PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] Wilson Chandler News

12and4
03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
The latest news on chandler is that he didn't sign an offer sheet with any teams, so he has no choice but to sign with the nuggets or sit out the whole year.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/03/wilson_chandler_offer_sheet_nuggets.php

​A couple of weeks ago, it seemed all but certain that Wilson Chandler would return to the Nuggets after getting out of his commitment to play in China. But the negotiations stalled amid reports that Chandler might go to Italy if he and Denver couldn't work out a deal. And while those options remain, he definitely can't suit up for another NBA team, since the deadline for him to sign an offer sheet with one of them has passed.
Even before Chandler's arrival in Denver as part of the Carmelo Anthony trade, there's been doubt about his interest in the Nuggets. In January 2011, for instance, the New York Post's Frank Isola reported that Chandler was "leaning toward" hiring Happy Walters, the agent who represented Knicks star Amare Stoudemire. One reason? A source told Isola, "He's really worried that he's going to get traded. He doesn't want to leave New York. And he doesn't want to be in Denver."

Chandler did hire Walters, although the pair subsequently parted company; he later reconnected with his previous rep, Chris Luchey. Nonetheless, Chandler has never seemed particularly happy as a Nugget, even during the squad's run during the waning months of last season, to which he was an important contributor. This point is underscored by his decision to ink with a Chinese team. Fellow Nuggets J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin did likewise, but it was clear they wouldn't be returning to the Nuggets for reasons of attitude and injury history, respectively. In contrast, Chandler was wanted, but he put a continent between him and Denver anyhow.

Now, Chandler's options are to sign an offer sheet with the Nuggets and play at altitude for the rest of this season and all of the next before becoming an unrestricted free agent in July 2013, sign with an overseas team, or opt to sit out.

We're about to find out how much Chandler does, or doesn't, like Denver. Look below for more details about the situation, as reported earlier this week by our Kyle Garratt.

February 29 post by Kyle Garratt: A week after it looked like restricted free agent forward Wilson Chandler would surely sign a contract with the Nuggets, doubt is creeping in. It comes in the form of an Italian team and a lack of progress in contract negotiations. Wilson has yet to work out a deal with the Nuggets and global basketball web site Sportando reported on Twitter Monday that Chandler is in "serious talks" to play with an Italian team for the rest of the season.

That same website also reported on Twitter early this morning that the Italian team in question, Olimpia Milano, has no interest in signing Chandler -- so it could be nothing more than a negotiating ploy.

Chandler spent the evening of February 20 in a suite with Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri and both sides talked optimistically about getting a deal done. Chandler then went to flirt with the Toronto Raptors last week and waited for his letter of clearance from the Chinese Basketball Association, where he played during the lockout.

Chandler received his letter of clearance yesterday, according to Chandler's agent, Chris Luchey. This means Chandler is free to play in the NBA. Now all he needs to do is decide if he wants to do that, and for which team.

Chandler has until tomorrow to sign an offer sheet with another NBA team, which the Nuggets could match. After tomorrow, the Nuggets are the only NBA team Chandler can sign with and play for this season.

Luchey has said Chandler won't sign a one-year deal with the Nuggets and the team has said it has no interest in bringing him on just for the rest of the season. Chandler might want a deal just for the rest of the season because it would allow him to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. The Nuggets won't do this because they would then risk losing him and receiving nothing in return. And as a restricted free agent, Chandler has less control in this negotiation than the Nuggets do.

Chandler is looking for a long-term deal, as the Nuggets appear to be, but if the sides can't agree on terms, Chandler could sit out the rest of the year or head to Italy, then test restricted free agency again next season.

Toronto is the only other team Chandler reportedly visited, but Luchey said six other teams have interest. The Indiana Pacers and the Cleveland Cavaliers have been tossed around on the Internets, but the Nuggets will be able to offer him more money than any other team.

The Nuggets are likely weary of spending too much money on someone who will essentially be backing up Danilo Gallinari, who they just handed a four-year, $42 million extension. Chandler, who came to the Nuggets last year in the Carmelo Anthony deal, has averaged just under fourteen points and five rebounds for his career and could certainly start for several teams.

