PDA

View Full Version : Broncos not expected to be big players in free agency

VietnamBob2473
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Saw on NFLN that the Broncos are expected to feel the market out and wont be looking to make any big moves (other than the potential signing of Peyton Manning of course). With 50million in cap space, what are we waiting for?

JayJack
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Saw on NFLN that the Broncos are expected to feel the market out and wont be looking to make any big moves (other than the potential signing of Peyton Manning of course). With 50million in cap space, what are we waiting for?

Mike Wallace, maybe?

shawinkerpoppin
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I can see the reason in that. The players they are reportedly looking at are quality players and upgrades but wont command a big salary. Other than manning and possibly Wayne.

#87Birdman
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I thought I saw earlier we only have 38

All the Orange
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Bowlen's investments to mature.

VietnamBob2473
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Mike Wallace, maybe?

with the 25th pick, it wouldn't be a a lot to give up for a good, young receiver. However I don't see it going down. I keep hearing New England could be a likely spot for Mike Wallace.

CoryWinget81
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Well, we have to spend that money.

MaxBroncos said we'd be spenders in FA.

VietnamBob2473
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I thought I saw earlier we only have 38

NFLN reported we have nearly 50 million.

VietnamBob2473
03-13-2012, 12:23 PM

who says we have to spend? Per team minimum spending doesn't start until 2013

JayJack
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
By the way VietnamBob2473, we have 17 UFAs, i'm pretty sure we'll be active in Free Agency.

RockyMtnConvert
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
:cool:

Waiting for Vincent Jackson's arrival...... :cool:

SoundsOfSuccess
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Good. Free agency is not how to build a team. Get role players and veterans in free agency, or maybe a special player like Mario Williams or Peyton, but the Brandon Carrs and Jason Joneses always bite their teams wallet in the ass.

BroncoFanBoy
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
We obviously have the money to do it. I expect us to sign Manning, and probably re-sign Bunkley, but maybe not much more after that..

-Rod-
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41022/afc-west-notes-64

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Denver has the third-most salary-cap room entering free agency with $38 million.

Peyton Manning would take a big piece of this cap space. The Broncos also want to sign Brodrick Bunkley. Add the draft picks. And They probably want to keep a comfortable cap room for the future. Ryan Clady will become a free agent in 2013.

the0rangecrush
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Soliali and bunkley is a huge step forward if it happens, plus the Peyton possy if it happens

Buck_N_Broncs
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
I dont want us to be like the cowboys/redskins... But it would be nice to go after some key positions to fill up since we have so many holes. If we only ended up getting Brandon Carr and Jason Jones, i would be extremely happy. But we have to go after some talent. This is the biggest FA pool in some time.

Remedy
03-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Free-agent safety Brandon Meriweather plans to visit the Denver Broncos tonight.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I just heard Shefty say that Brandon Merriweather is visiting the Broncos, and Carr is visiting Dallas :(

LarryDean
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
If the Broncos do sign Manning you can expect they will also be bringing in one of the two Wayne,Garcon and Dallas Clark

JayJack
03-13-2012, 02:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/41022/afc-west-notes-64

Peyton Manning would take a big piece of this cap space. The Broncos also want to sign Brodrick Bunkley. Add the draft picks. And They probably want to keep a comfortable cap room for the future. Ryan Clady will become a free agent in 2013.

I wish I knew our official cap. I heard yesterday that we had the 2nd most cap space with about $45mil

sgriffeth78
03-13-2012, 03:21 PM
GOD this is so frustrating, watching all these teams make these moves. And for the 4th offseason in a row, Xanders is sitting there with his thumb up his ass. "we're going to br aggressive in fa" yeah we've heard that before. There's been reports of at least 5 fa's that we're interested in and have only one coming for a visit and waiting for the other to decide where he wants to go. Getting ready to lose Eddie Royal to the 'Skins and are we pursuing someone to replace him?? Nope...

Andyy_47
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Eagles last year show how free agency isn't the way to win a championship. I'd rather we built through the draft and retained the talent we have on the roster.

