PDA

View Full Version : The "Original 6" NHL.....

CanDB
05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
As a kid growing up in Canada, I lived and breathed hockey. Back then there were only 6 teams - Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, Boston and The NY Rangers. But we didn't care that there were only 6, because that's all we knew.

Every Saturday night we'd huddle around the black and white TV, and catch Hockey Night In Canada. And just imagine, a busy night in the NHL consisted of 3 games!! But it's all relative.

Then in 1967 expansion became a reality. Doubled the teams. We started to panic a bit, because we feared that the league would become diluted. And the NHL continued to expand, and the opportunities to play in this great league expanded as well.

But as for the talent pool.....some positive things also began to take place. Players started to come here from locations worldwide. And to think that a place like Russia would actually see the benefits of allowing their players join the NHL (of course this wasn't a simple process) was interesting to say the least.

Further, I also believe the USA stepped up its program, to produce a better quality of hockey.....thereby also increasing the available pool. And even though Canada has had a serious rivalry with Russia for decades, I think that many would now measure the Canada/US competition at a higher level of intensity. That bodes well for the great game, as we continue to see positive growth in the league.

And as I think back, I wonder how many good players never had the chance to make it to the "big stage", because of the lack of opportunities. So many talented young men, who probably got as far as The American Hockey League, and played for peanuts.....who would have made it easily through the years of expansion.

~~~~~~~~~~

But for a young kid growing up in Canada, it mattered not about the number of teams, or where the players came from......it was another good Saturday night watching the game......after having played outside for a part of the day, regardless of the temperature.

RealBronco
05-17-2012, 11:54 AM
http://theleafsnation.com/uploads/Image/Original%20Six%20Arenas.jpg

InsaneBlaze23
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
http://webcomicoverlook.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/the-original-six.jpg?w=584&h=499

RealBronco
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
http://webcomicoverlook.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/the-original-six.jpg?w=584&h=499

you don't have the Lions in your sig Mr. Pure Michigan.... ;)

InsaneBlaze23
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
you don't have the Lions in your sig Mr. Pure Michigan.... ;)

Haha, that's because I hate the Lions. Would never disgrace my fandom by putting them in a sig.

RealBronco
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Haha, that's because I hate the Lions. Would never disgrace my fandom by putting them in a sig.

lol fair enough. plus you're a Bronco fan...so that'd be odd.

sorry Can, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I know little about hockey other than I like the Avalanche by association the same way I like the Nuggets. The Rockies just suck though. I'm already a Mariner and Red Sox fan so.

InsaneBlaze23
05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
lol fair enough. plus you're a Bronco fan...so that'd be odd.

sorry Can, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I know little about hockey other than I like the Avalanche by association the same way I like the Nuggets. The Rockies just suck though. I'm already a Mariner and Red Sox fan so.

I'm also a life long Packers fan, that's where the hate for the Lions come from. Growing up in Detroit, while my family all rooted for the Lions, I rooted for the Packers.

Frenchy180
05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
I can't imagine watching a league with only 6 teams... I think things would be much simpler though... It's amazing how many things have changed with the league just in my lifetime though :laugh: