PDA

View Full Version : Palmer to Oakland official

BroncoooJohnson
10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
per Schefter.

they finally have a QB.

fightinglee
10-18-2011, 07:37 AM
I dont know what to think about this. Oak gave up a lot. It could be a disaster for them, but if Palmer plays like he has shown he can, then Oak is going to win the division. They have a killer run game and with palmer that offense could be explosive.

LordTrychon
10-18-2011, 07:40 AM
He may well have been the best option out there for them.

I'm curious what the conditions are on the second first rounder.

It's way too much compensation if that second 1st happens.

But Palmer improves a good team. (I'm assuming he stayed in shape at least till the trade deadline)

Hoserman117
10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Dang, that is a LOT. Raiders pretty much have no draft picks next year :laugh:

Raiderfan76
10-18-2011, 08:12 AM
The ghost of Al Davis made the trade.

xX-Bronco-Xx
10-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Raiders have just been robbed!!!

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Soooooo the Raiders have no 1st, no 2nd, no 3rd, no 4th, no 7th this year.

Raiders got hosed, a 1st this year, and conditional pick next year that could be a 1st, great deal by the Bengals. Building a nice team down in Cincy.

Raiderfan76
10-18-2011, 08:45 AM
The Raiders have two additional picks coming from the loss of ASO and Gallery.

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
The Raiders have two additional picks coming from the loss of ASO and Gallery.

Yes they do, still doesn't change the fact they just gave up 2 1st round picks for Carson Palmer.

Terrible move.

Raiderfan76
10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes they do, still doesn't change the fact they just gave up 2 1st round picks for Carson Palmer.

Terrible move.

What would you consider the Tebow pick to be?

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
What would you consider the Tebow pick to be?

Picked right where he was supposed to be picked?

And he's played a whopping 3 games, and half of one game where he almost pulled a miracle comeback out his butt. We've been competitive in every single game he's played, something we can't say they are with Orton at helm.

But if you think trading 2 1sts for Palmer is good, so be it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

WhoDeyBengals
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
This is the happiest day of my life.

Raiderfan76
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Picked right where he was supposed to be picked?

Are you asking me? If so, no, not even close.

And he's played a whopping 3 games, and half of one game where he almost pulled a miracle comeback out his butt. We've been competitive in every single game he's played, something we can't say they are with Orton at helm.

Ok, I didn't have anything derogatory to say about him so I don't know where that came from.

But if you think trading 2 1sts for Palmer is good, so be it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm pretty sure I didn't state my opinion on what the Raiders gave for Palmer.

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Are you asking me? If so, no, not even close.

Ok, I didn't have anything derogatory to say about him so I don't know where that came from.

I'm pretty sure I didn't state my opinion on what the Raiders gave for Palmer.

No, i'm saying he was supposed be a late-1st, early 2nd, right where he was supposed to be.

All i'm saying is it's too early to say to say he's a bust.

What is your opinion on it, some think it's good, i think it's good to upgrade at QB, but vastly overpaid.

InElwayWeTrust
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I made this up real quick, thought you guys might like it.

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y374/JKr3w13/CarsonPalmerRaiders.jpg

rst08tierney
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Raiders have just been robbed!!!

Not if they make the playoffs and hand it to the division again this year. Carson is a very solid pick up.

It stinks to be at the bottom looking up right now.......anyone else catch my drift?

Raider_Nation
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Terrible move.

Proven players > Possible busts

Plus those will be late round picks. It's not like they're top 10 picks.

As for the upcoming draft, we still have our 2nd plus comp picks from Aso, Miller & Gallery.

Brakshow
10-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Not if they make the playoffs and hand it to the division again this year. Carson is a very solid pick up.

It stinks to be at the bottom looking up right now.......anyone else catch my drift?

Let them make the playoffs. Palmer has been one and done everytime hes made the playoffs anyway :P

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Proven players > Possible busts

Plus those will be late round picks. It's not like they're top 10 picks.

As for the upcoming draft, we still have our 2nd plus comp picks from Aso, Miller & Gallery.

Maybe, maybe not, i agree it won't be a top 10 pick most likely.

Oakland traded it's 2nd to NE for Taiwan Jones, Barksdale, and Van Dyke.

They only have the comp picks, and a 5th-6th :salute:

BroncosDivision
10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Just here to wish ya'll good luck with Palmer, kind of. I'm not gonna lie, the trade made me smile. I think Palmer is trash at this point, but what do I know.

I'm just glad we didn't reach for him like that. A 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder is A LOT. He's worth a 3rd rounder.

Anyway, best of luck with that and a whole lot of :smash:

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
i think they gave up too much, but it's a good move for oakland, they have a guy who destroyed sd last season

edit: i shoulda said 2 guys who destroyed sd last season

palmer and mcfadden

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Let them make the playoffs. Palmer has been one and done everytime hes made the playoffs anyway :P

he's been one and done in cincy

no telling what he'll be in oakland......

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
The ghost of Al Davis made the trade.John Madden approved the deal and gave his insight to the Davis family about Palmer.As i remember,he called out Carson Palmers name quite frequently when he was an announcer,like he enjoyed watching him play. :paper:

ebsoria
10-18-2011, 08:00 PM
This is huge risk, huge reward. Two 1st rounder picks is a lot.

Let's assume Oak possibly takes a QB in the next year or two with one of those 1st round picks. Then takes 2-4 years to develop that QB. So, they're 3- 5 years from being "a QB away". Whereas.. if Palmer pays off, they get that QB that helps them win now, while they already have a very viable chance to win the division. No more rebuilding.. methinks this house is built, it just needs the mortar to harden.

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Let's assume Oak possibly takes a QB in the next year or two with one of those 1st round picks. Then takes 2-4 years to develop that QB. So, they're 3- 5 years from being "a QB away". Whereas.. if Palmer pays off, they get that QB that helps them win now, while they already have a very viable chance to win the division. No more rebuilding.. methinks this house is built, it just needs the mortar to harden.

it's definitely a huge risk

i get the feeling they wanted palmer for a long time now

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
it's definitely a huge risk

i get the feeling they wanted palmer for a long time nowI agree,this was probably on Al's wish list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/18/theres-no-question-whos-running-the-raiders/

Sonic Raider
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
It's not like Oakland is the best at drafting 1st rounders

2010 Rolando McClain - still trying to be a turnover-causing, offense-wrecking machine
2009 Darrius Heyward-Bey - just starting to get it
2008 Darren McFadden - best 1st round pick we've had in years
2007 JaMarcus Russell - no need to say anything here *SMH*
2006 Michael Huff - took a while but has come around as of late
2005 Fabian Washington - traded after a few years
2004 Robert Gallery - disappointment at LT, was an average guard
2003 Nnamdi Asomugha - Hardly made any plays his last years in the league
2002 Napoleon Harris & Philip Buchanon - Both gone
2001 Derrick Gibson - Bust

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 09:28 PM

2010 Rolando McClain - still trying to be a turnover-causing, offense-wrecking machine

i think what your option was is hoping the team with the #1 pick would trade you it for your 2 1st rounders in 2012 and 2013 (along with something else) so you could get luck , or you go after a qb you've wanted for a while , for at the least a 1st in 2012 and a 2nd in 2013

so in that sense, raiders got what they wanted

if it was me, i probably roll with boller or a different vet from FA, since oakland's mainly a running team, and then if i still want a new franchise qb in the offseason, then i roll the dice on multiple 1sts and whatever else, to go after luck (if they even like luck)

i don't fault what oakland did though, they want to make a big push right now

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM

Huh, Nnamdi is a beast, most Raider fans would kill to have him back.

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Huh, Nnamdi is a beast, most Raider fans would kill to have him back.Not me,i'd rather have Asante Sameuls than Nnamdi.

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Not me,i'd rather have Asante Sameuls than Nnamdi.

if i'm playing man to man, i'd rather have nnamdi than ashanti and say of the week and a million times more on sunday

ERoyal248
10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Not me,i'd rather have Asante Sameuls than Nnamdi.

Why, because of the flashy INT's??

- Nnamdi is a WAY better tackler, Asante is one of if not the worst tackling CB in the game.

- Asante gets burned far too often.

- Takes terrible pursuit to the ball.

Among other things, i'd love to have Samuel oppo Champ, but no way is he better then Nnamdi.

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Among other things, i'd love to have Samuel oppo Champ, but no way is he better then Nnamdi.I like Asante because the ints he gets are game changing ints,he is a baller.I know he is not a good tackler,but i like the routes he jumps,he is spot on a lot of times.

I would also like him on the opposite of Champ,it would be great to watch.

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Back on topic:

I felt the signing of Palmer put another face to the organization.A lot of people was in mourning of Al,and didn't know what direction the team was going.It changed the thought process of the media and fans and got their minds right back on Raider football.

Maybe giving up these picks was actually a splash to refocus back on the team instead of Al Davis.And with the picks worth,i think it did just that :)

jcdavey
10-18-2011, 11:50 PM
I like Asante because the ints he gets are game changing ints,he is a baller.I know he is not a good tackler,but i like the routes he jumps,he is spot on a lot of times.

I would also like him on the opposite of Champ,it would be great to watch.

cept for the int he dropped in the sb, then a couple plays later eli to plaxico....giants win

SoCal Dominance
10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
I dont know what to think about this. Oak gave up a lot. It could be a disaster for them, but if Palmer plays like he has shown he can, then Oak is going to win the division. They have a killer run game and with palmer that offense could be explosive.
I don’t know about Oakland suddenly winning the division due to this trade, San Diego still has something to say about that….

I think it’s a good deal for Oakland, and a great deal for Cincinnati. Oakland gets a quality starting QB who has experience & familiarity with the Head Coach, one who keeps them viable despite the loss of Jason Campbell.

Cincy gets at worse a 1st round pick & a 2nd, but may end up getting two #1s for a malcontent who was not helping their team at all this season, and did not plan to ever again. They have a good young QB/WR combo that they like, and now have a couple of additional high draft picks to help them built around their QB & WR of the future.

It sucks for Kyle Boller & Jason Campbell, one or both of them will be out on the street & looking for work yet again next season.

Considering the fact that they “drafted” Terrell Pryor this year, and now have Carson Palmer and may even keep either Campbell or Boller, I think the odds of them drafting another QB with a high draft pick anytime soon is negligible.

They could get rid of both Jason & Kyle, keep Terrell as the #2 and draft a kid with a late round pick as the #3.

cept for the int he dropped in the sb, then a couple plays later eli to plaxico....giants win
True that, and he suddenly “became” a Philadelphia Eagle the very next season.

jcdavey
10-19-2011, 02:25 AM
I don’t know about Oakland suddenly winning the division due to this trade, San Diego still has something to say about that….

I think it’s a good deal for Oakland, and a great deal for Cincinnati. Oakland gets a quality starting QB who has experience & familiarity with the Head Coach, one who keeps them viable despite the loss of Jason Campbell.

Cincy gets at worse a 1st round pick & a 2nd, but may end up getting two #1s for a malcontent who was not helping their team at all this season, and did not plan to ever again. They have a good young QB/WR combo that they like, and now have a couple of additional high draft picks to help them built around their QB & WR of the future.

It sucks for Kyle Boller & Jason Campbell, one or both of them will be out on the street & looking for work yet again next season.

Considering the fact that they “drafted” Terrell Pryor this year, and now have Carson Palmer and may even keep either Campbell or Boller, I think the odds of them drafting another QB with a high draft pick anytime soon is negligible.

They could get rid of both Jason & Kyle, keep Terrell as the #2 and draft a kid with a late round pick as the #3.