Kazmo
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
I wish I knew our official cap. I heard yesterday that we had the 2nd most cap space with about $45mil

Yeah I heard that 45 was the official number, Maybe 38m is with draft picks? I dunno.

broncolassiter
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Who we sign will depend on Manning. I'm sure we are waiting to see what happens with him. If Manning signs, then we will probably go after his receivers. If we stick with Tebow, then we get another RB and maybe a DT.

MHSalute
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
GOD this is so frustrating, watching all these teams make these moves. And for the 4th offseason in a row, Xanders is sitting there with his thumb up his ass. "we're going to br aggressive in fa" yeah we've heard that before. There's been reports of at least 5 fa's that we're interested in and have only one coming for a visit and waiting for the other to decide where he wants to go. Getting ready to lose Eddie Royal to the 'Skins and are we pursuing someone to replace him?? Nope...

Good grief, we have a couple free agent visits. Are we suppose to sign everyone?

Holger_Danske
03-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Why do we have to? There's no expectation or legislation to spend it this year.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-13-2012, 07:38 PM

QFT

Finally, someone gets it. I dont think its unreasonable to wonder why out of 32 teams, the team with the 3rd most cap room is doing diddly squat right now. Ive heard the addage "well you cant buy a championship, championships are built through the draft." Well thats true for teams with a few needs (ala Bengals), but we also arent a team about 2 pieces away from a championship. We're about 7 or 8. I was hoping we could at least wrap up 2 or 3 of them.

Yes i realize FA isnt over. But why is it too much to ask for a team that has plenty of money to grab a few guys the first day? As a fan im tired of watching FA as a launching point for other teams and something we view as a way to watch other teams load up.

Also, the whole "you cant buy a championship" doesnt work when we've not been able to build through the draft when all we get are busts.

So im sure ill get flamed, but ive been a fan since i have been 7 (im 32 now) and tired of mediocrity.

VietnamBob2473
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
hard to build through the draft when you have more holes than draft picks.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
hard to build through the draft when you have more holes than draft picks.

Thats exactly my point. Thats why i view the Bengals (who have 2nd most cap room) and Broncos (3rd most cap room) as different situations. The Bungals have a solid team and are missing a few pieces, and have more picks than us (two 1st rounders). So yeah, if i was a bengals fan i wouldnt worry.

shawinkerpoppin
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM

royal had 19 catches and is getting payed 6 mill. anyone we sign now has a high chance of being overpayed. i rather wait it out a bit and than severly overpay guys from the outside.

PAINTERDAVE
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Besides.. the way Manning is playing the game...
leveraging the teams..

they may need most of the cap to sign PM by the time it is said and done.

Again..

I base that off of hearing Alfred Williams today
saying that Manning will most likely want a contract of...

5 years at 100 million with 60 million guaranteed.

ParkHill-71
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
royal had 19 catches and is getting payed 6 mill. anyone we sign now has a high chance of being overpayed. i rather wait it out a bit and than severly overpay guys from the outside.

I understand the point your making. Imop Eddie Royal is not being paid off of what he did last year. Obviously these teams feel like he is valuable and can offer their team something, just as he could have offered our team something if he was ever utilized correctly.

They see something in him and thats apparent! Probably the fact that you had a prior head coach who did not gameplan for him, and two QB's who didnt feel the need to throw to him.

Throw in an injury or two, and yes it looks like this guy cant play. Im telling you and everyone, this guy is going to show his ass next year, providing he has a ball distributor.

one5beast
03-13-2012, 08:51 PM

I honestly don't mind not getting all these big name FAs. Look at the Eagles last year. Redskins every year.

xGIHavoc
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
leveraging the teams..

Again..

Wha? That's more than his previous contract with the Colts after coming off a serious injury. I HIGHLY doubt it.

ERoyal248
03-13-2012, 08:55 PM
leveraging the teams..

Again..

I'd bet almost anything it's not remotely close to that.

Sticking with 10-16 mil per year at most.

iggyb
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
leveraging the teams..

Again..

If Alfred is accurate (which I doubt), I would give a big thumbs down to a contract like that for PM.

Yes, he's a HoF QB. Who is turning 36 in a week. Who had 2-4 neck surgeries (depending on who you believe). Who missed all of last season.

that kind of cash for a QB in his twilight years is ridiculous.

But again, I doubt Alfred is accurate on that.