PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] Nene Traded

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
As part of three-team deal, Nene goes to the Wizards, JaVale McGee to Denver and Nick Young to Clippers, sources tell Y! Sports.

The Wizards send Rony Turiaf to Denver with McGee as part of three-team trade, too.

InElwayWeTrust
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

It's Manimal Time!!! :laugh:

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

It's Manimal Time!!! :laugh:

Not sure. McGhee might start.

Anyways, we'll see....this trade is weird and missing a part right now.

Clippers wouldn't be involved unless they gave up someone, so we'll see what happens..

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
i was hearing about mcgee saying he wants a deal for 14 mill a year this offseason. probably why the wizards ditched him. all in all fair trade if you ask me.

InElwayWeTrust
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
i was hearing about mcgee saying he wants a deal for 14 mill a year this offseason. probably why the wizards ditched him. all in all fair trade if you ask me.

Real fair if you're a clips fan. :laugh:

JakeNbake
03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
AgSYA3Gb7oI Mcgee is a JOKE

MarkB
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I just watched this vid last night..lol:

AgSYA3Gb7oI

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
McGee >>>>>>>>>> Nene

Younger. Hasn't reached his ceiling, not even close.

Nene is as good as he'll ever be.

Atwnbroncfan
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!

shawinkerpoppin
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
my lakers were making some deals today :)

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
The Wizards send Rony Turiaf to Denver with McGee as part of three-team trade, too.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is how I look at it:

Nene is too soft. He wasn't good. Making WAY to much money.

Turiaf is for cap relief. Expiring contract. He can earn time if he wants, but we'll see.

McGee is a young, up and coming C. He can compete with Mozzy and Kosta. He has an expiring contract too.

It just shows that Faried had beat out Nene, and they are content with him going forward and we could get rid of Nene's terrible contract.

Ryan_Nys
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I like the deal.. Don't think we're losing much honestly. We've been fine without Nene, and we'll do fine without him..

If we could somehow get McGee to stop being such an idiot and put in some work he could be something special..idk if that will ever happen though.. lol

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I like the deal.. Don't think we're losing much honestly. We've been fine without Nene, and we'll do fine without him..

If we could somehow get McGee to stop being such an idiot and put in some work he could be something special..idk if that will ever happen though.. lol

And even if we can't, more cap space for us if we get rid of McGee.

Ton of upside, so it was worth the risk and like you said....we are virtually losing nothing.

InElwayWeTrust
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
It just shows that Faried had beat out Nene, and they are content with him going forward and we could get rid of Nene's terrible contract.

Exactly. Remember a few weeks ago when Nene was hurt and I said Faried > Nene everyone laughed. :laugh:

Nene is a more polished scorer but Faried is better at literally EVERYTHING else. He is just flat out a better basketball player, and isn't scared of guards like Nene.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Such a great trade it is not even funny....

Masai is a genius...

BroncoRy
03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Love this deal. Even if McGhee is a knuckle head he will help the interior defense. He averages 2.5 blocks per game and almost 9 rebounds. Farried gets more time which is a great thing. I love watching him so much more than Nene.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Love this deal. Even if McGhee is a knuckle head he will help the interior defense. He averages 2.5 blocks per game and almost 9 rebounds. Farried gets more time which is a great thing. I love watching him so much more than Nene.

Agreed, and he is an expiring contract. So if he wants too much the Nuggets can let him walk and we have a ton of cap room now that Nene is gone.

Ryan_Nys
03-15-2012, 01:38 PM
And even if we can't, more cap space for us if we get rid of McGee.

Ton of upside, so it was worth the risk and like you said....we are virtually losing nothing.

Exactly.. Low risk, high reward. Either a C with huge potential or a bunch of cap room, either way I like it.

I don't remember the Nuggets ever being this deep in the front court... Mozzy, Koufos, Faried, McGee, and even Turiaf can give you some solid minutes. Nothing flashy but I like the group as a whole.

nic.zeman24
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I LOVE this trade it was obvious that Faried made Nene expendable. Mcgee will block more shots and maybe actually DUNK while around the rim

Orange Pants
03-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I wonder if this is to make more cap room to sign Chandler?

nic.zeman24
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Such a great trade it is not even funny....

Masai is a genius...

oh yes he is!! even if he did sign Nene to a terrible deal he just turned it around for a better center defensively and cap room

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I wonder if this is to make more cap room to sign Chandler?

that's a good point but no

I mean it brings cap, but it's not for that alone.

We still had plenty of room to spend on Chandler.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
This just sets us up in a win win situation.

Masai is the man, best Exec the Nuggets have ever had.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
This just sets us up in a win win situation.

Masai is the man, best Exec the Nuggets have ever had.

Unless he lets Chandler get away.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Unless he lets Chandler get away.

If Chandler is gone It will be because he wants too much $$$$$. I don't want to way overpay WC.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
If Chandler is gone It will be because he wants too much $$$$$. I don't want to way overpay WC.

I do.

We need another shooter. Pay the man.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I have heard that it is possible that if we can re-sign WC he will likely be our new starting PF.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I have heard that it is possible that if we can re-sign WC he will likely be our new starting PF.

:confused:

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
:confused:

He started at the 4 for the Knicks last year. He plays the 4 very well, stretches the floor and plays good D against other teams 4's.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
He started at the 4 for the Knicks last year. He plays the 4 very well, stretches the floor and plays good D against other teams 4's.

I can't see that for us.

Too small for most 4's. But, as long as he is a Nugget, then so be it.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I can't see that for us.

Too small for most 4's. But, as long as he is a Nugget, then so be it.

He played a lot of 4 for us last year. GK liked having him and Gallo on the floor at the same time.

johnlimburg
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
We got Mcgee. Hell yeah. What a trade. Masai continues to be the man.

We are going to have a constant highlight reel in the front court with Faried and Mcgee.

Orange Pants
03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
We got Mcgee. Hell yeah. What a trade. Masai continues to be the man.

We are going to have a constant highlight reel in the front court with Faried and Mcgee.

I'm just afraid Mcgee is going to make highlights doing stupid stuff like he is notorious for doing.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
We have gotten sooo much better defensively today. McGee Turiaf and Chandler for nene.

GK has to be really excited.

Masai is the man

BroncoRy
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Just watched the top 8 dumb plays by McGhee on you tube. The guy is a true head case. Hopefully playing on a team that is good will settle him down.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI

The Experience
03-15-2012, 04:11 PM
John Hollinger's analysis of the trade. Man Masai is incredible.

Denver: B
McGee has become a YouTube sensation for all the wrong reasons, making a colossal mental error at least once a game. I may need to move to Denver just to watch George Karl's reaction to coaching him.

And yet I like this. I know how weird this looks, but hear me out. The Nuggets had buyer's remorse on Nene from almost the day the contract was signed, as he's been unwilling to play through minor injuries and his on-court performance has slipped. I had heard the same reports others have that the Nuggets offered him to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins in the opening weeks of the season; in fact I was told it was the first call the Kings got after the Cousins-Westphal brouhaha.

Nene is 29 years old and relies heavily on his athleticism, and at $13 million a year for each of the four years after this one makes him a major risk, especially since the Nuggets have a lot of other young, talented players who will need to be paid over the next three years.

McGee, on the other hand, is 24 years old and hugely productive. He's Nene's equal as a finisher and scorer, and a much better rebounder and shot-blocker. He makes dramatically less than Nene right now, and while that gap will close this summer, the chill of restricted free agency should still allow the Nuggets to keep him for much less than the four years, $52 million owed Nene.

Additionally, the Nuggets will get a huge trade exception out of this. If my cap math is right, they can slot both Turiaf and McGee just inside the $7 million exception left over from the Raymond Felton deal (seriously, how giddy must the Nuggets be about that trade?), and thus can do a straight deal of Nene into a $13 million exception.
Basically, they amnestied Nene and got players back.

So while I'd rather have Nene than McGee today, I'm not sure that's true three years from now. And when you look at all the other cap management considerations, this is a nice deal for Denver.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Just watched the top 8 dumb plays by McGhee on you tube. The guy is a true head case. Hopefully playing on a team that is good will settle him down.

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI

No doubt, he is an idiot. But this kinda stuff won't fly with George Karl......

Cyrend
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
God I love this trade. McGee has so much talent and athleticism its just silly, but the dude is a bonehead. Maybe GK can help work it out of him.

But more importantly, we got rid of Nene! Thank god...we get another shooter (Chandler) and we are golden.

Cyrend
03-15-2012, 04:49 PM
He played a lot of 4 for us last year. GK liked having him and Gallo on the floor at the same time.

I thought that Karl had Gallo at the 4 and said he likes playing him there?

I think it would make more sense. He already plays Harrington as the stretch 4, so Gallo there instead with Chandler at the 2/3 makes more sense I would think

The Experience
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I thought that Karl had Gallo at the 4 and said he likes playing him there?

I think it would make more sense. He already plays Harrington as the stretch 4, so Gallo there instead with Chandler at the 2/3 makes more sense I would think

Chandler played 2,3 and 4 for us last year. He played a ton of 4, and he did play him at the 4 and Gallo at the 3.

The Experience
03-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Turiaf to be waived to make room for Chandler...

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
So in essence we got:

McGee
Cap Room
2nd round pick

Plus a trade exemption of 13 mil

beastlyskronk
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Great trade, Magee actually has a vertical. Finally we can watch someone go up and rebound a ball or dunk on someone or block a shot. Plus he's way younger

The Experience
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
So in essence we got:

McGee
Cap Room
2nd round pick

Plus a trade exemption of 13 mil

Hollinger put it best.

Nuggets basically amnesty Nene and get players, pick and TE in return.

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 11:06 PM
They think they can 'tame' McGee.

He's restricted, and PLAN on re-signing him.

Longest wing span / reach in the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/video/2012/03/16/UjiriTrade31512wmv-2036312/index.html

Broncoholic3233
03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
General Statement:
“We just made a trade today. I think it has come out in the media already. We traded Nene for Ronny Turiaf and JaVale McGee. It was a three-way trade. Nick Young went to the [Los Angeles] Clippers. We exchanged second -round picks. We got an extra second-round pick from the Clippers.

"It is a tough day for us. Nene, I think, played here for nine seasons. For us to do something like this has been something that is very hard. Nene has been great to this organization; his family, everybody around him. We wish him the best but we felt that the best thing for this organization is that we wanted to go a little bit younger. We got JaVale McGee, a big 7-foot-0 center. I spoke with JaVale McGee, and he is very happy, he is very excited.

"We had two options for him which was to come on a 7 a.m. flight or a 3 p.m. flight tomorrow and he chose the 7 a.m. flight. That’s how excited the kid is. He knows it’s going to be a new start for him. He knows all the little issues and things that people always talk about and he understands and we spoke about that. He is coming with his agent B.J. Armstrong who played for the Chicago Bulls who is a great influence on him.

"We are excited. We felt that we needed someone athletic, somebody that can protect the paint a little bit. We’re happy, we’re happy that we were able to get JaVale McGee. He just turned 24 years old. We know it’s the last year of his deal coming up this summer. We felt that rather than doing something this summer, we felt that we wanted to see him for a couple of months on our roster and then we can really evaluate his talent. I think if there is a year where you want to experiment a little bit I think this is the year.

"It has been plenty of ups-and-downs, injuries, and all the factors that have gone into the up-and-down season. During the year where we had a few guys injured, a few of our young guys got to play and we got to see some of the upside that we can have and some of the excitement that they bring, what we’re kind of looking for and what kind of inspired the organization.

"Josh [Kroenke] and I had been talking about it for a while - maybe to go younger and try and build. This opportunity came and we know sometimes you have to do drastic things like this, but we felt that if we had waited maybe we lose this player in the summer, so we decided to jump on it now." "It’s a very tough day for, I know, the Kroenkes (and) the organization. This deal came kind of out of the blue, but it is something we thought about and the big picture of things going forward. We have to compete with those other teams, athletically; this player gives us this opportunity.

On if he has spoken to Nene yet:
“I haven’t spoken to Nene yet. We have spoken to his people, to his agent but I haven’t had the chance to speak to Nene yet. The deal didn’t get done until a few minutes ago, there are a lot of deals done and there was a back log.”

On if Nene responded to the challenge of being the go-to-guy of the team:
“We thought he did, but he was bugged by little nagging injuries here and there and so he couldn’t really establish consistency with I don’t know how many lineups we have changed out there. That was difficult to do, but we had faith in him and we rewarded him in the summer. We had complete faith in Nene. We just felt that there was going to be a time where we were going to go in another direction.”

On whether the Nuggets are concerned about making a big move in the midst of a playoff run:
“Yes we are. But it is during year when we can afford to do that. Young guys, throw them in and go out and play and maybe get your face kicked a little bit but get some experience and then we know who they are. This is a year that we can afford to do that. We didn’t do it in the intention of not making the playoffs. We did it with the intention of big picture, make the team better and that’s kind of how we feel.”

