PDA

View Full Version : Broncos interested in John Abraham

ERoyal248
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora

TEN and DEN have interest in pass rusher John Abraham. Manning decision and M Williams delay has caused a lag for him.

I'd be down with that.

JakeNbake
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
It would make a ton of sense.

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
before yall talk about how old he is the man is coming off a 9.5 sack season with 4 forced fumbles. better than ayers.

Kazmo
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
This offseason is getting worse and worse.

ERoyal248
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
before yall talk about how old he is the man is coming off a 9.5 sack season with 4 forced fumbles. better than ayers.

Yeah, he's still a productive player, would be a solid signing.

ERoyal248
03-15-2012, 11:55 AM
This offseason is getting worse and worse.

Yeah, signing a player with the 2nd or 3rd active in sacks in the NFL would be terrible, yup...

Kazmo
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, signing a player with the 2nd or 3rd active in sacks in the NFL would be terrible, yup...

He will be 34 this season. The other players we have gone after? 31 year old CB, 31 year old S, and a 36 year old QB. We have the 2nd most cap room and we were a LUCKY 8-8 team and we are spending money like we are against the cap and a championship team.

redneckrocker
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Seems like Den. is focused on D-fense still, what about our offensive needs. Maybe they're banking on Manning to bring some FA with him. Broncos are as confusing as ever!!

PhoenixDread
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Be careful of the die-hard Ayers fans and their breakout season predictions. They'll talk about how old Abraham is while forgetting we have an old injured Ty Warren. I'm a fan of Abraham and I hope we can get him

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
He will be 34 this season. The other players we have gone after? 31 year old CB, 31 year old S, and a 36 year old QB. We have the 2nd most cap room and we were a LUCKY 8-8 team and we are spending money like we are against the cap and a championship team.

if he didnt have overall consistent production in his career or had an obvious decline i would be there with you. but the guy is maintaining a quality level of play. and off the top of my head i cant think of a better DE that is a free agent.

Kazmo
03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Be careful of the die-hard Ayers fans and their breakout season predictions. They'll talk about how old Abraham is while forgetting we have an old injured Ty Warren. I'm a fan of Abraham and I hope we can get him

Yeah, Let's sign another old D-lineman because Warren worked out so great for us. Abraham is a rotational DE who is probably going to command more money than he is worth.

Kazmo
03-15-2012, 12:08 PM
if he didnt have overall consistent production in his career or had an obvious decline i would be there with you. but the guy is maintaining a quality level of play. and off the top of my head i cant think of a better DE that is a free agent.

Except he wasn't all that good last year. He had 3.5 sacks against Jax and 2 against the Bears. Both of those teams have horrible O-lines. He managed a total of 4 sacks in the rest of the 14 games he played against better opponents.

LSIGRAD09
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Please make it so.

PhoenixDread
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Except he wasn't all that good last year. He had 3.5 sacks against Jax and 2 against the Bears. Both of those teams have horrible O-lines. He managed a total of 4 sacks in the rest of the 14 games he played against better opponents.

Doesn't matter. Production is production. Better to have someone that gets sacks in small bunches than one who gets a sack only during an eclipse

PhoenixDread
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah, Let's sign another old D-lineman because Warren worked out so great for us. Abraham is a rotational DE who is probably going to command more money than he is worth.

Ask the Pats how well did Andre Carter work out for them

A rotational pass rusher would do wonders for our defense. Did you not watch the superbowl?

kmcgough25
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

The reason the Falcons let him go is because he wants big money and could only play 30% of the defensive plays last year.

They feel his body is aging and is prone to injury

broncolee
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Anything that helps the pass rush.

I wonder if they would be able to go to the NASCAR grouping if they brought in Abraham.

Project KSL
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
He'll be a good addition. Certainly not Mario, but he won't be paid like Mario either. John Abraham is a player the Patriots would go for, and personally. I like that.

D_Broncs_913
03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd like this signing. You can never have enough linemen.

I like how people are complaining about our offseason...it's been one day lol.

BroncoooJohnson
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Let's sign LT. He's the leader in TDs and rushing yards. How about TO. He's the leader in receiving yards.

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
He'll be a good addition. Certainly not Mario, but he won't be paid like Mario either. John Abraham is a player the Patriots would go for, and personally. I like that.

this made me have a McD flash back. :(

johnlimburg
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Cut Ty Warren and/or Kevin Vickerson and give John Abraham there money for the next two or three seasons.

fairweatherh8r
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Cut Ty Warren and/or Kevin Vickerson and give John Abraham there money for the next two or three seasons.Agreed! Make it happen EFX, please!!!!!!!!!!

broncos SB2010
03-15-2012, 04:30 PM

maybe he is a rotational DE. So what? Who would you rather have, Abraham, Derrick Harvey or Jason hunter? A DE trio of Ayers, Abraham, and DOOM looks very nice to me.

dukes88
03-15-2012, 05:03 PM

This is exactly what we lacked last year was a rotational DE that could help pressure the QB - we got torn apart when Doom and Miller couldn't create pressure. Adding a DE for passing plays and moving Ayers/Doom and Miller around is how we instantly make our D better... imo.

SoundsOfSuccess
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Get him. Pass rush >>>>> everything.

badaxe
03-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes. Get him. Fits the scheme. Hit the QB. Force turnovers. Score some points on defense.

japfaff
03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
would not like this move unless it is a 1 year deal....Tired of going after old men and waiting on them to break down. Such a waste paying for what he did in 05-10 and not what he is going to do in 12-13

broncos SB2010
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
would not like this move unless it is a 1 year deal....Tired of going after old men and waiting on them to break down. Such a waste paying for what he did in 05-10 and not what he is going to do in 12-13

I think that depends on their plans for him and the price. Don't you think he would be a huge upgrade over Hunter and harvey? If they plan to use him as a rotational player and not an every down starter, don't you think that would be a good signing?

japfaff
03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I think that depends on their plans for him and the price. Don't you think he would be a huge upgrade over Hunter and harvey? If they plan to use him as a rotational player and not an every down starter, don't you think that would be a good signing?

Possably, but at that age you just cant count on anything. Personally I would prefer they throw the hat into players that could be here to turn this thing around and not for 2 years then be done when we are hitting our stride

#24 Next Champ
03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Possably, but at that age you just cant count on anything. Personally I would prefer they throw the hat into players that could be here to turn this thing around and not for 2 years then be done when we are hitting our stride

Here's what I wanna know

Who would you sign Japaff ?

ChampPik4Six
03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I feel that he would be great even as a rotational guy. I do feel however the only way we get him is if we get manning for the superbowl push.

beastlyskronk
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
maybe he is a rotational DE. So what? Who would you rather have, Abraham, Derrick Harvey or Jason hunter? A DE trio of Ayers, Abraham, and DOOM looks very nice to me.

I'd rather draft a developmental guy in the 3rd or 4th round than take Abraham. If there is any old DE I would take it would be Andre Carter just because he still looks like he can dominate. That man is ripped

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd rather draft a developmental guy in the 3rd or 4th round than take Abraham. If there is any old DE I would take it would be Andre Carter just because he still looks like he can dominate. That man is ripped

thats the thing. you said it without reaizing it. play the old develop the young. a developmental guy is not gonna do the team well imediatly but could in the future. the vet is only good for now and maybe a couple more years. abraham is a solid stop gap at DE. i bet we draft a DE to develop behind him. just like we signed a vet mike adams with moore and carter developing behind him and possibly trufant with harris and whoever else we draft developing behind him. its all a part of the plan.

beastlyskronk
03-15-2012, 10:03 PM
thats the thing. you said it without reaizing it. play the old develop the young. a developmental guy is not gonna do the team well imediatly but could in the future. the vet is only good for now and maybe a couple more years. abraham is a solid stop gap at DE. i bet we draft a DE to develop behind him. just like we signed a vet mike adams with moore and carter developing behind him and possibly trufant with harris and whoever else we draft developing behind him. its all a part of the plan.

That DE can develop perfectly fine in a rotational role behind Dumervil. Abraham can not be put at LE, he will get abused there. No sense in giving him as much money as he wants to only play a situational role.

