PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos fire Brian Xanders

CoryWinget81
05-07-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-fire-gm-brian-xanders-after-three-years

-Rod-
05-07-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-fire-gm-brian-xanders-after-three-years

Barely a week after the NFL draft, the Broncos today fired general manager Brian Xanders, according to an NFL source. Xanders was in his fourth year in the position.

Xanders helped spearhead the Broncos' draft in 2011, but executive vice president John Elway took on a more prominent role this year after getting his feet wet in his first year on the job.

Xanders came to the Broncos as assistant general manager in 2008 under head coach Mike Shanahan. He was promoted to general manager the next season and served in that role under head coach Josh McDaniels before working alongside Elway and head coach John Fox last season. Xanders worked 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in a variety of coaching, player personnel and football operations positions.

Xanders' main contribution to the franchise was his involvement in the 2011 draft, which was a consensus among Xanders, Elway and Fox. The Broncos chose linebacker Von Miller with the No. 1 pick in that draft and Miller won defensive rookie of the year. That class went downhill from there, however. The Broncos took safety Rahim Moore and right tackle Orlando Franklin in the second round. Denver took middle linebacker Nat Irving in the third round, safety Quinton Carter and tight end Julius Thomas in the fourth round. Other than Miller, Franklin was the only significant contributor to the team this past season.

Maybe this draft wasn't so smooth after all.

The questionable value of the trades probably did not help.

Blondie79
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
wow was just about to post this.

CoryWinget81
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Barely a week after the NFL draft, the Broncos today fired general manager Brian Xanders, according to an NFL source. Xanders was in his fourth year in the position.
Xanders helped spearhead the Broncos' draft in 2011, but executive vice president John Elway took on a more prominent role this year after getting his feet wet in his first year on the job.
Xanders came to the Broncos as assistant general manager in 2008 under head coach Mike Shanahan. He was promoted to general manager the next season and served in that role under head coach Josh McDaniels before working alongside Elway and head coach John Fox last season. Xanders worked 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in a variety of coaching, player personnel and football operations positions.
Xanders' main contribution to the franchise was his involvement in the 2011 draft, which was a consensus among Xanders, Elway and Fox. The Broncos chose linebacker Von Miller with the No. 1 pick in that draft and Miller won defensive rookie of the year. That class went downhill from there, however. The Broncos took safety Rahim Moore and right tackle Orlando Franklin in the second round. Denver took middle linebacker Nat Irving in the third round, safety Quinton Carter and tight end Julius Thomas in the fourth round. Other than Miller, Franklin was the only significant contributor to the team this past season.

Read more: Broncos fire GM Brian Xanders after three years in Denver - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-fire-gm-brian-xanders-after-three-years#ixzz1uEIJHC81
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Atwnbroncfan
05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
He and Elway must not have seen eye to eye. Elway is all in.

berlownacyo7s
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Hmmm, seems to be kinda odd with the timing of this move. Oh well, I was never super excited about Xanders anyways. Wonder if Elway wants to pick his own GM.

BroncoooJohnson
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
That's a shocker. Damn.

Peyton&Eli_fan
05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow. Did anyone see this coming?

BroncoooJohnson
I love how they don't mention the contributions of Carter or Harris. Without either of them our season isn't the same.

fairweatherh8r
I just hope we bring in a new GM, I love Elway but he is not ready to run the show.

Remedy
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Probably going a new direction w/ scouting etc and wanted a new guy in place... before the new college season etc?

one5beast
05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Whoa! Did not see that one coming. Is he responsible for those questionable trades? I hope we bring in someone better.

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Sounds like Elway and Xanders didn't exactly see eye to eye. Middle management loses every time. Xanders wants a job where he makes all the calls and that may be a tough one nowadays.

BroncosPWNn00bs
Well this is kinda sad. I actually didn't hate him like most did. Plus, I enjoyed saying EFX :fight:

-Rod-
Elway is running the show. This is probably why Xanders was fired. Maybe Xanders disagreed with some of the draft choices, or maybe the Broncos were not happy with this last draft.

Peyton&Eli_fan
Odd timing to bring in someone new. Probably a lot of the good ones were snatched up right after the year ended.

Frenchy180
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
This raises so many questions... I don't even know where to start honestly.

Remedy
Mark Kiszla ‏ @markkiszla
News: Xanders out as Broncos GM. Views: If you were touched by McDaniels you are either gone or on borrowed time.

sleen
Hmm this seems to suggest that there may be some truth to the rumors that the draft didn't go they way they planned...

Dan in the Can
05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Hmm this seems to suggest that there may be some truth to the rumors that the draft didn't go they way they planned...

That's what I was just gonna say. Wonder if Elway will bring back Sundquist.

Eddiemac730
05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm shocked but not surprised....

Remedy
05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi
I'm told the Broncos have considered this move for some time. Wanted to wait until after the draft. Tough biz.

thuglife
05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Not surprised or shocked he was an average GM at best.

Blondie79
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
there saying the broncos will not replace the GM position..so essentially its now Elway.

Dan in the Can
05-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Ha! Just turned on the Fan and they are talking about Sundquist too.

JCJE
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
the writing was on the wall when they hired that new guy to handle all of the contracts. That was supposed to be one of Brian's strong suites.

jetdrumz
Dang, tough break.

Remedy
there saying the broncos will not replace the GM position..so essentially its now Elway.

Had a feeling that would happen.

Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos
Since January, Broncos have promoted Matt Russell to director of player personnel and hired Mike Sullivan to handle negotiations. ...

kind of seems they brought in people into positions to aid and Elway will take over the reigns.

jetdrumz
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
No more EFX.....bummer.

Dan in the Can
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Had a feeling that would happen.

Lindsay Jones ‏ @PostBroncos
Since January, Broncos have promoted Matt Russell to director of player personnel and hired Mike Sullivan to handle negotiations. ...

kind of seems they brought in people into positions to aid and Elway will take over the reigns.

Shoot. If this draft was all Elway, then we might be in for a few rough years. Hey, at least the top of the draft is easier to prepare for.

ERoyal248
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Can't say i saw that coming.

I guess Elway takes over full-time or we hire someone else.

DeCosta...

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
If I read the article right, it says they are not highering anyone to fill the position. They are streamlining the process which tells me that Elway is going to lead the pack and he will make the final calls.

sleen
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi
According to the Post, Broncos fire GM Brian Xanders. Spoke to him two days ago. He did not see this coming.

elecshoc
05-07-2012, 04:48 PM
So year three will really be all Elway. This is just the beginning for something awesome or not. I hate to think of the or not though...

dizzolve
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I dunno why but Polian's name immediately came to mind

How would you guys like to see Sundquist back here?

Who will be the man?

Blondie79
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM

Who will be the man?

It will be Elway.

Remedy
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Never a dull moment during the 'slow times' of the year with our Broncos.....

ERoyal248
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Who will be the man?

Probably Elway.

BroncsSB#3
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Now, the Mcd/Xanders era is officially over.

Hopefully it will end up being a transition period, kind of like the Wade Phillips era between Reeves and Shanny. Last time, it resulted in 2 Super Bowls within the first 4 seasons. I would love it if we could do something like that again.

brutledge79
05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Kind of saw this happening, just not this soon. If we hire anyone it would be Polian, dude knows football. Great work Elway, Broncos Country is better off without Xanders!

DenBKumar
MaxBroncos ‏ @MaxBroncos
RT @CBSSportsNFLDEN: #broncos Broncos part ways with GM Xanders

MarshallMoss
I'm not too shocked to be honest...Xanders has looked more and more uncomfortable with the media everytime he gets up there...you could see it in his posture that he did not have the control he wanted and was being phased out. Remember he was a huge Tim Tebow supporter and most of what he helped build with Mcdaniels is now completely dismantled. How would you feel if you put all your blood and sweat to build something and all of a sudden someone comes in and completely dismantles it?

Not saying it wasn't necessary, but it is a tough pill to swallow when it happens to you. I think he understands he will never have any sense of control and just has lost his desire with this team at this point.

I will say this...he has handled himself for the Broncos with total class, and wish him nothing but the best! I have a feeling he is going to be sending his resume to the Jets right away:P

CanDB
05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Feel bad for the guy. Not sure how effective he was, but how can you tell when things are performed in groups, and there is very likely some serious arm twisting going on. But I sensed discomfort in the "post draft" discussion. Xanders seemed tight, and sounded like he had a script. He just didn't seem at ease.

I guess someday we will hear more about what was really going on.......we can all speculate. But I am not totally surprised, because I didn't see him in a well-defined position.

Good luck to him!

BTW......nice post MM^^^^.......didn't see it until I posted mine.

qbronco
I would love Eric DeCosta, but I don't think Elway is going to hire anyone. I am not surprised Xanders is gone. Someone had to answer for the way we got fleeced with the trades made during the draft. It's a new era, let's hope it's a winning one.

jM916
So year three will really be all Elway. This is just the beginning for something awesome or not. I hate to think of the or not though...

Well it is all Elway. But all the major moves happened when Xander was still here . Not that he had much say with Manning coming to Denver anyway

elecshoc
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Feel bad for the guy. Not sure how effective he was, but how can you tell when things are performed in groups, and there is very likely some serious arm twisting going on. But I sensed discomfort in the "post draft" discussion. Xanders seemed tight, and sounded like he had a script. He just didn't seem at ease.

I guess someday we will hear more about what was really going on.......we can all speculate. But I am not totally surprised, because I didn't see him in a well-defined position.

