PDA

View Full Version : not the prettiest 3-1 team i've ever seen

jcdavey
10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
but despite not having as good of an offense or defense as last year, the chargers are getting it done vs opponents that are now a combined 4 and 12 lol

anyway.....larry english got 2 sacks in one game...holy crap!

vincent jackson's injured yet again, floyd's off and on, and ryan mathews looks freaking awesome!

and no ints for rivers finally!

HavoK471
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Do you think the division is yours?

Chargers never play too pretty during this time of the year but this time they're managing to win somehow

jcdavey
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Do you think the division is yours?

Chargers never play too pretty during this time of the year but this time they're managing to win somehow

not at all, the raiders scare the crap out of me

i don't see any reason that the raiders can't sweep the division again

our run defense doesn't impress me

i just hope, like last year, oakland goes 2-8 outside of the division lol

jcdavey
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
what does impress me is this

english looked like an actual nfl player today

donald butler is awesome, i love him

and marcus gilchrist looks like a good draft pic!

still, the team needs to have more games like this, where they don't commit many mistakes

powderblues
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't get too happy.

The Chargers wins were against 4 opponents who have a collective win total of 4.

Chiefs (1-3)
Vikings (0-4)
Patriots (3-1)
Dolphins (0-4)

1st quarter is over, they handled business, it was sloppy but they took care of it.

Puddleglum
10-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Don't get too happy.

The Chargers wins were against 4 opponents who have a collective win total of 4.

Chiefs (1-3)
Vikings (0-4)
Patriots (3-1)
Dolphins (0-4)

1st quarter is over, they handled business, it was sloppy but they took care of it.

I believe you meant to say that they have a record of 1-11, and while it is a fair point we haven't fared well against 3.5 of those teams in the recent past (we tend to split with the Chiefs so that's where the 0.5 came from).

baphamet
10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
to me this is what i expected other this Rivers struggling and the defense not being as good as i hoped.

i really do believe we will improve in the later months just like always except now we don't have to reply on being so perfect later in the season in order to make the playoffs.

but yeah, the raiders scare me too.

bronx_2003
10-03-2011, 04:16 PM
The Raiders are creating an identity but they won't scare anyone IMO. We should of beat them except for 2 Orton RZ blunders and we are poor at the moment and NE handled them with ease in OAK.

SD are a strange team. You appear to have the talent on O but hardly put up any TD's against MINN, KC and MIAMI, all at home.

Rivers is good, Mathews / Tolbert work well.

I don't know about your OL, does it get manhandles in the RZ ?

I think your receivers are an issue. Once Gates is injured teams just slide coverage over to JAX and there's no other threats. Floyd has never really developed and I don't see many other weapons.

It all looks familiar, SD will win the division because it is so bad but can anyone stop NE.............apart from maybe the Jets crushing them again

powderblues
10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
The Raiders are creating an identity but they won't scare anyone IMO. We should of beat them except for 2 Orton RZ blunders and we are poor at the moment and NE handled them with ease in OAK.

SD are a strange team. You appear to have the talent on O but hardly put up any TD's against MINN, KC and MIAMI, all at home.

Rivers is good, Mathews / Tolbert work well.

I don't know about your OL, does it get manhandles in the RZ ?

I think your receivers are an issue. Once Gates is injured teams just slide coverage over to JAX and there's no other threats. Floyd has never really developed and I don't see many other weapons.

It all looks familiar, SD will win the division because it is so bad but can anyone stop NE.............apart from maybe the Jets crushing them again

Good points.

Chargers have a lot of work to do if they won't to get into playoff shape. But at least they put themselves in a good position (3-1) so no complaints there.

The real tests will be against the Packers, Bears, Lions, Bills, Jets and Raiders (twice).

If they can walk away from those games with a record of (5-2) or better, than I think they can do some serious damage in the playoffs.

If not, then it doesn't look good, because those are playoff caliber teams.

I still think they finish 11-5 at worse, likely 12-4 with the last 3 losses to:

Packers (they just look like a well oiled machine, the Chargers are like a broken printer right now)

Bills (this team worries me, they are like what the Chargers offense was last year, high powered, our defense can't hang)

Raiders (I think we split with them)

bronx_2003
10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Good points.

Chargers have a lot of work to do if they won't to get into playoff shape. But at least they put themselves in a good position (3-1) so no complaints there.

The real tests will be against the Packers, Bears, Lions, Bills, Jets and Raiders (twice).

If they can walk away from those games with a record of (5-2) or better, than I think they can do some serious damage in the playoffs.

If not, then it doesn't look good, because those are playoff caliber teams.

I still think they finish 11-5 at worse, likely 12-4.

If they are your hardest games then that looks very good.

OAK are no pushover but very beatable. The Bills are doing well but again they are very beatable.

I don't rate the Bears.

Not sure if you play GB, DET, JETS home or away. Det and NY are very beatable if it's in SD but very hard if it's not. GB are a hard team to beat anywhere

powderblues
10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
If they are your hardest games then that looks very good.

OAK are no pushover but very beatable. The Bills are doing well but again they are very beatable.

I don't rate the Bears.

Not sure if you play GB, DET, JETS home or away. Det and NY are very beatable if it's in SD but very hard if it's not. GB are a hard team to beat anywhere

Yep, here's the remaining schedule, bolded the games that will be toughest:

@ Broncos (trap game, Chargers might walk in overconfident before bye week)
@ Jets
@ Kansas City
vs Packers (Shootout?)
vs Raiders (SD might get run over)
@ Bears (Looks like the kinda game where SD turns the ball over)
vs Broncos
@ Jaguars
vs Bills (Shootout?)
vs Ravens (SD might get run over)
@ Lions
@ Raiders (Last game of the season, they'll show up)

SoCal Dominance
10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd rather be an ugly 3-1 than a "pretty" 2-2 or 1-3. In seasons past, we probably would've lost the Minnesota & Kansas City games, and the Miami game would've likely been a nail-biter right up till the very end, even after their starting QB left the game.

Minnesota beat us in 2007 after their starting QB left the game, and our defense had held Adrian Peterson to about 50 yards rushing in the 1st half, before he got off for more than 200 rushing yards in the 2nd half alone.

That was also the game in which Antonio Cromartie returned a missed field goal an NFL record 109 yards right before halftime, for all the good it did us, we still lost!

Of our future opponents, I also list playing the Lions in Detroit as a potentially tough game as well.

SoCal Dominance
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Now we’re not the prettiest 4-1 team, but I’ll take it! :salute: