PDA

View Full Version : NFL.Com - 4 Teams get an A grade

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

I agree with the Bengals, they did really well. To get Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Still, M Jones, Sanu and O Charles was a pretty incredible draft.

The Giants did pretty good with D Wilson, Hosley and R Randle but I wouldn't class it an A, maybe a B

Don't know how the Pats got an A, It seems they were generous to the 2 SB teams and gave them an A on reputation then the actual draft. Chandler Jones was a decent pick although IMO is a little over-rated, plenty of pass rushers were chosen ahead of him. Hightower was a decent pick, an end of round one player who is strictly a 3-4 ILB, an obvious pick. Dennard was an OK late pick, although I was never high on him. They had some massive reaches, like T Wilson in the second.

How on earth the Chiefs got an A amazes me, I thought they had a pretty bad draft. It depends how high you are on Poe, I never liked him all off-season, to take someone at 11 who was a workout warrior and struggled at MEMPHIS was a huge risk to take that high. IMO he is a classic 'Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane' type player

J Allen is a versatile OL'men in the second, Wylie has promise but was a big reach. The Browns got slammed for reaching on Travis Benjamin. Cyrus Gray is OK, Menzie was a good late pick.

I think the only A in the draft should be the Bengals.

Maybe the Steelers could go into this list.

ruksak
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Most grades I've seen have the Colts as an 'A'. He didn't really explain why he only graded them at 'B', though he only had good things to say about their draft.

Personally I graded them at a solid 'A'

The first four picks for the Colts were great IMO.

I disagree with the Giants grade. More in the 'B' range at best.

HavoK471
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
The Bengals and Steelers deserve an A

The Pats had two solid picks but after that it went down hill

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Most grades I've seen have the Colts as an 'A'. He didn't really explain why he only graded them at 'B', though he only had good things to say about their draft.

Personally I graded them at a solid 'A'

The first four picks for the Colts were great IMO.

I disagree with the Giants grade. More in the 'B' range at best.

I would probably put it as an A as well, it was very good.

The first 3 picks were all quality, I like Hilton, Brazill is an interesting pick, he can fly.

I don't like Ballard but its no biggie.

To be fair though when you pick at the top of each round you are probably going to have a great draft.

Chapman was a good pick up too if he checks out medically.

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
The Bengals and Steelers deserve an A

The Pats had two solid picks but after that it went down hill

Yeah Steelers done well, after thinking about it I would probably give them a B.

DeCastro, Spence, Ta'amu and Rainey I like. I think Adams is a massive bust though, I would of hated him in round 2

1.24 David DeCastro, G, Stanford
2.24 Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
3.23 Sean Spence, OLB, Miami
4.14 Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington
5.24 Chris Rainey, RB, Florida

ruksak
05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
To be fair though when you pick at the top of each round you are probably going to have a great draft.

Where I give the Colts credit is that they didn't trade back. They stuck to the BPA philosophy with zeal. They traded up to grab Hilton (<<love that pick), but they made sure to stay at the top of the rounds for their early, and most important, first four picks.

BroncoFanBoy
05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I think the Steelers should've gotten an A. I really liked their draft. David DeCastro shouldn't have fell that far, but he did, and they get a steal and fill a need.

I also like their Ta'amu pick. Casey Hampton is getting up there in age, and they get a huge young DT to be his replacement. I wanted him but we took Phillip Blake instead.

bronx_2003
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Where I give the Colts credit is that they didn't trade back. They stuck to the BPA philosophy with zeal. They traded up to grab Hilton (<<love that pick), but they made sure to stay at the top of the rounds for their early, and most important, first four picks.

I think trading down might of been good but you drafted good players so it doesn't matter.

AC1
05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

I agree with the Bengals, they did really well. To get Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Still, M Jones, Sanu and O Charles was a pretty incredible draft.

The Giants did pretty good with D Wilson, Hosley and R Randle but I wouldn't class it an A, maybe a B

Don't know how the Pats got an A, It seems they were generous to the 2 SB teams and gave them an A on reputation then the actual draft. Chandler Jones was a decent pick although IMO is a little over-rated, plenty of pass rushers were chosen ahead of him. Hightower was a decent pick, an end of round one player who is strictly a 3-4 ILB, an obvious pick. Dennard was an OK late pick, although I was never high on him. They had some massive reaches, like T Wilson in the second.

How on earth the Chiefs got an A amazes me, I thought they had a pretty bad draft. It depends how high you are on Poe, I never liked him all off-season, to take someone at 11 who was a workout warrior and struggled at MEMPHIS was a huge risk to take that high. IMO he is a classic 'Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane' type player

J Allen is a versatile OL'men in the second, Wylie has promise but was a big reach. The Browns got slammed for reaching on Travis Benjamin. Cyrus Gray is OK, Menzie was a good late pick.

I think the only A in the draft should be the Bengals.

Maybe the Steelers could go into this list.

I agree. The Bengals did so well no other team should get an A. The Chargers and Packers did pretty well too, but they're be A- in my book. The Patriots get an A just because of how much the media tries to turn Belichick (who's done nothing without Brady) into some kind of mythical legend.

getlynched47
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
The Bengals owned the draft. Period.