The best case scenario for the Nuggets is that tomorrow passes without another squad extending an offer, at which point the team would still have Chandler under contract even without signing him to a long-term deal. The Nuggets could then try to work out a long-term contract or a trade to get something of value in return for the small forward, even if he chooses to sit out the season or flee to Italy.

The Experience
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
He'll be back....

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not so sure.

Right now here is what I think is going on.

The Nuggets are low balling him some he and his agent thinks. Thus the reason he hasn't signed yet. The Nuggets are doing this, because they can, and think he'll sign because he wants money now because he has no income. Him and his agent are debating hitting the market to try to get more and whether it's worth it to sit out this season, and get no income.

I think the Nuggets are at fault right now. BUT this is just MY GUESS, and may be not true at all.

The Experience
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm not so sure.

Right now here is what I think is going on.

The Nuggets are low balling him some he and his agent thinks. Thus the reason he hasn't signed yet. The Nuggets are doing this, because they can, and think he'll sign because he wants money now because he has no income. Him and his agent are debating hitting the market to try to get more and whether it's worth it to sit out this season, and get no income.

I think the Nuggets are at fault right now. BUT this is just MY GUESS, and may be not true at all.
probably right.

This is what can happen if the player has NO leverage.

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
probably right.

This is what can happen if the player has NO leverage.

Yup. Just have to hope it doesn't damage the relationship or anything.

I trust this FO though so, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Experience
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Yup. Just have to hope it doesn't damage the relationship or anything.

I trust this FO though so, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think eventually the 2 sides will agree to a deal. Masai knows exactly what he is doing though.

If they can't agree and WC sits out or goes to Italy he will still be an RFA, so they can still match any offer or re-sign him to an extension or do an S&T.

Nothing is for sure in this, but one thing that is, is that Denver will not loose WC for nothing.

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I think eventually the 2 sides will agree to a deal. Masai knows exactly what he is doing though.

If they can't agree and WC sits out or goes to Italy he will still be an RFA, so they can still match any offer or re-sign him to an extension or do an S&T.

Nothing is for sure in this, but one thing that is, is that Denver will not loose WC for nothing.

Yeah. We need him terribly right now though, we might just have to pay a little more.

He's worth it. Ton of upside too.

ParkHill-71
03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I heard rumblings last week that the he was leaning toward sitting the season out just to become a free agent. Man, I sure hope thats not what he wants to do!

The Experience
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I heard rumblings last week that the he was leaning toward sitting the season out just to become a free agent. Man, I sure hope thats not what he wants to do!

If he sits out he is still RFA.

The Experience
03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah. We need him terribly right now though, we might just have to pay a little more.

He's worth it. Ton of upside too.

I agree, we really lack players who can create their own shot. We also lack mid range shooting. Chandler does both very well.

ParkHill-71
03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
If he sits out he is still RFA.

I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out or hold out this year and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree, we really lack players who can create their own shot. We also lack mid range shooting. Chandler does both very well.

We have the room to pay him the extra money too.

Right now we have a few contracts to worry about, and we have the money to do it.

Chandler. Lawson. Timofey.

Gallo/AAA/Nene already all locked up.

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!

We'd have to be REALLY low balling him, for him to sit out another year if that's what you mean.

ParkHill-71
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
We'd have to be REALLY low balling him, for him to sit out another year if that's what you mean.

Or course thats what I mean.

The problem is they just paid Galo $42 mil and he (per the source that leaked to the article or tweet, sorry I forgot where I read that) said that he didnt want to come and be a back up, essentually to Galo and not get the contract he wanted.

I dont know how true any of that is, but I could see that as a possibilty for him sitting out just for the right to be a FA next year!

The Experience
03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I understand that. The point is the Nuggets have already said they will match any offer he gets. So if no team offers him anything and the Nuggets dont offer him the contract he wants, he can sit out or hold out this year and become an unrestricted FA next year, which means we lose!
The only way he can be a UFA next year is he has to accept a qualifying offer this offseason. If he sits out he will just remain a RFA.

