PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Sign Brandon Stokley

Remedy
04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Brandon Stokley has reunited with Peyton Manning - Stokley has a 1yr deal with Denver

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406997/brandon-stokley-signs-one-year-deal-return-broncos

BroncoooJohnson
04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
per La Canfora

#24 Next Champ
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Good stuff...don't know how good he'll be against man but very reliable in zone and on 3rd downs when we need a conversion

LordTrychon
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Sweeeeeeeet.

:)

MarkB
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Good to hear.

#24 Next Champ
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Like I said in other post...

Good stuff...don't know how good he'll be against man but very reliable in zone and on 3rd downs when we need a conversion

Kilroy
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
i like it.

JakeNbake
04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Love the dude complete football player. Even at his age.

bronx_2003
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Great to hear.

These are the sort of signings I love. He won't be catching 50 yard bombs down the field but the ability to consistently get open and have reliable hands is invaluable.

Den615
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Really no downside to this move. Worst case it is like having an extra receiver coach for training camp.

Blazindro
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Good to hear. It will be fun seeing him and Manning together again. Will see what he still has left, but I'm positive he will bring it.

PowderAddict
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Welcome back Holy Stokley!

InsaneBlaze23
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Great.......

LSIGRAD09
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome back Stokes!

Bonus for knowing Manning well too.

underrated29
04-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Do not like.

I hope willis or someone beats him out at camp. Love stokley but old is old and willis is better.

Bootleg
04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
If he comes in and earns a spot, good for him.

primetime714
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Do not like.

I hope willis or someone beats him out at camp. Love stokley but old is old and willis is better.

Willis is more athletic and has more upside. That doesn't mean he is necessarily better. Why not make him prove it? Stokley when on the field is very dependable he knows where to be and generally gets the job done.

I think there will be a lot of competition for that slot WR spot. Signing Stokley only adds to it and gives them a dependable option if Caldwell and Willis don't step up.

fairweatherh8r
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I think this move is going to really help the other WR's, and probably even the entire offense in learning Manning's system.

Ohenhen12345
04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Will reserve judgment until training camp.

AdamSchefter
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Now release Willis please

AdamSchefter
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Willis has band hands and is afraid of contact. How the Hell is he good? Do you guys watch games because Willis is a joke

DenverBlood
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Wasn't he retired last season? Or still up in Seattle? I'm not sure he can still be very effective. Kind of sounds like just bringing in a vet to push the youngsters in camp.

Hope he still has some left in the tank though.

the0rangecrush
04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
The more signings we do the more confused i get about how the offense will look.

LegionOfVonDoom
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
not sure if posted

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406997/brandon-stokley-signs-one-year-deal-return-broncos

shawinkerpoppin
04-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Can't be mad about a camp body.

Den615
04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Willis has band hands and is afraid of contact. How the Hell is he good? Do you guys watch games because Willis is a joke

Are band hands kind of like Jazz Hands?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llczwzXOh81qa2ofj.gif

LegionOfVonDoom
04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Now release Willis please

Exactly. People fall in love with certain players and they are the best ever. they just don't produce on Sundays. But they are awesome they are great. I hope the best players make the team and get it done.

Azpathfinder
04-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Pretty excited about this! In celebration, I'm re-posting pictures of the custom mcfarlane figure that SyxxSynse made for me, which still sits proudly on my Broncos shelf. Stokley = One of the classiest players to ever wear the orange and blue, IMHO...
:salute:

http://i52.tinypic.com/24n4txf.jpg

flosstein
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Smart signing. Old vet familiar with "new", old vet QB. Can really get WR corp up to speed on route trees, breaks, and anything else Manning likes from his WR's. Also on 3rd down, it's like old shoes and socks.

jaytea11
04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I love this signing!! :thumb:

Do not like.

You're dreaming bro.. seriously.. Wills won't make 52 man roster.

dizzolve
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I74BG0YFKUc

Den615
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I love this signing!! :thumb:

You're dreaming bro.. seriously.. Wills won't make 52 man roster.

Could make the 53 man roster though

;)

Frankenpost
04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Ortman throws into triple coverage on the last play of the game...

Ball deflects into Stokley's hands...game over.

Welcome back #14, we need you. :coffee:

johnkimble
04-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Nothing like bringing back a player you cut on injury settlement 2 years later. I'm kind of disappointed really I'm starting to fell like if we won it all we'd be remembered as the Denver Colts. Hope he helps our guys learn the system but really doesn't play.

dizzolve
04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Nothing like bringing back a player you cut on injury settlement 2 years later. I'm kind of disappointed really I'm starting to fell like if we won it all we'd be remembered as the Denver Colts. Hope he helps our guys learn the system but really doesn't play.

Stokes lives in Denver. He's more of a Bronco than a Colt

DiMenna25
04-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Ortman throws into triple coverage on the last play of the game...

Ball deflects into Stokley's hands...game over.

Welcome back #14, we need you. :coffee:

Excellent post, good contribution :thumb:. :coffee:

Broncoholic JS
04-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Welcome back Stokley!!

captainbronco
04-16-2012, 02:40 PM

i dont understand why people are saying this we have 2 former colt players and the last team Stokes played on was the Broncos if anything we were the new england Broncos when Mcd was here :coffee:

Thors Hammer
04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Not a bad signing, although I don't know how much he'll see the field. Think of him more as a player/coach at this point of his career.

theMileHighGuy
04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
wonderful.

Strength and conditioning is gonna have to stock up on some skelaxin, verapamil, detrol, flomax, and maybe some boniva for this upcoming season.

Welcome back Stokes!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Woopty dooo....dont be surorised if he gets run down by DE's. He was slow when he was here, and he hasn't played in two years.

destrukt
04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Stokely was clutch when he played for Seattle in the playoffs against the New Orleans Saints.... I was so furious that game but because it was Stokely doing the damage I had to take it with a grain of salt.

bronco30
04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
hopefully he can still contribute esp. on the key 3rd downs n if anything else he can help the other WR's learn the offense a little faster...

HUMCALC
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
So as of now, The Broncos have 16 (or so) TEs/WRs. Anyone else think that this is a little much?

Drzaius
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Who cares? I would take every single colt player if it would get us a Super Bowl. There is a Bronco logo on their checks and the Trophy would be here not at the colts. So bring in anybody in who is better than what we have now from wherever.

broncos SB2010
04-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Really no downside to this move. Worst case it is like having an extra receiver coach for training camp.

I agree. Stokley very well might be the #4 or #5 WR on the roster but it's not a bad thing to have a guy like that around when the the two starters, Decker and DT, are both coming into their third seasons and haven't had a lot of experience yet. Stokley showing them how to play like a pro with manning throwing them the ball is going to increase their learning exponentially.

I see the WR corp as Decker, DT, Caldwell, and Stokely as the top 4. Willis, D'Andre Goodwin and Mark Dell will compete for the #5 and #6 spots and that's if they don't draft a WR this year. Willis may just be the one who loses his roster spot being, besides Stokely, he is the oldest WR on the roster, at 28, and has the lowest upside. He has yet to do anything in the NFL so they might just want to go with a younger player. If I had to pick between the three of them, I would go with Dell.

broncos SB2010
04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
So as of now, The Broncos have 16 (or so) TEs/WRs. Anyone else think that this is a little much?

nope. They need enough bodies to field about 3 teams for TC and preseason. We have 11 WR and 5 TE. That looks just perfect to me, maybe even one or 2 more. I am unsure but they might even be moving the roster limit to 90 this season.

broncos SB2010
04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Woopty dooo....dont be surorised if he gets run down by DE's. He was slow when he was here, and he hasn't played in two years.

I don't really expect Stokley to see the field much but his presence will increase the other WR learning quite a bit.

dizzolve
04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Having Stokes here is sort of like taking a shortcut to chemistry.

A- you have young fast talent but don't have chemistry and nuance

B- you have older slower talent but knows the nuances of Peyton's approach

A=B in the short run

A > B in the long run

Makes the 1 year deal appropriate

FlagOnThePlay
04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Welcome home Stokley

Broncoholic3233
04-16-2012, 03:23 PM

:confused:

Peyton Manning. Jacob Tamme.

Those are the only two Colts I recall us signing.

Stokley lives here and has played here. He's played many places. He's not a 'colt'.

So, 2 Colts!!! OH NOOOOOO

Broncoholic3233
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah....and Welcome Home Stokes!!

Good receiver. Definitely will help younger guys too. Very reliable on the field.

crash123go
04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
What a waste of a roster spot, doubt he even makes it out of camp

JakeNbake
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM

NEG THIS MAN! also... I wish I could.

