PDA

View Full Version : Moreno on the Hot Seat

$Broncos$
05-26-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8295c468/article/knowshon-moreno-fighting-for-spot-with-broncos?module=HP11_headline_stack

The Broncos running back is "fighting for a roster spot," according to Lindsay Jones of The Denver Post. Appearing Friday on ESPN, Jones reported that Moreno was a participant at the team's organized team activities and struggling to stand out in a crowded backfield.

We've mentioned this offseason that Moreno could be the odd man out in Denver. Willis McGahee remains the starter and Lance Ball was productive last season. Moreno’s role could be reduced to passing situations, but John Elway was thrilled about the addition of rookie Ronnie Hillman. The former San Diego State back is valued for his pass-catching ability and his blazing speed.

Meanwhile, backs rebounding from an ACL tear tend to decline. It doesn't help that Moreno was nabbed for a DUI in February.

It's not what the team was hoping for when Moreno was taken with the 12th overall pick in the 2009. Following a promising rookie campaign (947 rushing yards, nine total touchdowns), Moreno has missed 12 games in two seasons. We wouldn't be surprised if he's plays his last in Denver.

Hope he either becomes all pro or we cut him...

80stheman
05-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't see Knowshon in a Broncos uni for much longer. Wonder what we would get for him in a trade...

flosstein
05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
His days are numbered. What's worse is he has zero trade value since any team that may want to try him out will just wait until we cut him b4 camp. Gotta suck to be in his shoes though. 1st rd pick, starter, had all the chances and they just slipped away.

BroncoooJohnson
05-26-2012, 08:48 AM
His days are numbered. What's worse is he has zero trade value since any team that may want to try him out will just wait until we cut him b4 camp. Gotta suck to be in his shoes though. 1st rd pick, starter, had all the chances and they just slipped away.

Why would we cut him before camp? He's our third best back, not making a lot of money. At the very least he'll be a 53 man roster casualty.

the0rangecrush
05-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Id rather have moreno over ball just sayin

flosstein
05-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Why would we cut him before camp? He's our third best back, not making a lot of money. At the very least he'll be a 53 man roster casualty.

Because Elway not a total tool. He's gonna cut him and give him enough time to make a team somewhere. Just like with KO, Lloyd, Gaff, and Bannan last year (especially KO). He could have easily de-activated KO and made him ride pine until the off season and we would have gotten a draft pick. He's gonna be fair to Moreno, just as he's been to every other player since he's been here. This is becoming a player friendly franchise again, and thats good for fututr potential FA's . So with that being said, OTA's for Moreno are just so he can show possible suitors that he's able to move and cut again.

Blue Thunda
05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Makes me sick to my stomach that we used a 1st round pick on him.

Orange Pants
05-26-2012, 10:09 AM
If Hillman's everything he's cut out to be, there really is no point in keeping him.

SoundsOfSuccess
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Ball is downright awful, IMHO.

I'd take Knowshon over him any day.

xX-Bronco-Xx
05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Orakpo. :sad:

nyuk nyuk
05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Ball is downright awful, IMHO.

I'd take Knowshon over him any day.

Agreed. But Moreno is too small to be very effective up the middle. We had the same problem with Portis, and he is the same height/weight as Moreno.

flosstein
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Agreed. But Moreno is too small to be very effective up the middle. We had the same problem with Portis, and he is the same height/weight as Moreno.

But Portis knew how to run the ball. He was patience and would let his blockers open the lanes. He had excellent field vision, which is why he was a really good RB, when healthy. But Moreno has no vision and no patience. He has rarely let the play develop b4 hitting the lane. Portis was great at that, Willis is excellent at that, even Ball is good at that. And it's crazy, because it happens in fractions of seconds, but that the difference between him being the back he was drafted to be and who he is now.

Bernie24
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Ball should be the one getting cut...

McGahee
Hillman
Moreno
PS JJ/Fannin

Red-Falcon
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM

I got the same feeling! I was so happy when we did, cause I thought he's the next best thing! But obviously he's not! He's not a bust either!

Cyrend
05-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Ball is so average its terrible. If he gets a roster spot over Moreno ill be livid.

one_bad_55
05-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Moreno is no different than any other player on the roster. They have to earn the spot to be on the team. Is it deflating that we used a 1st round pick on him and he really hasn't produced like we think he should, you bet.

That being said I want my team to keep the best most reliable players we can and if that means giving up on Moreno than I am ok with that as long as that is what is best for the team.

Personally unless he is really bad in training camp I think we will give him one more year to prove that he can be the back we thought we were getting. If he does not do well this year then they will say goodbye before his salary really goes up.

That is the business side of football.

ansleyr815
05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
After the nightmare season a few years ago when we lost 5 running backs... and had to sign Tatum Bell from his shopping mall job to finish the season (which we ended up one game short of the playoffs)... I will never recommend cutting Moreno if he is healthy. Moreno is very servicable... especially in a Manning offense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Cutting Moreno would be ludicrous. He's already been paid the bulk of his contract and he provides excellent depth. He's only going tp make a couple of million dollars this year and he's one of the best reciving backs in the league.

350legend
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
On a previous post of mind i metion about Morenos exit from Denver which was something i regret saying, getting him a few years back i was a huge fan of his and still is to be Honest, I let my emtions get the best of me over a debate with a friend, another bronco fan, I was always one to root for the underdog and would continue to, However i love the backs we have now and see us with a lethal combo in the back feild! :goz:

Br0nc0Buster
05-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I hope there is merit to the FO liking Fannin
We need a third back, and if Moreno cant step up hopefully Fannin can be that guy

Personally I dont think Fannin is all that good, and fumbles too much, but he does have more talent than Knoshow

CoryWinget81
05-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Cutting Moreno would be ludicrous. He's already been paid the bulk of his contract and he provides excellent depth. He's only going tp make a couple of million dollars this year and he's one of the best reciving backs in the league.

