PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow returns to Jacksonville

cunninglinguist
03-16-2012, 08:04 AM
to open first of his playrooms for ill children.
http:// jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2012-03-15/story/tim-tebow-returns-jacksonville-open-first-his-playrooms-ill (http://http://jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2012-03-15/story/tim-tebow-returns-jacksonville-open-first-his-playrooms-ill)

Tim Tebow, of course, was the star Thursday in Jacksonville at the opening of his foundation’s first Timmy’s Playroom for children with life-threatening illnesses.

But 11-year-old Blake Torres of Atlantic Beach, who is battling a recurrence of leukemia, stole the show from one of the nation’s most famous figures.

“I think the playroom is wonderful. I love what you’ve done with the place,” Blake told the Denver Broncos quarterback and the contingent of donors who had crowded into the playroom for a news conference.

The youngster added: “Bringing in a kid who has an illness … and taking it all away, just being able to sit here and play, that’s what it’s all about. A kid being happy and having fun.”

Then Blake left with the hometown hero to spend the afternoon together.

Tebow was also scheduled to attend a fundraiser Thursday night at Christ’s Church Academy.

The Tim Tebow Foundation’s first playroom is at the Southpoint headquarters of Dreams Come True, a national nonprofit that fulfills the dreams of ill children. The playroom will not be open to the public but will be used by Blake and other “dreamers” when they have parties or have to attend meetings.

Tebow said he was proud to partner with Dreams Come True.

“What this is about is … helping kids have a lot of hope,” he said.

Designed to look like a mini-locker room, the playroom has its own mini-stadium tunnel, comfy chairs in the shape of footballs, a play area and lots of toys, art table and a large TV equipped with an Xbox. On the walls are blown-up photos of Tebow; his former stomping ground, the University of Florida football stadium on game day, full of orange-and-blue-clad fans; and photos of all the children Tebow has met at NFL games through his W15H wish-granting program.

The playroom will be used as a model for at least 18 more at hospitals around the world.

Tebow said making children smile is what makes his day, more than any football win or accolade. Helping people, he said, has been his life’s mission since a mission trip he took to the Philippines when he was 15.

“We’re doing something that makes a difference,” he said. “We’re changing people’s lives and we’re doing it one person at a time.”

When he is preparing to play an NFL game, with pressure building about whether he will perform as “a hero or a goat,” he said, spending time with children who are fighting for their lives puts him at peace.

“Before a game, I spend time doing something that really matters,” he said, “and then there is no pressure on me. It doesn’t matter ultimately whether I win or lose.”

I know this last comment won't go over well with some people on this board.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-16-2012, 08:13 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/a-see-what-you-did-there-11.jpg?w=500&h=420

Oilersfan34
03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I think he has the right attitude.

PhoenixDread
03-16-2012, 09:39 AM
to open first of his playrooms for ill children.
http:// jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2012-03-15/story/tim-tebow-returns-jacksonville-open-first-his-playrooms-ill (http://http://jacksonville.com/news/health-and-fitness/2012-03-15/story/tim-tebow-returns-jacksonville-open-first-his-playrooms-ill)

Tim Tebow, of course, was the star Thursday in Jacksonville at the opening of his foundation’s first Timmy’s Playroom for children with life-threatening illnesses.

But 11-year-old Blake Torres of Atlantic Beach, who is battling a recurrence of leukemia, stole the show from one of the nation’s most famous figures.

“I think the playroom is wonderful. I love what you’ve done with the place,” Blake told the Denver Broncos quarterback and the contingent of donors who had crowded into the playroom for a news conference.

The youngster added: “Bringing in a kid who has an illness … and taking it all away, just being able to sit here and play, that’s what it’s all about. A kid being happy and having fun.”

Then Blake left with the hometown hero to spend the afternoon together.

Tebow was also scheduled to attend a fundraiser Thursday night at Christ’s Church Academy.

The Tim Tebow Foundation’s first playroom is at the Southpoint headquarters of Dreams Come True, a national nonprofit that fulfills the dreams of ill children. The playroom will not be open to the public but will be used by Blake and other “dreamers” when they have parties or have to attend meetings.

Tebow said he was proud to partner with Dreams Come True.

“What this is about is … helping kids have a lot of hope,” he said.

Designed to look like a mini-locker room, the playroom has its own mini-stadium tunnel, comfy chairs in the shape of footballs, a play area and lots of toys, art table and a large TV equipped with an Xbox. On the walls are blown-up photos of Tebow; his former stomping ground, the University of Florida football stadium on game day, full of orange-and-blue-clad fans; and photos of all the children Tebow has met at NFL games through his W15H wish-granting program.

The playroom will be used as a model for at least 18 more at hospitals around the world.

Tebow said making children smile is what makes his day, more than any football win or accolade. Helping people, he said, has been his life’s mission since a mission trip he took to the Philippines when he was 15.

“We’re doing something that makes a difference,” he said. “We’re changing people’s lives and we’re doing it one person at a time.”

When he is preparing to play an NFL game, with pressure building about whether he will perform as “a hero or a goat,” he said, spending time with children who are fighting for their lives puts him at peace.

“Before a game, I spend time doing something that really matters,” he said, “and then there is no pressure on me. It doesn’t matter ultimately whether I win or lose.”

I know this last comment won't go over well with some people on this board.

It definitely won't. He should chose his words a little more wisely. Something like "Sure I'd love to go out there and get a win, but even if we lose I'll feel good knowing I've made a difference in someone's life" would've been better.

Rollo
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
The thing I love about Tebow are his perspectives on life.

He understands that what he is doing is for the greater good, and that football doesnt matter in the scheme of things. But at the same time, football is very important because hes playing for a whole city, fanbase, and an entire league. He understands that he can use the sport he's gifted to play to spread his message.

Im not a christian or a religous fellow, but I personally love the message he's getting across and all the work he's doing. I think that our children and our childrens children should look up to Tim Tebow as a person, and not as a football player. Because ultimately, when the games over and done with, there are still sick kids to give hope to, there are still people that could use your help. Someone that understands their responsibilites as a role model and accepts them to the fullest is a winner in anyones book.

Just me 2 cents.

IABronco05
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
It definitely won't. He should chose his words a little more wisely. Something like "Sure I'd love to go out there and get a win, but even if we lose I'll feel good knowing I've made a difference in someone's life" would've been better.

People need to realize there are much more important things in life than wins and losses

XIV
03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
People need to realize there are much more important things in life than wins and losses

yeah like mechanics and completion percentage to the majority on this board... :sad::sad::sad:

LONG live Teeeebooooowwww!!!

broncos SB2010
03-16-2012, 02:34 PM

That's true. Let him go do those things and leave football to someone else.

Buck_N_Broncs
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I know this may sound quite brutal...

But i root for Tebow/Broncos because he took us to the playoffs, and was clutch. Not because hes a good guy and likes to snip foreskin from little babies in the Philippines

Tebow Junky
03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I can tell there are a BUNCH of kids on this message board.

jarbronco
03-16-2012, 03:37 PM
I can tell there are a BUNCH of kids on this message board.

If you want to stay young, play with children.

PhoenixDread
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM

I wasn't bashing Tebow at all. I just thought it would've been a better choice of words (to keep the media from starting a fire ya know?). I know at the end of the day football really doesn't matter, but people lacking comprehension skills may take it the wrong way as if he doesn't care at all about being a football player... Just like how you took it as if I'm... Nevermind...

BANJOPICKER1
03-16-2012, 07:06 PM
That's true. Let him go do those things and leave football to someone else.

Funny stuff :D CP to ya!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!:goz: