PDA

View Full Version : Hillman brings Sproles-like threat to Broncos

destrukt
05-15-2012, 02:19 PM
The Denver Broncos believe they've acquired a secret weapon in the form of rookie running back Ronnie Hillman.

At first blush, Hillman isn't your typical John Fox back. He doesn't project as a bruiser between the tackles, but his ability to catch the ball -- and his blazing speed -- drew an interesting comparison Tuesday.

"To be able to have a weapon like Ronnie Hillman, he's a lot like a (Darren) Sproles," John Elway told Broncos season-ticket holders. "You can get great matchups ... (a) great change-of-pace back."

After the draft, Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, called the 5-foot-9 Hillman "electric," saying: "He's got a chance to make that big play."

When Denver traded up in the third round of the draft to grab Hillman out of San Diego State, it had everything to do with Peyton Manning. There was nobody on the roster with Hillman's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, but he'll need to prove he can block for his quarterback.

We'll pump the brakes on comparing him to Sproles -- who was outrageous paired with Drew Brees in New Orleans -- but we expect Hillman to be used heavily in Denver's offense next season. Willis McGahee remains the starter, and Lance Ball has a place here, but Knowshon Moreno could be the odd man out barring a sensational camp.

#24 Next Champ
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Something we've desperately lacked out of our backfield for the longest time

broncos SB2010
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
The Denver Broncos believe they've acquired a secret weapon in the form of rookie running back Ronnie Hillman.

At first blush, Hillman isn't your typical John Fox back. He doesn't project as a bruiser between the tackles, but his ability to catch the ball -- and his blazing speed -- drew an interesting comparison Tuesday.

"To be able to have a weapon like Ronnie Hillman, he's a lot like a (Darren) Sproles," John Elway told Broncos season-ticket holders. "You can get great matchups ... (a) great change-of-pace back."

After the draft, Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, called the 5-foot-9 Hillman "electric," saying: "He's got a chance to make that big play."

When Denver traded up in the third round of the draft to grab Hillman out of San Diego State, it had everything to do with Peyton Manning. There was nobody on the roster with Hillman's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, but he'll need to prove he can block for his quarterback.

We'll pump the brakes on comparing him to Sproles -- who was outrageous paired with Drew Brees in New Orleans -- but we expect Hillman to be used heavily in Denver's offense next season. Willis McGahee remains the starter, and Lance Ball has a place here, but Knowshon Moreno could be the odd man out barring a sensational camp.

I agree with that except I'm not sure why they think Ball has a place here. Not saying he doesn't but I don't see anything for sure with him.

BeavisBronco
05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
One of my favorite picks and most anticipated players to watch for this coming season.

CinnaMunMun
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Something we've desperately lacked out of our backfield for the longest time

Last time we had a HR guy, it was Tatum Bell.

Very glad to have that threat back!

underrated29
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Nice article but the knowshon bias is a little ridiculous.

No one on the roster to catch the ball out the backfield..?????
Knowshon is the best we have on the team at that, and hilman i doubt is better at it. As good maybe but better- thats hard pressed.
Also there is no way on gods green earth that ball makes the team and knowshon does not (UNLESS- knowshon gets hurt again- that would make sense, but there is nothing ball has on knowshon.)

InElwayWeTrust
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
If he ends up being even close to how good Sproles is I would do backflips. :D

jarbronco
05-15-2012, 05:21 PM
If he ends up being even close to how good Sproles is I would do backflips. :D

With a layout and a twist...

McLean
05-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Knowshon is the best we have on the team at that, and hilman i doubt is better at it. As good maybe but better- thats hard pressed.
Also there is no way on gods green earth that ball makes the team and knowshon does not (UNLESS- knowshon gets hurt again- that would make sense, but there is nothing ball has on knowshon.)

Thats exactly what i was thinking, didnt make too much sense lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm not so sure why the Denver media is so down on Moreno. When he's healthy he's one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. I would be surprised if he didn't get significant playing time this year.

one_bad_55
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm not so sure why the Denver media is so down on Moreno. When he's healthy he's one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. I would be surprised if he didn't get significant playing time this year.

Isn't he still rehabbing his knee? Last I heard was he was going to be out until training camp which will mean he will not be in shape and ready to go.

I had high hopes for him but he just hasn't been able to stay on the field. I hope he makes this a competition because honestly having Ball over Moreno kind of scares me. LOL

PhoenixDread
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

Let's not kid ourselves here

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

I'm not going to argue that Hillman isn't faster. However, there is a lot of pretense on this message board about Moreno's receiving ability. If I'm not mistaken, he was the only RB in the NFL to average over 10ypc during the 2010 season. He is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL.

BroncoooJohnson
05-15-2012, 10:12 PM

Depends on the situation, Moreno is perfect in the red zone with Manning, and on early downs. He has flashed the ability to catch the ball with ease, make defenders miss, and finish runs in the red zone for TDs.

SoundsOfSuccess
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM

In all fairness, Knowshon is a monster in the open field and has solid hands. Get him in space and he'll make a play, and he's done this before very well.

Although Hillman is getting a lot of hype, he's done nothing in the NFL yet. Every year there are backs coming out of the draft who are looked at as Sproles type backs. The only two backs in the league that have truly played the similar role are Reggie Bush and Danny Woodhead, a top pick and a nonpick.

I have the highest hopes for Hillman and I love the kid. But let's be fair here, what he is apparently coming in to do is something Knowshon has suceeded at.

InElwayWeTrust
05-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Knowshon succeeds at it, but only when he isn't hurt or falling off exercise bikes. He is so injury probe and unreliable. I really do hope for the best, and maybe Manning's offense will bring out the Knowhon we've been waiting to see, but my expectations for him are set at EXTREMELY low at this point.

JvDub95
05-16-2012, 04:11 AM
I agree with that except I'm not sure why they think Ball has a place here. Not saying he doesn't but I don't see anything for sure with him.

He does have a place if Knowshon is the odd man out. I'm sure there are some other young talent RB's that have caught your eye but the fact remains that Ball has game experience that is valuable to the coaching staff.

bronx_2003
05-16-2012, 04:19 AM
I will be McGahee, Hillman and Moreno, who is a good third down back.

I can't see anyone else, even Fannin, breaking into that. It will be very tough, they really have to bring it in TC

shawinkerpoppin
05-16-2012, 04:28 AM
I will be McGahee, Hillman and Moreno, who is a good third down back.

I can't see anyone else, even Fannin, breaking into that. It will be very tough, they really have to bring it in TC

i agree with this.

i also think hillman might be a bit of insurance incase knowshons knee injury sets him back. he already wasnt very fast or explosive and if he lost a step due to that knee then knowshon could very well be cut before its all said and done.

broncos SB2010
05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
He does have a place if Knowshon is the odd man out. I'm sure there are some other young talent RB's that have caught your eye but the fact remains that Ball has game experience that is valuable to the coaching staff.

I don't buy the Moreno is odd man out line. He is still a good RB and will probably start on the PUP list list. He would be able to come in after week 6, healthy with fresh legs which may great down the stretch run. I would take Moreno over Ball easy. I don't even know if Ball would make the team over Fannin or JJ. McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman would be a great 3 RB corp, with one of the others as #4...I would like that.

Ohenhen12345
05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
I have my doubts, hopefully I am wrong.

CanDB
05-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm with the folks here who still think Moreno has value for our team. Had it not been for that last injury, he was on the verge of making some really positive yardage. Sure it's a flaw, but don't cast him off until he's done.

Moreno is a top quality 3rd down back. If right, he can carry the load as well, and is not afraid to hit inside holes, and block effectively.

I like Hillman's potential, but so far he is not a proven commodity in the NFL. If he can bring his game to this level, we will be fine, but we still need a hard-nosed back who can move the chains, and right now it's McGahee and Moreno - if healthy.

Imagine however if our backs do stay healthy this year..................LOOK OUT!!!

underrated29
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Lets also not kis ourselves that when on 3rd down and the ravens blitz- do we want peytons last line of defense to be 190lb hilman blocking Rey Lewis or our best pass blocking RB Moreno.

rogue719
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Two problems with Knowshon, though: First, he has a real problem staying healthy. Second, while he has occasional good runs in the broken field, all too often he tends to run into traffic that he might be able to avoid. Not saying Hillman won't look just like him in the game, but I've wondered if Moreno's vision in finding the hole is lacking compared to a number of other backs.

I agree. Knowshon > Ball.

PhoenixDread
05-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Lets also not kis ourselves that when on 3rd down and the ravens blitz- do we want peytons last line of defense to be 190lb hilman blocking Rey Lewis or our best pass blocking RB Moreno.

While that may be a problem, we don't know how well of a blocker Hillman will be. One thing we do know is that Manning gets the ball out quickly and most teams know better than to blitz him. Sending Hillman in motion or on a chip-and-go makes blitzing even more dangerous, don't you think?

Crush Arizona
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Knowshon well lets just call it the way it is and that is NO SHOW!! yeah he has had a couple of GREATgames and sometimes he looks like he is getting ready to make the next step and then oops out for the season for the most part. Shades of Chris Chandler or should I say Chandelier. no one was more excited about the draft pick when we got him than me, but it hasn't worked out I hope he makes the turn but I havn't seen nuthing that makes me believe he is a baller.

Crush Arizona
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
lOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT! Let Hillman make some returns and see if he has the step.

Crush Arizona
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Amen Brother, and a TRIPLE LINDY INTO A DIXIE CUP OF H2O!

Kazmo
05-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Moreno has one thing over the rest of the RBs... He can block reallllllly well. He is the perfect Peyton Manning back if you discount the injuries.

Sadly, this is football and you can't discount the injuries.

kingelway7
05-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Moreno has a lot of potential but you cant fulfill that potential when you're hurt as often as Moreno has been.

Iron Clady
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I think we'll keep 4 RBs on the roster. I think McGahee and Hillman are the only locks to make the roster. Then I think we keep 2 out of Ball, Moreno, Fannin, and Jeremiah Johnson. I would say Moreno and Fannin have the best chance unless Fannin really comes back strong. Then maybe Fannin and/or Jeremiah Johnson on the practice squad. I'm not sure what Johnson's PS eligibility is.

So I think 4 RBs on the roster: McGahee, Hillman, Ball, Moreno
PS: Fannin, Johnson (maybe)

BANJOPICKER1
05-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by InElwayWeTrust

If he ends up being even close to how good Sproles is I would do backflips.
With a layout and a twist...

1st I want to say that the adult usage of the liquid called Beer is my favorite past time thats non sports related..2nd I would like to say that I could match all of the above movements, twists and all and throw in a 12 ounce curl if he turns out to be Sproles like!:D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goz:

350legend
05-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I feel Hillman will exceed sprolls, as far as all around game!