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
That DE can develop perfectly fine in a rotational role behind Dumervil. Abraham can not be put at LE, he will get abused there. No sense in giving him as much money as he wants to only play a situational role.

abraham as a pass rusher is better than anyone not named vondoom. thats the truth. im not sure who else is left that is better that we can sign on a short term basis. ayers cannot be the fulltime starter at DE going into next season. we are giving ty warren 5 mill and other non contributers a few mill here and there lets invest in someone that will actually contribute.

beastlyskronk
03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
abraham as a pass rusher is better than anyone not named vondoom. thats the truth. im not sure who else is left that is better that we can sign on a short term basis. ayers cannot be the fulltime starter at DE going into next season. we are giving ty warren 5 mill and other non contributers a few mill here and there lets invest in someone that will actually contribute.

And Abraham against the run is worse than everybody on the team. And he really isn't even a great pass rusher anymore. We have a better chance of Ayers getting 9.5 sacks next year than Abraham. I watched him all last year because I'm in the Atlanta area, he had 2 good games all year. His career is about over, next year will prove it

japfaff
03-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Here's what I wanna know

Who would you sign Japaff ?

Well first off I wouldnt waste much time with the DE population. I would wait until week 2 or 3. My biggest priorities would be up the middle... Antonio Garary, Curtis Lofton (my #1 pick....Would be perfect in the middle for us), Tom Zbikowski (Love his versatility), Medieu Williams, and Brandon Carr...Those would be the guys I make my play for.......Once I got them off the board I would then look to DE for depth. Then I take a 35+ DE on the last run. But you dont get it and think it is the crown jewel of your FA

BroncoSexyDaddy
03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Well first off I wouldnt waste much time with the DE population. I would wait until week 2 or 3. My biggest priorities would be up the middle... Antonio Garary, Curtis Lofton (my #1 pick....Would be perfect in the middle for us), Tom Zbikowski (Love his versatility), Medieu Williams, and Brandon Carr...Those would be the guys I make my play for.......Once I got them off the board I would then look to DE for depth. Then I take a 35+ DE on the last run. But you dont get it and think it is the crown jewel of your FAI agree Garay would be a good pickup if we could sign him.I'm hoping he gets called in for a visit at this point.

BroncoSexyDaddy
03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Here's what I wanna know

Who would you sign BroncoSexyDaddy?I would sign Garay,McLain,John Abraham,Dallas Clark,Jeff Saturday,and Peyton Manning.Then i would roll the dice in the draft.

I would also draft Coby Fleener TE if i could to pair him up with Dallas Clark.

Hoserman117
03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Eh I dunno, at this age he's destined for a drop off the face of the earth season, I'm worried this one will be it.

#24 Next Champ
03-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Well first off I wouldnt waste much time with the DE population. I would wait until week 2 or 3. My biggest priorities would be up the middle... Antonio Garary, Curtis Lofton (my #1 pick....Would be perfect in the middle for us), Tom Zbikowski (Love his versatility), Medieu Williams, and Brandon Carr...Those would be the guys I make my play for.......Once I got them off the board I would then look to DE for depth. Then I take a 35+ DE on the last run. But you dont get it and think it is the crown jewel of your FA

Although I like Garay and Zbikowski (love Carr but he's gone) I don't like Lofton (he's a better Joe Mays) I'd honestly prefer to McClain to him (cheaper, more athletic, more upside, both are young)

But not bad

#24 Next Champ
03-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I would sign Garay,McLain,John Abraham,Dallas Clark,Jeff Saturday,and Peyton Manning.Then i would roll the dice in the draft.

I would also draft Coby Fleener TE if i could to pair him up with Dallas Clark.

