PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Comments on Doug Martin

Gsam
04-26-2012, 09:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/57693/reasons-bucs-wanted-martin-in-first-round

TAMPA, Fla. -- General manager Mark Dominik and coach Greg Schiano just spoke about Boise State running back Doug Martin, who they drafted with the 31st overall pick Thursday night.

Funny, but they described him pretty much the way they did when talking about Alabama safety Mark Barron, who they took at No. 7 overall. They described him as a leader, team captain and a guy who played for a very successful college program. In other words, he fits the profile of the new "Buccaneer Man."

[+] Enlarge

Kirby Lee/US PRESSWIRE
New Bucs coach Greg Schiano is excited about "the totality of what" Doug Martin can do.That’s great. The Bucs needed to add things like character and leadership. They also needed to add something to a backfield that had LeGarrette Blount and not much else.

Schiano used the phrases “all-around back’’ and “the totality of what he can do’’ in describing Martin. That’s significant. Blount has some good qualities (power running), but struggled as a pass blocker and receiver the past two seasons. Schiano also used the term “three-down back’’ about Martin. In other words, Blount will still have a role, but Martin is going to spend more time on the field.

Schiano smiled as he was asked if Martin reminded him of Baltimore’s Ray Rice, who he coached at Rutgers.

“I do see some of it,’’ Schiano said. “To tell you the truth I do. I see a guy who runs hard and plays hard.’’

There was one other ulterior motive in giving up their second-round choice and a fourth-round pick in return for the right to take Martin at the end of the first round, while sliding down to later in the fourth round.Dominik pointed to the new collective bargaining agreement. In that, first-round picks can sign five-year contracts. Players taken after the first round can’t sign deals longer than four years.

Sounds like the Bucs are planning on having Martin around for a long time.

jlhawkins9
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
That will Make me sick if he turns out to be ray rice

KWHIT97
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Denver is the laughing stock of the NFL right now. Plain and simple!

Cyrend
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM

I almost can't believe this is serious...

InsaneBlaze23
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM

So we will see whose the laughing stock, when come February we are holding up the trophy.

The only person laughing is you a suppose it Broncos and Mike Mayock. Is that the NFL?

youmind
04-26-2012, 10:04 PM
We are the joke of the first night.. The network crews lols kinda firm that up.. Our phone will be ringing off the hook tomorrow with other teams trying to rip us off...

and one phone call from peytons house to SF to schedule the visit he never had..

youmind
04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Trophy.. lol you have got to be kidding.. this team will not win the super bowl. Ill be you a million dollars.

InsaneBlaze23
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
This team really does have piss poor fans.

IA_Broncosfan53
04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
what a joke. lost so much value in both trades. incompetent leadership right now.

socalpeytonfan
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
This forum is a scary place right now. o_o

HavoK471
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks, Chiefs are being laughed at way more than the Broncos

The Broncos didn't screw up an insane amount.

Chillez
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
This team really does have piss poor fans.

Every fan base has these trust me.

InsaneBlaze23
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
This forum is a scary place right now. o_o

It's not scary, you just get to see what fans actually have faith in the front office.

IA_Broncosfan53
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
why should the fans have faith in xanders? what has be done, exactly?

InsaneBlaze23
04-26-2012, 10:23 PM

Do you know how the process works?

Do you know who has final say in who is drafted, who is signed?

John Elway does, before Elway McDaniels had the power.

You point your finger at Xanders if you want, but he is just the yes man in the front office.

Caliraiderhater
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
All I know is they claim that their board looks relatively the same as it did at 25. They had a big enough group of players at 25 to move back twice and truly believe they will get a guy at 36 that they would have drafted at 25. If thats the case, WHY NOT trade back even if the value isn't great? Also now we have 3 4th round picks which could easily be used at currency to acquire possible another 2nd round pick giving us 3. I think its great, why force anything when you believe you will get a guy 11 picks later.

And if we stay with 3 4th round picks that not horrible. Do you remember the last time we drafted 3 players in the 4th round? 2 of them turned out to be Elvis Dumervil & Brandon Marshall. Have faith!!!