I think his contract escalates to 8 mil next year.

broncos SB2010
05-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I think his contract escalates to 8 mil next year.

$850K this year, $1.7M next year, $5M option in 2014.

bronx_2003
05-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Hope Moreno's not cut.

He is great at blocking and receiving and decent in the open field, I think McGahee, Hillman and Moreno would be a good 1-2-3 punch.

Bolterated
05-26-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't see Knowshon in a Broncos uni for much longer. Wonder what we would get for him in a trade...

A pack of gum

Bolterated
05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
If Hillman's everything he's cut out to be, there really is no point in keeping him.

Hillman is the real deal...you guys are going to love this kid. I watched him play a lot of games at SDSU. Im sure had you not picked him with a third rounder, which many thought was too high, I believe he would of been a Charger. Second coming of Sproles. Wait till you see this kid fly and make people miss, specially after the catch.

Cyanade
05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Moreno should NOT be cut; though he's not up to first round expectations, he provides excellent depth and is better than Lance Ball.

Kansas Bob
05-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Hillman is the real deal...you guys are going to love this kid. I watched him play a lot of games at SDSU. Im sure had you not picked him with a third rounder, which many thought was too high, I believe he would of been a Charger. Second coming of Sproles. Wait till you see this kid fly and make people miss, specially after the catch.
So you think Denver will go into the season with 2 running backs???
Fannin fumbles too much and If Moreno can't beat out Ball for the job, he deserves to be cut!!! Now that they have Gronkowski to block to Moreno, he should gain 1600+ yards this season (before he is hurt in the 2nd game)!!!! lol
Seriously, if he could just stay healthy, IMO he would be the best back on the team!

dizzolve
05-26-2012, 04:42 PM

I have a dream

JMD signs all our discards that he drafted to New England. Then New England slowly declines into mediocrity for the next decade

Remedy
05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
I have a dream

JMD signs all our discards that he drafted to New England. Then New England slowly declines into mediocrity for the next decade

One can only hope.

dizzolve
05-26-2012, 04:57 PM
One can only hope.

Ya know

If all goes well with Denver this season which many see as a likely possibility, we'll have to go through NE. Not necessarily in NE but chances are we'll have to beat them this time around. It'll be an incredible match up for us Denver fans

the0rangecrush
05-26-2012, 04:59 PM

People were saying the great things about Moreno when we drafted him. I hope he can be thar guy, but i'll believe it when i see it

Papa-pwn
05-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Lol yeah right. Our FO isn't insane.

RunningWolf
05-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Maybe I've missed something, like a serious injury...But why does nobody even Consider JJ?

Whenever he got in to the game, you would see flashes of speed and good instincts. I would like to see that kid get a longer look.

Dirty Bird
05-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Would be glad to take the Bulldog off your hands. Moreno for Turner?

beastlyskronk
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Would be glad to take the Bulldog off your hands. Moreno for Turner?

I'd make that move in a heartbeat, any Bronco fan/personnel would. Even at 30, Turner is a much better RB than Moreno will ever be.

Dirty Bird
05-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I'd make that move in a heartbeat, any Bronco fan/personnel would. Even at 30, Turner is a much better RB than Moreno will ever be.
Many Falcon fans would call me a blasphemer for wanting a deal such as this. Turner has slowed down IMO. He's not in his natural form which is 215-220 and has ballooned to 245-250. He no longer has the explosiveness he had in 08. He's a workhorse back and we rode him for a good 3 years, but now it's time to put him to sleep. Those 1340 yards may look nice but they came from beating up on bad teams. You won't see Turner having a 100 yard game against a good defense or in the playoffs. With that being said i'd take the younger fresh legged Moreno for Turner any day of the week and 2X on Sundays.

beastlyskronk
05-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Many Falcon fans would call me a blasphemer for wanting a deal such as this. Turner has slowed down IMO. He's not in his natural form which is 215-220 and has ballooned to 245-250. He no longer has the explosiveness he had in 08. He's a workhorse back and we rode him for a good 3 years, but now it's time to put him to sleep. Those 1340 yards may look nice but they came from beating up on bad teams. You won't see Turner having a 100 yard game against a good defense or in the playoffs. With that being said i'd take the younger fresh legged Moreno for Turner any day of the week and 2X on Sundays.

I wouldn't start him over McGahee, I watch every Falcons game I can as they usually play before Denver. I have seen that Turner has slowed down, but I still see that he can get it done especially in the 4th quarter after him and Willis have taken turns pounding on the defense. Actually I wouldn't even say Moreno has fresher legs, his rookie year he hurt his knee in the preseason, his 2nd year he pulled both of his hamstrings, and last year he tore his ACL. His legs have not shown the ability to hold up in the NFL.

Dirty Bird
05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't start him over McGahee, I watch every Falcons game I can as they usually play before Denver. I have seen that Turner has slowed down, but I still see that he can get it done especially in the 4th quarter after him and Willis have taken turns pounding on the defense. Actually I wouldn't even say Moreno has fresher legs, his rookie year he hurt his knee in the preseason, his 2nd year he pulled both of his hamstrings, and last year he tore his ACL. His legs have not shown the ability to hold up in the NFL.
Willis and Turner would most def make a nice tandem. Didn't know about Moreno's injury history. Would probably want to stay away from that on second thought. HAHA. Don't you think it would be time for both of our teams to start looking for a new featured running back though? RB's dont have that long of a shelf life.

one_bad_55
05-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Willis and Turner would most def make a nice tandem. Didn't know about Moreno's injury history. Would probably want to stay away from that on second thought. HAHA. Don't you think it would be time for both of our teams to start looking for a new featured running back though? RB's dont have that long of a shelf life.