Good luck to him!

Great point along with hiring people to take away some of your duties. Brian knew this was coming, even if he couldn't accept it. It's all making sense to him right now.

one5beast
05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Our drafts the past few years has actually sucked so I'm not mad. Our big hit was on Von but I bet Elway had a lot of say in that.

InsaneBlaze23
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't think anyone say this coming, rather you like Xanders or not. It wasn't expected.
Mr.Xanders I know you don't see this, but thanks for being apart of this great franchise, working out the money situations, bringing us Brian Dawkins, because god knows that wasn't McDaniels. I hope you have a great job somewhere else.

Anyways, as you can tell I feel a bit bad for him. I think he is a Yes Man, and the scapegoat for any bad player we drafted, any bad trades we've made.

I pray that Elway doesn't take the helm of both VP and GM, would be funny if Polian was hired.

elecshoc
05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Well it is all Elway. But all the major moves happened when Xander was still here . Not that he had much say with Manning coming to Denver anyway

Before this, this was a three headed attack with EFX. That's how it was advertised. Now Elway has done away with the round table and it's him up there. The purge is complete and with year three coming up it's going to be his team.

jlhawkins9
05-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Manning must have fired him!! Lol jk

The draft trades where a joke, but I doubt that was on X. Elway signed off on those. Who knows but it's elways show.

Hope X writes a book about his time in denver.. MCD to Tebow Marshall cutler elway etc

Sync
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Hmm. Well, thanks for all the hard work Brian.

DishWater
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Knowshon, Ayers, and Beadles are next. The purge is almost complete...

Remedy
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxcwkJbC558

That's Elway talking about McDaniels 'people'

#24 Next Champ
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Really curious to the WHY of this move as most are....

Never liked him tho, glad he's gone, didn't like when we picked him up...hope it has something to do with how bad the draft trades were

MarshallMoss
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by CanDB

Good luck to him!

Felt exactly the same way Can...he never was a comfortable public speaker, but it was getting hard for me to watch him...I was praying no one would ask him another question, because it was pretty painful. This is a move that will be best for all parties.

I should add, Brian really did make us a wiser team in spending habits. I really believe his salary cap knowledge was the foundation in changing our free spending/overpaying philosophy we had during the Shanny years.

AdamWeberOrBust
05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Wow... this is a surprise!

Who will order the pizzas now?

nyuk nyuk
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
He and Elway must not have seen eye to eye. Elway is all in.

Always bet on Elway.

Denver Mike
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Not surprised or shocked he was an average GM at best.

I kinda favor the firing..

I hated X man

nyuk nyuk
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Manning must have fired him!! Lol jk

The draft trades where a joke, but I doubt that was on X. Elway signed off on those. Who knows but it's elways show.

Do we really know what power Elway has? I thought he was below Xanders, no?

Remedy
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Elway is essentially the head of the snake... (well Bowlen aside)

ebsoria
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
It's always tough when someone loses their job. Good luck Xanders! :salute:

nyuk nyuk
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM

That's what I was thinking... Elway must be settling in very well and very comfortably. God speed to him.

DishWater
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Elway IS the Broncos. It's his show.completely.

I'm in favor of that.

canadiansbronco
05-07-2012, 05:25 PM
This is odd.

I am not sure i like this hope elway does not have all the power

InsaneBlaze23
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
This is odd.

I am not sure i like this hope elway does not have all the power

Same here.

Jay3
05-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Don't forget J.D. Walton.

Denverslim14
05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Rip efx :)

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Before this, this was a three headed attack with EFX. That's how it was advertised. Now Elway has done away with the round table and it's him up there. The purge is complete and with year three coming up it's going to be his team.

Now it is the EF show.....:laugh:

Denver Mike
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
You know when you play Madden franchise?

You hand pick the coaches, the trades, the merchandising...

Well thats kinda like Elway. He plays madden in real life... God I wish that were my job :(

SeNEBronco
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
1st lesson John:

We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

The Two Bobs

ebsoria

Well thats kinda like Elway. He plays madden in real life... God I wish that were my job :(

That would be pretty darned cool. I'm with you.. Madden Live. :thumb:

Broncoholic JS
Wow, this shocks me for some odd reason! I know it shouldn't but it does

MarshallMoss
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Rip efx

Just EF now...or I think it will be more of an EFR, with Russell now more in the mix.

PowderAddict
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow, didn't expect that

EF just doesn't have the same ring as EFX. I wonder if he just wasn't needed, or if there is more to this story.

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Do you think that the coaching experience had something to do with this?

We have Elway at the top and both Fox & DelRio. Thats like 1000 years of some pretty good experience in the NFL.

InsaneBlaze23
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
BEF, no that's not what Elway has with Xanders.
Bowlen Elway Fox.:salute:

chessic
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry if someone already posted, but it appears there will be no new GM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ef16e/article/broncos-and-gm-brian-xanders-agree-to-mutually-part-ways?module=HP11_breaking_news

80stheman
05-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow, didn't expect that

EF just doesn't have the same ring as EFX. I wonder if he just wasn't needed, or if there is more to this story.

There's always more to the story in these situations. People aren't just fired unexpectedly, typically. Even though it seems out of the blue to us, it's probably been brewing for a while.

Remedy
1st lesson John:

We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

The Two Bobs

:) office space... nice! hahaha

one_bad_55
BEF, no that's not what Elway has with Xanders.
Bowlen Elway Fox.:salute:

BFE would be better :D

SoundsOfSuccess
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Elway is turning into the dictator, so to speak, I think..

jlhawkins9
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
X never had any power here. He will go on to be a good GM. Why MCD was given all the power by Bowlen will always be a big ???
Obvisouly when Elway was hired X would never be more then the guy that gets everyones Starbucks order. He really didn't get a fair shake in what his title was.

dork54
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
No way Polian would march to Elway's orders. Besides, he's got a great tv job. It's all Elway all the time now.

Louich
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Well I can't say I suprised but at the same time I guess I am a bit...

As Can said what ws his job anyways?

X never had any power here. He will go on to be a good GM. Why MCD was given all the power by Bowlen will always be a big ???

The guy must have had one hell of a Power Point presentation!

MHS
05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Looks like elway is trying to streamline things and feels X was not needed

RealBronco
05-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Elway is running the show. This is probably why Xanders was fired. Maybe Xanders disagreed with some of the draft choices, or maybe the Broncos were not happy with this last draft.

A lot of us disagree with the draft choices lol. But there will always be disagreement among fans about draftees.

I'd be fine with this, but Elway will likely call the shots now, like he's been doing since his arrival, only more officially.

Executive Vice President of Football Operations. One step below Pat Bowlen. At least that's how I understand the ranks to go in Denver. Pat is the CEO/Owner so.

but in most situations: Vice President>>>General Manager.

more like... EF Yeah! or.....maybe "oh no we're EF'd." but hopefully not the latter :(

well if it were Madden '04. Franchise Mode has sucked ever since Madden '05.

Br0nc0Buster
05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I dont know if this is a good thing or not
If this means Elway will be the GM from now on, or groom Russel into the job

hopefully Elway knows what he is doing

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe we can call them EFD now. D for DelRio.

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Wow, the whole 7th page disappeared. COOL... Didn't like where it was going anyway. LOL

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I got it! MEF! For Manning! He's probably going to have more responsibility than Xander's had anyway. Anyway, I'm more concerned with the term than anything else.

Remedy
05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Let's try and keep the conversation insult and profanity free. Thanks.

SoundsOfSuccess
05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Bowlen gives keys of organization to one individual that has no previous success in his role.. sound familiar?

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Bowlen gives keys of organization to one individual that has no previous success in his role.. sound familiar?

Didn't Elway have his own Football team? Does that make him qualified?

SoundsOfSuccess
05-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Didn't Elway have his own Football team? Does that make him qualified?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Arena Football?

Remedy
05-07-2012, 06:10 PM

It was, but he did garner a lot of relevant experience... and as I recall the team was pretty successful.

In addition doesn't Elway have a number of other successful business ventures outside of football. He seems like a smart cookie to me. I am not really concerned about Elway in this situation.

DaChAmPiShErE24
05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Not really sure how I feel about Elway being de facto GM. He's only been in front office for a little over a year now. He's very inexperienced to be calling the shots. Xanders was there to help check him. Just one person having control over personel is never good. Look at some of moves Shanahan and McDaniels made for example, or Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I trust Elway. He knows what he's doing. I just think it's best when decisions are made as a group. Hopefully that's still the case.

SoundsOfSuccess
It was, but he did garner a lot of relevant experience... and as I recall the team was pretty successful.

In addition doesn't Elway have a number of other successful business ventures outside of football. He seems like a smart cookie to me. I am not really concerned about Elway in this situation.
I'm not trying to say Elway is McDaniels 2.0, I'm just saying this is rather soon to risk making the same type of mistake.

UltimateSoldier
Does this open the door for the Goodmans to come back to the scouting department?

Giddy'up
05-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Xanders wasn't really effective either way,,, I think he followed more then he led...

SoundsOfSuccess
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Not really sure how I feel about Elway being de facto GM. He's only been in front office for a little over a year now. He's very inexperienced to be calling the shots. Xanders was there to help check him. Just one person having control over personel is never good. Look at some of moves Shanahan and McDaniels made for example, or Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I trust Elway. He knows what he's doing. I just think it's best when decisions are made as a group. Hopefully that's still the case.

This is more where I'm coming from.

