PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the AFC North

Sovereignty
11-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I figured I'd post this with the thread on the NFC North being present. I've got my lot in with my own boys, as I feel the Steelers' era is over. But the Bengals' present a fairly good offensive and great defensive obstacle in that goal. So what do you think? And tell me why you think so?

I think my Ravens' have finally found some sort of an offensive rhythm in Pittsburgh, as we decided not to go by Cam's usual routine of repeat same strategy as last time because it worked then, and have it fail..then repeat, again. No, we showed poise, passion, and ability all at once for the first time this season on the offensive side, I think, and our defense put up another good showing although Pittsburgh did build up yardage on us, but that is the game it was. We put good yards on them.

Browns are there out of convenience.

ERoyal248
11-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Already a poll, and i'd go Baltimore.

Pittsburgh basically has to hope the Ravens collapse to get HFA since the Ravens own the tiebreaker. Ravens have a pretty favorable schedule from here on out.

Crazy that the Steelers could go 13-3, and not have HFA........

Sovereignty
11-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, it's fitting; Sunday night's game was crazy, and had a crazy ending. The lasting results should be as established, and crazy, as they are. I like it that way. As for there already being a poll, hadn't noticed.

ursamajor
11-07-2011, 11:45 PM
I am pulling far the Ravens. I like that style of football. Nice game winning drive by Flacco (who is a better qb than Ryan, and is obvious to anyone who has eyes).

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Browns are there out of convenience.

Why, golly, gee, willikers !!!

Also, you made this because nobody made an AFC North one?

Yes, somebody did. Nobody cares.

Who Wins the AFC North? (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=191716&highlight=North)

The only fans on here representing the AFC North are WhoDey, who I haven't seen much of lately and myself.

WhoDeyBengals
11-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Considering the Ravens beat the Steelers twice, it would be easy for people to hop on the bandwagon at this point. But I'll be quick to point out that the Ravens have lost to both the Jaguars and the Titans (and embarrassingly, in the case of the latter), two teams that the Bengals have defeated.

I'm fairly certain that Baltimore will win the division, but I like our chances of getting a wildcard. And enjoy your time now, because it's coming to a close. We've got five draft picks in the first three rounds of this year's draft and we don't need a quarterback. We can fix our issues (which are surprisingly minor) and own this division for a good long minute.

If we beat Pittsburgh this weekend, all bets are off. We'll take it.

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 12:30 AM
The only fans on here representing the AFC North are WhoDey, who I haven't seen much of lately and myself.

Well, I spoke too soon.

WhoDeyBengals
11-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Well, I spoke too soon.

I've been lurking a bit lately, but I've been waaaay too busy to post until now. Finally got a vacation. :beer:

jcdavey
11-08-2011, 01:12 AM
bengals

as it turns out, they probably have the most balanced team right now, in that division

Sovereignty
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Considering the Ravens beat the Steelers twice, it would be easy for people to hop on the bandwagon at this point. But I'll be quick to point out that the Ravens have lost to both the Jaguars and the Titans (and embarrassingly, in the case of the latter), two teams that the Bengals have defeated.

I'm fairly certain that Baltimore will win the division, but I like our chances of getting a wildcard. And enjoy your time now, because it's coming to a close. We've got five draft picks in the first three rounds of this year's draft and we don't need a quarterback. We can fix our issues (which are surprisingly minor) and own this division for a good long minute.

If we beat Pittsburgh this weekend, all bets are off. We'll take it.

Enjoy our time? Actually I don't feel like our time has even truly come; I just feel like the Steelers' time and era has closed. We've embarrassed ourselves more than Jacksonville and Tennessee did to us on their own this season. Though we won the game against Arizona, it was still an embarrassment. Our "time" has not come yet, and thus it won't come to a close. If you ask me, both the Bengals' and the Ravens' are rising to a point where they need and want to be.

Regarding Charlie Brown's comments, we've never gotten along. Never will. I'm not concerned. I wasn't asking for a taunt with the only fan representing the AFC North being WhoDey because, according to you, we're not in the AFC North. I'm not concerned with your bitter cynicism because your team has failed itself more than the city has failed it in terms of budget. It's pointless to argue as much as we did prior. I was only asking what people thought.

The Bengals' have as much a chance as us winning the division this year.

WhoDeyBengals
11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Enjoy our time? Actually I don't feel like our time has even truly come; I just feel like the Steelers' time and era has closed.
To quote Sapp: They're old. They're slow. It's over.