Didn't you hear? We drafted Speedy Gonzales, I mean Ronnie Hillman. :D

Dirty Bird
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Didn't you hear? We drafted Speedy Gonzales, I mean Ronnie Hillman. :D
Nah. Most of the news I get about the Broncos is mainstream as i am too busy following deez Falcons. #67 pick eh. Since when did a 4.45 40 constitute as Speedy? LOL (No offense). Hopefully he pans out for yall so he can take some pressure off of Manning. It's not hard to find a good RB in the later rounds these days.

beastlyskronk
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Nah. Most of the news I get about the Broncos is mainstream as i am too busy following deez Falcons. #67 pick eh. Since when did a 4.45 40 constitute as Speedy? LOL (No offense). Hopefully he pans out for yall so he can take some pressure off of Manning. It's not hard to find a good RB in the later rounds these days.

He's a lot faster than what we're used to. And even though he doesn't run a 4.3, once he gets past that secondary, he won't get caught. A 4.45 is fast enough to make it to the endzone unless someone has an angle on your. But running straight behind him, they won't catch him, they may gain some ground but it won't be enough to make a difference. Plus he does play a bit faster than that 4.45 ;)

CoryWinget81
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
$850K this year, $1.7M next year, $5M option in 2014.

You're right. I dont know why I thought it was 8 million, but I knew it was a bunch. I thought that option was 13, not 14. My bad.

one_bad_55
05-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Hillman's 40 times were faster than Moreno. Hillman is 4.45 by some SDS has him at 4.41 and Moreno is listed at 4.64 at his Pro-day times. McGahee is actually faster than both at 4.28.

I guess I should have said he is faster than Moreno. :D

luvdacolts67
05-27-2012, 09:53 AM
As much as Im still ticked that Elway didnt go to the Colts, He certianly did something to atract Peyton. That alone lets him off the hook for me. LOL I will forgive him. What Denver has going is good and you will see a big differance in the team this year.

luvdacolts67
05-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Forgot to put the Quote in LOL

broncos SB2010
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Hillman's 40 times were faster than Moreno. Hillman is 4.45 by some SDS has him at 4.41 and Moreno is listed at 4.64 at his Pro-day times. McGahee is actually faster than both at 4.28.

that was 10 years ago too..........

Br0nc0Buster
05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

You wont see Moreno have a 100 yard game against anyone except the Chiefs.

Rarelyoffended
05-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Moreno has gotten so many chances and people still push for him on this board its amazing....the kid was a bust lets accept it and move on.

Dirty Bird
05-27-2012, 11:16 AM
You wont see Moreno have a 100 yard game against anyone except the Chiefs.
That blows. At least yall got a solid RB in McGahee. This thread was gold. Can never have too many baby mamas. :P
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?212771-Ohhhhh-Willis-McGahee-say-it-aint-so-RE-Cromartie-2-0

DOMAN8R
05-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Maybe I've missed something, like a serious injury...But why does nobody even Consider JJ?

Whenever he got in to the game, you would see flashes of speed and good instincts. I would like to see that kid get a longer look.

I am with you 100% on this one!!

beastlyskronk
05-27-2012, 05:20 PM

If McGahee ever ran a 4.28 which I doubt it would have been before his knee injury in college which was centuries and 30 lbs. ago.

BANJOPICKER1
05-27-2012, 06:51 PM
To me Moreno always seems to be hurt and I feel like I remember that more than his yards or TD's..It seems like he has been hurt every season,,,,,FOREVER!! AND EVER!!!!:D AND???? EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goz:

Hadez
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Moreno has gotten so many chances and people still push for him on this board its amazing....the kid was a bust lets accept it and move on.

agreed 100%

Use to be blocking was the problem...even early in 2011 people said the blocking was bad and Moreno was good.

Now that people watches Willis it should be obvious the Moreno is just not that good. He shows flashes in open field specially when catching passes but his blocking needs work before he could become a 1st class 3rd down back.

The dude has been a bust since day 1 and so many people were gripping on hope of some kind they just refuse to see it.

He would have gotten another shot this year imo but now that we have Hillman I do not expect to see Moreno another down in a Bronco jersey come the regular season

BroncoManiac_69
05-27-2012, 10:46 PM
As a fan of the Knowshon draft choice, it's apparent by now that he isn't on the highlight reels or raising a lot of eyebrows anymore. His name is still being kicked around and I for one am willing to give him another year to prove he isn't a bust, but that's it.

Show up and put up or get out.

jonathanrivers
05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
agreed 100%

Use to be blocking was the problem...even early in 2011 people said the blocking was bad and Moreno was good.

Now that people watches Willis it should be obvious the Moreno is just not that good. He shows flashes in open field specially when catching passes but his blocking needs work before he could become a 1st class 3rd down back.

The dude has been a bust since day 1 and so many people were gripping on hope of some kind they just refuse to see it.

He would have gotten another shot this year imo but now that we have Hillman I do not expect to see Moreno another down in a Bronco jersey come the regular season

One of his strengths is picking up blitzes in pass protection.

And of course, where he was picked makes him a bust.

