PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] AAA Down the Stretch

Broncoholic3233
04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I forget who exactly, but early on, I had quite a few of you tell me AAA didn't deserve the contract he got....KSL being one of them I know....

Anyways, looking at stats this morning of our players, AAA is definitely the MVP down the stretch for our playoff push so far:

Last 10 games we are 7-3

AAA:

MPG: 39.0

FG%: .521

RPG: 4.8

APG: 3.9

PPG: 20.2

Next closet MVP:

Ty Lawson:

MPG: 33.6

FG%: .492

RPG: 2.8

APG: 6.0

PPG: 17.4

While this thread main purpose isn't whether he was worth his contract or not.....I'd say it'd be very hard to argue he isn't now....

But, down the stretch, the 'leader' of this club right now, is taking over. His defense has been good, his offense as shown above, very good.

Another huge contributor in those 10 games.....has been Andre Miller. His dimes have been huge, his leadership just as big.

Broncoholic3233
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I was very hard on Afflalo early in the season, as many fans were. He has always done a good job of adding something to his game every summer. This offseason it was obvious he wanted to be able to create his own shot and be more than filling just a supporting role. While AAA is more likely than anyone to pound the ball into the ground with little to show for it, he has developed a herky jerky game that is part Brandon Roy and part Dwyane Wade. Of course Afflalo is not the passer Roy was, nor is he the finisher that Wade is. He has developed a deadly touch in the lane and an uncanny ability to get a well-balanced shot off under pressure. His efficiency numbers have slid a bit since last season, but part of that was due to a very slow start to the season. He has been incredible in March and April. Monday night in Houston, he moved without the ball better than I have ever seen sneaking behind the defense on at least three occasions to get a layup or draw a foul.

The Nuggets have been rudderless on the floor since Chauncey Billups left town along with Carmelo. Ty Lawson is a talent, but not a leader. Miller can direct the offense, but is also not a rah rah sis boom bah kind of guy. When you watch Afflalo and Harrington you can see that they are reaching the point of taking the results of these games personally. Harrington is not afraid to yell at his teammates if they are not hustling or doing their job and Afflalo is displaying tremendous determination and a will to win.

http://www.roundballminingcompany.com/2012/04/17/recent-realizations-about-the-denver-nuggets/

Atwnbroncfan
04-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Yup no denying, once he shook off the rust of not playing for 8 months he became great. I was wrong, he earned that $.

BluenOrnge4Life
04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
No doubt & I've always been a AAA fan. Dude is pure class and works his tail off; there's no other way around it.

As far as earning contracts go, I'd like to give a shut out to Big AL. Last year he was awful at times and reports were that the Nuggets couldn't wait to dump him and his contract. This year, he's been one of the more consistent, better players on this team.

Broncoholic3233
04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
No doubt but I've always been a AAA fan. Dude is pure class and works his tail off; there's no other way around it.

As far as earning contracts go, I'd like to give a shut out to Big AL. Last year he was awful at times and reports were that the Nuggets couldn't wait to dump him and his contract. This year, he's been one of the more consistent, better players on this team.

Yup. Big Al has stepped up. He's been huge, and a big leader for us.

He is a leader in 6th man of the year too. Not sure where, but he definitely in up there.

The Experience
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
:salute: AAA he has been huge....

I always tell my players since they love to watch the NBA that AAA is the guy they need to watch.

johnlimburg
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
It was me and I still feel the same. I thought around 6 per year would have been great and what he was worth. And considering there was little interest for him league wide I think we went in just a little to much. However there is no denying he has played great as of late. However when we were all saying he wasnt earning his money early on we were dead right. He was pretty bad to start the year.

InElwayWeTrust
04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
I critisized his play but didn't say he didn't deserve the contract. Nene is the one that didn't deserve the contract.

And AAA deserved to be criticized early, he was playing horrible. But yes he has been awesome down the stretch, hopefully he continues into the playoffs.

:salute: to AAA!

Also, Faried is the MVP. :P

johnlimburg
04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Nene should have never got that much. And with that trade we save the ammesty for somone else done the road.

InElwayWeTrust
04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Nene should have never got that much. And with that trade we save the ammesty for somone else done the road.

So it transfers? I thought it was just this year. That's awesome news that we can use it whenever.

nic.zeman24
04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

I was shocked when we gave him that much money in the first place. I understood the contract we gave AAA we needed to pay him his due and I think he is averaging 18 points per game over the last 32.

AAA has earned his due but he also earned the criticism he got in the beginning he was playing terrible. He is on fire now however.

Next is Ty Lawson, he should be paid before anyone else on this team too.

Broncoholic3233
04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
It was me and I still feel the same. I thought around 6 per year would have been great and what he was worth. And considering there was little interest for him league wide I think we went in just a little to much. However there is no denying he has played great as of late. However when we were all saying he wasnt earning his money early on we were dead right. He was pretty bad to start the year.

And you are pretty much alone thinking he doesn't deserve what he is making, I'd guess.

He's been our best player down the stretch when it matters. Putting up 20+ points a game. He's definitely making a reasonable amount.

But if you go by that....you must think all of our newly signed players are overpaid....right?

(Not trying to pick a fight, just asking)

Broncoholic3233
04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
So it transfers? I thought it was just this year. That's awesome news that we can use it whenever.

It'll be used on Birdman in the off-season.

InElwayWeTrust
04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
It'll be used on Birdman in the off-season.

Probably. :(

I like Birdman, he isnt great but he's a lot better than people on here give him credit for. He does what hes supposed to do.

He is way overpaid though.

johnlimburg
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Teams get one under the new CBA. We can use it now or in 4 years. I don't think it is worth using on Birdman as his cap number is not huge anyway. And I like Birdman. He is decent. He gets ripped on a lot but he provides some good minutes here and there when he gets to play.

I was shocked when we gave him that much money in the first place. I understood the contract we gave AAA we needed to pay him his due and I think he is averaging 18 points per game over the last 32.

AAA has earned his due but he also earned the criticism he got in the beginning he was playing terrible. He is on fire now however.

Next is Ty Lawson, he should be paid before anyone else on this team too.

I was shocked with AAA number because of the interest league wide. He was one of the last "big" free agent signings and there were very little rumors about him going anywhere else. APparently the Lakers were interested but for a backup role. That is why I thought it was wierd he got a bit much.

And you are pretty much alone thinking he doesn't deserve what he is making, I'd guess.

He's been our best player down the stretch when it matters. Putting up 20+ points a game. He's definitely making a reasonable amount.

But if you go by that....you must think all of our newly signed players are overpaid....right?

(Not trying to pick a fight, just asking)

I think we have a few players who are overpaid. It starts with AAA and goes to Andre Miller and Koufas. Also Birdman. I just don't think AAA ever showed to be worth that much. At the start of the year when he was awful he looked like he did not deserve it all. However as of late he is earning it. However I still don't get why we had to give him that much. Due to little interest shown in him league wide and his previous play. However in saying that I think AAA's agent had good leverage because we wanted him so much.

BluenOrnge4Life
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_20420128/improved-arron-afflalo-credits-nuggets-teammates

Improved Arron Afflalo credits Nuggets teammates
By Christopher Dempsey
The Denver Post

There was a point in the Nuggets' season where many wondered if the weight of living up to a big, new contract might get the best of Arron Afflalo.

That seems so long ago.

Lately, when the Nuggets have needed their shooting guard most, he has delivered. And delivered. And delivered some more.

April ought to be called Arron Afflalo Appreciation Month around the Pepsi Center. The Nuggets shooting guard has been just short of spectacular. In the midst of a playoff run, he has averaged 20.3 points on 51.5 percent shooting, 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists and has shot 47.2 percent from 3-point range.

"Shooting the ball well, he's defending, he's out there working," guard Andre Miller said. "He deserves everything that's coming to him as far as his hustle and his professionalism. He's playing good basketball."

Afflalo is playing his best basketball of the season. The Nuggets have won four of their last five games to move up from eighth to sixth in the Western Conference. In those games, Afflalo averaged 20 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists.

Asked to explain his run of success, Afflalo shrugged.

"Just being confident in my shot and my playmaking ability. ... When you're on the court with Ty (Lawson) and Andre and (Danilo Gallinari), these guys are playmakers, but they are unselfish playmakers. So, for a shooting guard, that's wonderful."

Afflalo scored 17 points in the first half against Houston on Monday night, 12 of those in a second quarter when the otherwise cold-shooting Nuggets were in danger of getting blown out. Denver went into the half down by seven. The Nuggets regrouped to pull out a 105-102 victory, perhaps their biggest of the season.

"We're not in the game if he doesn't have the first half he had," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "He took very much a big-time offensive responsibility to make that game close."

Karl pointed toward better chemistry between Afflalo and Lawson as a contributor to former UCLA standout Afflalo's success.

"It just seems that Afflalo and Ty are getting better communication," Karl said. "Their flow, and I think Gallo coming back has kind of released their stress a little bit of having to play and make every decision. His confidence seems to be at a great level, and we've been riding him."

After a slow start, Afflalo's minutes, field-goal percentage, 3-pointers made, assists, rebounds and points per game have increased each month. He is averaging 38.9 minutes in April and is taking a season-high 14.7 shots per game.

"I'm definitely looking for my shot and looking to make plays in general more so than just my shot," Afflalo said. "But that's a part of being aggressive. I attribute that to working with the coaches and keeping my game tight. But, also I have to give a lot of appreciation to my teammates because we have an unselfish team."

The Experience
04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_20420128/improved-arron-afflalo-credits-nuggets-teammates

Improved Arron Afflalo credits Nuggets teammates
By Christopher Dempsey
The Denver Post

Great Article.

All Class....