RealBronco
04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
That will Make me sick if he turns out to be ray rice

He will.

but we have a ton of picks pretty close together so i think we'll be able to build a solid program.

i really wanted Martin to remain a Bronco, but i'm happy for him. And we can still get some great guys.

........and hopefully Kellen Moore :D

ERoyal248
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

LOL, you can't be serious.

ERoyal248
04-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Whose to say he has final say, and i'll take his word over the armchair GM's.

jhildebrand
04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Denver, in making two trades, should have come out with two extra picks. They came out with one.

They didn't even get good value and Elway acknowledged as much. They swapped fourths to move back 5 spots.

What remains to be seen is if some of this was done in part because of the albatross that is the Manning contract!

crash123go
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I almost can't believe this is serious...
Me either, how some of these fans are already in full panic mode lol

Hoserman117
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Waaaaaahhhh.......

jhildebrand
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Here is what concerns me.

Elway says the draft board at 36 is identical as they had it for #25.

That means they rate and value no less than 11 players, who are still available, in a way that none of the 31 other teams in the league do.

Either Elway and company know way more than the rest of the league; or, they are selling a bunch of bull!

They must feel it is about quantity over quality or they don't want the burden of a first round player/contract with the ambiguity/uncertainty of how much they will pay Peyton on the $96 million.

PioneerBroncFan
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks, Chiefs are being laughed at way more than the Broncos

The Broncos didn't screw up an insane amount.

You know I really like what the Browns did, they will be better immediately. The got by far the best RB and most ready QB in this years draft. Pretty good IMO no matter what they gave up. They may end up with the 2012 draft trifecta with a future Probowler at RB, QB and Reciever.

Now as for the Dolphins, Seahawks, and Chiefs LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

theshiverman
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM

That means they rate and value no less than 11 players, who are still available, in a way that none of the 31 other teams in the league do.

Either Elway and company know way more than the rest of the league; or, they are selling a bunch of bull!

They must feel it is about quantity over quality or they don't want the burden of a first round player/contract with the ambiguity/uncertainty of how much they will pay Peyton on the $96 million.

I think the players they wanted got scooped up before they even got to the 25th pick, so they just traded out for picks and position for day two and three, i think he was just saying all that in the presser to try and counter the disapointment of the fans that wanted them to draft a guy in the 1st, either way they have a ton of picks comming up in the real meaty part of the draft so the fans will get all pumped up again for round two tomorrow night.

Gsam
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM
I think the players they wanted got scooped up before they even got to the 25th pick, so they just traded out for picks and position for day two and three, i think he was just saying all that in the presser to try and counter the disapointment of the fans that wanted them to draft a guy in the 1st, either way they have a ton of picks comming up in the real meaty part of the draft so the fans will get all pumped up again for round two tomorrow night.

I agree, round #1 is for highlight clips, championships are won in rounds 2-4.

ThreeGees
04-26-2012, 11:16 PM

Really? We picked up an extra fourth and at #36 we are still in position to get Still/Worthy at DT or Jenkins/Minnifield at DB. We lose nothing and gain savings towards our salary cap

dizzolve
04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
:smash: At least we had a 1st round pick to trade:smash:

Hoserman117
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM

This just doesn't make sense....

25th pick in 2011: 4 years 7.6 mill, 4.6 guaranteed

36th pick in 2011: 4 years 5.22 mill, 3.8 guaranteed
101st pick in 2011: 4 years 2.5 mill, .448 guaranteed (signing bonus)

Would you look at that...it's more expensive for the 36th and 101st picks than the 25th :goofy:

donnyrides
04-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Denver knows they want Worthy. He was the target after about pick 20. With only the Rams (who drafted a DT in the 1st), colts (who will pick Luck's old TE from stanford), and The ravens (who already drafted Cody last year and play 3-4) ahead of Denver in the 2nd rd, Worthy is a lock. They improved their 4th round pick 25 spots to boot. Denver should still get Lemicheal James (spelling) in the second and maybe Cousins in the 3rd or 4th. The only thing I wish they would have done was get 1 more pick, but oh well. Take what you can get I guess.

