PDA

View Full Version : Is Eli Manning a elite QB?

InsaneBlaze23
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
According to him, he is just as good as Tom Brady.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AumgdIGnhm__P3OHwM8HkT05nYcB?gid=310816 106

Eli Manning is a top-caliber quarterback. Well, at least he says he is.

Kay: Eli Manning - 8/16

Giants QB Eli Manning joins "The Michael Kay Show" about the offensive struggles in the preseason game, cutting down the turnovers this year and where he feel he ranks among the best QB's in the league.

More Podcasts
The New York Giants quarterback, who does have a Super Bowl MVP award to his name, said on "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN New York 1050 on Tuesday that he considers himself to be a top quarterback who belongs in the same class as New England's Tom Brady.

"I consider myself in that class and Tom Brady is a great quarterback, he's a great player and what you've seen with him is he's gotten better every year and he started off winning championships and I think he's a better quarterback now than what he was, in all honesty, when he was winning those championships," Manning said Tuesday. "It's funny, you say well he won championships, but the team, but I think know he's grown up and gotten better every year and that's what I'm trying to do. I kind of hope these next seven years of my quarterback days are my best."

While Manning is regarded as a very good quarterback by most, as he's led the Giants to the playoffs in four of his seven seasons as the full-time starter, there is usually a hesitation to place him among the elite in the game. While Manning was fifth in the league in passing yards with 4,002 yards and fourth in touchdowns with 31 scores last season, his 25 interceptions are the number that jumps out the most.

Manning
He did say he didn't feel that too many of his interceptions last year were caused by bad decisions.

When explaining why he feels he's an elite quarterback, Manning said the Giants have an offense that puts him in a good situation and with their stingy run game, it opens the play action, which is a facet of the game that he performs well in. He recalled just one interception on play action and said he's good with the ball on those situations.

"I'm not a 25-interception quarterback, I know that," Manning said. "That's going to be fixed and it should be a good year."

It could be a challenge for Manning to live up to his claim this year, as the Giants swung and missed on their receiving targets this offseason.

Two of Manning's former safety valves, tight end Kevin Boss and wide receiver Steve Smith, have signed with new teams, with Boss heading to Oakland and Smith signing with NFC East rival Philadelphia. It's still unknown who will be the Giants' No. 3 receiver at this point.
"

shawinkerpoppin
08-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Lol oh wow lol.

BroncoFanBoy
08-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Eli is the NFL's most overrated QB, if you ask me. I bet even Giants fans would take Brady over him.

Charlie Brown
08-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I have 25 interceptions in a single season that disagree ....

baphamet
08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
LMAO! delusional QB is delusional. :laugh:

-Rod-
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I consider Eli Manning a very good QB. And he played at a very high level in the playoffs when the Giants were Super Bowl champions.

Manning was victim of extreme bad luck in 2010. Many of his interceptions were not his fault. Tipped balls falling in the hands of DBs. Just watch:

2tUsUoMIHZc

A lot of those interceptions were either good throws or at least catchable balls.

Completed 62.9% of his passes. 31 TDs, 7.4 YPA. And a bunch of bizarre interceptions caused by his receivers.

Safety
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Eli is nowhere near Elite. he's Trent Dilfer without a defense.
his Super Bowl win was a fluke.

-Rod-
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Eli is nowhere near Elite. he's Trent Dilfer without a defense.
his Super Bowl win was a fluke.

Terrible comparison.

Trent Dilfer has more interceptions than touchdowns and never had a completion percentage above 60.0 in a season. And he never threw for 3.000 yards or more.

Eli Manning threw for 4.000+ yards in his last 2 seasons. Completed more than 60% of his passes in his last 3 seasons. 156 touchdowns against 113 interceptions.

Dilfer was throwing 11 TDs in 10 games in his 6th year. Manning threw 27 TDs in 16 games in his 6th year. Dilfer's record is 21 TDs in 1997 and 1998. Manning has been throwing 21+ TDs per season since his 2nd year in the NFL. He threw 31 TDs last season and 27 in 2009.

It's not even close.

#24 Next Champ
08-16-2011, 09:18 PM
No, good? Ya ...elite? No

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
he shouldn't have said he's as good as brady, or even in brady's class

but , in his superbowl mvp performance, he totally deserved the sb mvp award

i've rewatched that sb, his 3rd down numbers were amazing, and his stat line was pretty good (his only int that game was the wrs fault)

BluenOrnge4Life
08-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I consider Eli Manning a very good QB. And he played at a very high level in the playoffs when the Giants were Super Bowl champions.