I don't know that he's right, but I wouldn't mind seeing them continue to decline. I know that I'm not nearly as impressed with them as I have been in previous years.

We've embarrassed ourselves more than Jacksonville and Tennessee did to us on their own this season. Though we won the game against Arizona, it was still an embarrassment. Our "time" has not come yet, and thus it won't come to a close. If you ask me, both the Bengals' and the Ravens' are rising to a point where they need and want to be.
The question I have for you is, what do you think contributed to those losses and that bad half against the Cardinals? I seriously was shocked to see Arizona up so big early. Of course, I was equally disappointed to see you guys erase the lead.

The Bengals' have as much a chance as us winning the division this year.
Statistically, sure. The Bengals have a murderer's row to overcome in the second half, but if they can pull it off they're contenders.

Sovereignty
11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
To quote Sapp: They're old. They're slow. It's over.

I don't know that he's right, but I wouldn't mind seeing them continue to decline. I know that I'm not nearly as impressed with them as I have been in previous years.

The question I have for you is, what do you think contributed to those losses and that bad half against the Cardinals? I seriously was shocked to see Arizona up so big early. Of course, I was equally disappointed to see you guys erase the lead.

Statistically, sure. The Bengals have a murderer's row to overcome in the second half, but if they can pull it off they're contenders.

The Steelers' decline will continue into later years, to a point where I honestly believe they become one of those teams that are not mentioned at a household point. I think we'll also see a huge drop in the number of Steelers' fans in the coming years, because so many of them are there for bandwagon reasons.

Regarding Jacksonville & Arizona, I think what contributed to our poor play in those games was the same thing that contributed to our poor play in Tennessee.

Our defense has played well this season, but they are not at a level where they can carry the offense, and the problems lay in the offense, still, if you ask me. Injuries plagued us, but were there truly KEY players injured? No, not if you ask me. Flacco, at the time, had a lack of passion and spirit for the game itself, and it caught up at times, although he finally gained a bit during the comeback against Arizona.

Our receivers are a young, battered corp. Torrey Smith is going to be great, but he has problems. Our offensive line, has problems this year, big problems, in maintaining actual pass rushes. When you look at the games though, the actual games, one thing you notice is our lack of offensive innovation. Which I think can be blamed on Cam Cameron, and the rest of the staff for not stepping in and saying something.

We won against Pittsburgh in Week 1 using the same strategies, but because we were ready. That game carries passion in itself, and speaks for itself, just because of who played. However - we showed a lack of innovation, and knowledge, in our offensive playcalling following that game, such as in Tennessee. We constantly talked about how 'great' our running game was, but never flexed or truly tried it.

We put a conservative, and overdone offensive strategy on the shoulders of a player who was too concerned about that rather than winning the game and hoped good results would come out of it; it did not. Our offense is stagnant, and inconsistent still. It still has problems managing a PROPER streak of victories, and keeping itself in the W column. "Bright lights" and "road games" are not the excuse as some Ravens' fans have put it ((Say, in the case of Jacksonville.)). It's a factor of offensive stagnation and offensive inconsistency. Our secondary is not that great, either. We have a great defense, and it's certainly great at being physical. But I recall against the Steelers' they kept talking about Brian Pollard, for one, and his ability to be a big hitter, but not a great cover cornerback. "Big hits" and some "big turnovers" ever now and then are what we pride ourselves on, but our physicality cannot win every game and hold every offense in the league. So, we also have to look at that.

Either way, I think the majority and core of the blame lies with Cam Cameron, and a lack of offensive consistency, and ingenuity.

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Regarding Charlie Brown's comments, we've never gotten along. Never will. I'm not concerned. I wasn't asking for a taunt with the only fan representing the AFC North being WhoDey because, according to you, we're not in the AFC North. I'm not concerned with your bitter cynicism because your team has failed itself more than the city has failed it in terms of budget. It's pointless to argue as much as we did prior. I was only asking what people thought.

No, what I said is true. As far as you and I are concerned Baltimore does not belong in the AFC North. They belong in the AFC South. Your title even reflects that. WhoDey's signature shows the Bengals playing a rival - the Browns. Yet, you are more concerned with the Colts.

NFL should oblige and put you back in that division that way you are happy. Cleveland has never failed the Browns. Never, not once. I don't want to get into the lie that you are repeating.

Sovereignty
11-08-2011, 04:07 PM
No, what I said is true. As far as you and I are concerned Baltimore does not belong in the AFC North. They belong in the AFC South. Your title even reflects that. WhoDey's signature shows the Bengals playing a rival - the Browns. Yet, you are more concerned with the Colts.

NFL should oblige and put you back in that division that way you are happy. Cleveland has never failed the Browns. Never, not once. I don't want to get into the lie that you are repeating.

CHARLIE, SIR, I'M INCLINED TO BELIEVE YOU TAKE MY TITLE A BIT TOO SERIOUSLY.

What my title is, reflects humor, obviously, being that the Colts are not 8-0. Or are they? YOU ARE THE EXPERT. You can complain all you want, Charlie, the NFL will not heed the words of one embittered Browns' fan, nor will anyone. Or even a thousand embittered fans of various teams. It won't change anything, it's useless to start an argument with someone every time you have the chance on a football forum because you can't let things go.

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
CHARLIE, SIR, I'M INCLINED TO BELIEVE YOU TAKE MY TITLE A BIT TOO SERIOUSLY.

What my title is, reflects humor, obviously, being that the Colts are not 8-0. Or are they? YOU ARE THE EXPERT.

The Colts are not 8-0, nor are they 0-8. They are 0-9.

I simply am pointing out that Baltimore has a rivalry with the Colts. Sure, Colts fans don't consider it a rivalry. But, Baltimore? They get all up in arms whenever the Colts are mentioned. They have more of a rivalry with that team than they do with half of the AFC North division.

The Jaguars have more of a stake in the AFC North than Baltimore does. The Titans have an even bigger stake in the AFC North.

You can complain all you want, Charlie, the NFL will not heed the words of one embittered Browns' fan, nor will anyone. Or even a thousand embittered fans of various teams.

No, it is not about being "bitter" it is a matter of fact and is verifiable. Look at the players that are honored at Baltimore's Stadium. Johnny Unitas, etc.. Yet, he is in the Hall of Fame with the Colts. The mere presence of Baltimore in the AFC North is piggybacking. Piggybacking on the legacies of teams that belong in the AFC North.

Sovereignty
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
The Colts are not 8-0, nor are they 0-8. They are 0-9.

I simply am pointing out that Baltimore has a rivalry with the Colts. Sure, Colts fans don't consider it a rivalry. But, Baltimore? They get all up in arms whenever the Colts are mentioned. They have more of a rivalry with that team than they do with half of the AFC North division.

The Jaguars have more of a stake in the AFC North than Baltimore does. The Titans have an even bigger stake in the AFC North.

No, it is not about being "bitter" it is a matter of fact and is verifiable. Look at the players that are honored at Baltimore's Stadium. Johnny Unitas, etc.. Yet, he is in the Hall of Fame with the Colts. The mere presence of Baltimore in the AFC North is piggybacking. Piggybacking on the legacies of teams that belong in the AFC North.

I agree with you on the notion the Ravens' and Colts have a rivalry, but I wouldn't say it's as big as it used to be. My title is merely to mock the Colts' lack of talent this season and ability to play the game because of the loss of one player. Not to insult the Colts' as an organization because I hate them, just their record this year.

They are honored there because of their history, and because of our teams' youth. We have not created a long-lasting legacy, but there are several other teams that haven't either. We are placed, where we are placed, and we will build a legacy in the division which we are in, and no matter how much you complain about it, that won't change anytime soon. That's the bottom line. Complaining will get you nowhere, except make you look bitter.

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
We have not created a long-lasting legacy, but there are several other teams that haven't either. We are placed, where we are placed,.

Hence what I call "piggybacking".

Baltimore does not have a legacy, so they "piggyback" on others teams legacies. They "honor" Johnny Unitas for what he did with the Colts (when they were in Baltimore). Then, they honor an abscure back that played for them (an aged over-the-hill Byner) that is best known for playing with the Browns and Redskins in the 80s. So, they try to feed off of the legacies of others teams and hijack it and try to call it their own.

Ask the Bronco fans on here, they are very familiar with Byner. They won't say: "yea, he's that really old running back that played for Baltimore in the mid 90s."

Also, I argue that the NFL placed Baltimore in the AFC for the same above reason. Piggybacking. The Browns were out of the NFL for a few years while they were held in trust, so the NFL schemed to foment a rivalry between Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnatti. Then, when the Browns finally returned, the NFL hoped to foment another rivalry between Cleveland and Baltimore.

The media bought into it and other NFL teams fans bought into it. They made extremely innaccurate claims about Baltimore and Cleveland trying to link them. When, it is well documented that Cleveland SUED and prevented just what the NFL was trying to capitalize on.

Sovereignty
11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Hence what I call "piggybacking".

Baltimore does not have a legacy, so they "piggyback" on others teams legacies. They "honor" Johnny Unitas for what he did with the Colts (when they were in Baltimore). Then, they honor an abscure back that played for them (an aged over-the-hill Byner) that is best known for playing with the Browns and Redskins in the 80s. So, they try to feed off of the legacies of others teams and hijack it and try to call it their own.

Ask the Bronco fans on here, they are very familiar with Byner. They won't say: "yea, he's that really old running back that played for Baltimore in the mid 90s."

Also, I argue that the NFL placed Baltimore in the AFC for the same above reason. Piggybacking. The Browns were out of the NFL for a few years while they were held in trust, so the NFL schemed to foment a rivalry between Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnatti. Then, when the Browns finally returned, the NFL hoped to foment another rivalry between Cleveland and Baltimore.

The media bought into it and other NFL teams fans bought into it. They made extremely innaccurate claims about Baltimore and Cleveland trying to link them. When, it is well documented that Cleveland SUED and prevented just what the NFL was trying to capitalize on.

We're not basing any legacy we claim to have prior to now on the Ravens, but on the city of Baltimore and it's past in NFL football. Regarding what you said on the matter, we haven't had long enough to build a sustaining legacy as the Baltimore Ravens, so our pride exists with those who came before us.

I recall a while back you busted on Baltimore as well, calling it a city of rapists, and calling the Ravens criminals. My response then is the same it is now. Cleveland isn't much better.

This claim of 'piggybacking' is irrelevant when we claim nothing in the name of the Ravens', but in the name of the city, whom Unitas DID play for. Maybe not the Ravens', but he played for the city of Baltimore during its best era in NFL football, hence why we honor him in that manner.

IMO, you take the matter far too seriously and out of your no frillz hatred you create entire complex conspiracies and webs against the Browns and other teams, as well as the whole NFL. You cannot blame your bitter loss on us, only those who directed that loss. All you're doing is raging at complete strangers' online because of the decision of a series of owners & commissioners. To be entirely honest, a lot of your anger seems childish. You hide said childishness in a veil of well-written English. But all your complaining, and endless yapping about the matter just proves my point still.

There's no point to complaining. What's done is done, and what will stay so far is what will stay so far. You are wasting keystrokes, and yelling at a proverbial wall. I'd like to have a legitimate conversation with you, but you cannot get past your negativity and emotions to do so. Which, I find tragic. You cannot actually talk to me as a person, because of what team I root for in the game ((keyword)) of football, and that IS childish.

Charlie Brown
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Steelers will win the division.

WhoDeyBengals
11-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Not to interject, but I hate to be spoken for, and before there was a picture of the Browns in my sig there was a picture of Johnson and Dunlap absolutely crushing Joe Flacco. No disrespect, but don't drag me into your little pissing match with the Ravens fan.

I like the fact that Baltimore is in our division. I also like the fact that the Bengals have owned them for a decade, despite our off years. :P

Sovereignty
11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Not to interject, but I hate to be spoken for, and before there was a picture of the Browns in my sig there was a picture of Johnson and Dunlap absolutely crushing Joe Flacco. No disrespect, but don't drag me into your little pissing match with the Ravens fan.

I like the fact that Baltimore is in our division. I also like the fact that the Bengals have owned them for a decade, despite our off years. :P

The pissing match is irrelevant; I posted my answer to your question as to why our losses occurred if you have not read it, WhoDey.

BroncosDivision
11-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I think the Baltimore Ravens and I actually said that before the season started.

But make no mistake. That Cincy defense is real, you better believe it. But the way I see things, if Joe Flacco can keep it cool and do okay (doesn't have to be elite), that division belongs to B-more.

I asked you about Cam Cameron in another thread and I agree. He is arguably one of the worst coordinators in the entire league, not that our own McCoy is much better though.

Anyway.. I'll be rooting for you guys when we're not playing ya.. I've always been a sucker for tough defense and those days are over in Denver (Orange Crush) although we're quietly building something quite special that may blossom in a few years.