05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
That's a very optimistic article. And I like it!!! :thumb:

SouthernBronco
05-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I like optimism! ;)

ebsoria
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I like optimism! ;)

Me too. And a bit 'o the orange kool-aid.

Atwnbroncfan
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Every Mountain West fan knows this kid is a killer.

THEdraftnik
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
The Denver Broncos found a bargain in the 2012 draft. Discovering Ronnie Hillman in the third round is the equivalent of finding a cache of gold coins under your bed.

He’s fast. He’s deceptively tough. He’s elusive in the same way Barry Sanders was once elusive. And he’s only 20 following his departure, after two seasons, from San Diego State.

I believe Hillman will bring instant results to the Broncos, especially as he works alongside Peyton Manning. The Broncos found a first-round pick in the third round.

I’ve seen Hillman at his best during the past two seasons as he delivered pain to the lives of Air Force coaches. In two games against the Falcons, Hillman rampaged for 363 yards and four touchdowns while personally handing two defeats to Air Force.

“This guy,” said Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, “is a home run. And he could not be in an offense more suited to his talent than Denver’s.”

Calhoun still remembers, in vivid detail, Hillman’s run against the Falcons in 2010. Hillman bolted through the middle of Air Force’s defense in the second quarter and encountered half the Falcons' roster.

“Four guys literally had great angles,” Calhoun said, “and yet you were reaching. You would be ready to put a face on him, and all of a sudden you’re grabbing air. All of a sudden he’s gone.”

Hillman offered equal opportunity in his thrashing of opponents. In two seasons at SDSU, he collected 3,243 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Still, there are questions about Hillman. He’s slender by NFL standards, even if he packs nearly 200 pounds on his 5-foot-9 frame.

Air Force defensive line coach Ron Burton knows about the punishing nature of the pro game. He played linebacker four seasons in the NFL, and started at outside linebacker for the Cowboys in 1989.

Burton admires Hillman’s toughness and knack for being where tacklers are not, but he wonders about the young back’s durability. These doubts are the main reason Hillman fell out of the first two rounds.

“I wonder,” Burton said, “whether he can hold up physically.”

But Hillman has a special knack of eluding the big hits that shorten running backs’ careers. This is the same knack Colorado College star Marty Sertich displayed while avoiding a wide variety of college hockey goons. When the goons attacked, they only delivered glancing blows.

Same is true with Hillman. Of course he gets tackled, but seldom is he punished.

Air Force defensive coordinator Charlton Warren will not miss Hillman.

“Oh, no,” he said, laughing. “Not at all.”

But he will miss watching tape of Hillman tormenting other teams. Hillman would bust through the middle, offering his undersized frame as a tempting target for linebackers and cornerbacks.

Disaster seemed imminent, but disaster never quite arrived.

“He can make guys miss in small spaces,” Warren said. “He never really takes a big hit because he has a way of bending his body to elude tacklers.”

In many ways, Hillman reminds me of Clinton Portis, who rushed for 3,099 yards for the Broncos in two seasons. You never would believe Portis could run over tacklers if you saw him without his pads. Same is true for Hillman.

It’s always a mystery what will happen when a college star jumps to the more violent, more demanding realm of the NFL. Hillman could be a bust.

But that’s not my prediction. I believe the Broncos grabbed a star in the third round. This is one of the better picks in the franchise’s recent history.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I agree and i'm not too worried about durability. He's the change of pace guy... he won't get the bulk of the carries, and it's a pass happy offense with Peyton Manning anyways, so he should hold up just fine.

PioneerBroncFan
05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree and i'm not too worried about durability. He's the change of pace guy... he won't get the bulk of the carries, and it's a pass happy offense with Peyton Manning anyways, so he should hold up just fine.