If Elway had had success controlling all aspects of personel matters previously, I'd say he deserves the keys to the car.

However, he hasn't.

InElwayWeTrust
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
All I got to say is I hope they hire someone who's name starts with X.

They better not mess up our catchy little thing. :mad:

:laugh:

crash123go
05-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Probably going a new direction w/ scouting etc and wanted a new guy in place... before the new college season etc?
I doubt we bring in a new gm because they promoted the one guy to the director of college scouting and they just brought in someone to handle all of our contract negotiations so there really isnt a job for a gm

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
All I got to say is I hope they hire someone who's name starts with X.

They better not mess up our catchy little thing. :mad:

:laugh:

I think our problem has already been solved. :smug:

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM

He took the Colorado Crush from its first year record of 2-14 and in its third year they won the ArenaBowl. I would say he knows what he is doing. The only reason he failed was because the league failed.

He surrounded himself with experienced personell that he trusted. Not only do I have faith in him as a VP but also as a GM.

Mustangtoby
05-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Now that there's no EFX, we gotta call them "The Two Johns".

dsmith275
I didn't see this coming!

Louich
I doubt we bring in a new gm because they promoted the one guy to the director of college scouting and they just brought in someone to handle all of our contract negotiations so there really isnt a job for a gm

Indeed.
I would be curious to see how the power structure works now that Xanders is out.
Elway has sourrounded himself with good talent since he got there:
-Fox
-Selected his guys for the scouting and contract/cap management
-DelRio
-Peyton Manning

Elway definatively has a plan and he is executing.

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
now that there's no efx, we gotta call them "the two johns".

JJ... Yes!

Mustangtoby
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Or maybe J2, lol

FabrizioHC
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Honestly, I'm not worried about it.

Xanders seemed to be the odd guy out. I don't think he has the leadership and character to be a GM. In the McDaniels era, it seemed like Josh was calling the shots, he was fired, and Brian kept his job. John and Fox were hired, and it seems like they're the ones calling the shots, not Brian.

I don't see the point in paying someone who doesn't really have a say. It's like working as a chef but not cooking.

ansleyr815
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Mark me down as someone who doesn't like where this is headed. I believe that Elway pulled power-plays on draft day... because any experienced GM would never had made those first 2 trades. Xanders may have been vocal in the war room against them.

Just doesn't feel right. Hope I am wrong.

InsaneBlaze23
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Or Y2J.
Yes 2 Johns

Hadez
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Not gonna quote people as multiples have made these points but...

1. Yes I did see it coming. My guess is it would have happened last year but it is hard for anyone to mess up 2nd draft spot...

2. Do not give him credit for Harris. If he knew what Harris was gonna be he would have been drafted towards the end.

3. I hope we get an experienced GM as well.

This ends the horrible failed Joe Ellis experiment of Xanders and McD. One of the worst moves in football history imo.

FINALLY!!!

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Maybe JMJ? John Manning John?

Or JMAJ? John Manning and John?

Hadez
05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Mark me down as someone who doesn't like where this is headed. I believe that Elway pulled power-plays on draft day... because any experienced GM would never had made those first 2 trades. Xanders may have been vocal in the war room against them.

I think Elway is mad because Xanders did not get enough for the trades. If you look at other trades made we got real bad value. Xanders always has a bad "poker face" in interviews and it probably goes into his GM game as well.

Our trades and picks for the most part have been horrible since Xanders became the GM. Like any buisness it is not all on him but after years of bad stuff the axe goes to the head guy.

Not gonna fear where this is going until I actually see where this is going.

BroncoCanuck
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Bring back Ted Sundquist!!!!!! :)

BluenOrnge4Life
05-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Hate to say you are wrong but it appears this has been brewing for a while:

" January 2012: The Broncos promoted Matt Russell to oversee player personnel and hired former agent Mike Sullivan to handle contract negotiations and the team’s salary cap."
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/05/07/brian-xanders-accomplished-broncos/13322/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Xanders didnt have much of a role anymore. Its obvious they wanted to go in another direction and they had been setting this up for a while. I doubt this is because of a draft day fallout.

tzinc
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Wow Elway is a complete EGOMANIAC.

I have a feeling last year was a Xander draft and this year was an Elway draft and if that is the case the Broncos are screwed. No matter how well Manning plays.

Pruke
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
One thing is sure. The arrows of blame became a lot more clear. I'm happy with the move but the fog of EFX operations made it impossible to understand Xander's role and skills.

Orange Pants
05-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Alright, my last suggestion for a new name.

E&C

Elway and Company.

I'm going with this one.

Holger_Danske
05-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Another school of thought. Fire on Monday and 1. it doesn't make for a rotten weekend, and 2. you can get to talking with people right away looking for a new job.
This is the way it is performed these days in most respectable companies.

one_bad_55
05-07-2012, 07:20 PM

I have a feeling last year was a Xander draft and this year was an Elway draft and if that is the case the Broncos are screwed. No matter how well Manning plays.

Why do you say that? Because he fired someone? If I was a boss in a situation like this I would do exactly what Elway has done. Evaluate existing staff and decide if these are the people you want around you. If not you get rid of them and you get the right people around you. Obviously Elway did not like the structure so he streamlined the process which also meant letting go an employee.

Sometimes being a boss means you have to sometimes make hard decisions and not everyone will be happy with what has to change.

Sorry but this is how it works.

BroncoFanBoy
05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
So I'll take it Elway will officially be the GM now?

And I can no longer say EFX. :sad:

Dan in the Can
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
So I'll take it Elway will officially be the GM now?

And I can no longer say EFX. :sad:

No, but now we can refer to them as the EF'ers :D

Or some variant there-in, depending on how the season goes.

Mk2_Tebow
05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Englewood, CO – The Denver Broncos and general manager Brian Xanders have parted ways, the team announced Monday night.
Xanders joined Denver's staff in 2008 as assistant GM after spending 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in various coaching, player personnel and football operations positions.
He was promoted to GM in February 2009 and drafted players like Tim Tebow, Perrish Cox and Von Miller.
Hall of Famer John Elway has run the front office recently as executive vice president of football operations and said parting ways with Xanders "is not easy."
"My responsibility to the Broncos and our fans is to build a championship football team," Elway said in a statement. "The setup we have throughout every phase of our football operations will better position us for success going forward.
"Making a change with someone of Brian's caliber is not easy. I thank him for everything he did for the Broncos and wish him all the best as he continues his career."
Since Elway joined the Broncos' staff in 2011, Denver's roster has been radically revamped, most notably with the signing of Peyton Manning and the departure of Tebow.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/07/broncos-gm-xanders-leaves-team/#ixzz1uF1GWsKv

-Rod-
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
According to Brandon Spano, Xanders wanted Orakpo in 2009. He also disagreed with other moves, including Osweiler in the 2nd round. Apparently, Xanders wanted LB Lavonte David. Xanders did not have final authority to do what he wanted, but got bad reputation for the bad moves because he was known as the Broncos GM.

RealBronco
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
According to Brandon Spano, Xanders wanted Orakpo in 2009. He also disagreed with other moves, including Osweiler in the 2nd round. Apparently, Xanders wanted LB Lavonte David. Xanders did not have final authority to do what he wanted, but got bad reputation for the bad moves because he was known as the Broncos GM.

Hindsight is great. We as Denver fans can ALL say we wanted Orakpo now that we know he's extremely good. The same can be said for Matthews, Ed Reed and a couple of others.

Unfortunately, even if Xanders says this, there's no way to know he actually did want him in '09. At this point, if I were him, I'd say i wanted him too.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Not so sure i buy the 2nd part of that but i could see him wanting orakpo in 09. Almost everybody wanted him over km.

Like i posted earlier, with the promoting of russell and hiring of sullivan in january, this was likely in the works for months.

PioneerBroncFan
05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
hahahaha - Elway is going to PWN all you left over McD and Tebow lovers again. I put my trust in him, always have, always will. Hehe, these are the beginning of very good times for the Broncos. But hey, I am an optimist! Sorry but I am not sad to see Xanders go but I wish him well in the future.

Go Elway!!
Go Broncos!!

beastlyskronk
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Oh no who will every one now blame for the FO's failures? Xanders never really got a fair shake here, when McD was here he had no power and then when McD is fired we bring in Elway. Now out of John Fox, John Elway, and Xanders who do you think had the most say? I can guarantee you that Xanders had very little say at all. In fact I'm willing to bet that he was treated like a little kid in all of the meetings. If he's geniunely surprised by this, then I'm surprised, I honestly expected him to ask to be let go sooner or later. Xanders didn't do anything wrong here in Denver, because he never did anything in Denver

Cardoso
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you think that the coaching experience had something to do with this?

We have Elway at the top and both Fox & DelRio. Thats like 1000 years of some pretty good experience in the NFL.
Coaching experience has nothing to do with being a GM. Elway is making mistake after mistake. He is not different than Mcdaniels. People are just blinded by their based for Elway.

RunYouOver
05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
The worst part of this is that we can't use EFX anymore. Somewhat surprised by the timing of this, very interesting.

theMileHighGuy
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Finally cutting dead weight imo. Who's going to get John and John's coffee now? Truth be told I was hoping and expecting him to be gone since E&C (yeah I like that one) took over.

Vastly more surprised by the fact that there are no plans to bring a REAL GM in. Just don't know how to feel about that. Well I know how I feel about it but it's not worth the argument that it will bring.

CoryWinget81
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
He is not different than Mcdaniels. People are just blinded by their based for Elway.

Except he's successfully managed a professional team prior, and actually played the game outside of playing for your dad in The Sticks, Ohio.

Cardoso
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Elway also got scammed out of Millions so does that mean he's pretty dumb as well?

Cardoso
05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Except he's successfully managed a professional team prior, and actually played the game outside of playing for your dad in The Sticks, Ohio.

Sorry but didn't Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Dan Marino also play and manage a professional team before as well? Actually can you name 3 ex players who went on to successfully run a team in any professional sport?

Cardoso
05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
By the way I never thought Xanders was any good anyways and unfortunately for him he was always over powered by Shanny, MCD, and now Elway. To his defense he never had a fair shot to run the show like a true GM is supposed to do. I'm still ok with him being fired, but I'm not sure how I feel about having a miniature Jerry Jones can be any good either.

Cardoso
05-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Hindsight is great. We as Denver fans can ALL say we wanted Orakpo now that we know he's extremely good. The same can be said for Matthews, Ed Reed and a couple of others.

Unfortunately, even if Xanders says this, there's no way to know he actually did want him in '09. At this point, if I were him, I'd say i wanted him too.
except that almost everyone hated the fact that we drafted Moreno with that first pick. Many posters did want orakpo, or any defensive help. That was the first draft were we were supposed to fix the defense with all our picks from the cutler trade and that was a waste. I blame mcd for 100% of that draft.

Br0nc0Buster
05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry but didn't Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Dan Marino also play and manage a professional team before as well? Actually can you name 3 ex players who went on to successfully run a team in any professional sport?

I know there is more, but off the top of my head
Billy Beane
Ozzy Newsome
Pat RIley

guys that are currently doing it

ERoyal248
05-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Elway has done nothing but make this team/franchise better since taking over, i trust him.

beastlyskronk
05-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Dan Marino wasn't there long enough to actually manage a team. As I've said numerous times about Jordan, basketball is a whole different animal. If you aren't picking in the top 5, there's a huge chance you aren't going to get a good player and even when you do pick in the top 5, 3 of them usually don't pan out. Basketball is a million times harder to scout than football. Same thing for hockey I'd imagine. Also lets not act like the Bobcats are Jordan's first concern.

But actually I can name a few ex players who've gone on to manage successful team. Larry Bird both as a coach and a GM(won coach of the year his first year and made the playoffs every year he coached) and right now the Pacers are looking good in the playoffs. Kevin McHale was a good GM for the Timberwolves until he got caught making an illegal deal with Joe Smith which screwed the Timberwolves for a long time. He did have a winning record with the Rockets this year as a coach. There's Danny Ainge who's had a very good career off the court. There's Ozzie Newsome for the Ravens.

The fact of the matter is, being a general manager is hard work for anybody, not just former players. Former players do get some advantages but any advantages they have from playing the game is cancelled out by everything else a general manager has to do coupled with the time frame they have to do it in. Elway has already proven that he knows how to run a football team in a different league where he had fewer resources than he does now. I have faith that he'll be successful here.

FabrizioHC
05-07-2012, 09:16 PM
So, how about El(way)F(ox)

broncolee
I think this is about a difference in vision.

I think Elway has one vision for the team and Xanders had another and we know which one is going to win.

We just don't yet know which one is right.

We'll never know if Xanders' was right.

I sure hope Elway's is right.

FabrizioHC
ELF? No? Okay...

beastlyskronk
So, how about El(way)F(ox)

ElFox sounds good to me

PioneerBroncFan
05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by tzinc View Post

Yeah and I am also sure Xanders was banging the drum for Knoshow, Bruton, Carter, JT, the glassman, and any other countless bust broncos in the last 6 years. I am sure he disagreed with Josh, Elway, Fox, and everyone else in the whole facility on one pick or another also. Your suggestion that Elway is an egomaniac or out of control is just left over vitreol from the McD and Tebow lovers or people not fans of the broncos during the SB eras. McD flamed, Tebow in the end was not the ultimate answer, but everything that has happened to the Broncos since Elway came back has been good. Do they miss on a few draft picks? Sure, just like everyone but we have yet to see the full impact from your "Elway" vs "Xanders" picks. Elway is his boss and he can fire him if he wants, for all we know he didn't want Peyton freaking Manning here either.

PioneerBroncFan
05-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Brandon Spano - like I say left over vitriol from the known and outspoken Tebow supporters. Listen, I liked him as much as anyone....go look at my posts on the subject but to suggest Elway is the demise of the broncos is at the very least extremely premature. Especially considering the latest Vegas odds for the Super Bowl. Who would have said that 18 months ago?!?! LOL

johnjoda
05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Elway had made decisions that placed most of his duties on other people hands. This was planned in the other moves that Elway made during the off-season.

I had been concerned that there was a connection between DT issue and Xanders. I believe there might have been a show down. "Final say" or else

Remedy
05-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Elway also got scammed out of Millions so does that mean he's pretty dumb as well?

Yes someone committing a criminal act against him makes him dumb .. that is a rather weak logical argument.

the guy has worked hard and been very successful in many different platforms playing sport, managing sport and in private business. I say this qualifies him... someone else commits a crime and you say this disqualifies him.

That doesn't make any sense.

Caliraiderhater
05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think this has anything to do with how the offseason/draft went. I think they kept him around for all the hard work he put into getting ready for the draft, also you don't want a guy out their that knows what your teams draft board looks like.

I think Elway kept him around to learn and watch how Xanders handled the FO for his first year. But it seems to me that Fox & Elway have a great working relationship, plus Elway was hired as the Executive VP of Football Operations (above the GM) so this is just them streamlining the process. Elway I believe will be the acting GM as the VP of football op. I think its great, you really don't need a 3 headed monster for a job 2 could do!

Cahill
05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
I can't believe some people honestly believe that Xanders was the one making the draft day trades. John Elway has final say on all personnel decisions and this has been the case since he joined the front office. This day was coming and has been known by Elway hence the team bringing in the cap guru and promoting Russell. The writing has been on the wall for Xanders. You guys can scapegoat Xanders all you want for the 2012 draft but the fact is, you'd be a major homer.

gary miller ‏ @thegarymiller
Brian presented himself as a personnel guy with nearly 20 years experience. I was told he had very limited personnel role in Atlanta.

I'm not surprised at all by this. I was never impressed with Xanders' background and history and it was a questionable hiring in the first place but I guess McDummy got fooled and Shanahan was never going to give him any power so Xanders was a yes man from day one. Seems like he forgot the duties of his job and said no too many times.

BroncoSexyDaddy
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Xanders became expendable when Peyton Manning signed a 95 million dollar contract,the money had to come from some where.Who is next i wonder?

Remedy
05-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Well just thinking about the NHL alone off the top of my head.

Mario Lemieux - See Penguins.
Dale Tallon - former #2 overall pick... built the Chicago championship team... and now with Florida and has brought that team back to the playoffs...
Stevie Yzerman - excellent playing career, excellent GM + he has had a lot of international success with Hockey canada as amanager.
Bob Gainey - Top 10 pick, multiple cup winner as a player...OH and a Cup winner as a GM as well
Ken Holland - GM for the Red Wings(cup winner) and a former player...
Brian Burke -GM Built the Ducks (cup) the Canucks and now rebuilding the leafs and a former player.
Ray Shero - Former player....Pittsburgh GM... during Cup.

I could keep going....

johnlimburg
05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Neither side of this argument really matter. It is no huge loss either way. He was a yes man hired by Mcdaniels so he wouldn't question the choices he made. Hired after the veteran in the building was fired even though Mcdaniels raved about working with him. He was a yes man again after Elway took over I am sure. I think he was essentially just a scout with a big time job description.

Plus it was thought he was a cap guy when he was first here. I don't know if that is true but we hired a new cap guy a few months ago. A former player agent and front office executive I think. So we have the money guys. The scouting guys. And now the deision maker with 2 drafts of experience up there. That is a good learning period and Elway is more than ready and has shown he is ready to handle the job.

All I can do is laugh at the guys who try to put Elway down because Michael Jordan hasn't done great as a GM and some other guys. As people have pointed out it works both ways. However some choose to hold onto one side cause they are still bitter. Whatever. Talk crap all you want but it doesn'tchange the fact that Elway has handled his role very well so far and nothing less should be expected heading into the future. He has shown he can handle the role so I don't see any negative at all if the decision making comes from Elway and Fox with colaboration of the entire scouting department. As long as he doesn't end up like Josh Mcdaniels and take all the work of the scouts and then just go and do his own thing and change the board how he wants for the final few months before the draft then fine.

broncolassiter
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Maybe Xanders office was next to Elways and Elway wanted to knock down a wall to have a bigger office. In all seriousness, Elway is running the FO like a business and that is how it should be done. Basically he hired managers for each dept. such as salary cap negotiations and Scouting dept. Xanders was no longer needed, and there was no need to pay him just to keep a chair warm. All the dept. heads answer to Elway, so a GM is not needed anymore. Everybody argues that Elway may have to much power, but in most leagues the GM has to much power, so what is the difference? I personally would trust Elway over any GM, as he is driven by a love for the team as opposed to to a GM working for a pay check.

dizzolve
05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
1st lesson John:

The Two Bobs

One of my all time favorite movies :)

dizzolve
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Well I can't say I suprised but at the same time I guess I am a bit...

As Can said what ws his job anyways?

The guy must have had one hell of a Power Point presentation!