WhoDeyBengals
05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm a Bengals fan. Who wants to touch me?

I SAID WHO WANTS TO FREAKIN' TOUCH ME?!

*ahem*

Yeah, this is like our third really, really good draft in a row. I love the direction my team is heading. I just hope we can keep it going after Zimmer gets a HC gig of his own. I don't know what the future holds, but if one of those receivers work out (and remember, we've got Cincinnati grad Armon Binns waiting in the wings), then we'll be golden.

As for the defensive upgrades, my only complaint is that we didn't address LB or DE in the draft, but I guess we'll see what happens with Vontaze Burfict. I'd be fine with him replacing Maualuga if he works hard and earns his spot.

canadiansbronco
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
The Bengals draft made me cry because i wanted the broncos to have that, they basicaly grabbed 5 first round player from the 1st to 5th round.

Lucky them

AC1
05-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm a Bengals fan. Who wants to touch me?

I SAID WHO WANTS TO FREAKIN' TOUCH ME?!

*ahem*

Yeah, this is like our third really, really good draft in a row. I love the direction my team is heading. I just hope we can keep it going after Zimmer gets a HC gig of his own. I don't know what the future holds, but if one of those receivers work out (and remember, we've got Cincinnati grad Armon Binns waiting in the wings), then we'll be golden.

As for the defensive upgrades, my only complaint is that we didn't address LB or DE in the draft, but I guess we'll see what happens with Vontaze Burfict. I'd be fine with him replacing Maualuga if he works hard and earns his spot.

The Bengals have been drafting really well of late. I can't believe I'm saying that. What's behind the change? that outsiders aren't seeing? Is Mike Brown's daughter really the big difference-maker?

I would have been ecstatic if the Broncos came away with Devon Still and Brandon Thompson. Shaun Prater was also on my wishlist for the Broncos. You guys also got three really good pass-catchers and two of the safest picks in the first-round. Heck, you could take out the first round and it is still a really good draft.

Of course, as always time will tell.

WhoDeyBengals
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
The Bengals have been drafting really well of late. I can't believe I'm saying that. What's behind the change? that outsiders aren't seeing? Is Mike Brown's daughter really the big difference-maker?
Honestly, I'm not really sure what to tell you. Here's what I know for sure — when Lewis was negotiating his current contract, he stated that he wanted to have more input into personnel decisions. He said he needed some assurances in order to stick around. I think he got those, and it looks like Mike Brown has kept his word and stayed away from the draft room. Katie Blackburn has publicly stated that when she inherits control of the team, she will hire a general manager. Who knows... that GM might be Marvin Lewis. I'm very firmly an "In-Marvin-We-Trust" guy now.

I would have been ecstatic if the Broncos came away with Devon Still and Brandon Thompson. Shaun Prater was also on my wishlist for the Broncos. You guys also got three really good pass-catchers and two of the safest picks in the first-round. Heck, you could take out the first round and it is still a really good draft.

Of course, as always time will tell.
Indeed, time will tell. I've seen plenty of drafts get A grades from the experts immediately afterwards, only to see them turn into Cs and Ds a few years later when we find out what those players really are in the NFL. I remember the Steelers getting a great grade the year they picked Limas Sweed in the second round. But we had several areas worthy of upgrade and I think we hit most of them pretty solidly. Only pick that surprised me was TE Orson Charles, but that was just too good to pass up. Dalton has PLENTY of weapons to throw to now.

Did I mention it doesn't suck to be me right now? :D

AC1
05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Honestly, I'm not really sure what to tell you. Here's what I know for sure — when Lewis was negotiating his current contract, he stated that he wanted to have more input into personnel decisions. He said he needed some assurances in order to stick around. I think he got those, and it looks like Mike Brown has kept his word and stayed away from the draft room. Katie Blackburn has publicly stated that when she inherits control of the team, she will hire a general manager. Who knows... that GM might be Marvin Lewis. I'm very firmly an "In-Marvin-We-Trust" guy now.

Indeed, time will tell. I've seen plenty of drafts get A grades from the experts immediately afterwards, only to see them turn into Cs and Ds a few years later when we find out what those players really are in the NFL. I remember the Steelers getting a great grade the year they picked Limas Sweed in the second round. But we had several areas worthy of upgrade and I think we hit most of them pretty solidly. Only pick that surprised me was TE Orson Charles, but that was just too good to pass up. Dalton has PLENTY of weapons to throw to now.

Did I mention it doesn't suck to be me right now? :D

Haha...given everything your fanbase has had to go through in the last decade plus, I'm sure no one will grudge you your success.

Charlie Brown
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Bucky Brooks, the author of this article doesn't know the first thing about anything.

The Bengals had good draft - no argument there.

The Browns had a horribe draft and he gives them a B.

Every single pick the Browns made in the draft is questionable - even Trent Richardson is questionable in regards to his knee which he had to have his knee scoped.

None of them have looked good, in fact 2 of the first five handoffs to Richardson in camp today resulted in fumbles.

This draft for the Browns deserves to be a D- or an F, not a B.