On Kenneth Faried’s play being an influencing decision:
“It was a factor. We felt like it was some of his play there that gave us confidence. Faried can play the game and contribute. When we look at JaVale McGee, he is a young player; it is almost how we looked at [Danilo] Gallinari and a couple of the guys that we got in the trade last year. They are young but they got a couple years of NBA experience, so we can build from that and teach them our culture; they can play under a great system with George Karl. Historically, guys that come here get better and if we look at the progress that [Kosta] Koufos and [Timofey] Mozgov, even if it is this little, that they have made from last year to this year we can’t wait to see what progress JaVale McGee will make in a year, even if it is that little with a player that is that athletic and that big that likes to run the floor and will protect the rim. I think we will see a good player.”

On the confidence of “taming” McGee:
“One-hundred percent. We have done our homework. We have talked to tons of people. And we all do crazy stuff, and I think he will grow up. I think he is really excited about the new opportunity to come here and come play on a team that runs, that plays a style that he likes, and just a new home.”

On the plans for Ronnie Turiaf:
“We will waive Turiaf and that gives us a roster spot, and with that roster spot we hope to get Wilson Chandler done in a couple days here, hopefully.”

On how this affects cap space:
“Going forward, yes we saved some money, but we did it for the talent and going into the summer, obviously McGee is going to be free so we will have to figure that out. Next year is Ty Lawson’s year or Mozgov’s year going forward so good flexibility is what I think we got with our team.”

InElwayWeTrust
03-15-2012, 11:10 PM
I really like McGhee's potential. He is extremely athletic for how tall he is.

I think with him and Faried in the game at the same time we have a really dynamic, fast, athletic frontcourt. They can both run the fastbreak really fast, and can throw it down with the best of em.

Obviously they wont be in together all the time because Koufos and Mozgov but they would be a good pairing.

A lineup of Ty, AAA, Galinari, Faried, McGhee is built to run!

johnlimburg
03-16-2012, 01:17 AM
I am scared not having a low post scorer. We are so bad at scoring in our half court offense. We literally have no one who is great at creating space and scoring the basketball. We have two offense challenged big men in Faried and Mcghee. In the back court we have a point in Lawson who if the inside and penetration is taken away he has no offense. He will hit some jumpers but his jumper is poor. Afflalo will get a nice drive here and there and is more of a spot up shooter. Gallo is good but is lacking a bit of confidence and right now is not making as many plays on the offensive end.

When Chandler gets here he will help the scoring.

beastlyskronk
03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I am scared not having a low post scorer. We are so bad at scoring in our half court offense. We literally have no one who is great at creating space and scoring the basketball. We have two offense challenged big men in Faried and Mcghee. In the back court we have a point in Lawson who if the inside and penetration is taken away he has no offense. He will hit some jumpers but his jumper is poor. Afflalo will get a nice drive here and there and is more of a spot up shooter. Gallo is good but is lacking a bit of confidence and right now is not making as many plays on the offensive end.

When Chandler gets here he will help the scoring.

Well I think this move is going to force Ty Lawson to run every time he gets the ball. Our starting 5 as a whole is more athletic than any other starting 5 in the NBA. I think Mozgov has a little bit of a post game, he just needs to get healthy. Also we're going to be seeing a lot more alley oops because of McGee. I fully expect McGee to thrive in our offense, this will also help to free up Faried to run around and make plays on offense. And I expect Ty Lawson to continue to get better.

nic.zeman24
03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
What will the starting lineup look like after the trade?

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
Mozgov?or Mcgee

The Experience
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
What will the starting lineup look like after the trade?

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
Mozgov?or Mcgee

this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
Mozgoz

this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
McGee

this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
WC
McGee

or this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
WC
Mozgov

beastlyskronk
03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
Mozgoz

this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
Faried
McGee

this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
WC
McGee

or this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
WC
Mozgov

or this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
McGee
Mozgov

idk i could see that too

The Experience
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
or this:

Lawson
AAA
Gallo
McGee
Mozgov

idk i could see that too

It's possible

beastlyskronk
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
It's possible

That's a big/long lineup. Gallo is what 6'11"? McGee and Mozgov are both 7' and McGee has the longest wingspan in the NBA and a lot of athleticism