PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler's debut

sbxxxiichamps
05-12-2012, 04:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829079d5/article/brock-osweiler-shows-denver-broncos-his-new-throwing-motion?module=HP11_headline_stack

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- He's a big, raw Denver Broncos quarterback with throwing issues who worked with UCLA offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone on his own time to fix flaws.

ATL: Draft fallout
John Elway wasn't afraid to make a move in the draft, leaving the team without a first-round pick. So who starts from this group of rookies? More ...
Sound familiar?

While Tim Tebow's messy mechanics needed tons of work, Brock Osweiler needs more tweaks than anything, and he worked this offseason with Mazzone, who was his offensive coordinator at Arizona State and also served as Tebow's throwing coach.

The Broncos' second-round draft pick took the field at Dove Valley for the first time Friday, participating in the team's three-day rookie minicamp.

Although his right elbow at times dropped below his shoulder and winged out a bit, the 6-foot-7 quarterback showed he's making plenty of progress in capitalizing on his superior size. Some of his throws were so quick, it looked like he was flicking the ball to his receivers.

"This is my first practice with this new throwing motion. I felt very comfortable with it," Osweiler said. "I felt more consistent with my accuracy. Where I was trying to put the ball, for the most part the ball ended up there. So I was very happy with it; now I've just got to keep building upon that."

At times, Osweiler reverted to his old habits, and quarterbacks coach Adam Gase let him know it.

Broncos coach John Fox said Osweiler's work with Mazzone is paying off.

"I think when we went there to Arizona State for a private workout, you could tell that he'd worked on his delivery," Fox said. "It used to be a little bit lower. Guys tweak stuff, whether it's golfers with golf swings or you know players with motions and whatnot. It's not radical. He needs to use his height advantage a little bit better with that higher delivery. He was an accurate passer. I think he became more accurate."

Osweiler's old throwing motion at times negated his height advantage over pass-rushers.

"I would say the main thing would be getting my elbow raised up. A lot of times in college, my elbow would drop below my shoulder, and when you do that, you lose velocity, you lose accuracy, you're less consistent with your throws," Osweiler said. "So, we basically made a huge point to bring that elbow up to a more traditional throwing motion and get it above my shoulder."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

I find it ironic that we get rid of a QB with "questionable" mechanics to bring in a new one with a funny throwing motion. At least Osweiler only needs tweaks :laugh:. But as long as hes getting it done for us in the future I don't care how funny his throws may look! :salute:

jetrazor74
05-12-2012, 04:50 AM
I've wanted Oz since mid-season of last year. I'm pretty stoked that we got him. The thing is, most analysts I saw said that if he had stayed in college this year they would have expected him to be a first round prospect in the '13 draft. We got him a year earlier, and for a cheaper pick and he gets an extra year to glean what he can from two of the GOATs.

I'm excited for the future of this team. :salute: :logo:

sbxxxiichamps
05-12-2012, 04:57 AM
I've wanted Oz since mid-season of last year. I'm pretty stoked that we got him. The thing is, most analysts I saw said that if he had stayed in college this year they would have expected him to be a first round prospect in the '13 draft. We got him a year earlier, and for a cheaper pick and he gets an extra year to glean what he can from two of the GOATs.

I fell in love with Osweiler watching him on Gruden's QB Camp. I definitely think he has what it takes. And the experts can all say he should have stayed a year in college to gain more experience, but hey! I'm sure a few years on a NFL roster behind THE Peyton Manning and working with Mr. Elway can definitely make up for that Senior year.

:goz:

JvDub95
05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
He might have a quirky throwing motion but he gets rid of the ball quickly, that alone is the monster difference between Brock and Tim. Tim holds onto the ball for 5 seconds and then starts his 5 second throwing motion. That and the inability to read the field was the reason why our O-line was not the greatest in pass protection. With Peyton at the helm and Brock learning behind him, our future looks bright :thumb: :goz:

johnlimburg
05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
It is as much about the throwing motion as it is about having a quicker release which Osweiler already had however as Osweiler said with the tweak it will give his ball more velocity and accuarcy. I have never believed in changing a QB's mechanics. It can be ugly but as long as it is quick and the rest of the assets are there than great. Look at Phillip Rivers for example.

However with Brock I expect a up and down pre season. I actually expect some terrible play from him early on. However he has huge potential and hopefully he can develop and live up to the potential. He has the natural talent. Hopefully he has it behind the ears. Learning from Manning and picking up on how he works should teach Osweiler the right way to play and prepare for football. That will be the biggest thing he probably will pick up. The work habbits of Manning.

johnlimburg
05-12-2012, 07:13 AM
It isn't as much about the throwing motion as it is about having a quicker release which Osweiler already had however as Osweiler said with the tweak it will give his ball more velocity and accuarcy. I have never believed in changing a QB's mechanics. It can be ugly but as long as it is quick and the rest of the assets are there than great. Look at Phillip Rivers for example.

EDIT: Damn probation

Kansas Bob
05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829079d5/article/brock-osweiler-shows-denver-broncos-his-new-throwing-motion?module=HP11_headline_stack

I find it ironic that we get rid of a QB with "questionable" mechanics to bring in a new one with a funny throwing motion. At least Osweiler only needs tweaks :laugh:. But as long as hes getting it done for us in the future I don't care how funny his throws may look! :salute:Some of this might be that Tebow was brought here by a previous regime and Elway hand picked Oz! I would trust Elway's judgement in this case. I hope Osweiler is a multiple All Pro!

darklord
05-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Wasn't a fan when we picked thought there were other needs but anyway I see where the FO is coming from I think we all know he is raw but he has game and a great arm so if he can improve on his accuracy and mechanics and learn for a few seasons he might end up being really good

InsaneBlaze23
05-12-2012, 03:56 PM

I fell in love with Osweiler watching him on Gruden's QB Camp. I definitely think he has what it takes. And the experts can all say he should have stayed a year in college to gain more experience, but hey! I'm sure a few years on a NFL roster behind THE Peyton Manning and working with Mr. Elway can definitely make up for that Senior year.

