PDA

View Full Version : Broncos may be ready to start Nate Irving in 2012

JayJack
02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Sporting News' Andrew Mason suggests that the Broncos may be ready to turn over their starting middle linebacker job to Nate Irving in 2012.
The 67th overall pick in last year's draft, the Broncos are smitten with Irving's "presence and potential," per Mason, and he may very well have started games in 2011 if not for the lockout-shortened offseason. Denver instead stuck with Joe Mays, a two-down thumper who lacks Irving's range, playmaking ability, and cover skills. Mays may be allowed to sign elsewhere this spring.

Related: Joe Mays

Source: Sporting News Feb 12 - 4:12 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6619&line=227764&spln=1

HavoK471
02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Come on Irving, turn into that nasty MLB we've been missing

InElwayWeTrust
02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
It would be awesome if he were to develop, because that is one less need we have to address. I am really hoping he develops into a good starter, and we can focus on DT and CB in F/A and the draft.

Kansas Bob
02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
When Irving was drafted I remember some "experts" saying that he was the #1 MLB prospect in the draft and could easily have been a #1 draft choice! I have faith that he will be an all-pro someday IF he can stay healthy!

Remedy
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
That would be nice. very nice.. if he developed into a real nasty MLB :)

ERoyal248
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Said it for awhile, won't be surprised if we let Mays walk, and go with Irving next year at MLB.

The FO is pretty high on him, and lockout hurt him. Looking forward to seeing how he does next year if he does indeed start.

iLands
02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
If this pans out :jawdrop:

This is shaping up to be the best offseason ever!

Dan in the Can
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
This would be great. While I was impressed with the oh so few thumpings Joe Mays laid on people, his play was simply to erratic and inconsistent. We need a strong presence in the middle of the field to lead our defense.

#24 Next Champ
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Obviously would love for Irving to come in and take the starting spot

Caliraiderhater
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I would LOVE for Irving to pan out! I was a big fan of his from his college days! He would have been a sure fire 1st round pick had it not been for his horrific car accident he dealt with. And STILL coming back from that I remember Parcells saying before the draft Irving was the ONLY MLB he put a first round grade on.

Although Mays can knock a fool out...he whiffs an awful lot and runs himself out of plays way to often! If the front office believes Irving will be our guy, thats one less need in FA and the Draft allowing us to hopefully focus on DT/CB & RB!

sbxxxiichamps
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
We won't know til September but I sure hope he lives up to his potential!

flosstein
02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Good move!!! Time to put the kid under fire. With DJ, Von, Woody, and Irving we could possibly be looking at the best LB corp in the NFL in 2012. :goz:

ERoyal248
02-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Good move!!! Time to put the kid under fire. With DJ, Von, Woody, and Irving we could possibly be looking at the best LB corp in the NFL in 2012. :goz:

Not quite, but one of for sure...

MHS
02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
When Irving was drafted I remember some "experts" saying that he was the #1 MLB prospect in the draft and could easily have been a #1 draft choice! I have faith that he will be an all-pro someday IF he can stay healthy!

I remember reeding this too but that his car wreck derailed that.

flosstein
02-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Not quite, but one of for sure...

If Jack pushes our guys to their potential, the only corps that would be close, are San Fan and Houston. But I'm a homer, lol!!!!! I see nothing but greatness coming out of that group!!!

ERoyal248
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
If Jack pushes our guys to their potential, the only corps that would be close, are San Fan and Houston. But I'm a homer, lol!!!!! I see nothing but greatness coming out of that group!!!

Bal, Pitt, and others could be better as well.

But i do agree, that starting 3 could be REALLY good if Irving pans out.

getlynched47
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Thank goodness.

Now we can stop the Vontaze Burfict nonsense :coffee:

canadiansbronco
02-12-2012, 04:43 PM

lol not the best but a good one

SouthernBronco
02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
good read.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-12/denver-broncos-offseason-plan-tebows-development-not-the-only-priority

Fixed link for ya!

#24 Next Champ
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Thank goodness.

