PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Countdown To Opening Day

Broncoholic3233
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
LESS THAN 10 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY IN HOUSTON!!!

_OquKDedDYM

shawinkerpoppin
03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't pay attention to baseball but that was a short off season .

Broncoholic3233
03-28-2012, 07:23 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2007/1015/20071015__GamerHelton101507~p1.jpg

Atwnbroncfan
03-28-2012, 07:28 PM
The rotation has me scared as hell.

Broncoholic3233
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
The rotation has me scared as hell.

I don't even care.

I'm so sick of the Nuggets already, I can't freaking wait. So excited.

Guthrie, Chacin, Pomeranz and Nicasio excite me.

Pomeranz a top prospect in all of baseball, he better pan out.

Moyer scares the hell out of me if he's in the rotation.

But right now, I have a feeling that if anything struggles early on, it won't be our pitching, it'll be our batting even though our lineup is loaded, especially if Pacheco is playing 3rd.

Broncoholic3233
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
It's impossible to stretch the truth. Hyperbole doesn't fit.

The Rockies, a team that was too young in April, too hurt in August and too far behind in September, are going to the World Series. Colorado flogged the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-4 on Monday night in Game 4 of the National League Championship Series, bullying into baseball's final act.

There's no need for TiVo. Or historical perspective. Let's just call this what it is: the greatest run ever for a team racing into the World Series. The Rockies are 21-1 since Sept. 15. They erased a four-game deficit in the wild-card standings. They ruined the Dodgers' season, threw Ragu on the Padres' painting and spoiled TV ratings by erasing the Phillies in the division series.

Not since the 1976 Cincinnati Reds had a team won its first seven playoff games. Big Red Machine, we present Up with Purple. Or perhaps Back in Black, the uniform of choice as the Rockies won their 10th consecutive game behind Matt Holliday's three-run home run and Manny Corpas' cold-hearted, four-out save.

The embarrassment of empty seats and the stench of six straight losing seasons were replaced by a Polaroid 15 seasons in developing. The flashbulbs provided evidence of the moment's significance. Denver has a new sports chapter to place among the Broncos' Super Bowls and the Avalanche's Stanley Cups. The Rockies are going to the World Series, facing either the Cleveland Indians or Boston Red Sox, starting next Wednesday on the road.

"You grow up and you watch those teams on the podium and guys talk about that experience - to be part of it is unbelievable," Rockies third baseman Garrett Atkins said. "It's a dream come true and something I will never forget."

The final out - an Eric Byrnes groundout to shortstop Troy Tulowitzki - triggered an avalanche of noise and joy, the Rockies bench emptying as the crowd erupted. Tulowitzki followed his throw across the diamond and jumped
into first baseman Todd Helton's arms. Holliday ran deliriously from left field, stopping and throwing his glove into the air as pitcher Josh Fogg practically tackled him.

"I'm very thankful to be a part of this," Holliday said. "To just see the fans react and be a part of this is tremendous."

For historians, the Rockies advanced to the World Series at 11:38 p.m., though LoDo relied on fireworks, not watches, to singe the memory into a city's psyche.

Players piled onto the pitcher's mound, screaming, laughing, pulling on National League Champion T-shirts. The third champagne party in two weeks commenced in the dugout, spilling and draining into a clubhouse that has never been anything but empty this time Colorado led 6-1, marching confidently toward its first National League pennant with footprints on the Diamondbacks' chest. Holliday, shaking free of his slump, blasted a 452-foot home run to dead center field off Micah Owings. It was the punctuation to another two-out rally - "That's where they have really excelled in this series," lamented Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes - that found pinch-hitter Seth Smith at the epicenter. Smith's two-run double cruelly landed at the
feet of Arizona outfielder Eric Byrnes, who insisted that the Diamondbacks had outplayed Colorado in Phoenix.

But his jam-shot double and Holliday's moonshot home run were in danger of becoming footnotes as Manny Corpas performed the sign of the cross as he jogged out of the bullpen.

The five-run cushion had deflated to two, siphoning fear into a suddenly nervous crowd. Chris Snyder blasted a three-run home run off setup man Brian Fuentes and when Justin Upton tripled, it was left to Corpas to extend the expiration date on this miracle finish.
All he had to do was silence Tony Clark, a known Rockies killer, who has socks older than some of the Rockies' players. Corpas teetered, reaching a full count. Then,in a pitch that is symbolic of a team that has grown up before a state's eyes, the 24-year-old delivered a 77-mph slider that couldn't have broken more if it were a Frisbee.

This is Corpas at his best, impossible to unnerve.

"When we put him in as our closer in June, we thought he could do it, but we weren't sure," pitching coach Bob Apodaca said. "He has no fear of anything."
The ninth seemed simple by comparison, if you ignore the waving white towels, the Rockies' chants and a stadium that was stretched to its breaking point.

Byrnes tried a headfirst slide, but was never close, a moment capturing a series when the Rockies outscored Arizona 18-8.

"It hurts," Diamondbacks' manager Bob Melvin said.

No one in the crowd wanted to leave, and who could blame them? When the state woke up this morning, it shared the same question: Did this really happen? Did the Rockies really sweep their way into the World Series?

"I'm experiencing emotions I didn't even know I had," Helton said. "We are living the dream. Just can't explain it."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7185576

I can't wait for the regular season!

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
8 MORE DAYS!!!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7didzzNKF1qc1bc4o1_400.jpg

The Experience
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
I think Nelson starts at 3B with Pacheco as a utility backup who can catch, play 3rd 2nd or 1st.

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I think Nelson starts at 3B with Pacheco as a utility backup who can catch, play 3rd 2nd or 1st.

We'll see.

I like Nelson, but with the way Pacheco is hitting in Spring Training, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the 3rd base job at least to start.

The Experience
03-29-2012, 04:20 PM
We'll see.

I like Nelson, but with the way Pacheco is hitting in Spring Training, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the 3rd base job at least to start.

Pacheco had a similar spring last year and didn't even make the team. Nelson has much more potential and is having a great spring as well. I just see Pacheco's versatility being more valuable coming off the bench at this point.

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Pacheco had a similar spring last year and didn't even make the team. Nelson has much more potential and is having a great spring as well. I just see Pacheco's versatility being more valuable coming off the bench at this point.

While Nelson does have a good amount of potential, I am not sure he has 'more' potential than Pacheco.

Nelson was drafted in 2004, and still has been able to make the club on a regular basis.

I really like Nelson, enjoy when he is called up, but I think Pacheco has just as much potential, and has frankly had a better Spring.

Remedy
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Go Jays Go

amidoingitright?!?

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Go Jays Go

amidoingitright?!?

No. No you are not.

In fact, you are failing so miserably, that I can tell you are Canadian!

The Experience
03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
While Nelson does have a good amount of potential, I am not sure he has 'more' potential than Pacheco.

Nelson was drafted in 2004, and still has been able to make the club on a regular basis.

I really like Nelson, enjoy when he is called up, but I think Pacheco has just as much potential, and has frankly had a better Spring.

The main reason for Nelson being set back is injuries. I just see Nelson having more of a future with the club than Pacheco.

Arrenado is the future at 3B no question. Nelson can play 3rd this year, then move to 2nd next year because I dont see DOD paying Scutaro. With Rosario being the future C I don't see where Pacheco fits in the future.... Maybe 1B when Helton retires? I heard Cuddyer may go there....

I can see either Pacheco or Nelson happening at 3B at this point though. Pacheco has had a great spring and was great at the end of last year. Will be really happy to have him on the ball club regardless.

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
The main reason for Nelson being set back is injuries. I just see Nelson having more of a future with the club than Pacheco.