Rarelyoffended
04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Elway is suspect

rogue719
04-27-2012, 02:31 AM

Laughing stock?

Us and the Ravens, right? And the Ravens are a team that has done an outstanding job building through the draft, am I right?

In a draft that is deep in areas we need, we managed to get a couple of extra picks by NOT taking a first round pick, and you think we are a laughing stock?

Apoc13
04-27-2012, 02:54 AM
This just doesn't make sense....

25th pick in 2011: 4 years 7.6 mill, 4.6 guaranteed

36th pick in 2011: 4 years 5.22 mill, 3.8 guaranteed
101st pick in 2011: 4 years 2.5 mill, .448 guaranteed (signing bonus)

Would you look at that...it's more expensive for the 36th and 101st picks than the 25th :goofy:

you have to also factor in that the extra player is one less roster spot...what was the cost of the player they replace?...it's too early to tell what the overall cost is regardless

Apoc13
04-27-2012, 02:57 AM

holy over reaction, batman...i'm not thrilled with the deals but the draft isn;t over and even monday morning we'll really have no clue how good the draft was...the draft is a huge craphoot...the colts may end up being the laughing stock of this draft for all we know

johnlimburg
04-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Nice overdrafting by the Bucs. Martin will be good. Not worthy of a first round pick though. 2nd-3rd rounder. Will be a nice back to have in Tampa however Blouts biggest problem was 3rd down play. Blocking and recieving. Yet Martin is inexperienced and has question marks in those areas. Bad move by them. They needed defense, defense and more defense. They should have taken Zach Brown.

SBboundBRONCOS
04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
We are the joke of the first night.. The network crews lols kinda firm that up.. Our phone will be ringing off the hook tomorrow with other teams trying to rip us off...

and one phone call from peytons house to SF to schedule the visit he never had..

you are a joke,

KC took a workout warrior DT, SEA reached and so did others

you dont know much do you? you honestly think peyton can call SF, and if not why even bring up such a stupid notion

RealBronco
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Nice overdrafting by the Bucs. Martin will be good. Not worthy of a first round pick though. 2nd-3rd rounder. Will be a nice back to have in Tampa however Blouts biggest problem was 3rd down play. Blocking and recieving. Yet Martin is inexperienced and has question marks in those areas. Bad move by them. They needed defense, defense and more defense. They should have taken Zach Brown.

LOL.

i think you missed all the experts who said he's an excellent pass blocker. I don't know where the question marks at receiving come from. Maybe you. He has clearly proven he can catch, but I've gone over this several times in other threads already. Just watch the combine, watch some game tape, then probably make that comment about what many have said is the most well-rounded back in the draft.

lol....question marks. you so funny.

johnlimburg
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
LOL.

i think you missed all the experts who said he's an excellent pass blocker. I don't know where the question marks at receiving come from. Maybe you. He has clearly proven he can catch, but I've gone over this several times in other threads already. Just watch the combine, watch some game tape, then probably make that comment about what many have said is the most well-rounded back in the draft.

lol....question marks. you so funny.

I get it. You are a Boise fan and it seems whenever there is a negative spoken about a Boise player you get a little angry. Get a little condescending to try to make it seem like everyone is not on your level of understanding on the players. However you need to take the bias out and look from a different point of view.

There ARE question marks in those areas. You want to look at these "experts" comments prior to the senior bowl where Doug Martin done great blocking and you will see a different sentiment. There were question marks in the area. I am not one to put much stock into the senior bowls or combine. I tend to care more about what they done on the football field. And with that you see what I seen. As a pass blocker he puts max effort. He is willing. But his understanding and technique is questionable. One main reason why I do not get the pick is this is where the Bucs needed help. And they had an awful defense.

And everyone has there own thoughts on players. I think he was a 2nd to 3rd round player. Like it was thought when the actual football season finished. I don't see him being worthy of a first round. I would not call him a special running back. He is solid. But the lack of speed and home run hitting ability is not there. The guy who went after Doug though I would call special. David Wilson is special. I think Doug was over drafted. I think he will be a good player. However that doesn't mean I don't think he was over drafted.

Team-Tebow
04-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Im glad von miller will be on there