True that, and he suddenly “became” a Philadelphia Eagle the very next season.

yeah he was demanding more money in extension talks that season, then he drops that int and it's "so long asante" haha

SoCal Dominance
10-19-2011, 03:32 AM
yeah he was demanding more money in extension talks that season, then he drops that int and it's "so long asante" haha
Speaking of “money”, the Raiders are spending an awful lot of it on Carson Palmer – he’s got a few years left on his current contract, he’s making about $5 million this year, and due to make about $12 million next season - Bengals GM Mike Brown is looking smarter by the minute! Bengals QB Palmer signs extension through 2014 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2274314)

jcdavey
10-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Speaking of “money”, the Raiders are spending an awful lot of it on Carson Palmer – he’s got a few years left on his current contract, he’s making about $5 million this year, and due to make about $12 million next season - Bengals GM Mike Brown is looking smarter by the minute! Bengals QB Palmer signs extension through 2014 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2274314)

yeah, for the money, and for what oakland gave up, it's pretty much carson or bust

but again, what a great situation to go to, a very good rushing team, so he's not going somewhere where he's gotta be peyton manning

rst08tierney
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
With Oaklands offensive power with their ground game, Carson was a needed piece of the puzzle. Oakland is no longer a bottom feeder in the league but an up coming team who quite possibly will make deep Superbowl push in the next 3 years.

So with that being said, first round talent for a team who has been stacked first rounders since 2005 is not that needed to succeed in the next 3 years. Give Cinci two firsts to take the next step forward.

Oakland right now is not only scary fast on the outside, they are playing SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL by pounding their opponents. As everyone knows this league is a "copy cat league" except if your the Raiders. Al Davis knew it takes a solid running game to win the division. He said forget 5 wide sets, im going to run it down opposing teams throats. Not only did he prove that last year, the team picked up where it left off and has been dominating teams on the ground this year.

Carson Palmer will make a huge impact because all the pressure to make plays down the field is gone due to Oaklands ground game. expect Palmer to make Oaklands tight ends his new best friends. 2 Firsts IMO was a steal for a key player to take a team from 8-8 to a play off push. So yes, it is Carson or bust, but then again isn't every starting QB on every NFL teams roster detrimental for success?

Any denver fan not afraid of Oakland now, will be as this team continues to prove it self. If Carson stays healthy, the AFC West will become the power house it once was and the Oakland Raiders will be a huge obstacle for the Broncos to over come.

I just hope Denver is able to make enough moves this off season to stay competitive with the rest of the division. Im really counting on Tebow becoming the future of this team so we can focus on other areas of the team during the draft instead of the QB position.

BroncoSexyDaddy
10-26-2011, 09:46 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/26/carson-palmer-cant-see-t-o-coming-to-oakland/

Carson Palmer “can’t see” T.O. coming to Oakland
Posted by Mike Florio on October 26, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT

Last year, Terrell Owens caught 72 passes as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals, where Carson Palmer was the starting quarterback. Recently, Palmer was working out with Owens. But now that Palmer is a Raider and Owens is ready to play, Palmer isn’t interested in a reunion.

“T.O. and I had a great working relationship, he had one of his most successful years over the past five or six years, a lot of production and he was a great teammate in Cincinnati,” Palmer told 95.7 The Game. “The problem is that for him to get here there’s not anybody that we could let go, we have a stable of young horses that can run and guys that can just move, very young, very inexperienced but tons of potential and it’s tough to give up a young guy with a lot of potential for a guy that’s got a lot of history in the league that’s in his late 30s, so I can’t see him coming here but I had a good time playing with him and he’s an explosive player himself.”

Sorry, but if Palmer thought that Owens would make the team better, Palmer would suggest that Owens replace Derek Hagan, a 27-year-old journeyman who has only 11 catches in six games. Maybe Palmer has seen that T.O. simply doesn’t have it any longer. Or maybe Palmer got more than a bellyful of T.O. during their one season together in Cincinnati.

Either way, the fact that his most recent starting quarterback doesn’t want T.O. will make it even harder for another team and another starting quarterback to welcome Owens with open arms.

SoCal Dominance
10-27-2011, 03:54 AM
It’s usually T.O. throwing a quarterback under the bus, not the other way around! :D