Now we can stop the Vontaze Burfict nonsense :coffee:

Can't believe how out of shape that guy is ...that's ridiculous

Just shows complete lack of work ethic when that's already his wrap...unreal

darklord
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Would be great to see Nate start and be the Mike we all hope he can be plus one less need going into FA and the draft. JDR could help his progression being a former linebacker looking forward to seeing Nate in action

flosstein
02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Would be great to see Nate start and be the Mike we all hope he can be plus one less need going into FA and the draft. JDR could help his progression being a former linebacker looking forward to seeing Nate in action

That's the reason I say we're going to be the best group, Jack! I have a feeling we're gonna see the line backing play from the Orange Crush years and the 2 SB win years. But again, I'm a big homer and I still have a very full glass of Orange Kool-Aid!!!!

darklord
02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I hear ya flosstein and hope your right if Nate pans out our linebackers will be pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing them play as a unit

broncolee
02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm all for anything that adds speed to the linebacker corps.:thumb:

shawinkerpoppin
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
The article is really playing Irving up bigger than what he is. My problem is that I dont recall him seeing the field all year. I would be real nervous if the broncos went with him no questions asked going into camp. Still wouldnt mind burfict and still wouldnt mind mays resigned or another upgrade.

HavoK471
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
The article is really playing Irving up bigger than what he is. My problem is that I dont recall him seeing the field all year. I would be real nervous if the broncos went with him no questions asked going into camp. Still wouldnt mind burfict and still wouldnt mind mays resigned or another upgrade.
Off the top of my head I can only remember seeing him in two plays

One I recall seeing him not be able to get off a block

The other was against the Chiefs where the entire team but Irving fell for the play action at the goal line.

ERoyal248
02-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Probably is, i remember him against the Chiefs in for a few plays.

Like Tebow, we gotta find out what we got in him, the FO has high expectations for him or was high on him in the draft. He didn't have much time to learn the playbook among other things. Look at the Steelers with Timmons, took him quite a while to develop, now he's pretty good.

Eww on Burfict, wouldn't mind Mays as a backup, but he wants to start somewhere i'd imagine.

JayJack
02-12-2012, 10:18 PM

I didn't get that at all. I took it as Andrew Mason talked to one of the big 3 (EFX) and he came away from the interview that they are really big on Irving. EFX has talked about how Irving was the #1 MLB on our board, and they've also talked about his athleticism, coverage skills, etc. So I think this report is dead on with what EFX has mentioned in the past.

mopatt24
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I can't say I didn't see that coming. I'm pulling for the kid.

SoundsOfSuccess
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
The true test to see where the FO feels on his development will be day 1 of the draft. If they pass up on Zach Brown, now looking more likely, Nate Irving is the man.

JayJack
02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
The true test to see where the FO feels on his development will be day 1 of the draft. If they pass up on Zach Brown, now looking more likely, Nate Irving is the man.

Or it could mean that we might trade DJ and Brown will be our WOLB. I know trading DJ isn't the favorite statement around here, but it could happen.

EDIT: I don't know anything about Brown, just responding to your post.

underrated29
02-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Yeah, it was bill parcells.

I would LOVE for Irving to pan out! I was a big fan of his from his college days! He would have been a sure fire 1st round pick had it not been for his horrific car accident he dealt with. And STILL coming back from that I remember Parcells saying before the draft Irving was the ONLY MLB he put a first round grade on.

Although Mays can knock a fool out...he whiffs an awful lot and runs himself out of plays way to often! If the front office believes Irving will be our guy, thats one less need in FA and the Draft allowing us to hopefully focus on DT/CB & RB!

oh- ^ he beat me to it.

orangecrushtime
02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I think Irving is a huge sleeper. He has all the tangibles to really help this defense and I just can't see him not eventually starting.

kishzilla
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Sporting News' Andrew Mason suggests that the Broncos may be ready to turn over their starting middle linebacker job to Nate Irving in 2012.
The 67th overall pick in last year's draft, the Broncos are smitten with Irving's "presence and potential," per Mason, and he may very well have started games in 2011 if not for the lockout-shortened offseason. Denver instead stuck with Joe Mays, a two-down thumper who lacks Irving's range, playmaking ability, and cover skills. Mays may be allowed to sign elsewhere this spring.

Related: Joe Mays

Source: Sporting News Feb 12 - 4:12 PM

Use the News Wire for this stuff dude, that's what it's for :salute:

Papa-pwn
02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Use the News Wire for this stuff dude, that's what it's for :salute:

While that is true, I'm not a fan of it :(

Oh well. :shrug:

Rarelyoffended
02-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Shawnin has to be a troll he never has any positive hope or things to say about Denver.

shawinkerpoppin
02-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Shawnin has to be a troll he never has any positive hope or things to say about Denver.

becuase im being honest? They talk about play making ability and all of this other stuff but even with injuries on the team they put woodyard and haggan in over him. They are hyping him up alot. There were plenty of times mays struggles but was still kept in the game over Irving. With Irving im on a "believe the hype when I see it" basis. Lets be honest. Prior to this hype article many were talking vontaze in the first and second and another mlb i think Hightower.