Arrenado is the future at 3B no question. Nelson can play 3rd this year, then move to 2nd next year because I dont see DOD paying Scutaro. With Rosario being the future C I don't see where Pacheco fits in the future.... Maybe 1B when Helton retires? I heard Cuddyer may go there....

I can see either Pacheco or Nelson happening at 3B at this point though. Pacheco has had a great spring and was great at the end of last year. Will be really happy to have him on the ball club regardless.

Yeah, we'll see, I think Pacheco has a very bright future, and maybe he can hopefully take over for Helton.

But yes, Arrenado is definitely the future at 3B, maybe as soon as June.

The Experience
03-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, we'll see, I think Pacheco has a very bright future, and maybe he can hopefully take over for Helton.

But yes, Arrenado is definitely the future at 3B, maybe as soon as June.

A lot to be excited about with this team. I just hope they don't let me down again :(

What does everyone think of our new road unis?

Freyaka
03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Thought I'd toss this in here for all you Rockies fans waiting for the season to start :D

http://freyaka.deviantart.com/art/Colorado-Rockies-Wallpaper-293057385
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/089/a/1/colorado_rockies_wallpaper_by_freyaka-d4uh8ix.jpg

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 11:31 PM
It's awesome. Especially for how quickly you threw it together.

Freyaka
03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
It's awesome. Especially for how quickly you threw it together.

Ya I'd say I spent like an hour or so on it...

Broncoholic3233
03-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Ya I'd say I spent like an hour or so on it...

Damn, seems like you threw it together even quicker than that.

But it's awesome. No doubt. Great work.

Freyaka
03-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Damn, seems like you threw it together even quicker than that.

But it's awesome. No doubt. Great work.

Thanks man!

Bronco51
03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
So just read on ESPN that Moyer has earned the no.2 spot in the rotation................and the season is offically over. SMH

ERoyal248
03-30-2012, 08:08 PM
So just read on ESPN that Moyer has earned the no.2 spot in the rotation................and the season is offically over. SMH

Aren't you a Phillies fan??

The Experience
03-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Make or break year for Dexter Fowler. If he hits .260 again he will be traded at the end of the year. We need significant improvement from him. He had a great 2nd half so I'm hoping he will play that way all year.

Broncoholic3233
03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I love Dex. He provides so much to this team. His defense is phenomenal.

He's put on a ton of muscle, I'm thinking we see an increase in HRs. Maybe a .275 BA which I'm content with.

Love the kid, definitely expect big things outta him.

CinnaMunMun
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Make or break year for Dexter Fowler. If he hits .260 again he will be traded at the end of the year. We need significant improvement from him. He had a great 2nd half so I'm hoping he will play that way all year.

I could put up with .260 as long as he has something like a .350 OBP and 20+ steals or 95+ runs.

With leadoff walks scoring 38% of the time, same as a leadoff single, it's all about getting on base.

Broncoholic3233
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
And yes....it's very troubling to me Moyer even made the rotation let alone, 2nd.

Then Pomeranz won't even join the rotation until the 15th.

Tracy already pissing me off.

CinnaMunMun
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
And yes....it's very troubling to me Moyer even made the rotation let alone, 2nd.

Then Pomeranz won't even join the rotation until the 15th.

Tracy already pissing me off.

Pomeranz is only because of his age and the whole innings thing. I expect him to get moved on up once he starts proving his worth.

Honestly I don't think the Rockies truly see Moyer as the #2. I think they rather would have wanted Pomeranz in the Righty/Lefty/Righty mix up top. Once De La Rosa comes back, barring something odd, Moyer is still the odd man out.

Broncoholic3233
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Pomeranz is only because of his age and the whole innings thing. I expect him to get moved on up once he starts proving his worth.

Honestly I don't think the Rockies truly see Moyer as the #2. I think they rather would have wanted Pomeranz in the Righty/Lefty/Righty mix up top. Once De La Rosa comes back, barring something odd, Moyer is still the odd man out.

