PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Please Retire Jamie Moyer

Broncoholic JS
05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Im sorry but Jamie Moyer needs to retire, the Rockies would be better off. I dont know if that was a smart signing by us in the offseason. What does everyone think?

Broncoholic3233
05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I can't stand him as a pitcher, I really can't.

His ERA was decent until tonight...but sorry....not being able to go 6 innings isn't acceptable.

I want him gone badly. Let our young pitchers get some work at the big league level.

The Experience
05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
No reason to keep him around. We aren't gonna be a playoff team

Atwnbroncfan
05-05-2012, 09:55 PM
He fits right in with this pitching staff. Offering extending batting practice to the opposing team. Only player on this rotation that is worth a damn is Niasco and maybe Guthrie if he ever decides to realize he isn't a pitcher for the People's Republic of Boulder.

CinnaMunMun
05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
If you cut a Rockies pitcher for not going 6 innings, we will have no pitchers....

Broncoholic3233
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I'll take my chances with Pitchers who actually have a chance on being on the roster next year.

Guthrie and Nico can go 6+ easily.

Pomeranz is catching on as well.

CinnaMunMun
05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I'll take my chances with Pitchers who actually have a chance on being on the roster next year.

Guthrie and Nico can go 6+ easily.

Pomeranz is catching on as well.

Guthrie hasn't gone 6+ with quality consistently most of his games, Nicasio is our best pitcher and he is a #3/4 on most teams, and Pom is catching on but not very quickly.

Plus Moyer isn't taking one of their spots. The guy until tonight has been our most consistent guy, sadly enough. He is like a Josh Fogg.

Broncoholic3233
05-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't believe he has though.

Moyer - 46 hits, 21 runs, 15 earned runs

Nicasio - 35 hits, 14 runs, 14 earned runs

Pomeranz - 20 hits, 10 runs, 9 earned runs

I think both those guys better, and even before tonight starts, Nicasio was right on par, with less hits.

Broncoholic3233
05-05-2012, 10:31 PM
And like I said before, I'd rather the young guys get a shot.

We obviously aren't going far if we can't hold onto 5-0 and 6-0 leads.

Give me: Nicasio, Guthrie, Pomeranz, White, Chatwood/Friedrich

And in little under a month, DLR will be back, and be our Ace. And I believe he is very capable of being an Ace, and worst #2.

DenverBlood
05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I was defending him in the beginning. But now he had the record for oldest starter to win and his last two starts have been terrible. At this point there is really no reason to keep him on the roster over giving youngsters experience. Even if they aren't doing better their potential is way higher and Moyer most likely is retiring after this season anyway. So if this team is going to suck there is no reason to keep him on.

Broncoholic3233
05-06-2012, 11:53 AM
"That was all on Jamie Moyer. He woke a sleeping giant tonight,'' Chipper, a young whippersnapper of 40, told MLB.com "He started chirping and it was all downhill from there. He accused me opf relaying a sign down 6-2 with a 3-0 count to Brian McCann. I have never relayed a sign to anyone while I'm on second base.''

Chipper was just warming up. He also said, "You question our integrity, that's wrong. I've never accused him of doctoring a baseball. I've never accused him of over-milligraming, nothing. That's (garbage) ... I didn't see any signs on the 900-foot homers that were hit.''

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/18978462/middle-aged-melee-chipper-adds-spice-to-farewell-tour-with-moyer-takedown

Way to go, Jamie, not a smart move, obviously. :brick:

CinnaMunMun
05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/18978462/middle-aged-melee-chipper-adds-spice-to-farewell-tour-with-moyer-takedown

Way to go, Jamie, not a smart move, obviously. :brick:

Odd. Both players are ancient veterans, so Moyer should know what it would look like, and at the same time Chipper isn't known to be that kind of guy. Very odd.

Now that Nicasio and Moyer have the same number of starts:

Moyer: 4.01 ERA, 6 GS, 33.2 IP, .324 avg, 1.66 WHIP
Nicasio: 5.35 ERA, 6 GS, 33.2 IP, .326 avg, 1.63 WHIP

Pomeranz (projected 6 games): 4.05 ERA, 30 IP, .267 avg, 1.60 WHIP

I'm sorry, while Moyer isn't a great pitcher, he isn't the problem. Although if he doesn't shape up, he will be the odd man out come June when De la Rosa is back.

Broncoholic3233
05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Odd. Both players are ancient veterans, so Moyer should know what it would look like, and at the same time Chipper isn't known to be that kind of guy. Very odd.

Now that Nicasio and Moyer have the same number of starts:

Moyer: 4.01 ERA, 6 GS, 33.2 IP, .324 avg, 1.66 WHIP
Nicasio: 5.35 ERA, 6 GS, 33.2 IP, .326 avg, 1.63 WHIP

Pomeranz (projected 6 games): 4.05 ERA, 30 IP, .267 avg, 1.60 WHIP

I'm sorry, while Moyer isn't a great pitcher, he isn't the problem. Although if he doesn't shape up, he will be the odd man out come June when De la Rosa is back.

Well you are now the lone man defending him.

He should not be on this team.

DenverBlood
05-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't get me wrong I still like Moyer and wish he would do well it's just starting to seem pointless. It's like taking a pile of dung and trying to debate what smells best.

His stats may be slightly the best but that just shows us how poor this pitching staff is. It's pretty sad. But Moyer will be gone after this season so if we aren't winning it's kind of pointless.

CinnaMunMun
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Well you are now the lone man defending him.

He should not be on this team.

I am the lone ranger! :laugh:

He just really reminds me of Josh Fogg back in 07. Vet who gives you a (usually) consistent #5 spot.

Broncoholic3233
05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I am the lone ranger! :laugh:

He just really reminds me of Josh Fogg back in 07. Vet who gives you a (usually) consistent #5 spot.

Haha, you like to be that lone guy. Tracy, now Moyer.

But you know my reasoning. It's not because of Moyer itself. I just want the young talent in.

He's been better than I thought, but still, he's not been good enough to keep a spot over the young guys.

That is my whole point :P

CinnaMunMun
05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Haha, you like to be that lone guy. Tracy, now Moyer.

But you know my reasoning. It's not because of Moyer itself. I just want the young talent in.

He's been better than I thought, but still, he's not been good enough to keep a spot over the young guys.

That is my whole point :P

Yea, I totally understand. Guthrie isn't going to be able to make his start on Tuesday, so hopefully we can see what White and Torres can do, which could lead to one thing....;)

BroncoFanBoy
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't say Moyer has been terrible. In fact, I'm actually very impressed that his ERA isn't worse, knowing the fact his fastball is horrible, and he pitches at a hitter friendly Coors Field.

Old Sweater
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Im sorry but Jamie Moyer needs to retire, the Rockies would be better off. I dont know if that was a smart signing by us in the offseason. What does everyone think?

Revenue wise it was a great signing. He probably has covered his contract already with all the attention an old guy gets from us old guys.

Performance wise, up to that win he was the most consistent SP the Rockies had going. Since that, he better kick it in gear because I don't see him holding a spot with the kids doing better and De La Rosa close to returning.