From what limited I've ever seen from him - Xanders was the stats guy. Maybe not THE stats guy but he always pulled out these odd stats to prove his points. That's about the limit to what I know he contributes.

Like risk assessment or percentages of certain situations

Ohenhen12345
05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Don't see them hiring a new GM atleast not right way. My fellow Buff, Matt Russell is now handling both NFL and College players evaluations. They also have a guy that will handle the cap.

Ohenhen12345
05-07-2012, 11:54 PM

Orakpo over Moreno, sounds really good.

captainbronco
05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
whos going to take his spot?

Remedy
05-08-2012, 12:27 AM
whos going to take his spot?

Short answer Elway...

Long answer we brought / promoted people into rolls who assumed some of the responsibilities. so in addition to Elway we have a new 'cap guru' doing out contracts and we promoted from within a new head of player personnel somewhat recently as well.

theshiverman
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I think it all comes down to trying to get these contracts done, I pretty sure Xanders wasent happy about being stripped of those duties and could have been butt aching or complaining around the offices bringing Elways good feeling down and sapping his 'Draft High', sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen cause problems, i know we lost a few guys this offseason that we should have been able to retain with DT Bunkley being the most obvious, now today they gave DT Marcus Thomas Number #79 to DT Jeremy Beal so that feels like they are ready to move on from Thomas and his money demands, Either way Xanders seemed like dead weight in the front office.

nickmeyer
05-08-2012, 04:57 AM

Na its the JJ show...John & John.

fraguela09
05-08-2012, 05:11 AM
This isn't about John Elway. Brian Xanders was a goner the moment McDaniels was run out of town. Of course, eventually, Elway was going to erase all remnants of that failed regime. Elway is more than a former player. He built a successful car dealership, he ran an Arena football league team, & (so far) his decisions have paid dividends (hiring of Fox, drafting Miller, signing Manning).

This is about Brian Xanders. He was brought to DEN to "help" Shanny in his personnel decisions, b/c the mastermind HC was being betrayed by his lessermind GM self. DEN was Shanny's team, so whatever role Xanders had it certainly wasn't more than serving as a bird chirping in Mike's ear. Then, his watershed moment at Dove Valley arrived following the 2008 collapse, when Bowlen canned Shanny & hired a green-behind-the-ears, 32 yr-old Josh McDaniels. Xanders dream to have complete "player control" had finally arrived. He was part of the hriing process who brought this kid to DEN.

From the get-go, Xanders had the opportunity to stomp his foot on the ground and make things clear to Mcd: "Hey, brother, you have enough on your plate trying to figure out what it takes being a HC in the NFL. Leave the Gm duties to me. Feel free to offer suggestions, I will work with you, but I HAVE FINAL SAY & COMPLETE CONTROL OVER PLAYER PERSONNEL DECISIONS."

The Xandyman never did this though, & quickly he allowed the boy-genius to morph from HC to HC/GM. In other words, Xanders was a 'yes man' by nature. He was "loyal," as Elway said b/c he wasn't strong enough to stand up to anybody. SO he acquiesced. To be the man, the GM, you have to eb a leader. A type-A type dude. You have to make decisions, not colelct a consensus. It's certainly one thing to take abackseat to Shanny, your first year on the job. But to allow the same thing to happen by a young HC, whom you hired yourself? To keep you from your dream job? That moment he established himself in Bowlen's eyes, and of course Elway coul sniff that out the moment they first hung out & talked football at his place.

Elway kept Xanders on board b/c Elway understood he needed to take baby steps. Now he's ready to & prepared to handle the full load. So Xanders had to go.

I'm sure this was coming for over 12 months. I'm sure Xanders wanted to pursue something to give him more control, & perhaps Elway saw this draft as a final straw (boiling down to the Brock O move).

johnlimburg
05-08-2012, 05:24 AM
FRAGULA

The thing with putting his foot down is that Xanders didn't make the hire so it wasn't like he hired Mcdaniels to do a role and Mcdaniels over stepped the mark. Mcdaniels got rid of the guy he said he would work with. A veteran. Then he went on to hire Xanders. Not the way it should work obviously. It should be that you hire the GM first and they get there guy. But I compare this situation to the Mike Nolan parting ways situation. There was a veteran guy in the role who may question the new leader so push overs were hired. Getting rid of the Goodmans to get Xanders and getting rid of Nolan to get Wink. Mcdaniels liked yes men and took the control freak status to a whole new level. Obviously it backfred as his own staff turned there back on him but I think Xanders was in a tough spot. He had worked in the league for 15 years or so and finally got this title which was more than likely his dream. So I don't blame him for just cruising along with whatever his autocratic my way or the highway boss.

dukes88
05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Strange timing of this move - why not do it quickly after the season? Did X really add any value to the draft, trades and off-season moves? I don't disagree with the decision. I know that we have hired people to do most of the roles (cap, contracts, scouting) and we do have Elway, Fox and Del Rio.

nyuk nyuk
05-08-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm not surprised at all by this. I was never impressed with Xanders' background and history and it was a questionable hiring in the first place but I guess McDummy got fooled and Shanahan was never going to give him any power so Xanders was a yes man from day one. Seems like he forgot the duties of his job and said no too many times.

I read about his background and couldn't figure out how he got his job, let alone kept it. Lots of people wanted him gone. He simply didn't belong there.

jcdavey
05-08-2012, 07:17 AM
weird timing

86rocco
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM

So may see it as just the EFing show:sad:
and others will see it as woohoo Its the Efing show now:thumb:

Me, I hope X does well in whatever he does next, thanks for giving your all while here.

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 07:57 AM
So funny to see so much support for Xanders when over the last few years everyone has wanted him out.

Its one of these behind the scene things that no one really knows whats happened.

jaytea11
05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Our next GM is going to be Peyton... Watch.

OrangeBlueCrew
05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
In every draft he has been associated with 2009-2012, we have never gotten good value for our picks. We consistently pick guys that would be available with later picks. Not impressed with this years draft. Going to ASU, San Diego St., and Baylor for talent pools? The best football in the country is played in the SouthEast, not in Tempe, Arizona.

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
In every draft he has been associated with 2009-2012, we have never gotten good value for our picks. We consistently pick guys that would be available with later picks. Not impressed with this years draft. Going to ASU, San Diego St., and Baylor for talent pools? The best football in the country is played in the SouthEast, not in Tempe, Arizona.

I guess the Redskins are regretting their Baylor pick :D

youmind
05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Never liked X... So I support the move.

However.. I dont trust Elway to run the whole show. I dont think he drafted well this year at all. Not to mention the poor value in the trade backs. So I hope we hire a top line GM.. However.. it appears we wont and its 7 making all the calls. In which case.. the phones will be ringing off the hook in the broncos war room in next years draft with teams looking to rip us off.

kingelway7
05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Wow. Quite unexpected. Hopefully its for the best.

primetime714
05-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Strange timing of this move - why not do it quickly after the season? Did X really add any value to the draft, trades and off-season moves? I don't disagree with the decision. I know that we have hired people to do most of the roles (cap, contracts, scouting) and we do have Elway, Fox and Del Rio.

Yep remember that scouting had been done all year for the draft and while Elway was involved it was Xanders who was probably organizing it given that Elway was still learning the ropes. With a full year and two drafts under his belt Elway felt he had the experience and support system to move on without Xanders. Also Xanders seeing his role being progressively marginalized also probably wanted to pursue other opportunities. My guess is they may have disagreed on a few draft picks and Elway of course got his guy. I've heard rumblings that Xanders may not have wanted Brock at 57 instead favoring a defensive player like Lavonte David.

I think this may have been the plan all along and Elway asked Xanders to stay on through the draft. This offseason Elway hired a capologist and promoted their scouting director to head both NFL and Amateur scouting. These moves were in all likelihood a replacement plan for Xanders.

jlhawkins9
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
For the folks saying it was weird timing...
X knew exactly how we where going to the draft.. Who we like And wanted Drsft grades etc

They fire him before then he can go run his mouth to other teams

If they where going fire him this WAS the perfect time

one_bad_55
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
So funny to see so much support for Xanders when over the last few years everyone has wanted him out.

Its one of these behind the scene things that no one really knows whats happened.

That is because up until this story everyone assumed he had more to do with drafting than he truely did. According to the stories he had virtually no say in the Shanny, McD, or Elway regime so why vent on him now.

crash123go
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
So may see it as just the EFing show:sad:
and others will see it as woohoo Its the Efing show now:thumb:

Me, I hope X does well in whatever he does next, thanks for giving your all while here.

EFR maybe??? With del rio

XXXII&III
05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Watch out Ellis, you're next.

Seriously, while I'm surprised I'm not surprised. John is simply creating his front office according to his vision for success, and that's what all executives have done since the dawn of organizations. Xanders was never going to escape being labeled as part of the McDaniels regime and we all know John's opinion of that era. John's had over a year to learn the Broncos' operations and evaluate personnel, and with his recent hires and shifting of responsibilities, Xanders became expendable.

I spent a lot of time this past season down on the front row pregame near where John and Xanders hung out together, watching how they interacted with each other because I was curious about what kind of relationship they'd developed. You can tell a lot by watching body language. They weren't buddies and they weren't equals... very different from how Elway and Fox relate to each other. With those two, it was very easy and comfortable. They like each other and you could see that John respects Fox. With Xanders, Elway was more distant and it always appeared like Xanders was just tagging along. For being 2 of the 3 heads of the snake, so to speak, they didn't seem to be very close at all. For what it's worth, but it was pretty obvious to me that Xanders wasnt all that highly regarded by Elway.

