PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] Are the Nuggets Overachieving or Underachieving?

Broncoholic3233
04-12-2012, 09:41 AM
It's an interesting topic, where I am sure there will be a lot of differing opinion.

Anyways, this got started when Scott Hasting's joined Evans and Klatt on the radio this morning. Scott was ripped on Kiszla and called him a jackass. I agree wholeheartedly. But anyways....

Kiszla wrote a column today that the Nuggets are way underachieving....and that they should finish out of the playoffs and get entered into the lottery because we are basically a first round bye for the OKC or SA if we finish 7th or 8th.

Karl on the other hand, has said that he believes this team is overachieving with everything they've been through.

So, there are the two viewpoints, and Hasting is obviously more on Karl's side. What is your take?

Here is mine:

I believe that we are overachieving like George has said.

Early in the year, before it started I had very high expectations. You look at our roster and you see a very deep, very talented team. Sure, we didn't have any 'superstars' but we had one of the most solid 1-15 in the NBA, probably the deepest. We start the season proving how talented we are. We are sitting 14-5 and flying high. I predicted early we would finish two, and after that, I thought we would. Then disaster struck....

- Nene is constantly out with injury, which leads to a rookie, who frankly wasn't ready at the time (Faried), stepping in and taking over for him.

- Rudy was contributing when we were good (14-5). Then he gets hit with the injury bug. Tries to fight through it, isn't very effective. Gets injured again. Lose him for the year. (While people like to rip on him, he's a very solid player, and is a deadly shooter. If we had a healthy Rudy, he'd help a lot coming off the bench. He can easily turn a 4 point deficit to a 5 point lead quickly with his shooting.)

- We lose Ty to an ankle injury. Once he returns, he is skidish and not nearly as effective as he was. He isn't attacking the basket and isn't scoring. He gets it back, but he's been off and on all year. Won't blame that on injury, because he's said it's because he's not used to being asked to score....but still.....the injury hindered him at the beginning of the year...no doubt.

- We lose Gallo to a bad ankle injury. HUGE. He's out best scorer out there and really the person who could potentially become that 'all star / superstar' player. That hurts...badly....especially because we don't have Chandler to step in for him. Then he comes back, and shortly thereafter, fractures his thumb. Misses a more games until he finally returned last game.

- We trade our PF in Nene. Just paid him huge money to stay here and be our go to big men, and he's out like that. It was a dumb signing in the first place, but still, expectations were apparently high with him. We get young, raw talent in McGee (LOVE the trade). But, McGee still has a lot to learn. Assuming we re-sign him, I think we'll see great improvement next year. But nonetheless, that is just another hurdle, for a young, young team to get over.

- We lose Timo for a long period of time with a bad ankle injury. He was our key big man. He was improving game by game and was really becoming a force in the paint. He comes back the same way Ty did....'scared' for lack of a better term. He isn't the same player because his ankle still wasn't 100%, and apparently Karl isn't happy with him....so he never sees playing time anymore.

Anyways, I can go on, because there were more injuries (Chandler, Kosta, Brewer, etc...) but I won't because this is getting long.

Throughout ALL of these hurdles, having one of the youngest teams, having the COUNTLESS injuries, we are still currently TIED for 6th place, in a VERY deep Western Conference.

I am not happy with the team. I expect a lot out of all my teams, but that doesn't mean I don't think we are overachieving. Early in the year and preseason, if I was told we'd be in 6th-8th for the playoffs, I'd be pissed. But after everything, I am very content just making the playoffs, and do believe we have 'overachieved'.

Next year though, to overachieve, our defense definitely needs to improve though, no doubt about it.

Broncoholic3233
04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Seven NBA teams have used more than 15 starting lineups this season. #Nuggets are the only one with a winning record.

https://twitter.com/#!/denvernuggets

DenverBlood
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
I agree. Overachieving because of the injury issues. Still don't have my hopes up unless everyone comes back healthy in time for the playoffs.

The Experience
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I think in the eyes of the entire league we are overachieving.

And to an extent I agree, but I also believe we are underachieving by losing to teams we shouldn't.

DenverBlood
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I think in the eyes of the entire league we are overachieving.

And to an extent I agree, but I also believe we are underachieving by losing to teams we shouldn't.

Yeah but are we saying losing to teams they shouldn't based on the potential we know the team has? Or based on the actual current potential based on injuries?

With how many injuries we have had some of those teams may not have been much worse than us despite a significant gap in records. We have had some rosters some nights that are probably comparable to the worst teams in the league.

So in that regard even though it makes us mad it really shouldn't be as surprising as say some of the games we used to lose to bad teams with Kmart, Melo and Nene all healthy.

nic.zeman24
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
When you take into account not having a steady lineup I think we are overachieving. We have taken steps forward. TY, AAA, and Gallo (before his injuries) were setting career highs in points and other areas including dimes for Ty. Faried is going to be a nice player for us. I still think we need a center Mcgee might be the guy but he also doesnt have very many brain cells.