FL BRONCO
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Having Stokes here is sort of like taking a shortcut to chemistry.

A- you have young fast talent but don't have chemistry and nuance

B- you have older slower talent but knows the nuances of Peyton's approach

A=B in the short run

A > B in the long run

Makes the 1 year deal appropriate

I think that that depends on how slow the older talent has gotten. But that is what training camp is their to find out. I agree with what you said and was thinking along the same lines. He could really help out in the immediate future both with the chemistry he already has with manning and with the younger recievers. One year deal does make sense if he still has enough left to make the team. It will also be nice for him to go out as a Bronco with Manning throwing to him. Couldn't be better for him and I will be happy for him if that happens. Welcome back Stokes, good luck.

yaz96
04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone hear how much? Hopefully vet min, so we have more bucks for draft....

80stheman
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
This is great. Even if Stokes is a #4 0r #5 receiver, his experience and rapport with Manning will be very beneficial. And with Royal no longer here we need more experience in the WR position. DT and Decker should have good seasons this year, and playing with Manning can only help them, but it will be great to have a guy like Stokely who has played with Manning before. They know each other very well, and it will be good for #18 to have a WR he knows well.

Papa-pwn
04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
We also re-signed Matt Willis

theMileHighGuy
04-16-2012, 04:30 PM

It doesn't matter if we have 10 receivers beat out Stokely in camp, he will more than likely be given the last spot on the roster anyway.

crash123go
04-16-2012, 04:59 PM
It doesn't matter if we have 10 receivers beat out Stokely in camp, he will more than likely be given the last spot on the roster anyway.

I doubt it, everybody is talking about his experience with manning, ya 6 years ago so it means absolutely nothing. Look I loved stoke when he was here but its time to hang it up, he couldn't stick with Seattle due to health issues and only played two games last year with the giants, he's not gonna come in here and blow it up. He will be lucky if he doesn't get hurt the first week with full contact practices and the young guys who play special teams and contribute more to the team will beat him out

BANJOPICKER1
04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
wonderful.

Strength and conditioning is gonna have to stock up on some skelaxin, verapamil, detrol, flomax, and maybe some boniva for this upcoming season.

Welcome back Stokes!

Did he bring all that in for Stokley or was it for Manning, or our tired out old RB or Elway? :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goz:

Im excited to have Brandon back, makes me think of a rabbits foot and gives Manning another dump off guy.. Love it, I really do!!:thumb::D

xGIHavoc
04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Holy Stokes! Who cares what happens, he's on a 1 year contract and has experience with Peyton. Not much bad can come from this. Good signing.

// / yardo
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm happy he's back. I dig Stokley!

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Willis is more athletic and has more upside. That doesn't mean he is necessarily better. Why not make him prove it? Stokley when on the field is very dependable he knows where to be and generally gets the job done.

I think there will be a lot of competition for that slot WR spot. Signing Stokley only adds to it and gives them a dependable option if Caldwell and Willis don't step up.Willis is mainly used for special teams, PR, or KR.

I think Stokely will get more reps in the offense than Willis he is lights out on 3rd downs.

roushmartin6
04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Stokley is a 1st down machine, glad to have him back. Also it amazes me people wanted to sign TO, Moss, and Heinz Ward who are older but hate the Stokley signing.

BroncosPWNn00bs
04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Thrilled to see him back. 1 of my favorites when he was with us. Always has clutch hands and will be able to teach the younger guys as well. Plus Manning will have a target he is familiar with. Happy to have him back :salute: I'll always love that game against Cincy a few years back :laugh:

rst08tierney
04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Mannings been working out with stokley......who are we to question what's left in the tank

crash123go
04-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Mannings been working out with stokley......who are we to question what's left in the tank

I go with what I see on the field and that's that stokley can't stay on the field playing only 13 games in the past 2 years. At 35 years old I see this being basically a player coach signing, using stokley to help transition our younger receivers to peytons line of scrimmage calls but won't be with us during the season

XXXII&III
04-17-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm stoked that Stokes is back.

What's that they say... old age and treachery beats youth and skill every time...

He may be getting up there in age but his experience, particularly with Peyton's offense, is going to be invaluable for our young guys.