XXXII&III
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
EFR maybe??? With del rio

J3 - two johns and a jack.

Chillez
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Yes I can, (1) Jerry West (2) Ozzie Newsome (3) Ted Thompson.

beastlyskronk
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I can say this, while I like the Brock Osweiler pick, if Xanders really did want LaVonte David well then I wish Elway would have deferred to him. When we're talking about going to the Super Bowl, well we'll need someone to cover New England's TEs and David can do that. While we already have DJ Williams and Wesley Woodyard, David has the potential to be and he will be better than both of them. I know he would have been a luxury pick but if we drafted him we could have turned around and traded DJ or Woodyard and get an extra pick later. Also David would finally give us a leader on defense for a long time and not another stop gap leader like we've been going to.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I really hope Xanders goes on air and spills the beans on a lot of things.

As someone who is very skeptical of Elway, I certainly believe he has been calling the shots the past 2 years. A GM like Xanders who is on the bubble is not going to put his tail on the line and draft a QB in round #2 if he is trying to salvage his job. That pick was all Elway.

Honestly, I am still very suspect that Elway has the qualifications to pull of a GM role (even if a reduced capacity due to having a cap guy etc..). I think that Elway is quickly going to find himself out of scapegoats.

I would love to hear more about the inner workings of this last draft. Who made what calls, etc... granted from an ex employee its going to be a bit slanted, I think for many us however its going to confirm what we have known all along. This is Elways show and there is no room for dissenting opinion.

D_Broncs_913
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Gsam, that is exactly how I feel...

I really hope Elway isn't on planning on running this whole thing by himself with only one year of experience. Outside of draftin Von and signing Peyton, some of our personnel moves have been questionable. I hope we succeed but I'm kind of worried...

Also, if Xanders were to write a book explaning everything that happened from 2008, I'd be the first to pre-order!!

nickmeyer
05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Laughing at all you guys who have no faith in Elway, you must be either young or new to the Broncos....Never doubt Mr. Elway he has succeeded at everything he has ever done.

Remedy
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Gsam, that is exactly how I feel...

I really hope Elway isn't on planning on running this whole thing by himself with only one year of experience. Outside of draftin Von and signing Peyton, some of our personnel moves have been questionable. I hope we succeed but I'm kind of worried...

Also, if Xanders were to write a book explaning everything that happened from 2008, I'd be the first to pre-order!!

I like how you guys make it sound like he is doing it on his own... They brought in a cap/contract guy... promoted a player personnel guy... Elway knows what it takes to win the big game, he has done it himself. He has experience with his AFL Franchise, his business and having been in this job for some time now. It's not like he is going into this blind.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Laughing at all you guys who have no faith in Elway, you must be either young or new to the Broncos....Never doubt Mr. Elway he has succeeded at everything he has ever done.

So we are immediatly new because we dont agree with what Elway is doing? What kind of suggestion is it to never doubt or never question? Are we lemmings? Should we follow him right off a cliff?

Sorry, Elway is in a new role on the biggest football stage in the world. He has to earn the right to get the benefit of the doubt. Drafting von miller is equivalent to calling yourself a sniper when shooting a car 2 feet in front of you. He was a sure thing pick. Beyond that, he has drafted 1 guy in the rest of that draft that has made MAJOR contributions and that is franklin. Sorry man. Elway has not earned the right yet to not be questioned.

Remedy
05-08-2012, 12:28 PM
So we are immediatly new because we dont agree with what Elway is doing? What kind of suggestion is it to never doubt or never question? Are we lemmings? Should we follow him right off a cliff?

Sorry, Elway is in a new role on the biggest football stage in the world. He has to earn the right to get the benefit of the doubt. Drafting von miller is equivalent to calling yourself a sniper when shooting a car 2 feet in front of you. He was a sure thing pick. Beyond that, he has drafted 1 guy in the rest of that draft that has made MAJOR contributions and that is franklin. Sorry man. Elway has not earned the right yet to not be questioned.

The rings on his fingers have earned him that right with me.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I like how you guys make it sound like he is doing it on his own... They brought in a cap/contract guy... promoted a player personnel guy... Elway knows what it takes to win the big game, he has done it himself. He has experience with his AFL Franchise, his business and having been in this job for some time now. It's not like he is going into this blind.

I noted that he brought in a cap guy to help him in my previous posts. Even with a GM "lite" role he still has much to prove. His achievements on the field and with his car dealerships have "0" to do with his new role. His AFL experience will help, but I would feel better if we had a solid GM in there with Elway overseeing the whole thing.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
The rings on his fingers have earned him that right with me.

what do his days throwing a football have to do with trading draft picks, drafting, managing the cap, hiring and firing coaches etc?

Ok, he played for some coaches, but he has never been one. Ok, he played against players, but he never scouted them. Ok he ran a business (auto) , but he never had a salary cap. The man is talented no doubt, but lets not elevate him to the level of Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome and some of the other greats until he has earned it.

D_Broncs_913

Ouch...apologies for stating my opinion!

Remedy
I noted that he brought in a cap guy to help him in my previous posts. Even with a GM "lite" role he still has much to prove. His achievements on the field and with his car dealerships have "0" to do with his new role. His AFL experience will help, but I would feel better if we had a solid GM in there with Elway overseeing the whole thing.

I just feel that Xanders and Elways vision of the team didn't mix. Elway has come in an essential dismantled the team that McDaniels/Xanders built. he brought in experienced coaches, cap guys and a new player personnel director. At this point Xanders position was probably redundant. I don't even see where he 'fits in' since the decisions ultimately boil down to Elway regardless.

D_Broncs_913
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM

I actually hope you're right. I'm rooting for him! The only thing that worries me is his experience. If he can keep surrounding himself with people who've done this before, I'd feel better.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I just feel that Xanders and Elways vision of the team didn't mix. Elway has come in an essential dismantled the team that McDaniels/Xanders built. he brought in experienced coaches, cap guys and a new player personnel director. At this point Xanders position was probably redundant. I don't even see where he 'fits in' since the decisions ultimately boil down to Elway regardless.

I am fine with all of what you stated. I think you have valid points of all of those things. As I stated, He would benefit from bringing in a strong GM to help the team. He can still exercise or veto anything he doesnt like per his VP title.

AdamWeberOrBust
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
So suddenly because he was fired, Brian Xanders is the greatest GM ever.

Give me a break... if he was any good he'd still be employed.

Remedy
05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I am fine with all of what you stated. I think you have valid points of all of those things. As I stated, He would benefit from bringing in a strong GM to help the team. He can still exercise or veto anything he doesnt like per his VP title.

My understanding of how he turned the AFL Franchise around is that he surrounded himself with experienced people he trusted, and that is how I see him approaching our beloved Broncos. Bringing in a specific cap guy, promoting from within to player personnel. Hiring an experienced coach like Fox and later the Del Rio Hiring.

I imagine he also has a RoloDex(does anyone use rolodexs anymore?) of friends from around the nfl he can lean on when he needs them or wants some wisdom.

This is how I view the situation anyway.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
My understanding of how he turned the AFL Franchise around is that he surrounded himself with experienced people he trusted, and that is how I see him approaching our beloved Broncos. Bringing in a specific cap guy, promoting from within to player personnel. Hiring an experienced coach like Fox and later the Del Rio Hiring.

I imagine he also has a RoloDex(does anyone use rolodexs anymore?) of friends from around the nfl he can lean on when he needs them or wants some wisdom.

This is how I view the situation anyway.

I hope you are right. So far I have a vision of him running the entire FO. A "his way or the highway" kind of guy. I think diffreing opinions can help make for better drafts. It challenges the thinking and makes people take a moment of pause to consider something they may not have seen.

Gsam
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
So suddenly because he was fired, Brian Xanders is the greatest GM ever.

Give me a break... if he was any good he'd still be employed.

We really dont know what Xanders can do. He never got the chance. McDaniels and Elways are both Authroitarians and I dont personally believe Xanders ever got a chance to do "his" draft.

That being said, I dont feel any great loss that he is gone. I would however welcome a strong addition of a GM.

LarryDean
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I think this was long overdue ... Not hiring a GM before hiring McD and having Xanders in the role of GM in title only cost the Broncos a golden opportunity to really rebuild the roster with the amount draft picks that was acquired in trading the starting offense ... Largely in part I think the organization fumbled here and squandered a golden opportunity to rebuild the roster ..

It seemed whatever topic was current for the Broncos that Xanders was a no show and was truly behind the scenes ...

I didn't think about it as much with all the other things going on during the offseason Manning,free agency,the Draft ... But I remember posting something similar to the writing is on the wall when this happened ...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20568607/broncos-fire-gm-brian-xanders-after-three-years#ixzz1uJGSuRXq Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Elway's biggest off-field moves seemingly have been made to streamline the Broncos'' football operations. He promoted Matt Russell from director of college scouting to director of player personnel, which means he oversees talent both on the NFL and college level. Elway also hired former agent Mike Sullivan to become the team's new man in charge of contract negotiations and the salary cap.

Not sure but if not mistaking wasn't Xanders considered the numbers guy :confused:

-=BroncosFan=-
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
lol is it safe to say we are EF'd? but in a good way haha.

one_bad_55
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
One more thing to remember about Elway is that his dad Jack was not only a coach for 35 years but he was also a scout for the Broncos for 6 years from 1993-1999 and has a pretty good eye for players. These were pretty good years for the Broncos so Elway must have known something about drafting players.

