PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown unimpressed by 'ordinary' Trent Richardson

RaiderFanSD
04-26-2012, 03:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8289f671/article/jim-brown-unimpressed-by-ordinary-trent-richardson?module=HP11_headline_stack

There are plenty of teams interested in the services of Alabama star Trent Richardson, but the greatest rusher of them all doesn't get the appeal.

In a guest spot on ESPN Radio (via PFT), Jim Brown downplayed Richardson's game and lamented the NFL's move toward a more pass-happy culture.

“I’m not overwhelmed with it,” Brown said of the prospect his former team, the Cleveland Browns, could select Richardson. “The problem is that he’s ordinary. I think he’s ordinary.”

What's ordinary about Richardson? "The size, the speed, his moves," he said.

Brown suggested that if Richardson couldn't start ahead of Saints running back Mark Ingram at Alabama (another guy that bores him), there's no reason to think he'll be a better player than Ingram in the pros.

Brown doesn't see many impact rushers at all in the modern NFL.

“When I watch football today I see a game of quarterbacks,” he said. “Protecting quarterbacks, throwing the ball, short passes, long passes, all kinds of passes.”

Brown might come off as a crank, but hey, it's Jim Brown. The man can say what he wants.

Thoughts? I agree with him personally, I don't think he's as good as many suggest.

johnlimburg
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
That is a dumb way to put it. Eluding that because he was the backup at Bama means he wont be better in the pros. It makes 0 sense. Richardson in the top 5 is laughable and it will be another laugher on the Browns if they make that pick. Same for amount the next few teams. I reckon 10-18 should be his range and it would not suprise me if he falls in that area.

JakeNbake
04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
He said he reminds him of Emit Smith. Who would have been described the same way during his time.

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Tom Brady was a backup in college,now he is one one the best QBs in the NFL.It depends how hard you work and how much time you spend to get better imo.

I guess Tim Brown would rather go with another player.

PhoenixDread
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Don't know if ALL the RBs are regular. I think Peterson is on a level of his own. Just needs to stay healthy

RaiderFanSD
04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't see AP or DMC ability in him. Definitely not worth a top 5 pick, especially with the way the role of RB's is being diminished. Better be an AP type player if their a top 5 RB, and I don't see it.

RaiderFanSD
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Fifty years after Cleveland drafted Ernie Davis, they've traded up to No. 3 to draft another RB, Trent Richardson.

Vikings got the Browns picks in rounds 1, 4, 5, 7. Cleveland gets the No. 3 overall pick.

Mistake imo

#24 Next Champ
04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't see AP or DMC ability in him. Definitely not worth a top 5 pick, especially with the way the role of RB's is being diminished. Better be an AP type player if their a top 5 RB, and I don't see it.

Ya I have to agree here ...

Charlie Brown
04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Richardson was the only choice the Browns could make with their first selection - I don't like that they traded up for him, though.

BroncosAreMyFavorite
04-26-2012, 08:46 PM
That is a dumb way to put it. Eluding that because he was the backup at Bama means he wont be better in the pros. It makes 0 sense. Richardson in the top 5 is laughable and it will be another laugher on the Browns if they make that pick. Same for amount the next few teams. I reckon 10-18 should be his range and it would not suprise me if he falls in that area.

Todd helton was the starting QB at Tennessee and Peyton Manning backed him. Manning will never be as good as Todd Helton :D All Joking aside. Jim Brown does not compliment very many RBs. Richardson will have a good career even though Cleveland did not need to trade up for him.

Good Luck Browns :helmet:

9erEmpire
04-27-2012, 12:09 AM
His runs look a lot like Emmitt. Sees the holes and hit them.

He gets hit 2 or 3 times in his highlights and takes it off. I don't know if he can brush off NFL type linemans.

91bronco
04-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I like Richardson A LOT. I think a lot of you are underestimating what he brings to the table. For a runningback of his size he has some wiggle and speed- he's very well rounded with good size. He is definitely more powerful than DMC or AP. What can seperate him from the above mentioned backs would be staying healthy and able to play (DMC) and holding onto the ball (AP). I do not view DMC as an elite back simply because of how often he gets injured. I'm curious to see what he can accomplish in the league. That being said, I do think he went a little too high.

demosthenes9
04-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Ummm, sorry Jim, but the BEST running back to ever play the game happens to disagree with you :)

Barry Sanders: Trent Richardson is Not “Ordinary”

In response to Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown’s comments on Alabama’s Trent Richardson, long-time Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders says that the Browns’ recent third-overall selection is far from “ordinary.”

“I see a guy built in my frame, around 5-foot-10, built very well,” said Sanders. “He’s one of those smaller guys who could be one those guys who can run inside. He ran well inside in college. Kind of reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew — very compact who runs a lot bigger than he is.”

Sanders, who retired as the second-leading rusher in NFL history, made a living out of being a diminutive three-down, home run-hitting back. While the style of play has changed since he (and Brown) played, Sanders stated that the lack of “impact” running backs in the league could be due to play-calling. Per Sanders, Richardson, who excelled in the SEC, has the potential to step into the NFL and be an impact player from Day One.

Charlie Brown
04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Ummm, sorry Jim, but the BEST running back to ever play the game happens to disagree with you :)

Sorry Barry Sanders, but the GREATEST running back of all time disagrees with you.

demosthenes9
04-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Sorry Barry Sanders, but the GREATEST running back of all time disagrees with you.

Pffft, Brown WAS the greatest, right up until Barry Sanders came along :)

91bronco
04-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm just going to call it like I see it- Jim Browns comments come across as sour grapes from a cranky old man. I'm sorry, I know what he means to the game but it is what it is.