Sorry but Hillman is sooooooo much more than a change of pace back. He was a workhorse with the ability to go all the way on any down or distance. I don't know if you have ever seen him run live but there wasn't a person from CSU or Airforce that got their helmet on him in two years of play.

broncos SB2010
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Sorry but Hillman is sooooooo much more than a change of pace back. He was a workhorse with the ability to go all the way on any down or distance. I don't know if you have ever seen him run live but there wasn't a person from CSU or Airforce that got their helmet on him in two years of play.

I agree, Hillman was a great pickup. I was at one of those Air Force games the article talked about...Hillman demolished them. he will make the offense so much more explosive and unpredictable..I can hardly wait for TC... is it July yet???

BluenOrnge4Life
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

I see him as a change of pace back from the start, but I eventually see him taking over. I agree.. he's explosive and has game changer written all over him.

sbxxxiichamps
05-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Well as of now Hillman is my favorite pick. I sure hope he doesn't disappoint!!

Gruden called him the next Darren Sproles and this article labels him as Clinton Portis (The productive Bronco not the Deadskin). If Hillman is either of then I will be happy! And if he is a little of both then I will be happier :D

BroncosPWNn00bs
05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks for sharing :salute: Yea, this is probably the pick that I'm most excited about. I cant wait to see him in Orange and Blue. Making defenders miss. I really can't wait to see him. He is probably the player that I cant wait to see play the most this year, outside of Peyton Manning. I think we are in for a fun season this year. :rockon:

Crazy8
05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
People are going to hate me for this, but Doug Martin would've been a better pick at pick 25.

And Darren Sproles carried the load at K-State, but was and is a change of pace back in the NFL.

AdamWeberOrBust
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
People are going to hate me for this, but Doug Martin would've been a better pick at pick 25.

And Darren Sproles carried the load at K-State, but was and is a change of pace back in the NFL.

Yet he's still a potent threat for a touchdown.

Hillman may or may not evolve into a complete back but if he's anything like Sproles then we have ourselves a baller.

Sure Doug would've been a great pick but we already have McGahee taking most of the carries and Hillman will compliment that excellently.

At least I think so anyway

Crazy8
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Yet he's still a potent threat for a touchdown.

Hillman may or may not evolve into a complete back but if he's anything like Sproles then we have ourselves a baller.

Sure Doug would've been a great pick but we already have McGahee taking most of the carries and Hillman will compliment that excellently.

At least I think so anyway

McGahee's on the wrong side of 30. Sometimes backs get old overnight. We need to groom a replacement. Remember how much our running game suffered when McGahee got hurt? As good as Hillman is, we need an every down back for him to compliment, IMO.

Imagine Sproles without LT or even Ingram and Pierre Thomas. I'm not saying Hillman isn't a good pick. I'm just saying for our situation, Doug Martin would've been a better pick. I think there were a couple of guys who might've been better picks at that position. But I'm just talking about Doug Martin at this point. I know I'd feel a whole lot better with Martin in the backfield than I do with Hillman in the backfield.

AdamWeberOrBust
05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
McGahee's on the wrong side of 30. Sometimes backs get old overnight. We need to groom a replacement. Remember how much our running game suffered when McGahee got hurt? As good as Hillman is, we need an every down back for him to compliment, IMO.

Imagine Sproles without LT or even Ingram and Pierre Thomas. I'm not saying Hillman isn't a good pick. I'm just saying for our situation, Doug Martin would've been a better pick. I think there were a couple of guys who might've been better picks at that position. But I'm just talking about Doug Martin at this point. I know I'd feel a whole lot better with Martin in the backfield than I do with Hillman in the backfield.

Well there's no point really worrying about it.

If Hillman evolves into a complete back great but if he's just going to be a "Change of pace" back then we get draft a more complete RB in a later draft.

It's not like we're completely bad at the position. If McGahee plays like he did last year without the defence stacking the box we'll be all better for it.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Except we didn't pick HIllman at 25. We got him in the 3rd round after we took the DT in the 2nd that we so desperately needed.