But let's not sit back here and act like Lance Ball or Mario Fannin deserve to take the 3rd RB spot behind Hillman and McGahee.

champ&dreallday
05-29-2012, 06:11 AM
I've been thinking his time in Denver is running out for a while now. He had/ has huge potential, decent speed, catches well out of the backfield...however this guy just couldn't put together a full season of work. Injured for whatever reason, every season. He'd be the perfect RB for Peyton, but based on his history and a DUI when you have custom license plates that say "Sauced", I have no more sympathy for this guy. I understand keeping him if he doesn't make much this season, but I agree his days are numbered in Denver. I wish him well tho, again had/ hopefully has a lot potential.

Kansas Bob
05-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, injuries have really hurt Moreno's career but why people clamor to have their best pass blocking & receiving back cut now that the have Manning is beyond me? I think Manning is going to may Moreno (if he can stay healthy) a superstar catching passes out of the backfield!
I have read where Moreno runs a 4.67 40 time but I have also read where he runs a 4.5 40, I don't which is correct but in Pads he looks faster than all of Denver's other backs except McGahee, IMO

beastlyskronk
05-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Yes, injuries have really hurt Moreno's career but why people clamor to have their best pass blocking & receiving back cut now that the have Manning is beyond me? I think Manning is going to may Moreno (if he can stay healthy) a superstar catching passes out of the backfield!
I have read where Moreno runs a 4.67 40 time but I have also read where he runs a 4.5 40, I don't which is correct but in Pads he looks faster than all of Denver's other backs except McGahee, IMO

And McGahee isn't fast at all. Hillman will be a better receiving RB than Moreno

Captain_23
07-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Ball is so average its terrible. If he gets a roster spot over Moreno ill be livid.

I was just reading some TC updates from Cecil Lamey, and the way Mcgahee, Hillman, Ball, and Johnson been running and "catching" the ball, i hate to say it, but as much as i want moreno to stick over Ball I dont see us keeping moreno because Hillman as been that impressive and mcgahee reportedly is much improved as a receiver, and Bqll as been running with more explosivness and speed than he has in the past. smh. Wow i was shocked, but this might be the last leg of Knowshon.

CoryWinget81
07-29-2012, 08:44 PM
He got a handful of reps with the ones. He's running like he's walking on egg shells though.

Captain_23
07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
He got a handful of reps with the ones. He's running like he's walking on egg shells though.

His knee is probably still tender or he hasnt built up the confidence to run full speed yet. Or maybe even both

KWHIT97
07-29-2012, 08:54 PM

It'll happen, just another idiotic move in this current regime's tenure.

ERoyal248
07-29-2012, 10:08 PM
It'll happen, just another idiotic move in this current regime's tenure.

This guy, smh.........

BluenOrnge4Life
07-29-2012, 10:18 PM
This guy, smh.........

Utilize the ignore list. :laugh:

It's a good feature for the few 'doom and gloom' posters on these boards.

Hadez
07-30-2012, 05:10 AM

People who write articles have said he is in a brace and not doing team drills...a rather large brace that makes it hard to tell if he is even running at full speed in conditioning drills.

You are not the first fan I have seen who has said even on day 1 of TC he was getting reps with the 1s.

So which is true? Is he in a brace that is limiting his ability to practice in team stuff or is he getting normal reps with the 1s?

Maybe people are mixing it up with 37?

Saw a video posted on BTV and they showed just about every RB getting carries except Moreno; 23, 33, 37 and 42n (though the 42 one was more of a 57 highlight as 57 made a play on him right after he got the bal)

If Moreno was looking good with anyone you would think he would have made that video

Hadez
07-30-2012, 05:15 AM
I think RB 1 is McGahee and that is obvious. The fact that some fans think this is up to question tells me how little they speaking with knowledge and how much they are speaking with heart.

RB2 will be Hillman. If the coaches and FO felt Moreno was good enough (in all senses of the word...including reliability...does not matter how talented someone is if they keep getting injuried) then we would not have picked a RB so high.

RB3 and RB4 (assuming injuries allow us to keep 4 RBS) will be picked mostly by STs play which last I checked Moreno does not play.

Still think Moreno has a shot to make the team but the chances of it happening or far less then allot of people on these boards think.

jonathanrivers
07-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Utilize the ignore list. :laugh:

It's a good feature for the few 'doom and gloom' posters on these boards.

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't ignored anyone (even japjaff!)...but this guy, who does nothing but try and incite a response from logical fans, is prime material.

The definition of an Internet troll. Iggy'd.

PhoenixDread
07-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Sorry to the Moreno supporters but I am much more afraid of facing a back like McGahee or Hillman. I doubt our offense will be losing much.

CoryWinget81
07-30-2012, 07:17 AM
People who write articles have said he is in a brace and not doing team drills...a rather large brace that makes it hard to tell if he is even running at full speed in conditioning drills.

You are not the first fan I have seen who has said even on day 1 of TC he was getting reps with the 1s.

So which is true? Is he in a brace that is limiting his ability to practice in team stuff or is he getting normal reps with the 1s?

Maybe people are mixing it up with 37?

Saw a video posted on BTV and they showed just about every RB getting carries except Moreno; 23, 33, 37 and 42n (though the 42 one was more of a 57 highlight as 57 made a play on him right after he got the bal)

If Moreno was looking good with anyone you would think he would have made that video

No, he's running in team drills. He's taken MAYBE 3 or 4 handoffs that I've actually witnessed, the rest were passes out of the backfield. Yesterday he was rotating with the 1's.

I've ran with a brace since my junior year, and I know the difference between being encumbered by it and running like you don't trust your knee. It's probably still a little sore.