Yakka27
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
This is great news, hopefully this means we don't need to grab a MLB in the draft, allowing us to hit at other needs.

crash123go
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Me either! Blaw

BroncoooJohnson
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
becuase im being honest? They talk about play making ability and all of this other stuff but even with injuries on the team they put woodyard and haggan in over him. They are hyping him up alot. There were plenty of times mays struggles but was still kept in the game over Irving. With Irving im on a "believe the hype when I see it" basis. Lets be honest. Prior to this hype article many were talking vontaze in the first and second and another mlb i think Hightower.

That's "fans" speaking, what do you expect? Hightower is a McClain type player, he's big, but still slow for a MLB. When's the last time Fox drafted or brought in a MLB over 240 pounds? Before Beason and Connor, I'll tell you that.

And Burfict; the dude was on the same level of Irving in college, but hard hits and good speed (which he has misused) boosted him to 1st round status, until everybody realized that he belongs on Shutter Island.

Irving was productive every season in college, and was a team captain. I'd feel MUCH more confident in Irving than Burfict, and he has more upside than Joe Mays.

ERoyal248
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Well, he is right, you don't really say much positive things about your own team.

Maybe they wanted Irving to learn the game, the lockout hurt him among other things. Vontaze, ewwwwwww, Hightower, if he's there, maybe but we got other needs.

Fact remains starting Irving would be good, and we gotta find out like we did with Tebow.

D_Broncs_913
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Miller, Irving, and Williams would be awesome!

LarryDean
02-13-2012, 01:50 PM
This is good news we can kinda read into both the drafting strategy,free agency...I still wonder about the depth of the position outside of Woodyard and still would like to see the Broncos add another pass rusher at the LB position .

VA BroncosFan
02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I miss Al Wilson.

:salute:

kishzilla
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Me either! Blaw

Well you guys probably don't like it because people aren't using it enough. If more people posted the news there, there would be more discussion.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a single place where all of the news about our favorite team could be in one place, and where we could have intelligent football discussions about actual information, and we could let General Discussions be the place for all of the speculative random stuff?

I know the idea gives me a warm fuzzy :D

Rarelyoffended
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Shawin who cares about the "hype" lets try out some young players. He didn't even have a offseason that might be a big reason he didn't see the field much. I rather see what a young player can do then bring in a over the hill free agent. You might think your being honest, but you are very pestimistic. You were always lobbying to bring in Hines wards....lol come on bro. This is a youth movement. I rather have Rod Smith on the sidelines coaching the WRs then Ward on the field. He is old over the hill and would waste money and cap space. Let the young kids play and if he can pan out we save a nice draft pick and can focus on DT, and Safety and CB.

theMileHighGuy
02-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm all for letting Mays walk and moving forward. Too many busted plays through the middle, usually because he went to the wrong gap, or missed an arm tackle poorly pursuing the ball. Anything but straight on Joe had trouble with, and we wont even get started on cover skills, which is getting more and more important for backers with passing teams being able to exploit the middle of the field. I like Irving and his upside, and he picked the right number to succeed at the position :salute:

We cannot go into camp with him as the only serious contending starter though. MLB is too important of a position to not have a great player in there. Are there really any decent mlbs entering FA? I'd like to go that route so we can focus on other positions in the draft.

nickmeyer
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I like Irving and his upside, and he picked the right number to succeed at the position :salute:

We cannot go into camp with him as the only serious contending starter though. MLB is too important of a position to not have a great player in there. Are there really any decent mlbs entering FA?

My guess is we let Mays walk and push to sign Dan Connor from Carolina, he is young talented and will push Irving, I also doubt he will resign with Carolina because he is almost guaranteed to be a back up agian behind Beason.

the0rangecrush
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
If this is true I like the FOs old school approach to developing young players. Let them sit and learn, and play them when they are ready. Irving, JT, Moore, and Beal are all being giving time. IMO this is the best approach to developing an organization.

nickmeyer
02-15-2012, 05:57 AM
If this is true I like the FOs old school approach to developing young players. Let them sit and learn, and play them when they are ready. Irving, JT, Moore, and Beal are all being giving time. IMO this is the best approach to developing an organization.

Agreed tired of old washed up free agents.