PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Thigh, knee pads mandatory+Trading deadline moved

MarkB
05-22-2012, 11:07 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7959313/nfl-says-players-wear-thigh-knee-pads-2013

ATLANTA -- The NFL has made thigh and knee pads mandatory equipment for the 2013 season, something the players' union could oppose because the move was not collectively bargained.

Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, chairman of the competition committee, says Tuesday at an owners meeting that because this is a playing rule, the league can implement it unilaterally.

The owners also voted to move the trading deadline from after Week 6 to after Week 8, and to allow one "marquee" player placed on injured reserve to return to practice after the sixth game and to the lineup after the eighth game. That player must be on the 53-man roster after the final preseason cut.

The pads rule won't go into effect until 2013 so equipment manufacturers can work on safety and comfort.

InElwayWeTrust
05-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I like both rulings. Good stuff. :thumb:

InsaneBlaze23
05-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Agreed I like both. Would be stupid for the NFLPA to oppose the thigh and knee pads rule. "We here at the NFLPA, don't care for player safety."

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2012, 12:45 PM
No, the mandatory thigh and knee pads rule is dumb (as a player, CB) those pads can really be unnecessary and uncomfortable...plus it's nice to be able to have flexibility if you'd like to have an edge in quickness (which DB's naturally need because they're at a disadvantage)

How many lower extremity injuries are a result of a player not wearing knee or thigh pads on D?

Maybe make them mandatory for anyone on offense and ST's but a pure defensive player like Champ or Revis doesn't need them n should not be forced to wear them when they need every bit of quickness they can get

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2012, 12:47 PM
No, the mandatory thigh and knee pads rule is dumb (as a player, CB) those pads can really be unnecessary and uncomfortable...plus it's nice to be able to have flexibility if you'd like to have an edge in quickness (which DB's naturally need because they're at a disadvantage)

How many lower extremity injuries are a result of a player not wearing knee or thigh pads on D?

Maybe make them mandatory for anyone on offense and ST's but a pure defensive player like Champ or Revis doesn't need them n should not be forced to wear them when they need every bit of quickness they can get

Also add:

Just another rule that will help offenses..

InElwayWeTrust
05-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I completely understand what you're saying #24 Next Champ, but they won't be forcing them to wear big bulky pads. They will be given an option on which pads they wear in their pants, and I'm willing to bet that Nike will have some insanely thin pads. Probably something similar to the pads in NBA players arm sleeves they wear. It won't restrict their movement AT ALL.

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2012, 01:05 PM
I completely understand what you're saying #24 Next Champ, but they won't be forcing them to wear big bulky pads. They will be given an option on which pads they wear in their pants, and I'm willing to bet that Nike will have some insanely thin pads. Probably something similar to the pads in NBA players arm sleeves they wear. It won't restrict their movement AT ALL.

Yeah I hear you, n if true then no biggy but just remembering the pads I use to have to wear...screw that lol

Other rule is nice though but misleading title...still will be a trade deadline but just two weeks later instead

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah I hear you, n if true then no biggy but just remembering the pads I use to have to wear...screw that lol

Other rule is nice though but misleading title...still will be a trade deadline but just two weeks later instead

My mistake I think I read it as *removed

InElwayWeTrust
05-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Yeah I hear ya. I played QB, and I remember fighting all of the d-backs and WR's for the smallest pads. :laugh: I always got the tiniest shoulder pads possible, it looked like I wasn't even wearing any. Lol

InsaneBlaze23
05-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah I hear ya. I played QB, and I remember fighting all of the d-backs and WR's for the smallest pads. :laugh: I always got the tiniest shoulder pads possible, it looked like I wasn't even wearing any. Lol

Didn't have that option in my years of playing. I wore whatever pads the coaches gave me, didn't really matter. I was always given small pads.

// / yardo
05-22-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm with #24. Not necessary for receivers and dbs. I hated those friggin pads.

getlynched47
05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
The NFL is a business, and NFL players are assets. The NFL is just taking another precautionary measure to protect their assets, because of the overwhelming monetary investment in each of them.

Whether players/fans like it or not.

#24 Next Champ
05-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Been there man lol especially in HS

Captain_23
05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I honestly dont believe knee pads and thigh pads will stop torn achillies, torn or sprained ligaments. Wont matter much to the dbs and wrs becausr all they going to do is wear the real thin and small pads anyway.

broncsfan21
05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
This is a dumb rule, because the vast majority of injuries that keep players out for long periods of time will not be affected by these pads.

Concussions, torn ligaments and tendons, strained muscles, etc will be just as prevalent.

Oilersfan34
05-23-2012, 07:21 AM

PUHHHH+LEASE. If16 ounces of padding slow you down you have other problems. Thats a big load of horse pucky. Its just chic not to wear them. Doesnt seem to slow the WR and RB down that wear them.

Oilersfan34
05-23-2012, 07:25 AM

For a QB that makes sense, I had a problem as I played RB and Free Safety. I needed the protection as an RB but the freedom of the smaller pads at FS. One year I ended up going small on thigh / knees and girdle and big on shoulder pads. Worked pretty well until I was trying to intercept something so I switched and tried to use my arms more to keep defenders off of me instead of just trying to run them over because the small pads were like a toy set from the 70's... you felt everything.

BroncoFanNC
05-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Tracy Porter says he has worn knee and thigh pads since his rookie year, he also says he thinks it's a myth, and people are just superstitious, about it slowing them down or reducing their range of motion.

BroncoFanNC
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
This is a dumb rule, because the vast majority of injuries that keep players out for long periods of time will not be affected by these pads.

Concussions, torn ligaments and tendons, strained muscles, etc will be just as prevalent.

They actually are putting the pads in to help reduce concussions, supposedly blows to the head on knees and thighs can be reduced if padding is worn.