:goz:

Agreed with the above.

I didn't even know who Osweiler was until the season was over and reports was out that our Front Office was high on him. When I heard that report back in what late January-early March. I researched the guy, started to like him.

Saw the Gruden's QB camp with him, became really excited that we drafted him. The guy has some serious potential and will be learning from not 1 but 2 hall of fame QB's. 2 Super Bowl winning QB's. 1 QB whom is prototype, everything you want in a QB, 1 whom was a little questionable coming out. It's the best of both words for a rookie whom is both what Peyton is and what Elway was coming out if not better.

He has a odd throwing motion but it's a fast one, Tebow didn't get the ball out fast, and had a horrid motion not a odd one.
But that's pretty much where Brock's mechanic issues end, Tebows goes on.

I know Brock has some doubters here on the board, watch the guys tape, listen to him speak, watch the camps, watch preseason before saying "We wasted a pick, we reached." We drafted a QB whom would have been a 1st round pick next year.

Kansas Bob
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I loved Tebow for being Tebow and overcoming all challenges, but I must admit that Osweiler has much more upside and much better skill level than Tebow. I would have liked Denver to draft Mannings replacement next season rather than this year but they may know more about how long Manning will be a Bronco than I do! [
In Fox/Elway I trust! lol

Soulbender
05-12-2012, 07:20 PM
I loved Tebow for being Tebow and overcoming all challenges, but I must admit that Osweiler has much more upside and much better skill level than Tebow. I would have liked Denver to draft Mannings replacement next season rather than this year but they may know more about how long Manning will be a Bronco than I do! [
In Fox/Elway I trust! lol

I don't think the pick of OZ has anything to do with Elway/Fox knowing more about how long Manning will be here. I think it's more about the fact that they expect us to go deep in the playoffs this coming year which results in an even lower pick in next years draft. They looked at who may be available next year compared to who was still left this year. They seen OZ work out and seen something they liked. It's going to give them plenty of time to work with OZ without having a legion of fans chanting his name everytime Manning throws an incomplete or interception. I like the pick and in 4-5 years we will all be happy with it as well!!

JakeNbake
05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
http://distilleryimage6.instagram.com/96463dc49b9d11e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

CoryWinget81
05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Look how tiny the ball is in his hands!

EddieMac
05-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Look how tiny the ball is in his hands!

Thats what she said?

Crazy8
05-14-2012, 06:53 AM
This is a stab at having a QB of the future. The guy's got some pretty good intangibles in his own right. Seems like a good kid. Seems like he's a hard worker. I love his toughness. He's got some smarts too. I really love his ability to make quick reads. That's what I look for in a QB. Can he make those quick reads in an "if/then" scenario? Osweiler can do that.

I don't have a problem with the pick. I do have a problem with where we made the pick. He probably would've been there in the 3rd round.

But by the same token, I understand why they took him where they took him. Maybe they were afraid someone was going to take him before their pick in the 3rd round and they wanted this kid so bad that they had to get him. I have no problem with that. They've done more work and studied him more than I have. It's just not quite what I would've done. But that's okay. Hopefully this works out and the Broncos are set at QB for a long, long time.

johnlimburg
05-14-2012, 07:05 AM
I don't have a problem with the pick. I do have a problem with where we made the pick. He probably would've been there in the 3rd round.

It is very very doubtful he would have been there at our original 3rd round pick. Very doubtful. Osweiler was the concensus 5th rated quarterback. After Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden it was Osweiler is the next best quarterback in the draft. However in the 3rd round there were 2 quarterbacks drafted. One before our original 3rd. If we wanted Osweiler we needed to get him where we did. It is very doubtful he would have been around later.

Crazy8
05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
It is very very doubtful he would have been there at our original 3rd round pick. Very doubtful. Osweiler was the concensus 5th rated quarterback. After Luck, RG3, Tannehill and Weeden it was Osweiler is the next best quarterback in the draft. However in the 3rd round there were 2 quarterbacks drafted. One before our original 3rd. If we wanted Osweiler we needed to get him where we did. It is very doubtful he would have been around later.

Right. But that's the question. I understand it if we "had to have him". But was that the case? I don't know that. The question comes in, is Osweiler that much better than say, Kirk Cousins? He has a higher ceiling. But at this point, I'm not sure that means anything. Cousins has a higher floor, and who knows about his ceiling?

Like I said, I get it. I just don't know I would've done it. I really do hope that Osweiler becomes "the guy" to take over after Peyton without missing a beat, though.

Rollo
05-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Brock has a lot of upside. He has an advantage on many players just because of his size. He would of been a top 10 pick next year, so I'm very happy with the pick.

LarryDean
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Brock has a lot of upside. He has an advantage on many players just because of his size. He would of been a top 10 pick next year, so I'm very happy with the pick.

I've been noticing this point being made the last couple of days and I must say I really didn't think about it in that way during the draft...It makes a lot sense and the ideal of drafting him and the overall draft look that much better..

I also seen a video on here giving praise to the late round draft picks and the UDFA that the Broncos was able to bring in ... It helped put that in perspective as well ..

I still think the Broncos could've had a better draft but the point about Brock being a possible top ten and first round draft pick next year is the best advocating point I've seen in regards to how the Broncos drafted ...