ParkHill-71
03-02-2012, 08:09 PM
The only way he can be a UFA next year is he has to accept a qualifying offer this offseason. If he sits out he will just remain a RFA.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was wrong about him being a UNFA next year.
Still, there has to be a concern, because he could go back to international play correct if the Nuggs dont offer him a long term deal?

Broncoholic3233
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was wrong about him being a UNFA next year.
Still, there has to be a concern, because he could go back to international play correct if the Nuggs dont offer him a long term deal?

He could but that's really doubtful.

Lots less money. Also, he didn't even want to play his teams playoffs there.

ParkHill-71
03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
He could but that's really doubtful.

Lots less money. Also, he didn't even want to play his teams playoffs there.

hmmm.....lets just hope they get him signed. If we lose him....... he was a big part of that Melo trade and well, that would just suck, because I like his heart!

nic.zeman24
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Here is some semi good news

Denver, CO, United States (AHN Sports) Ė The Denver Nuggets are negotiating with forward Wilson Chandler on a multi-year contract, a source close to situation reported Saturday.
Chandler, who inked a one-season deal to play in the Chinese Basketball League, decided not to sign with another team as the free-agency period expired Thursday.
With his decision, Chandler can demand for a long-term contract with the Nuggets or play the remainder of the season and become a free-agent this summer.
After playing his first two and half seasons with the New York Knicks, Chandler was included in the package sent to the Nuggets in a package for superstar Carmelo Anthony. He averaged 13.9 points and 5.2 boards in his first four years in the NBA.

The Experience
03-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Here is some semi good news

Well this puts to bed any rumors that he doesn't wanna be here (which were total BS to begin with)

If he didn't want to be here, he wouldn't negotiate with us.

12and4
03-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I wanna see him in a nuggets jersey already. We need him so bad right now. Not really but we'd be so dominant with him.

The Experience
03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I wanna see him in a nuggets jersey already. We need him so bad right now. Not really but we'd be so dominant with him.

I'm with you, I think it's just a matter of time.

Broncoholic3233
03-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Q: A lot of people probably ask you about Wilson Chandler. Is there any update on his status?

A: He was here (in Denver) and it was great to see him. I think he had a very good experience in China. It wasnít the NBA, but I think he has a greater appreciation now of what our league is.
Weíre still in active talks. I donít know whatís going to wind up happening. We definitely want Wilson on our team. Itís tough because itís such a unique situation trying to add a young veteran player to a new contract in the middle of a season. There are so many factors that go into a decision like that. Weíre working hard on trying to add him.

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/features/kroenke_qa_03_09_2012.html

The Experience
03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Wilson Chandler's agent sent out an ominous tweet late Saturday night, saying "Finally made it to Denver...4 Seasons in our future," while including Chandler's Twitter handle and a picture of them traveling in the back of a car.This is great. Either they're really fired up about the '4 Seasons' or they're alluding to Chandler's potential contract. Let's be straight, though, this is wonky Twitter speculation at its core, and the agent could be trying to build local enthusiasm. But if you were looking for a sign that it's time to pick up Chandler, it doesn't get much more off the wall. Mar 11 - 4:32 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1403/wilson-chandler

The Experience
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Uh oh
http://www.hoopsworld.com/wilson-chandler-sets-deadline-for-nuggets

Broncoholic3233
03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
He's at the game tonight.

The Experience
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Uh oh
http://www.hoopsworld.com/wilson-chandler-sets-deadline-for-nuggets

He's at the game tonight.

Hope we get it done. My guess is Masai will cave and give him the money he wants.

Orange Pants
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Seems like good news to me, he might be back by Tuesday's game.

Broncoholic3233
03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Gut feeling for me.....he isn't a Nugget this year at least.

But, hopefully my gut is wrong.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Chris Broussard:

The Nuggets continue to negotiate with Wilson Chandler and if the sides donít reach an agreement within the next week or so, Chandlerís agent Chris Luchey says his client will finish the season in Italy. Chandler is looking for a deal starting around $7 million a year, but the Nuggets feel like paying him $7 million, which would not be prorated, for this season is way too high. They would rather start him at $5 million.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Just going up now online at ESPN: Sources say Nuggets close to long-term deal with restricted free agent Wilson Chandler

Trading Nene to Washington earlier Thursday helped give Nuggets financial flexibility to offer Chandler long-term deal he's been seeking

Marc Stein

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Just going up now online at ESPN: Sources say Nuggets close to long-term deal with restricted free agent Wilson Chandler

Trading Nene to Washington earlier Thursday helped give Nuggets financial flexibility to offer Chandler long-term deal he's been seeking

Marc Stein

Yes!

This is like adding another huge piece from the deadline.

Stein is like the Schefter of the NBA so I feel great about this!

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7692628/sources-denver-nuggets-closing-long-term-deal-wilson-chandler

The Denver Nuggets are closing in on a long-term deal with restricted free agent Wilson Chandler, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

Sources said the deal could be completed as early as Friday.

"It's very, very close," one source said.

Final parameters are still being discussed, sources said, but one scenario on the table is a five-year deal worth in excess of $30 million with a team option in the fifth year.

After trading away veteran center Nene earlier in the day, Denver had more financial flexibility to offer the long-term deal Chandler has been seeking since returning from a stint in China earlier this month.

Denver signed Nene to a five-year deal worth nearly $70 million in free agency in December but quietly decided to start seeking trades for the oft-injured center in recent weeks to ensure that it would have the down-the-road flexibility to bring back Chandler and retain prized point guard Ty Lawson when Lawson is eligible for an extension.

The unpredictable but talented JaVale McGee has replaced Nene as Denver's center, although it's clear that the sudden success of the unheralded Kenneth Faried also gave the Nuggets sufficient comfort to part with Nene.

When March 1 passed without Chandler receiving an offer sheet from another team, his only options for this season were to re-sign with the Nuggets or sit out the rest of the season and become a restricted free agent again in July.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7692628/sources-denver-nuggets-closing-long-term-deal-wilson-chandler

If those contract numbers are correct, that is a hell of a deal...

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM

Exactly. Not sure what the hold up has been then.....that's not bad at all.

Orange Pants
03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Long term AND a team option. Get it done!

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
If not the Lakers I would like the nuggets to win the championship to break this fad of superstars all teaming up.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Exactly. Not sure what the hold up has been then.....that's not bad at all.

Maybe Chandler wants to start?

I dont know, pure speculation.

Or maybe WC finally caved...

Ryan_Nys
03-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Masai Ujiri for president! Geez this man is incredible. Feels like I can finally trust a front office to do what's best for the team

Cyrend
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I heard if we get Chandler we may start him? Would that mean we have him at the 3 and Gallo at the 4?

The Experience
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I heard if we get Chandler we may start him? Would that mean we have him at the 3 and Gallo at the 4?

reverse that....

Cyrend
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
reverse that....

How so? Hasnt Karl already been playing Gallo at the 4 a lot this year? Idk how I feel about Chandler at the 4...

The Experience
03-15-2012, 04:51 PM
How so? Hasnt Karl already been playing Gallo at the 4 a lot this year? Idk how I feel about Chandler at the 4...

Up until the trade last year, Chandler started at the 4 for the Knicks.

Cyrend
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Interesting....I guess well see how it plays out. Is love to have WC back.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Interesting....I guess well see how it plays out. Is love to have WC back.

Looks like it's all but done. Shouldn't be much longer.

ParkHill-71
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Thats awesome. Thanks Experience, I came to the boards today specifically looking for some

DUB C news....:salute:

The Experience
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Aaron Lopez reports Chandler is eyeing a sunday return to the Nuggets.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Hopefully.

And not just signing, hopefully he's playing.

Get that contract signed tomorrow. We need him.