Manning was victim of extreme bad luck in 2010. Many of his interceptions were not his fault. Tipped balls falling in the hands of DBs. Just watch:

2tUsUoMIHZc

A lot of those interceptions were either good throws or at least catchable balls.

Completed 62.9% of his passes. 31 TDs, 7.4 YPA. And a bunch of bizarre interceptions caused by his receivers.

I agree. The bottom line is that he played great in the playoffs and in doing so, they were able to knock off the 18-0 New England Patriots to win the Super Bowl. Manning was a Super Bowl MVP, and you can never take that away from him.

You can say that certain Qbs were carried by their teams to Super Bowl Victories, but Manning had a HUGE part in his team winning the Super Bowl that year. So IMO... he's elite.

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I agree. The bottom line is that he played great in the playoffs and in doing so, they were able to knock off the 18-0 New England Patriots to win the Super Bowl. Manning was a Super Bowl MVP, and you can never take that away from him.

You can say that certain Qbs were carried by their teams to Super Bowl Victories, but Manning had a HUGE part in his team winning the Super Bowl that year. So IMO... he's elite.

he's not elite though

he was elite for a playoff run

there's a difference

aside from that, he's been semi inconsistent....

he's definitely not as bad as the 23-0 loss in the playoffs to carolina, but at the same time he's nowhere near brady consistent

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
put it this way

eli has 159 tds in his career, and 140 turnovers (ints + lost fumbles) that's a plus 19 for eli

tom brady has 268 tds and 134 turnovers (ints + lost fumbles) that's a plus 134 for brady

eli's lifetime passing % is 58%

brady's lifetime passing % is 63.6

eli's lifetime qb rating is 80.2

brady's lifetime qb rating is 95.2

if you think eli's elite, you're high lol

BluenOrnge4Life
08-16-2011, 11:00 PM
put it this way

eli has 159 tds in his career, and 140 turnovers (ints + lost fumbles) that's a plus 19 for eli

tom brady has 268 tds and 134 turnovers (ints + lost fumbles) that's a plus 134 for brady

eli's lifetime passing % is 58%

brady's lifetime passing % is 63.6

eli's lifetime qb rating is 80.2

brady's lifetime qb rating is 95.2

if you think eli's elite, you're high lol

And for the record, what is the name of the team that Eli refused to play for? :smug:

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
here's a good stat lol

in eli's best season, he had 9 more tds, than turnovers (LOL)

in brady's best season he had 38 more tds than turnovers

i mean...come on now...use your brain lol

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
And for the record, what is the name of the team that Eli refused to play for? :smug:

the chargers, and i'm ok with that, he would have been the next leaf in san diego lol

Amari24
08-16-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't consider him "elite" but I think he's a top 8 QB when everything is going right for him.

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't consider him "elite" but I think he's a top 8 QB when everything is going right for him.

i totally agree with that

-Rod-
08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
He is not Tom Brady but I think he is a very good QB and you can win a Super Bowl with him. Players have a lot of confidence, we see comments like that all the time. There are worse QBs than Eli Manning who probably think they are elite. I would not be surprised if Orton thinks he can play like Peyton Manning. At least that's what he tries to do before the snap. Players are, first of all, fans of themselves. Antonio Cromartie thinks he's better than Asomugha. And we can go on and on.

BluenOrnge4Life
08-16-2011, 11:10 PM
here's a good stat lol

in eli's best season, he had 9 more tds, than turnovers (LOL)

in brady's best season he had 38 more tds than turnovers

i mean...come on now...use your brain lol

Brady is without a doubt much better than Eli. There's no argument there from me.

He's a top Ten QB though IMO and that's why he's elite:

1. Brady
2. Manning (Peyton)
3. Rodgers
4. Brees
5. Roethlisberger
6. Rivers
7. Vick
8. Matt Ryan
9. Eli
10. Romo/Schaub?

Vick could be higher if he repeats his success of last season, and there's a lot of Qbs that could get into this list but I haven't seen enough of them yet: Freeman, Bradford, Stafford, etc. Based off of longevity & accomplishments, it's hard not to have Eli in the top 10 still. Top 5-6 are pretty easy, it's more difficult after that for me.