TRUEBRONCOFAN24
04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I have always liked Stokley, he's an easy guy to root for. I remember seeing his touchdown live against the Jets back in 08 to seal the game, great memory. :salute: Also, remember when he got ejected from the game against the Eagles in 09? That was ridiculous... :laugh: Hope this ends up working out well though.

theMileHighGuy
04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
I go with what I see on the field and that's that stokley can't stay on the field playing only 13 games in the past 2 years. At 35 years old I see this being basically a player coach signing, using stokley to help transition our younger receivers to peytons line of scrimmage calls but won't be with us during the season

Manning says he gets a roster spot, he gets a roster spot. He'll be with us the whole season pending broken hips. He should be good for a clutch 3rd down here and there.

InsaneBlaze23
04-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Watch how he end up being one of our top 3 wide outs because of Manning.

AdamWeberOrBust
04-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Dude maybe old but his experience will be invaluable to the young bros on the team.

As peeps have said as well, he's a wily veteran that can pull it out of the hat on 3rd downs.

Go Stokley!

crash123go
04-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Manning says he gets a roster spot, he gets a roster spot. He'll be with us the whole season pending broken hips. He should be good for a clutch 3rd down here and there.

Lol doubt it, he couldn't even stick with any team last year. He won't be able to beat out our younger wr due to the fact they play special teams stokley doesn't

broncos SB2010
04-17-2012, 05:10 AM
I have always liked Stokley, he's an easy guy to root for. I remember seeing his touchdown live against the Jets back in 08 to seal the game, great memory. :salute: Also, remember when he got ejected from the game against the Eagles in 09? That was ridiculous... :laugh: Hope this ends up working out well though.

there was also the time when Marshall was going to do something stupid after a TD and Stokely stopped him saving a penalty. Forgot which game that was. Just shows he he is a smart player who is a good asset to the team whether he sees the field a lot or not.

dukes88
04-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I really hope that he is beat out in camp... I really don't want us to end up with Injuries and rely on him playing a lot of time. He can help out on 3rd down plays if healthy - this should push some of the young players though.

Matymaddog
04-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Love Stokley. He's rarely out of position, a team player, gives it his all, and is a good option on 3rd down. Yes he's old but he runs fantastic routes and can find all the soft spots in zone. It's good competition to have. Not to mention, he has always been more than willing to help other receivers on our roster develop and work on their routes in the past. He worked with Marshall a lot when he was here and the year he was signed was the same year Marshall went from 20 receptions to 102 receptions. He doesn't deserve a ton of credit for that but he definitely deserves some considering all of the offseason reports of him helping out and advising Marshall on route running.

// / yardo
04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Love Stokley. He's rarely out of position, a team player, gives it his all, and is a good option on 3rd down. Yes he's old but he runs fantastic routes and can find all the soft spots in zone. It's good competition to have. Not to mention, he has always been more than willing to help other receivers on our roster develop and work on their routes in the past.

Exactly! He'll most likely be in the rotation in the slot. He's smart at what he does and he'll be a good target on third down when we need that five yard pick up.

Freyaka
04-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Someone doesn't understand the concept of training camp and the need for camp bodies.

FlagOnThePlay
04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I presume he will help the other receivers get up to speed with Payton Manning's reads and play changes at the line of scrimage.

Sort of a player/mentor role that befits a player of his experience.

kingelway7
04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Great signing. This was all but a formality once Manning chose to come to Denver. It was more of a wondering when he would sign rather than if he would sign.

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Great signing. This was all but a formality once Manning chose to come to Denver. It was more of a wondering when he would sign rather than if he would sign.Stokely let Manning stay at his house while the process was taking place.He was a big help and major player with Manning signing with Denver.He seemed very happy he has signed,the guy is a class act.

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.407261!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

Remedy
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.407261!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

Glad to have him back!

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Glad to have him back!Between Stokely and Manning,they have seen just about every defense that was brought their way.

It should be an interesting season dissecting defenses :goz:

Remedy
04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Between Stokely and Manning,they have seen just about every defense that was brought their way.

It should be an interesting season dissecting defenses :goz:

I can't wait to see the surgeon in action... seriously so so so beyond amped up for this year..

VADER72
04-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Brandon is our Welker

Lenz44
04-17-2012, 06:22 PM

http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/8/boo-this-man.gif (http://www.tinygif.com)

one5beast
04-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't get why people are so POd. Just see what he has in TC. If he makes the team great! If he doesn't then he doesn't.

......damn this board.......