Peerless
07-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Knowshon Moreno: another great decision by Josh McDaniel's.

getlynched47
07-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Knowshon Moreno: another great decision by Josh McDaniel's.

Excuse me, Josh McDaniels is the best head coach the Denver Broncos have ever had. We were spoiled to have him.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png

Freyaka
07-30-2012, 08:25 AM
I have a dream

No the likely outcome would be they'd sign all of our crap and somehow polish them into diamonds....

CoryWinget81
07-30-2012, 08:30 AM
No the likely outcome would be they'd sign all of our crap and somehow polish them into diamonds....

Brandon Lloyd is going to have an all-pro year. :laugh:

RockyMtnConvert
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
agreed 100%

Moreno is the type of player that produces so little, and is hurt so often you begin to foget he is even with the club still. Then, another traning camp comes along, his name is brought up and you go "oh yeah, Moreno- forgot about him. Maybe this will be his year"....

But it is never his year. I have to be honesty, watching Lance Ball carry the rock leaves me flat, but is he can stay healthy and not eff up much he is a better option that Moreno at this point. Ball has limited upside compare KM, but upside is irrelavent when you are always dinged up or always hurt.

Luckyshot
07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
For 850k this season, Moreno would be a good 3rd down RB to act as an additional receiver for Manning. And that's bout it.

underrated29
07-30-2012, 12:07 PM
I think RB 1 is McGahee and that is obvious. The fact that some fans think this is up to question tells me how little they speaking with knowledge and how much they are speaking with heart.

RB2 will be Hillman. If the coaches and FO felt Moreno was good enough (in all senses of the word...including reliability...does not matter how talented someone is if they keep getting injuried) then we would not have picked a RB so high.

RB3 and RB4 (assuming injuries allow us to keep 4 RBS) will be picked mostly by STs play which last I checked Moreno does not play.

Still think Moreno has a shot to make the team but the chances of it happening or far less then allot of people on these boards think.

I wouldnt go to hard into the fans with little knowledge when you say hillman will be #2....Have you been to the TCs this year? I have. I have seen knowshon getting more work at 2, then hillman. HIllman has been #4 pretty much throughout. I do expect him to leapfrog once preseason starts, but as of now he is #4.

dizzolve
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM

It'd never happen but wouldn't it be sweet redemption if New England gave us a nice draft pick for KnoSauce

PunchDrunk
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Knowshon will make the 53 man roster. He is good enough at catching the ball out of the backfield to warrant keeping around until Hillman overtakes him. Won't be back next year though.

OhBehave30
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Knowshon will make the 53 man roster. He is good enough at catching the ball out of the backfield to warrant keeping around until Hillman overtakes him. Won't be back next year though.
McGahee's getting up there, he'll be out in 2 years. Kno's not gonna ask for huge money, although he might want another shot somewhere else.

DishWater
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Take it for what you will, but my best friend, a Georgia alum, went to practice this morning and he said Knowshon was unbelievably slow. Given, he's coming off an injury and he's never been a speedster, but still. My buddy came away disheartened...

I think the RB roster spot order is far from decided.

Bernie24
07-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Take it for what you will, but my best friend, a Georgia alum, went to practice this morning and he said Knowshon was unbelievably slow. Given, he's coming off an injury and he's never been a speedster, but still. My buddy came away disheartened...

I think the RB roster spot order is far from decided.
wow, after watching that crossfit with him and him losing weight I expected him to be a bit faster than normal.

shame.

JakeNbake
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
wow, after watching that crossfit with him and him losing weight I expected him to be a bit faster than normal.

shame.

ACL dude... can't expect speed with that.

FL BRONCO
07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
For 850k this season, Moreno would be a good 3rd down RB to act as an additional receiver for Manning. And that's bout it.

Actualy, IMO that is pretty expensive for an extra cheerleader on the sidelines

SoundsOfSuccess
07-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Actualy, IMO that is pretty expensive for an extra cheerleader on the sidelines

You're right, Denver should just cut all non-starters.

Yakka27
07-30-2012, 05:52 PM
The hatred for this man on this forum is very strong.

dizzolve
07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
some might hate but most are just looking at it objectively

People wont pull for someone who's struggling when they show no humility at all. At least I haven't seen much. I'll concede I could have missed it. It's just too bitter a pill to swallow.

He still has the power to change everything and hopefully he does. But I can't blame people for being disappointed that he hasn't really lived up to his draft status.

jonathanrivers
07-30-2012, 06:21 PM
The hatred for this man on this forum is very strong.

It is. People absolutely hate a guy who has been productive but can't stay healthy. It's kind of messed up.

And people like me who just try and have a balance POV..for example, that Moreno should make the team over Lance freaking Ball...are accused to being fanboys and homers.

I don't have a vested interest in Moreno making the team. Really. But think about it. A Moreno who is only healthy for 6-8 games is as good as a Lance Ball or Jeremiah Johnson who is only healthy the whole season. All it takes is 2-3 good plays (for example, like the screen Moreno took took to the house vs. the Chargers that put us within striking distace). And I haven't seen anything to make me want to keep a Lance Ball or Jeremiah Johnson over a Knowshown Moreno.

I guess I'm a Knoshown fanboy, though.

Yakka27
07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
If you are basing off whether Moreno should make the team by where he was drafted, then you should rethink things. The sooner people forget where he was drafted, forget the hopes of him ever being a elite RB, the sooner you will realize that he's still a talented young RB who is a big asset to this team.

broncoFan!
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
I think we should keep him. It just adds more depth to the RB chart, and his contract isn't even that big from what I recall...

demonicbroncos
07-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Moreno is the best pass catcher of the rbs. I think he will be rb 2 and third down back this year.