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
He is not Tom Brady but I think he is a very good QB and you can win a Super Bowl with him. Players have a lot of confidence, we see comments like that all the time. There are worse QBs than Eli Manning who probably think they are elite. I would not be surprised if Orton thinks he can play like Peyton Manning. At least that's what he tries to do before the snap. Players are, first of all, fans of themselves. Antonio Cromartie thinks he's better than Asomugha. And we can go on and on.

the belief is good, the utterance of it in this case, is stupid lol

InsaneBlaze23
08-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Since Brady is the level of how good a QB is, what QB is the level of bad?lol

Eli by all means is not a bad QB, but he is crazy thinking he is Tom Brady good.
I mean I don't recall Eli throwing 50 TD's, during a season when people didn't think the Pats would be that great.

If you put Eli on the Jags, it wont make them a playoff team, but if you put Brady on the Lions, I bet they would be in SB talks.

I look at Eli as in the same class with Jay Cutler, good QB that can sometimes be the cause of they're teams failure.

Rather 25 INT's was his fault of the teams fault, at the end of the day, he will get the blame.

jcdavey
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
i don't think cutler's as good as eli

certainly has the potential though

Safety
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Cutler is better than Eli any day of the week and I don't even like Cutler.

Eli won't ever win another Super Bowl. it was a fluke win, giants just got hot at the right time. now he has no defense, there won't be any more Lombardi Trophy's to hold for him.

jcdavey
08-17-2011, 12:11 AM

Eli won't ever win another Super Bowl. it was a fluke win, giants just got hot at the right time. now he has no defense, there won't be any more Lombardi Trophy's to hold for him.

that seems a bit harsh.....

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:13 AM
No, is he good? Yes, elite? Not in anyway...No

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Brady is without a doubt much better than Eli. There's no argument there from me.

1. Brady
2. Manning (Peyton)
3. Rodgers
4. Brees
5. Roethlisberger
6. Rivers
7. Vick
8. Matt Ryan
9. Eli
10. Romo/Schaub?

Vick could be higher if he repeats his success of last season, and there's a lot of Qbs that could get into this list but I haven't seen enough of them yet: Freeman, Bradford, Stafford, etc. Based off of longevity & accomplishments, it's hard not to have Eli in the top 10 still. Top 5-6 are pretty easy, it's more difficult after that for me.

How you gna have Roethlisberger in front of Rivers and Vick??? Wouldn't even have him over Ryan

BluenOrnge4Life
08-17-2011, 12:19 AM
How you gna have Roethlisberger in front of Rivers and Vick??? Wouldn't even have him over Ryan

He's been in 3 Superbowls and won 2 of them; one with one of the most clutch throws in Super Bowl History:

24k3PCL4prU

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM

In Cutler has how many rings?0 ok.

I see them on a equal level, if not Eli being better by a little.

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 12:39 AM

1. Brady
2. Manning (Peyton)
3. Rodgers
4. Brees
5. Roethlisberger
6. Rivers
7. Vick
8. Matt Ryan
9. Eli
10. Romo/Schaub?

I actually agree with you list, however I wouldn't even have Romo or Schaub in the top 10. I'd actually put Vick at 10, only because we don't know if he can put up the same numbers again or come close to it.

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:40 AM
To BluenOrange - Those SB's can be accredited to that Steelers front 7 and **** Lebeau ...Roth is definitely a good qb but no way better than Rivers...if Pitt had Rivers ...DAMN lookout!

That catch also was an amazing job by Holmes...good throw but amazing effort by Holmes ...who we could've had for a 4th rd pick ...things like that piss me off so much

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Haha hilarious how Lebeau's name gets starred out ...watch me get an infraction!

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Damn y can't I edit? Anyhow scratch that...we could've had Holmes for a 5th rd pick!! Ahhh! So irritating that we could be asleep at the wheel with deals like those

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Damn y can't I edit? Anyhow scratch that...we could've had Holmes for a 5th rd pick!! Ahhh! So irritating that we could be asleep at the wheel with deals like those

Because you are on probation, you can't edit when on probation.

Little Ben is better if not on the shame level as Rivers, if you don't think so, go back in watch his games.

I don't recall the Steelers D being the reason they beat Seattle. I recall it being because of little Ben and The Bus.

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Y am I on probation? I haven't even gotten any infractions last time I checked?...wackk

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Y am I on probation? I haven't even gotten any infractions last time I checked?...wackk

:off-topic:
This is not the time or place to discuss it.
If you have a issue with it, PM a mod, and talk to them. Now lets get back on topic.

jcdavey
08-17-2011, 01:05 AM
i don't know if ben's as good as rivers

i definitely know ben is clutch as hell most of the time, and has the highest qb completion % ever, after contact.

rivers is hamstrung playing in a cursed , awesome weather city IMO

it's hard for me to think any qb can win the sb as a sd charger, till i see it happen. (i feel that way about several cities such as atlanta, detroit, cleveland, and i even felt that way about indy for a long time)

cities that i think it's not as hard:
pitt wins superbowls (6, with 2 different qbs)

ny wins superbowls (3, with 3 different qbs)

GB wins superbowls (is it 5 now? with 3 different qbs?)

is it any wonder, aside from the random colts or seattle or zona or tampa bay sb appearance, that most of the sb teams are hardcore weather teams?

the raiders and 49ers being the best fair weather sb winning franchises ever

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 01:16 AM
i don't know if ben's as good as rivers

i definitely know ben is clutch as hell most of the time, and has the highest qb completion % ever, after contact.

rivers is hamstrung playing in a cursed , awesome weather city IMO

it's hard for me to think any qb can win the sb as a sd charger, till i see it happen. (i feel that way about several cities such as atlanta, detroit, cleveland, and i even felt that way about indy for a long time)

cities that i think it's not as hard:
pitt wins superbowls (6, with 2 different qbs)

ny wins superbowls (3, with 3 different qbs)

GB wins superbowls (is it 5 now? with 3 different qbs?)

is it any wonder, aside from the random colts or seattle or zona or tampa bay sb appearance, that most of the sb teams are hardcore weather teams?

the raiders and 49ers being the best fair weather sb winning franchises ever

Clutch is what makes him equal to Rivers.

Being clutch is a big thing and something teams,players, and fans want.

How many good players do we see in any sport, and not be clutch? There is a whole list, and all are top name, including Lebron James.

If you are clutch, in which he is, and have the ability he has, you are on equal par if not better.

Remember Pittsburgh doesn't even have a good line, they're OL is mediocre, and always has been since Ben has been there. Imagine what he can do with a good OL.

jcdavey
08-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Clutch is what makes him equal to Rivers.

Being clutch is a big thing and something teams,players, and fans want.

How many good players do we see in any sport, and not be clutch? There is a whole list, and all are top name, including Lebron James.

If you are clutch, in which he is, and have the ability he has, you are on equal par if not better.

Remember Pittsburgh doesn't even have a good line, they're OL is mediocre, and always has been since Ben has been there. Imagine what he can do with a good OL.

oh i agree

as a player, i love ben's game

that's not always popular to say, it's believed he holds onto the ball too long in some instances, but aside from peyton's one sb, and everyone and their mother knows he threw more ints that playoffs than tds!, peyton is one of the most unclutch players i've ever seen at qb...ever

honestly eli is more clutch than peyton

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
oh i agree

as a player, i love ben's game

that's not always popular to say, it's believed he holds onto the ball too long in some instances, but aside from peyton's one sb, and everyone and their mother knows he threw more ints that playoffs than tds!, peyton is one of the most unclutch players i've ever seen at qb...ever

honestly eli is more clutch than peyton

The proof of that, is the Saints game. The Colts relied on Peyton to get them back in the game and get the win, but he couldn't do it.

He is just not clutch, and it pains me to say it, but other than the SB win over the Bears, Peyton chokes in the playoffs.

He is just not they're.

Now a Colts fan, would probably say "Well Jeff Saturday is our only good linemen, we have no run game, and our D sucks"

The Peyton Manning we all watched, was able to go 12-4 every season with a bad line, bad defense, and mediocre run game.

It's Peyton's inability to win games in the clutch that's the issue.

jcdavey
08-17-2011, 02:38 AM
the thing about peyton is, his line IS undersized (which is also one of the reasons why they don't run as well as other teams) but peyton, to his detriment, sometimes gets rid of the ball WAY too quick

colts fans like to say it's awesome, his quick release, but it's not always awesome lol

shawinkerpoppin
08-17-2011, 04:18 AM
He probably read something John Clayton wrote on ESPN. That calls everybody elite.

BroncoFan46
08-17-2011, 05:51 AM

2tUsUoMIHZc

Wow, looks like the Bears WR's. Most of those were right off the receivers' hands. :goofy:

baphamet
08-17-2011, 06:14 AM

2tUsUoMIHZc

Eli was good in the playoffs the year they won the SB, i will give him that. every other year he has been bad however (in the playoffs)

he has also been very inconsistent in the regular season as well. blaming his number of int's on receivers doesn't really change anything, you can make the same argument for every QB.

every QB has int's that are a result from receivers running a bad route or tipped passes, it happens.

its not like Eli has no talent at receiver and its not like his OL was terrible. that argument you could make for cutler in Chicago and he only threw 16 int's.

any time you lead then league in int's you had a very bad year, unless your name is Brett favre and still make the PB of course. :rolleyes:

to me eli is easily in the top 5 worst SB winning QB's of all time. he is closer to being a second string QB than he is elite.

not saying he isn't a legit starter, he is, but he is nowhere near elite, not even close.

ERoyal248
08-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Depends what you mean by "elite"

Top 5-6, no, but Top 10-12 sure, he sure as heck isn't in Brady's class.

getlynched47
08-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Eli Manning was adopted.

baphamet
08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Depends what you mean by "elite"

Top 5-6, no, but Top 10-12 sure, he sure as heck isn't in Brady's class.

yeah, i would agree he is about the 10- 12th best QB in the league. when you consider how many teams there are, some without a solid starting QB, that makes Eli a lot closer to mediocre than elite.

i see elite as top 5 or better, maybe top 6 depending on where you list rivers at. :P

#24 Next Champ
08-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Eli Manning was adopted.
Lollll. 10 char

ERoyal248
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
yeah, i would agree he is about the 10- 12th best QB in the league. when you consider how many teams there are, some without a solid starting QB, that makes Eli a lot closer to mediocre than elite.

i see elite as top 5 or better, maybe top 6 depending on where you list rivers at. :P

I got Rivers 6th behind Big Ben and he's elite imo but he needs to step up his game in the playoffs to jump Ben or Brees.

shawinkerpoppin
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Peyton Brady brees rivers Rogers Vick big Ben all elite. I know Vick has had one good year passing but you gotta admit he made some elite throws last season. That's 7 in my opinion.

FlowdaBroncoFan
08-17-2011, 12:56 PM
I dont like Big Ben or Eli. I think both QBs are WAY overrated. Just because someone wins a SB doesnt put them in the top of the class. I think both QBs have benefited from great defenses.

Every QB throws nice passes sometimes. Its the Brady's and Manning's of the world that do it consistently.

IMO, you are considered ELITE when and if you can/do carry your team to/through the playoffs on a consistent basis. Rivers is a fringe elite QB. IMO he is great, just lacks consistancy in the playoffs.

My top 10 list is as follows:

1. Manning
2. Brady
3. Rogers
4. Vick
5. Brees
6. Rivers
7. Rothlesberger
8. Ryan
9. Manning, E.
10. Flacco

InsaneBlaze23
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I dont like Big Ben or Eli. I think both QBs are WAY overrated. Just because someone wins a SB doesnt put them in the top of the class. I think both QBs have benefited from great defenses.

Every QB throws nice passes sometimes. Its the Brady's and Manning's of the world that do it consistently.

IMO, you are considered ELITE when and if you can/do carry your team to/through the playoffs on a consistent basis. Rivers is a fringe elite QB. IMO he is great, just lacks consistancy in the playoffs.

My top 10 list is as follows:

1. Manning
2. Brady
3. Rogers
4. Vick
5. Brees
6. Rivers
7. Rothlesberger
8. Ryan
9. Manning, E.
10. Flacco

I disagree with this list.

Brady and Rodgers are better than Manning. They both have a ability Manning doesn't have, and that's being clutch, plus they can carry a team. We saw in the last 2 seasons that Manning fails to carry the team when things are on the line.

Flacco isn't even top 10, and there is no way Vick is higher than Bress, Little Ben, Ryan, and Rivers, because of 1 season.

Spice 1
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I dont like Big Ben or Eli. I think both QBs are WAY overrated.

I don't know about that. Here's the pass run ratio for Pitt during their SB years:

P379/R549
P506/R460
P479/R471

The Steelers have become more of a pass oriented team in the last few years, and Ben still gets it done. Sure they have a great defense, but he proved that he can win the SB passing the ball in 08 (Eli did the same in 07). Throw in the fact that he's lost Plaxico and Holmes but still managed to perform well, and it's harder to simply dismiss him as overrated. Back in 05/06 it was easy to call Ben overrated, but after the last few years he's shown that he can win big games without defense or a dependable running game.

BluenOrnge4Life
08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
I actually agree with you list, however I wouldn't even have Romo or Schaub in the top 10. I'd actually put Vick at 10, only because we don't know if he can put up the same numbers again or come close to it.

That's fair. The last spot was difficult for me to fill because you have a lot of guys who have the potential to be there - Stafford, Freeman, Bradford, etc - but I just haven't seen enough from them yet.

JaysusCutler
08-17-2011, 03:14 PM
2nd tier. He's a good QB.