I still wanna see Julius Thomas ...I think Manning makes him a great talent

But LOVE this FA...WELL DONE

Although (and it won't happen but I'd heavily consider it depending on the price) I'd trade our first for Mike Wallace if we had Manning ...he's almost guarenteed better than anyone we'll draft there

That'd be a damn dream off-season

broncos SB2010
03-16-2012, 05:10 AM

Me too but there just aren't any guys like tghat this year at that position.

broncos SB2010
03-16-2012, 05:11 AM

why not do both???

broncos SB2010
03-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Do you nhave any idea of how much they will pay him?

japfaff
03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Although I like Garay and Zbikowski (love Carr but he's gone) I don't like Lofton (he's a better Joe Mays) I'd honestly prefer to McClain to him (cheaper, more athletic, more upside, both are young)

But not bad

Cheaper definitly.....But not as athletic with less upside and doesnt know the position. Lofton is one of the 2 or 3 best ILB in all of football (IMO only Willis is better). McClain isnt the player that Lofton is, but in fairness not many are

japfaff
03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Me too but there just aren't any guys like tghat this year at that position.

True...But DE isnt that big of a hole in comparison to DT,MLB or S. Why go early for an old guy that is going to cost a bunch when you can fix bigger holes and throw a rotational guy in the mix in a couple weeks. Doom, Miller and Ayers are a better combo then who we have at Dt.....Who do we have at DT?

ParkHill-71
03-16-2012, 08:22 AM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=209002

Caliraiderhater
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't understand why people think Abraham is washed up? Sure he is 33 but thats really not THAT old if your only looking to give a guy a 2 or 3 year contract. Its also not like he didn't produce last season he recorded 9.5 sacks. If he plays with a rotational role I would absolutely LOVE this signing.

Remember guys named Lynch & Dawkins...they were even hometown heros that teams let go because they thought they were getting old and would stop producing. Well news flash..they came here and together made a bunch of pro bowls! This would be a great value signing.

Whats the best thing you can do to help Von Doom...add another pass rusher for the offense to deal with.

Lets say Abraham isn't a 9+ sack guy anymore...lets say he is a 6-7 sack guy. That would still be great if you look at it as him playing in a situational role. Get it done EFX!

ParkHill-71
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't understand why people think Abraham is washed up? Sure he is 33 but thats really not THAT old if your only looking to give a guy a 2 or 3 year contract. Its also not like he didn't produce last season he recorded 9.5 sacks. If he plays with a rotational role I would absolutely LOVE this signing.

Remember guys named Lynch & Dawkins...they were even hometown heros that teams let go because they thought they were getting old and would stop producing. Well news flash..they came here and together made a bunch of pro bowls! This would be a great value signing.

Whats the best thing you can do to help Von Doom...add another pass rusher for the offense to deal with.

Lets say Abraham isn't a 9+ sack guy anymore...lets say he is a 6-7 sack guy. That would still be great if you look at it as him playing in a situational role. Get it done EFX!

If we get Manning, I equate adding Abraham would be the same as when we added Neil Smith and Alfred Williams.

I mean, we it would give us depth and we would be building our defense for pass rush just as the Colts had.

We would be playing with the lead and I think if adding all those two players came to fruition, its super bowl or bust for real...:salute:

JayJack
03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
I've been wanting to sign Abraham to play RE, and Wallace Gilberry to play LE, but when I saw that Abraham wants $12mil a year, no thanx.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-16-2012, 08:54 AM
I've been wanting to sign Abraham to play RE, and Wallace Gilberry to play LE, but when I saw that Abraham wants $12mil a year, no thanx.

$12 million? Uh yeah, we might as well cancel his flight. Especially if we couldnt match Miamis offer sheet of 6 million guaranteed to Soliai.

rogue719
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Seems like Den. is focused on D-fense still, what about our offensive needs. Maybe they're banking on Manning to bring some FA with him. Broncos are as confusing as ever!!

Hard to do much with the offense when we don't know yet who our QB will be

shawinkerpoppin
03-16-2012, 09:25 AM

he is gonna be retired for that price. I thought half of that might be slightly overpaying.

Hoserman117
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Falcons just re-signed him for 3 years.

shawinkerpoppin
03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Im starting to think we go Whitney mercillus with our first.

dukes88
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I think DE is a need - he would have been a good rotational add at a decent price. We had better resign Bunk if we are not going to add anyone to our DL.

canadiansbronco
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
He resigned with atlanta anyway