 60-yard field goal. The Rams have more weapons than they know what to do with right now, but it's McDaniels' assignment to figure out that happy problem.

Loser -- The whole new rule mandating kickoffs from the 35-yard line just hasn't gained much legitimacy yet. It was a fairly rough debut for the new edict, what with touchbacks predictably being fairly common, and the Bears somehow being allowed to kick off a couple times from the 30 against the Bills to evaluate their coverage unit (how does that ruling slip through the cracks?). As changes to the game go, it does seem a bit drastic, and perhaps hastily conceived and approved. But anything put under the heading of player safety initiatives these days is almost bullet-proof in the eyes of the league, whether the players like it or not.

Winner -- Looks like the Packers definitely have another play-maker in second-round receiver/return man Randall Cobb. Green Bay lined Cobb up in the slot against Cleveland, and the Browns couldn't cover him, giving up a Packers-best three catches for 60 yards, all of them good for first downs on gains of 13, 19 and 28 yards.

In addition, Cobb is going to add some juice to Green Bay's return game, which was one of the few weak spots in the Packers' arsenal last year. Cobb had two kickoff returns, of 26 and 32 yards, and cleanly handled his only punt return. The ex-Kentucky standout adds an explosive element to Green Bay's already-deep receiving depth chart.

Loser -- Matt Gutierrez has been stuck at various times behind the likes of Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Jay Cutler in his four-year NFL career, but there was never any indignity to those depth-chart realities. Then came last week, when the former Patriot, Chief and Bear reserve quarterback was signed by Washington. Not only is Gutierrez looking up at the trio of Rex Grossman, John Beck and Kellen Clemens -- not exactly a who's who of NFL quarterbacks -- but also the Redskins made him take the field for pregame warm-ups Friday night against the Steelers with a jersey that read "Gutierriz.'' A name quarterback, he's not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/08/16/preseason/index.html#?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a2

i think this thread was intended for the chargers pre-season game but thanks for posting anyway, nice write up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
nope, signed with carolina.

Wow, that's on the other side of the map. He grew up in SoCal, went to Boise State, then played for the Chargers.

BroncoSexyDaddy
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
i think this thread was intended for the chargers pre-season game but thanks for posting anyway, nice write up.I agree.I seen the title and i had a trend in the other teams section and merged the trend since this one was started first.Both trends had the same title so i merged them.

baphamet
08-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Wow, that's on the other side of the map. He grew up in SoCal, went to Boise State, then played for the Chargers.

i don't think the chargers wanted to bring him back so he had no choice.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow, Luiget looks pretty good. He looks even bigger.

Puddleglum
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, Luiget looks pretty good. He looks even bigger.

I was impressed too, he was in the backfield a staggering amount for a 3-4 DE.

BuckTeethJoey
08-21-2011, 10:12 PM
whats up fellaz, chargers looking good

baphamet
08-22-2011, 02:31 AM
the run defense is definitely concerning after watching the Dallas pre-season game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I was impressed too, he was in the backfield a staggering amount for a 3-4 DE.

I'd like to see what he can do in a 4-3, but the guy's skill set translates to any scheme.