PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Nate Lundy's Brilliant Letter to D. Monfort

Broncoholic3233
05-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Dear Mr. Monfort,

Today, you had the opportunity to talk to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post. Your comments, frankly, about the current state of the Colorado Rockies franchise have left even some of the brightest people I know scratching their heads. Confused. A bit annoyed. Insulted. These are just a few of the adjectives I think best describe the emotions being felt by those I've talked to.

Your marketing team declared it to be "The Year of the Fan" for the team, which by the way, we really appreciate here at 104.3 THE FAN. However, I want to point out a small frustration I have. Not intended to be negative at all to our friends at the Denver Post, many of whom appear on The Fan on a regular basis and are part of what makes our sports coverage great. However, when you talk to the paper--the fans can't talk back. They can't ask you a follow-up question of their own. They can't have a chance to reach out to you directly and try to comprehend the meaning behind your words to the Post today. It is great to see you willing to talk to the media. But, both TV and print (in most cases, not all) provide a one-way conversation. You say it. It gets printed or aired. And nothing else happens.

Perhaps asking you to see the power of Talk Radio and its two-way conversation and to join us on air is too much. I'll admit, I'm not sure given FCC rules that I would want to have our listeners with a clear shot to talk to you. We'd have to hit the dump button several times with a few of the more rabid ones. You've probably seen those fans before. They are the ones that buy the tickets, the beer, the hotdogs, the souvenirs, and cheer in the stands. Yeah...those folks listen to us all the time. They aren't too happy right now. But, then again, in the interview with Patrick, you seem to already know that.

So, given that I don't want to make my radio station lose its FCC license, I will simply propose that you come on the air with us and answer our questions. They will be fair, but they will be pointed. Answer them, and maybe it will all make sense. However, if you choose to continue to ignore us, we will simply continue to use the 100,000 watts at our disposal on the FM dial to point out the flaws and ask why. And those voices are probably only going to get louder. I suppose that is really up to you and your team of upper management.

I am well aware that there are members of my radio team here at The Fan that are not well liked by the folks at 20th and Blake. And chances are, I may be one of those people too. But at the end of the day, when you take away the business card I carry around and the microphone at my disposal...I'm just a fan. A fan of the Rockies. And I want my team...that's right, Mr. Monfort, MY TEAM...to get better.

Around our studios, it's been the year of The Fan for more than 17 years. That's how long we've been doing this. In 2012, you and your organization declared it "The Year of the Fan" for your team. Time to prove it.

Sincerely,

Nate Lundy

Program Director, 104.3 The Fan

http://www.1043thefan.com/blog/NateLundy/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10385896

BluenOrnge4Life
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I disagree with a lot of what Nate Lundy says on the Fan, but he is SPOT on.

Well put Nate and Thanks for sharing bro!

BroncoFanBoy
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Very good letter. Monfort better take it into consideration.

Bronco51
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Good find! CP comin. It would be interesting to see if they could structure it in a way where he wasn't answering the same "Are you going to fire Tracy/O'dowd" questions. I would like to hear how he figures that O'dowd is one of the best GM's in the league. Since the all star break in 2010, only the Mariners, Astros, Pirates, and Cubs have fewer wins. How would he explain that? Is he content being a bottom feeder? Is he being constrained by the budget? Are they happy because they still draw 30K a game? I doubt he would go on the show, but it would be nice to hear why there is no accountability going on.

Blondie79
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
great post/letter and i completely agree with him 110%