Some of the players drafted during Elway's scouting years include; John Mobley, Mike Croel, Al Wilson, Trevor Pryce, Tom Nalen, Terrell Davis, just to name a few.

I am sure John picked up a few pointers from his dad along the way before he passed away. I have faith that John listened to his dad and has learned not only how to spot someone who is more than just good on paper.

John will get better and learn how the system works and he will do us proud.

CoryWinget81
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I was revisiting this post to point out to Cardoso that many athletes went on to be successful in the front office...but seems like you guys got it covered.

:thumb:

ruksak
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Let's just stick with EFM, aye?

EFM.....think about it. It's kinda funny.

(E)lway
(F)ox
(M)anning

Remedy
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM

(E)lway
(F)ox
(M)anning

I don't know if that works EFX was good for referring to the front office... Not sure how much of a say Manning has on the direction Elway-Fox make. Maybe some tertiary questions but I doubt he has any real pull or say in the shaping of the organizations future.

ruksak
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't know if that works EFX was good for referring to the front office... Not sure how much of a say Manning has on the direction Elway-Fox make. Maybe some tertiary questions but I doubt he has any real pull or say in the shaping of the organizations future.

True.....but with that void remaining at GM....it could be said that these three guys are the faces of the franchise. I realize that the new car smell hasn't worn of off Manning yet, and many long-time Broncos fans are still pinching themselves over the acquisition of Peyton, but HE WILL become the face of the franchise in company with Elway.

AdamWeberOrBust
05-08-2012, 02:51 PM

EFDR.

Elway Fox Del Rio!

ebsoria
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM

(E)lway
(F)ox
(M)anning

I see what you did there. :laugh:

jarbronco
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
So now the Broncos FO is like a brothel at 5 am.

Only 2 Johns left....

AdamSchefter
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Let's bring in a polian!

ruksak
05-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Let's bring in a polian!

lol...I was going to suggest that but I didn't want to get banned.

He's done great work over his career but he is too prototype driven and would render your defense fast and small. I think the Broncos defense is best left in the direction it is going.

shawinkerpoppin
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
i knew this would happen but i didnt think it would happen until after the season. if he was smart he would have just stuck around seeing as in his 3 years here the broncos havent played well or made the best of moves. guess him and elway just couldnt coexist any longer.

ebsoria
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
lol...I was going to suggest that but I didn't want to get banned.

He's done great work over his career but he is too prototype driven and would render your defense fast and small. I think the Broncos defense is best left in the direction it is going.

Nah.. you'd get banned for much more nefarious purposes. Suggesting we bring in Polian wouldn't get it done. ;)

shawinkerpoppin
05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Let's bring in a polian!

he was fired for a reason. he hid behind manning all these years i guess you could say and when manning went down it showed.

Dodgers31296
05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
All hail Elway!

I swear he won't stop until he owns the team.

HUMCALC
05-08-2012, 04:01 PM
You now have in charge:

Bowlen
Ellis
Elway

How about BEE? As a general rule coaches and assistant coaches don't have much say, unless they win like Shanahan did. As a non-fan right now, I can't wait to see the power struggle between Ellis and Elway. They can't stand each other & they both want to buy Bowlen out (I read that somewhere, I cant remember where.)

BluenOrnge4Life
05-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Every great Business man has his failed business ventures along the way, yet he has MANY successful ones. It's the nature of business. Stop cherry picking!

ruksak
05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
You now have in charge:

Bowlen
Ellis
Elway

How about BEE? As a general rule coaches and assistant coaches don't have much say, unless they win like Shanahan did. As a non-fan right now, I can't wait to see the power struggle between Ellis and Elway. They can't stand each other & they both want to buy Bowlen out (I read that somewhere, I cant remember where.)

I like the acronym ....but isn't it an unwritten rule around here that Elway always goes first? To ignore this would be some sort of orange colored blasphemy, right?

BluenOrnge4Life
05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I know there is more, but off the top of my head
Billy Beane
Ozzy Newsome
Pat RIley

guys that are currently doing it

Jerry west.

JakeNbake
05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
You now have in charge:

Bowlen
Ellis
Elway

What makes you think that Ellis and Elway hate eachother?

Also Ellis doesn't do much football wise from my knowledge. I doubt he's going to step in and say ELWAY YOU DRAFT THIS GUY.

I'm not really sure where you got your information or why you believe the way you do. Would you care to elaborate?

BluenOrnge4Life
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I really hope Xanders goes on air and spills the beans on a lot of things.

As someone who is very skeptical of Elway, I certainly believe he has been calling the shots the past 2 years. Ya think? It's not a secret that Elway had final say on personnel from day 1, so I'm not sure where you are going with that.

A GM like Xanders who is on the bubble is not going to put his tail on the line and draft a QB in round #2 if he is trying to salvage his job. That pick was all Elway. And??? 2 weeks away from the draft, and it was a bad pick? If he turns out to be the future franchise QB, then it will have been the right pick and Elway will obviously get all the credit.

Honestly, I am still very suspect that Elway has the qualifications to pull of a GM role (even if a reduced capacity due to having a cap guy etc..). I think that Elway is quickly going to find himself out of scapegoats. Quickly find himself out of scapegoats? I'm sorry... did the Broncos go 4-12 last year? 5-11? No. They made a playoff run during Elway's 1st year as VP of football operations, and then landed the biggest free agent EVER in NFL history. I'm not sure where the scapegoating comes in. That only applies when the team is actually losing repeatedly.

I would love to hear more about the inner workings of this last draft. Who made what calls, etc... granted from an ex employee its going to be a bit slanted, I think for many us however its going to confirm what we have known all along. This is Elways show and there is no room for dissenting opinion. Again, we are less than 2 weeks removed from the draft. If 2 years from now, this draft is viewed as a complete failure, then you can put the blame on Elway for that. Sitting back and making sniping comments about it before a game has been even played is a bit premature. Drafts are constantly overrated and underrated. Let's give it time before we can accurately judge it.

FL BRONCO
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
It was not odd timing, EF needed X to run the computers during the draft and he did, by next year they wil find someone else to do the computers:D

db1978
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This is about Brian Xanders. He was brought to DEN to "help" Shanny in his personnel decisions, b/c the mastermind HC was being betrayed by his lessermind GM self. DEN was Shanny's team, so whatever role Xanders had it certainly wasn't more than serving as a bird chirping in Mike's ear. Then, his watershed moment at Dove Valley arrived following the 2008 collapse, when Bowlen canned Shanny & hired a green-behind-the-ears, 32 yr-old Josh McDaniels. Xanders dream to have complete "player control" had finally arrived. He was part of the hriing process who brought this kid to DEN.

From the get-go, Xanders had the opportunity to stomp his foot on the ground and make things clear to Mcd: "Hey, brother, you have enough on your plate trying to figure out what it takes being a HC in the NFL. Leave the Gm duties to me. Feel free to offer suggestions, I will work with you, but I HAVE FINAL SAY & COMPLETE CONTROL OVER PLAYER PERSONNEL DECISIONS."

The Xandyman never did this though, & quickly he allowed the boy-genius to morph from HC to HC/GM. In other words, Xanders was a 'yes man' by nature. He was "loyal," as Elway said b/c he wasn't strong enough to stand up to anybody. SO he acquiesced. To be the man, the GM, you have to eb a leader. A type-A type dude. You have to make decisions, not colelct a consensus. It's certainly one thing to take abackseat to Shanny, your first year on the job. But to allow the same thing to happen by a young HC, whom you hired yourself? To keep you from your dream job? That moment he established himself in Bowlen's eyes, and of course Elway coul sniff that out the moment they first hung out & talked football at his place.

Elway kept Xanders on board b/c Elway understood he needed to take baby steps. Now he's ready to & prepared to handle the full load. So Xanders had to go.

Cool Story.....:coffee:

Never liked X... So I support the move.

However.. I dont trust Elway to run the whole show. I dont think he drafted well this year at all. Not to mention the poor value in the trade backs. So I hope we hire a top line GM.. However.. it appears we wont and its 7 making all the calls. In which case.. the phones will be ringing off the hook in the broncos war room in next years draft with teams looking to rip us off.

I think this is very close to what we'll be looking at. I hope Elway can bring in someone to fill a knowledge role when it comes to scouting. I don't believe this is a strong suit for him and would like to see a solid system when it comes to the draft and FA....hopefully E&C will not disappoint.

PioneerBroncFan
05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
We really dont know what Xanders can do. He never got the chance. McDaniels and Elways are both Authroitarians and I dont personally believe Xanders ever got a chance to do "his" draft.

That being said, I dont feel any great loss that he is gone. I would however welcome a strong addition of a GM.

Hehe, he was the head of the process for the draft....to suggest he didn't have a huge influence ALL of the drafts for which he was the head of the process is a little assuming don't ya think? I am sure he differed on Arakpo....a lot of us differed on Arakpo. I am also pretty sure his boards brought ALL the other players here. He was fired because John Elway thinks there is a better way for the Broncos. Nothing not to trust here. John alone will be judged by the decisions he makes for the broncos and so far I REALLY like what I am seeing. If you don't trust John in Denver then you probably weren't alive when John was drafted.

Go Elway!!!
Go Fox!!!
Go Broncos!!!

BroncosAreMyFavorite
05-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Yes man got fired, no surprise. Didn't have what it took to be a GM in the first place.

