PDA

View Full Version : Broncos signed G C.J. Davis

JayJack
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Broncos signed G C.J. Davis, formerly of the Panthers.
Davis, at 6-foot-2 and 308 pounds, is a former undrafted free agent out of Pitt. The 25-year-old has zero career appearances and is likely just a camp body.

Feb 15 - 5:12 PM

~Scouting Report - Pitt coaches love Davis' toughness and versatility. He moved inside to center halfway through his senior season as an injury fill-in after starting 37 straight games at left guard. He did not skip a beat, even earning first team All-Big East accolades.

Positives: Stout wide-body inside. Versatile enough to handle all three interior spots. Nimble setting up for pass protection. Quick getting his hands up after the snap and can land his punch. Puts his man on the ground when run blocking. Calls blocking assignments, even before shifting to center. Can anchor and drive his man backward. Wins the leverage battle in short-yardage situations. Vocal leader on and off the field, coaches call him a hard worker at practice.

Negatives: His lack of height may make him a better center than guard. Not fleet-footed when getting ahead of screens. Ineffective cut blocker. Relies on his upper-body strength too much instead of moving his feet in pass protection. Does not always recognize late blitzers. Holds too long on assist blocks and can't recover to pick up defenders going to the quarterback. Must lock onto defenders in the open and sustain those blocks more consistently; linebackers can disengage from him too easily.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Seems like a good prospect,hopefully he turns out good and make the team like Chris Harris did.

I'm looking forward to seeing him once camp opens up.

We need more diamond in the roughs ;)

Kansas Bob
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Carolina actually had him listed as backup center on one depth chart that I saw. I keep hearing people complaining about our center who knows???

HUMCALC
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a solid signing

BalgowlahBronco
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Sorry if there's a thread on this - I didnt see one ..

The Denver Broncos have signed third-year free agent guard C.J. Davis, who will reunite with coach John Fox.

Davis played for Fox in Carolina in 2010, when he appeared in seven games after spending the previous season on injured reserve.

The Panthers signed Davis as a college free agent in 2009 after he started 43 games at the University of Pittsburgh and was named All-Big East his senior season.

Anyone know this guy? Any good? Thoughts?

:logo:

BroncoooJohnson
02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Can at least be a good camp body, and can probably compete with Hochstein for the 3rd guard spot. When people question these signings, it makes no sense.

Crazy8
02-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Competition is good. Even if he is just a camp body, good for him. It's still an opportunity. Hopefully that opportunity will be good for us too.

Freyaka
02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Can at least be a good camp body, and can probably compete with Hochstein for the 3rd guard spot. When people question these signings, it makes no sense.

People just like finding reasons to get bent out of shape honestly.

bjoli198
02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
from what i can see, he only played 7 games with 0 starts for carolina http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.davis/71273/profile