If Hillman is Darren Sproles then the Broncos got a steal in the 3rd round. People always want to put Labels on backs like it's a stigma. Darren Sproles impacts football games, regardless of what you want to label him.

broncos SB2010
05-09-2012, 01:15 PM

That will depend on how Martin and Wolfe turn out.

dukes88
05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
The more video I watch and articles I read I like this pick more and more... Remember we essentially got Wolfe and Bolden (or Blake) instead of Martin. I think McGahee carries the load (that won't be as tough with the passing focus) and a combination of Moreno, Hillman and Fanin all getting carries this season. If we waived Moreno - then I could have seen picking Martin in the first, but we have not given up on the guy yet. If McGahee declines this year and Moreno/Fanin don't step up I say we use a top 3 (round) pick again in 2013 on a RB and pair them with Hillman. There are hardly any teams that are winning consistently with a workhorse RB... (look at the CJ, Peterson situations).

We have a good stable or runners (young and old).

Crazy8
05-10-2012, 08:26 AM
That will depend on how Martin and Wolfe turn out.

I think we still could've gotten Wolfe in the 2nd if not the 3rd round. There were still plenty of DTs that were supposedly ranked higher than Wolfe on the board. So we could've gone Martin in the 1st, Wolfe in the 2nd, Osweiler in the 3rd (probably), and then carried on with our draft.

It all would've hinged on how much the Broncos coveted Osweiler and if we're the only ones who coveted him that much. I think Osweiler had a shot to still be there in the 3rd. We still could've gone forward and gotten Omar Bolden who might've still been there in the 5th or 6th rounds.

I think we reached on more than a few players who would've been there later.

cdumler7
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I think we still could've gotten Wolfe in the 2nd if not the 3rd round. There were still plenty of DTs that were supposedly ranked higher than Wolfe on the board. So we could've gone Martin in the 1st, Wolfe in the 2nd, Osweiler in the 3rd (probably), and then carried on with our draft.

It all would've hinged on how much the Broncos coveted Osweiler and if we're the only ones who coveted him that much. I think Osweiler had a shot to still be there in the 3rd. We still could've gone forward and gotten Omar Bolden who might've still been there in the 5th or 6th rounds.

I keep reading throughout your thing the word "probably." Every year there are players that somebody thinks was reached on but I've read a few places that had Wolfe ranked higher than any of the DT's still available. Osweiler was being talked about being a late 1st early 2nd at different times by analyst. He was considered the quarterback with the highest upside after the first few guys so I'm guessing some team would have taken a chance late 2nd early 3rd on him. Bolden got rave reviews from quite a few people that said without injury he would have been an early 2nd round pick so I'm guessing he wouldn't have lasted much longer either. You are playing a guessing game when you say a player would have lasted longer than where we picked them. I would have liked the Doug Martin pick but I to be honest liked the Hillman pick better. Getting a guy of his skills in the 3rd round is pretty impressive. He had one of the most productive college careers over the last 2 years and has homerun threat written all over him every single play he gets the ball. The Broncos haven't had a player like that for a while.

broncos SB2010
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM

according to who? Wolfe thought he was going to the Ravens at 35. If the Ravens and Broncos both wanted him that early there were plenty of other teams interested as well. I think you really under valuing the picks. Thinking virtually ALL of them would have been available a full round later is not very realistic.

ajm60
05-10-2012, 09:43 PM
according to who? Wolfe thought he was going to the Ravens at 35. If the Ravens and Broncos both wanted him that early there were plenty of other teams interested as well. I think you really under valuing the picks. Thinking virtually ALL of them would have been available a full round later is not very realistic.

I agree with this from what i have read wolf would not have been there.

BluenOrnge4Life
05-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Ya, for all we know, the Ravens might of passed on him at 35 because they thought he'd be there later too. Michael Lombardi broke down the Broncos draft and said, you stick to your board, and draft the guys you think are going to be great. He said he thought Wolfe would be great, and at the end of the day, nobody cares what rounds you drafted great players in. All that matter is that you got great players. This is about building a team.