All it took to be Gm of the Broncos was agree to trade Jay Cutler, half the people on this forum could have been Gm for the Broncos

flosstein
05-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Saw this coming after "The Quest for Manning". In all the PR, it was always Fox and Elway. No pics of Xander's walking Manning into facility. It's no secret he was the last Tebow guy in the building also. Now couple that with the lack of backbone, and there u have it. King Elway declared "off with his head!

All Hail King Elway!!!!!!!!

johnlimburg
05-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Saw this coming after "The Quest for Manning". In all the PR, it was always Fox and Elway. No pics of Xander's walking Manning into facility. It's no secret he was the last Tebow guy in the building also. Now couple that with the lack of backbone, and there u have it. King Elway declared "off with his head!

All Hail King Elway!!!!!!!!

SO you think he was a shot caller with Mcdaniels here ? I never thought he was but if he was than thank god he is gone. I don't think he was though. I always liked Xanders baded off of the radio and what not. However the on thing which pissed me off was when he ripped the Denver Nuggets for trading Melo. He said after they resigned Champ that they like to keep there best players. But he was around when we got rid of our best players and brought in junk to replace them :laugh:

flosstein
05-09-2012, 06:49 AM
No, that's what the backbone part was about, lol! If I remember he even stated as much while McD was still here. I believe he had no input or even knowledge of what McD was doing until it was done and over, which is bad for a GM. I think he had more input in the 2010 draft, than in 2009. That may be evident by our draft being 100x better. Clearly not all McD if u grade all his personnel moves b4 and after that draft.

CoryWinget81
05-09-2012, 06:51 AM
It's as simple as this: Xanders was a yes man, and no one needed him to say yes anymore.

Crazy8
05-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Well just thinking about the NHL alone off the top of my head.

Mario Lemieux - See Penguins.
Dale Tallon - former #2 overall pick... built the Chicago championship team... and now with Florida and has brought that team back to the playoffs...
Stevie Yzerman - excellent playing career, excellent GM + he has had a lot of international success with Hockey canada as amanager.
Bob Gainey - Top 10 pick, multiple cup winner as a player...OH and a Cup winner as a GM as well
Ken Holland - GM for the Red Wings(cup winner) and a former player...
Brian Burke -GM Built the Ducks (cup) the Canucks and now rebuilding the leafs and a former player.
Ray Shero - Former player....Pittsburgh GM... during Cup.

I could keep going....

Not saying I agree with the premise, but what do any of those people have to do with John Elway?

And I don't have to keep going...

I haven't liked a lot of the moves by John, but I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it shakes out. But, make no mistake. John is an egomaniac. So is Jordan. So is Peyton Manning. I believe Tim Tebow is too. It's not a bad thing. It can be, but it's not always. That ego is what makes you think you can go against anyone or anything or any situation. It's what makes you think you can go 99 yards in the AFC Championship. It's what makes you think you deserve the final shot, because you can make that shot in your sleep and you know it. You think you're great. And that's why you think you can get it done. So let's not romanticize John Elway here. I believe that has to stop.

But it's too early to say he's going to fail. We have to wait and see.

JayJack
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I can't remember what thread it was, but I called this a year ago. Too bad for Xanders though, I don't think he ever got a shot at being a "True GM". Now watch him go somewhere else and do a great job. Probably Jacksonville in a year or 2.

Remedy
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Not saying I agree with the premise, but what do any of those people have to do with John Elway?

And I don't have to keep going...

I haven't liked a lot of the moves by John, but I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it shakes out. But, make no mistake. John is an egomaniac. So is Jordan. So is Peyton Manning. I believe Tim Tebow is too. It's not a bad thing. It can be, but it's not always. That ego is what makes you think you can go against anyone or anything or any situation. It's what makes you think you can go 99 yards in the AFC Championship. It's what makes you think you deserve the final shot, because you can make that shot in your sleep and you know it. You think you're great. And that's why you think you can get it done. So let's not romanticize John Elway here. I believe that has to stop.

But it's too early to say he's going to fail. We have to wait and see.

He asked if anyone could name 3 players in any sport who have succeeded in a 'front office role' ....

that was what I was replying too...

Gsam
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Ya think? It's not a secret that Elway had final say on personnel from day 1, so I'm not sure where you are going with that.

And??? 2 weeks away from the draft, and it was a bad pick? If he turns out to be the future franchise QB, then it will have been the right pick and Elway will obviously get all the credit.

Quickly find himself out of scapegoats? I'm sorry... did the Broncos go 4-12 last year? 5-11? No. They made a playoff run during Elway's 1st year as VP of football operations, and then landed the biggest free agent EVER in NFL history. I'm not sure where the scapegoating comes in. That only applies when the team is actually losing repeatedly.

Again, we are less than 2 weeks removed from the draft. If 2 years from now, this draft is viewed as a complete failure, then you can put the blame on Elway for that. Sitting back and making sniping comments about it before a game has been even played is a bit premature. Drafts are constantly overrated and underrated. Let's give it time before we can accurately judge it.

I never said one word about Osweiller being a bad pick did I? I am however stating that a GM that was worried about his job would take a smart pick to save his job NOW as opposed to a developmental QB that wont see the field for 3-4 years. That pick had Elway written all over it. Of course Elway will reap the praise or the scorn depending upon how that turns out.

As for the scapegoat comment. Yes we went to the playoffs last year. Yes we wet the bed at the end of the season last year. We had the opportunity to close out the season but didn't capitalize. We limped in on others failures at the end, not our success.

Also, The same person who Elway was so eager to ship out of town for a 4th round pick is the main reason why we made it to the playoffs and actually won a game. Say what you will, but Elway gets "0" credit for Tebow or what he turned last season into. I personally believe Elway figured Tebow would flop and it would kill tebowmania, how wrong he was.

Landing the biggest FA in NFL history is a big deal. Manning clearly related more to a former player than to the FO types. Great. In concept it looks good, now lets see what actually happens. If manning stinks then Elway is going to look the fool for signing a 36 yo QB coming off 4 neck surgeries. If he does great, then thats another feather in his cap.

I agree, this draft wont be judged for years. I am actually quite happy with the Wolfe / Hillman picks and I like the gambles we took on some of the later round guys too. I am actually ok with the Osweiller pick. Again, I just think that Elway has much to learn still and I dont think he should be the only one making calls. That model really hasn't worked well in the past 4-5 years. Its a model that is dying out. Belichek, Reed, and who else still operate that way?

BluenOrnge4Life
05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I agree, this draft wont be judged for years. I am actually quite happy with the Wolfe / Hillman picks and I like the gambles we took on some of the later round guys too. I am actually ok with the Osweiller pick. Again, I just think that Elway has much to learn still and I dont think he should be the only one making calls. That model really hasn't worked well in the past 4-5 years. Its a model that is dying out. Belichek, Reed, and who else still operate that way?

Elway isn't the coach. Those guys are coaches who run the entire organization & they are the few that are successful because in Today's NFL it's just too much. Too much goes into the draft & free agency to handle that, and manage the team.

Furthermore, as far as we know, Elway & Fox are still going to be in agreement on picks. They said from the start that it would be collaborative... how much Xanders was involved in that collaboration doesn't really matter - or maybe it was the problem because he was too much of a yes man - because Elway is the VP of football operations, John Fox is the head coach, and Xanders basically oversaw scouting. Well Elway basically promoted people to cover that, so Xanders isn't really needed anymore.

Regardless, every organization has a guy who makes the final call on personnel moves, no matter how much discussion is involved. Whether it's the head coach, GM, Vice President, etc. Every NFL organization has one guy who makes the final call. It's no different here.

getlynched47
05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't like that we don't have a GM. I don't like it at all. Elway is stupid if he believes he's going to take over all of Xanders' responsibilities on top of his own.

broncolee
05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't like that we don't have a GM. I don't like it at all. Elway is stupid if he believes he's going to take over all of Xanders' responsibilities on top of his own.

He's already hired other people to cover responsibilities that are normally covered by a GM.

johnlimburg
05-10-2012, 05:29 AM
No, that's what the backbone part was about, lol! If I remember he even stated as much while McD was still here. I believe he had no input or even knowledge of what McD was doing until it was done and over, which is bad for a GM. I think he had more input in the 2010 draft, than in 2009. That may be evident by our draft being 100x better. Clearly not all McD if u grade all his personnel moves b4 and after that draft.

Backbone has nothing to do with it and I do not blame him for not standing up to Mcdaniels. Mcdaniels would cut you free as quick as look as you if you didn't do it his way.

I don't know. I think it was always a collaboration but I just think Xanders was a scout with a fancy title. That is it.

Crazy8
05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
He asked if anyone could name 3 players in any sport who have succeeded in a 'front office role' ....

that was what I was replying too...

I know.

I'm not faulting your answer. Your answer was flawless. I'm finding fault in the original question I guess. Even if there's a long list, what does that have to do with Elway?

22cannon
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Bye Xanders, we really never knew what you did here.

Could we please hire a "real" GM ?

azbroncofan77
05-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Since it seemed like Xanders was there agreeing with everything McD did, I was expecting him to get fired right after him.

broncolee
05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Since it seemed like Xanders was there agreeing with everything McD did, I was expecting him to get fired right after him.

Well, it's not like he would have come out said that he disagreed with everything McDaniels did, if he expected to keep his job.

I think he served his purpose after Elway was brought in and now it's time to move on.

horseplay
05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Wow. Did anyone see this coming?

i didn't,but after some of the questionable trades i was wanting it.thanks john you are the man!