BluenOrnge4Life
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
It's an interesting topic, where I am sure there will be a lot of differing opinion.

Anyways, this got started when Scott Hasting's joined Evans and Klatt on the radio this morning. Scott was ripped on Kiszla and called him a jackass. I agree wholeheartedly. But anyways....

Kiszla wrote a column today that the Nuggets are way underachieving....and that they should finish out of the playoffs and get entered into the lottery because we are basically a first round bye for the OKC or SA if we finish 7th or 8th.

Karl on the other hand, has said that he believes this team is overachieving with everything they've been through.

So, there are the two viewpoints, and Hasting is obviously more on Karl's side. What is your take?

Here is mine:

I believe that we are overachieving like George has said.

Early in the year, before it started I had very high expectations. You look at our roster and you see a very deep, very talented team. Sure, we didn't have any 'superstars' but we had one of the most solid 1-15 in the NBA, probably the deepest. We start the season proving how talented we are. We are sitting 14-5 and flying high. I predicted early we would finish two, and after that, I thought we would. Then disaster struck....

- Nene is constantly out with injury, which leads to a rookie, who frankly wasn't ready at the time (Faried), stepping in and taking over for him.

- Rudy was contributing when we were good (14-5). Then he gets hit with the injury bug. Tries to fight through it, isn't very effective. Gets injured again. Lose him for the year. (While people like to rip on him, he's a very solid player, and is a deadly shooter. If we had a healthy Rudy, he'd help a lot coming off the bench. He can easily turn a 4 point deficit to a 5 point lead quickly with his shooting.)

- We lose Ty to an ankle injury. Once he returns, he is skidish and not nearly as effective as he was. He isn't attacking the basket and isn't scoring. He gets it back, but he's been off and on all year. Won't blame that on injury, because he's said it's because he's not used to being asked to score....but still.....the injury hindered him at the beginning of the year...no doubt.

- We lose Gallo to a bad ankle injury. HUGE. He's out best scorer out there and really the person who could potentially become that 'all star / superstar' player. That hurts...badly....especially because we don't have Chandler to step in for him. Then he comes back, and shortly thereafter, fractures his thumb. Misses a more games until he finally returned last game.

- We trade our PF in Nene. Just paid him huge money to stay here and be our go to big men, and he's out like that. It was a dumb signing in the first place, but still, expectations were apparently high with him. We get young, raw talent in McGee (LOVE the trade). But, McGee still has a lot to learn. Assuming we re-sign him, I think we'll see great improvement next year. But nonetheless, that is just another hurdle, for a young, young team to get over.

- We lose Timo for a long period of time with a bad ankle injury. He was our key big man. He was improving game by game and was really becoming a force in the paint. He comes back the same way Ty did....'scared' for lack of a better term. He isn't the same player because his ankle still wasn't 100%, and apparently Karl isn't happy with him....so he never sees playing time anymore.

Anyways, I can go on, because there were more injuries (Chandler, Kosta, Brewer, etc...) but I won't because this is getting long.

Throughout ALL of these hurdles, having one of the youngest teams, having the COUNTLESS injuries, we are still currently TIED for 6th place, in a VERY deep Western Conference.

I am not happy with the team. I expect a lot out of all my teams, but that doesn't mean I don't think we are overachieving. Early in the year and preseason, if I was told we'd be in 6th-8th for the playoffs, I'd be pissed. But after everything, I am very content just making the playoffs, and do believe we have 'overachieved'.

Next year though, to overachieve, our defense definitely needs to improve though, no doubt about it.

I'll say this... I think we've underachieved just a bit because we've lost too many games to teams that we shouldn't have lost to - bottom feeders.

However, with all of the injuries we've had throughout the year, all of the roster changes, & the tough schedule due to the lockout, we are probably right where we should be.

1. Gallo is arguably the most talented player on this roster, and he has missed SIGNIFICANT time this season.

2. Wilson Chandler has hardly played because we didn't get his contract done until after the Nene trade, and he's been injured.

3. A lot of people thought this team was built to make a strong run due to the crammed schedule because of our young roster, but I actually see that as a hindrance to a young team. I think the teams with more seasoned vets are better in their preparation & mental toughness to handle the short turnarounds in a lot of games.

I can't stand Kiszla either, and although I agree with him to a point, I think OKC is the only team that will roll us in the first round. The spurs were this good last year and got beat by Memphis last year in the first round. The Spurs are good but old, and I think they can be beat.

Outside of OKC, I don't think any 1 team in the WC is unbeatable at this point.