He better be the odd man out once JDLR comes back, or someone is severely underachieving.

Don't get me wrong, the Moyer story is awesome, but having a 49 year old as our #2 is quite troubling.

The Experience
03-30-2012, 10:00 PM

I think they put Moyer at #2 just so Chacin can start the home opener. I agree they won't see him as the #2.

I understand what they did with Pomeranz. He will be somewhat limited this year as this is only his 3rd year in Pro baseball.

So far no gripes with Tracy. Not sold on Moyer, am rooting for him. But I just don't see him being all that good for an entire season.

Broncoholic3233
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Nicasio should've been the home starter IMO.

I love Chacin, but what Nicasio has done is remarkable.

CinnaMunMun
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Nicasio should've been the home starter IMO.

I love Chacin, but what Nicasio has done is remarkable.

Agreed. I would have loved to see him take that hill. :thumb:

Bronco51
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Aren't you a Phillies fan??

Phillies are #1 and Rockies are 1b. Proud season ticket holder since they started.

As for Moyer, it just plain scares me that they couldn't scare up someone a little younger who could give them better innings. I feel Moyer will lose some of those early games that will come back to haunt them later in the season. But he does fit the good character guy they are looking to fill the locker room with.

Broncoholic3233
03-31-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't know....I'm just so damn excited I don't care that Moyer is starting.

Good for him, he obviously proved himself enough, even if it was a little worrisome.

I don't like Tracy, still don't like Tracy -- so he's gonna have to get on my good side by actually winning a chess match or two and fielding a disciplined team.

Anyways, GO ROCKIES!

Broncoholic3233
03-31-2012, 04:53 PM
6 DAYS UNTIL ROCKIES START!!!!

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/juan-nicasio-11012.jpg

Give em hell, Nicasio!!!

Broncoholic3233
04-01-2012, 12:12 PM
5 DAYS UNTIL ROCKIES START!!!

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2010/07/31/073110-Carlos-Gonzalez-SW-PI_20100731233850_660_320.JPG

Atwnbroncfan
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I wonder if using a walker while trying to bunt will be legal for Moyer.

Atwnbroncfan
04-01-2012, 01:47 PM
You Stay Classy Ubaldo :coffee:

BroncoFanBoy
04-01-2012, 02:03 PM
That was... ridiculous!! That is the most uncalled for thing in a baseball game I've ever seen!!!!

Glad we traded that jerk. He doesn't deserve that contract.

Broncoholic3233
04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
4 Days Until Rockies Start!!!!!!!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/galleries/194/194154/crop_450x500_GYI0058621289.jpg

Broncoholic3233
04-03-2012, 07:04 PM
3 DAYS UNTIL THE ROCKIES START!!!!!!!

http://mlblogscountingbaseballs.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/michael-cuddyer-rockies.jpg?w=555&h=312

Broncoholic3233
04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
LESS THAN 2 DAYS UNTIL ROCKIES START!!!!

http://baseballlatinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/chacinx-large.jpg

Broncoholic3233
04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
1 MORE DAY UNTIL THE ROCKIES START!!!!!!!!!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/04/medium_rocktober.jpg

http://coloradosportsbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/610x1.jpg

Broncoholic3233
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
ROCKIES BASEBALL IS HERE!!!!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/chieftain.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/44/744f2cf6-7fa7-11e1-a59a-0019bb2963f4/4f7e7bd29e85d.preview-300.jpg

Bronco51
04-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Phillies are #1 and Rockies are 1b. Proud season ticket holder since they started.

As for Moyer, it just plain scares me that they couldn't scare up someone a little younger who could give them better innings. I feel Moyer will lose some of those early games that will come back to haunt them later in the season. But he does fit the good character guy they are looking to fill the locker room with.

And it took his first start of the season to lose a winnable game against a horrible opponent without eating up innings.............:sad: