• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kishzilla
    All-Pro
    • Jan 2009

Peyton Manning nearing decision, is impressed with Broncos, sources say

A little bit of different info than what else I've read in regards to how Peyton was wanting these meetings to be conducted, how money was secondary to the other aspects of the franchises etc.

The Denver Post talked to multiple NFL sources Sunday, and here's what is known:

• Neither Denver or Arizona officials discussed contract during Manning's visit, on Peyton's orders.....

...Manning didn't want to bring his agent because he was more interested in other aspects of the organization. He wanted to become familiar with the people he would playing for. And the team's facility.

• Manning was impressed with the Broncos. He liked front-office boss and star quarterback colleague John Elway. He liked coach John Fox. He talked 20-30 minutes with owner Pat Bowlen, who reiterated his position that division titles don't cut it with him. He wants Super Bowls.

• Manning's only two official visits have been Denver and Arizona, but the Miami Dolphins are still hoping to get their audience. Owner Stephen Ross is "ready to make a major offer," according to a source, but again, Manning is not basing his decision on money alone. The Broncos will be competitive with any offer he gets. The NFL announced Sunday that the salary cap for 2012 will be $120.6 million. It was $120.375 million last season. The Broncos have more cap room than Miami and Arizona.

• The Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawks are out. Each team tried to get Manning to visit. He declined.

• The Cardinals took more of red-carpet approach to Manning's visit Saturday night and Sunday. The Broncos took a more laid-back approach. After a nearly a six-hour visit at the team's headquarters Friday, Elway, Fox, and Manning went out for about a 2 ½ hour dinner at Cherry Hills Country Club.

Former Broncos' John Lynch and Brandon Stokley, who was also a former teammate with Manning in Indianapolis, also stopped by, as did the team's director of personnel Matt Russell.

• Manning hopes to make his decision by Tuesday, or Wednesday. The free-agent market opens at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

Read more: Peyton Manning nearing decision, is impressed with Broncos, sources say - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz1osOBcb66
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
    Lookin' good!

If you want Manning to come here that is lol
    sigpic
  • D_Broncs_913
    Bench Warmer
    • Feb 2007

Peyton Manning, come on down!

Free Agency cannot get here fast enough!!

Comment

• InElwayWeTrust
      All-Pro
      • Mar 2010

I love the way Elway and Bowlen handled it compared to Arizona. Obviously I have no idea what Mannigs opinion is but if it was me I would prefer that approach. Just buds hangin out talking football, and having some drinks later on. Make Manning feel like he's already family!

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
        Special Teams
        • Jul 2011

I think us having alot more cap space is what is gonna be the advantage. The cardinals will have to cut people in order to sign manning since they are 16 mill over the limit. The dolphins will either have to do the same or they can only sign manning and thats pretty much it. The broncos have over 40. They can sign manning and add the pieces he would like and still have plenty left to load up the defense. plenty think the cap space is what should make him choose us over the other two teams.

Comment

• kishzilla
          All-Pro
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
          I think us having alot more cap space is what is gonna be the advantage. The cardinals will have to cut people in order to sign manning since they are 16 mill over the limit. The dolphins will either have to do the same or they can only sign manning and thats pretty much it. The broncos have over 40. They can sign manning and add the pieces he would like and still have plenty left to load up the defense. plenty think the cap space is what should make him choose us over the other two teams.
          Exactly

Keep in mind that Reggie Wayne said he wanted to play with Peyton wherever he goes, and Dallas Clark was released. That's two spots already where there's a need, and two of his favorite targets.

It's like it was meant to be
          sigpic

Comment

• muse
            Fired User
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
            Exactly

Keep in mind that Reggie Wayne said he wanted to play with Peyton wherever he goes, and Dallas Clark was released. That's two spots already where there's a need, and two of his favorite targets.

Although with Fitz, Wayne would be more an afterthought for the Cards.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

• roushmartin6
              Football Immortal
              • May 2007

Originally posted by muse View Post
              Although with Fitz, Wayne would be more an afterthought for the Cards.
              Yea but a guy like Reggie Wayne can really help install the offense faster. Kind of like when we had Jabar Gaffney installing McDaniel's "scheme"
              sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

• BroncoBrifromLI
                Practice Squad
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                Exactly

Yeah, great! We'll b the Denver Colts.:brick:

Comment

• nickmeyer
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by BroncoBrifromLI View Post
                  3 or 4 former Colts doesn't make an entire team of 53 the Denver Colts
                  sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

• flosstein
                    Ring of Famer
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
                    3-4 Browns made us the Browncos, lol!
                    #swapping

Comment

• one5beast
                      Starter
                      • Mar 2010

I guess your right! Elway was a colt too.

Comment

• Broncbeat
                        Nowhere Man
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
                        Originally posted by one5beast View Post
                        I guess your right! Elway was a colt too.
                        You know Colts do grow up to be Bronco's.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Broncoyearound
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jun 2009

I don't like it...not one bit getting manning isn't the problem but I think it creates unwanted drama. Meaning I think I'm seeing Cutler stuff and if you are a player could you really trust efx?????? Lies lies lies and no I'm no Tebow homer I am a bronco I just....this is smelling bad is all I'm saying. If we sign Manning and there is no fall out cool I just don't want a circus surrounding the team and there will be one I'm almost sure of it.
                          :go:

Comment

• NewEnglandBronc
                            Practice Squad
                            • Feb 2012

Were going from a young team to the Denver Grandpas.

Manning needs to make sure his aging ex-teammates get paid too. Bowlen is going to be taken to the cleaner for an old injured qb who will probably last 2 games.

Comment

• Kazmo
                              Practice Squad
                              • Feb 2009

No, we would be the Denver Broncolts. Hey, if our team was good when we signed the entire Browns D-line (Browncos) Imagine how good we would be with the entire Colts offense!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X