Yakka27
07-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Moreno is the best pass catcher of the rbs. I think he will be rb 2 and third down back this year.

Also our best pass protecting RB.

BroncosPWNn00bs
07-30-2012, 06:55 PM
You're right, Denver should just cut all non-starters.

:laugh:

But yea, like others have said. I believe this will be his last year as a Bronco, unless theres injuries to McGahee and even Hillman, and Moreno just takes off this year and gets 1300 yards.

But I see him this year as mainly having 350 rush yards and a TD. And maybe 15 catches for 150 yards and possibly a TD there. I don't see him being a huge factor for us, and I feel that he won't be a Bronco next year. kinda sad because I like the guy, and would like to see him here, but I don't see it happening at all.

demonicbroncos
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Also our best pass protecting RB.

With Manning back, this is a key point why I think Moreno is going to be a main point with our offense. Hillman was usually a between the tackles back its going to take time to be a NFL rb that can run, catch and block.

PhoenixDread
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
If you are basing off whether Moreno should make the team by where he was drafted, then you should rethink things. The sooner people forget where he was drafted, forget the hopes of him ever being a elite RB, the sooner you will realize that he's still a talented young RB who is a big asset to this team.

-The #1 rated back coming out of college that year
-Projected to go in the first round
-Rumored to have been targeted in the 1st round by the Chargers

Why should we forget the truth? He has been mediocre since coming into the league. Why make excuses?

The finger needs to be pointed at Moreno. Not McDaniels. Not the college scouts. He's had every chance you could possibly ask for to prove that he is THE guy in Denver and he has failed us.

demonicbroncos
07-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Why should we forget the truth? He has been mediocre since comijg into the league. Why make excuses?

The finger needs to be pointed at Moreno. Not McDaniels. Not the college scouts. He's had every chance you could possibly ask for to prove that he is THE guy in Denver and he has failed us.

It happens on every draft 50% of players of the first round have fail on their rookie contract on the team they are currently on. But Moreno has been proactive as a pass catcher and pass protector. He has been a decent back.

underrated29
07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
:laugh:

But yea, like others have said. I believe this will be his last year as a Bronco, unless theres injuries to McGahee and even Hillman, and Moreno just takes off this year and gets 1300 yards.

But I see him this year as mainly having 350 rush yards and a TD. And maybe 15 catches for 150 yards and possibly a TD there. I don't see him being a huge factor for us, and I feel that he won't be a Bronco next year. kinda sad because I like the guy, and would like to see him here, but I don't see it happening at all.

Lol, I find your numbers funny. Obviously we do not know but IMO he will have eclipsed those numbers by week 5.

Why should we forget the truth? He has been mediocre since comijg into the league. Why make excuses?

Wow. Knowshon:

Average over 4.0 yards per carry
Average nearly 10.0 yards per catch
17 Tds in two years

I hope Ronnie Hillman fails us too!!!! Elway will be thrilled.

RSH
07-30-2012, 10:49 PM
It is. People absolutely hate a guy who has been productive but can't stay healthy. It's kind of messed up.

And people like me who just try and have a balance POV..for example, that Moreno should make the team over Lance freaking Ball...are accused to being fanboys and homers.

I don't have a vested interest in Moreno making the team. Really. But think about it. A Moreno who is only healthy for 6-8 games is as good as a Lance Ball or Jeremiah Johnson who is only healthy the whole season. All it takes is 2-3 good plays (for example, like the screen Moreno took took to the house vs. the Chargers that put us within striking distace). And I haven't seen anything to make me want to keep a Lance Ball or Jeremiah Johnson over a Knowshown Moreno.

I guess I'm a Knoshown fanboy, though.

I rarely chime in here, but this post sums up very eloquently the Moreno relationship with a large contingent of Denver Broncos fans. Excellent post.

RSH
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4552772

Not sure if there is any meaning to this, but it is interesting to see Ronnie Hillman (the rookie) in this photo carrying the pads of Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno. Could be a sign that the depth chart right now is McGahee, Moreno and Hillman--with perhaps one more open spot.

broncos SB2010
07-30-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4552772

Not sure if there is any meaning to this, but it is interesting to see Ronnie Hillman (the rookie) in this photo carrying the pads of Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno. Could be a sign that the depth chart right now is McGahee, Moreno and Hillman--with perhaps one more open spot.

That has nothing to do with the depth chart...just rookie tasks.

RSH
07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
That has nothing to do with the depth chart...just rookie tasks.

Why wasn't he carrying Ball's pads instead of Moreno's? I think McGahee, Moreno and Hillman will be the three main running backs in Denver come September.

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 06:04 AM
It happens on every draft 50% of players of the first round have fail on their rookie contract on the team they are currently on. But Moreno has been proactive as a pass catcher and pass protector. He has been a decent back.

You expect more than just decent production from the top back in the draft. He's a bust

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Wow. Knowshon:

Average over 4.0 yards per carry
Average nearly 10.0 yards per catch
17 Tds in two years

I hope Ronnie Hillman fails us too!!!! Elway will be thrilled.

Wow. Knowshon

-Two 100 yard games in his career
-Lost starting job to journeyman RB McGahee
-Job on the line with heavy RB competition
-Numerous threads about getting rid on him on Broncos Message Boards

I'm not gonna throw in the injury excuses either. When he's on the field, he's just not good. That's the reason he lost his job.

Hillman can have those numbers and I'd be ok with it because the difference is that he was drafted to be a specialist type of back, not a premiere runner like Moreno. If he was that good, threads like these wouldn't exist.

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Forget the stats and watch him run.

Then watch his peers that were drafted rounds later than him.

Now come back with a straight face and tell me he's not a bust of a 1st round pick.

SBboundBRONCOS
07-31-2012, 07:05 AM

Why should we forget the truth? He has been mediocre since coming into the league. Why make excuses?

this is how i feel and i liked the pick at the time, but the guy hasnt lived up to anything. why? idk. he was very impressive in college, im gonna chalk it up to just not translating his game to the NFL

its nobodys fault but his own.

samparnell
07-31-2012, 07:05 AM
From a football point-of-view, how to label a player isn't as relevant as whether or not he will make the roster at the end of TC/Preseason.

In the event the Broncos keep four RBs, it's beginning to sound as if Fannin may be the odd man out.

Orange Pants
07-31-2012, 07:12 AM

Now come back with a straight face and tell me he's not a bust of a 1st round pick.

Well of course he was a bust of a 1st round pick, but that doesn't mean he can't make the team and contribute. I think we were lucky to get a player that can at least do something from a McDaniels' draft pick.

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Well of course he was a bust of a 1st round pick, but that doesn't mean he can't make the team and contribute. I think we were lucky to get a player that can do that from a McDaniel's draft pick.

I'll just never get why people that are so outraged by bad play and mediocrity continue to give this guy rope, and all he does with it is hang himself.

I think we'll carry 4 RBS. Mcgahee, Hillman, Ball and Moreno.

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 07:40 AM

I'll just never get why people that are so outraged by bad play and mediocrity continue to give this guy rope, and all he does with it is hang himself.

I think we'll carry 4 RBS. Mcgahee, Hillman, Ball and Moreno.

Thank you sir! That's all I want people to understand! CP when I get to a computer

underrated29
07-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Wow. Knowshon

-Two 100 yard games in his career
-Lost starting job to journeyman RB McGahee
-Job on the line with heavy RB competition
-Numerous threads about getting rid on him on Broncos Message Boards

I'm not gonna throw in the injury excuses either. When he's on the field, he's just not good. That's the reason he lost his job.

Hillman can have those numbers and I'd be ok with it because the difference is that he was drafted to be a specialist type of back, not a premiere runner like Moreno. If he was that good, threads like these wouldn't exist.

Oh the irony. Sweet sweet irony.

Knowshon actually was the starter and lost his job after he got hurt. I also would not call mcgahees a journeyman rb, but to each his own there.

The real sad part is that despite knowshons production you want him gone because of where he was drafted and the irony of your posts makes this really comical. The beauty part about being a coach and not an armchair gm is that the coaches put the best 53 on the field regardless of where they have been drafted. They just want production. When healthy knowshon has produced.

PS- the depth chart right now is
Mcgahee
Knowshon
Ball
Hillman

I know this board is sometimes off their rocker in their hate for knowshon and overwhelming love fest for fannin but fact of the matter is. Right now, one of them is the number two back and one of them is probably not making the roster.

Peerless
07-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Unlike some fans who are still hoping that Moreno finally breaks out, I've come to reality (well last year it hit me) that he's just not going to live up to his draft position, or break away from his very average running ability as a pro player.

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh the irony. Sweet sweet irony.

Knowshon actually was the starter and lost his job after he got hurt. I also would not call mcgahees a journeyman rb, but to each his own there.

The real sad part is that despite knowshons production you want him gone because of where he was drafted and the irony of your posts makes this really comical. The beauty part about being a coach and not an armchair gm is that the coaches put the best 53 on the field regardless of where they have been drafted. They just want production. When healthy knowshon has produced.

PS- the depth chart right now is
Mcgahee
Knowshon
Ball
Hillman

I know this board is sometimes off their rocker in their hate for knowshon and overwhelming love fest for fannin but fact of the matter is. Right now, one of them is the number two back and one of them is probably not making the roster.

I don't care if the Broncos keep him or not. The fact is that despite the numbers you try to throw out, he's still been a disappointment.

People always talk about him being one of the best receiving backs just because he averages 10 yards a catch. I would like to know who you are comparing him to when you say one of the "best receiving backs"

Here. I'll make it easy for you. Show me where Moreno fits in with these guys. Off the top of my head, here's some of the best receiving backs...

Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
LeSean McCoy
Jamal Charles
Darren McFadden
MJD
CJ2K
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
Reggie Bush
Peyton Hillis
Darren Sproles
Brian Westbrook

Most of these guys don't even average 10 yards a catch but if you ask someone to name some of the top receiving backs, you'd probably get a list similar to this.

PS- Knowshon did not lose his job to injury

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 09:30 AM
The issue here isn't that Moreno is great and deserves to be the starter, or that he should be a key piece of the offense. The issue is whether he deserve to make the team over a Jeremiah Johnson or a Lance Ball.

We all know he hasn't lived up to his draft status, if only for injuries. And in a pass happy offense that used a power running game under McD, it's kind of misguided to bring up stats.

Again. No one is saying Moreno is great, or that he has lived up to his first round pick. Or that he is as good as other backs taken in 2009 or any of that crap. The question is whether a ZBS-style RB with good hands, ideal for Peyton's offense, can help us relative to someone like Lance Ball.

Even if this Fannin kid that everyone is drooling over makes the team...I don't see how you can be upset with keeping Moreno over Lance freaking Ball or Jeremiah Johnson. Like I said earlier, I'd rather have Moreno for 8 games than those guys for a whole season.

*waits for post declaring that Moreno has been a disappointment and can't stay healthy, despite my already addressing those claims.

underrated29
07-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't care if the Broncos keep him or not. The fact is that despite the numbers you try to throw out, he's still been a disappointment.

People always talk about him being one of the best receiving backs just because he averages 10 yards a catch. I would like to know who you are comparing him to when you say one of the "best receiving backs"

Here. I'll make it easy for you. Show me where Moreno fits in with these guys. Off the top of my head, here's some of the best receiving backs...

Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
LeSean McCoy
Jamal Charles
Darren McFadden
MJD
CJ2K
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
Reggie Bush
Peyton Hillis
Darren Sproles
Brian Westbrook

Most of these guys don't even average 10 yards a catch but if you ask someone to name some of the top receiving backs, you'd probably get a list similar to this.

Exactly. And that is why your last post was filled with irony. you dont like knowshons numbers as a first round pick and therefore more or less would want him gone. But would gladly welcome the same numbers for hillman who was a third round pick- based only on the fact of where they were picked. Production is production. It matters not what you should have done or not. Only matter what is done.

You also proved my point about the yards per catch. He is amongst tops in the league at yards per catch. This is not the pro bowl, name recognition means jack squat, only can and cant. Knowshon Can and has averaged almost a first down each and everytime he catches the football. Teams would love to have a player like that.

underrated29
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
The issue here isn't that Moreno is great and deserves to be the starter, or that he should be a key piece of the offense. The issue is whether he deserve to make the team over a Jeremiah Johnson or a Lance Ball.

We all know he hasn't lived up to his draft status, if only for injuries. And in a pass happy offense that used a power running game under McD, it's kind of misguided to bring up stats.

Again. No one is saying Moreno is great, or that he has lived up to his first round pick. Or that he is as good as other backs taken in 2009 or any of that crap. The question is whether a ZBS-style RB with good hands, ideal for Peyton's offense, can help us relative to someone like Lance Ball.

Even if this Fannin kid that everyone is drooling over makes the team...I don't see how you can be upset with keeping Moreno over Lance freaking Ball or Jeremiah Johnson. Like I said earlier, I'd rather have Moreno for 8 games than those guys for a whole season.

*waits for post declaring that Moreno has been a disappointment and can't stay healthy, despite my already addressing those claims.

This. Nicely done.

Orange Pants
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
LeSean McCoy
Jamal Charles
Darren McFadden
MJD
CJ2K
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
Reggie Bush
Peyton Hillis
Darren Sproles
Brian Westbrook

My list of best receiving backs determined by hands and route running:
1. Ray Rice
2. Matt Forte
3. Darren Sproles
4. Arian Foster
5. Reggie Bush
6. Jamal Charles
7. LeSean McCoy
8. Frank Gore
9. Moreno
The Rest

Agree or not with the list, Moreno is at least a top ten receiving back as well as the best pass catching back on our team. Pass catching running backs are invaluable in today's pass first offenses. The Ravens built an entire offense based on checking down to one. Obviously Moreno is no where near Ray Rice's caliber, but wouldn't you want that extra option on third down over a backup back that can only run effectively.

Also, the odds of Fannin, Johnson, or Ball ending up as better runners than Mcgahee and Hillman is slim. I think having running backs that fit different roles is better than dropping Moreno and hoping Fannin, Johnson, or Ball accounts to something more than a backup.

And Moreno did, in fact, lose his job due to injury. Remember, Mcgahee was spelling him at the start of the season, then Moreno went down and Mcgahee took over for good. I remember specifically because people were saying that when Mcgahee got injured, maybe Moreno could reclaim the starting spot, like how Mcgahee got it from him.

RockyMtnConvert
07-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I keep whatever back can stay on the field consistently and does not have pending legal issues that could bring suspension.

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Exactly. And that is why your last post was filled with irony. you dont like knowshons numbers as a first round pick and therefore more or less would want him gone. But would gladly welcome the same numbers for hillman who was a third round pick- based only on the fact of where they were picked. Production is production. It matters not what you should have done or not. Only matter what is done.

You also proved my point about the yards per catch. He is amongst tops in the league at yards per catch. This is not the pro bowl, name recognition means jack squat, only can and cant. Knowshon Can and has averaged almost a first down each and everytime he catches the football. Teams would love to have a player like that.

Irony? Where?

There's a thing called VALUE that some people use to judge on whether a player is successful in their eyes. Hillman fell to the third round for a reason. People felt he wasn't worth selecting in the earlier rounds. Why? Because of his size. Same thing applies to guys like Sproles who people like to compare him to. We're not expecting Hillman to have 1,000+ yards and 500 receiving. He is a role player for now unlike Moreno who wasn't drafted to be but now has become. That is why it's ok for Hillman to have numbers like Moreno. It matches the VALUE.

Prove your point about yards per catch? Please tell me what exactly is your argument here. Are you trying to confuse me?

He averages 10 yards per catch. I acknowledge that. It's high. But you wouldn't even know that without digging up stats. Watching him and watching those guys I listed will give you much more clear indication of the top receiving backs in the NFL.

If McGahee were to go down this year, people would be very concerned knowing we'll only have Moreno, Hillman, and probably Ball carrying the load. Moreno can't run well. Hillman is unproven. Ball is just not good enough. I'm not sold at all on Fannin but I could understand why people want him to make the team. He has the measurables to be able to shine. I hear he sucks in practice. Well Clinton Portis sucked in practice. We pretty much know what we're getting with Moreno and Ball. Hillman's expectations aren't too high. That is why some would want Moreno gone.

I want what's best for the team just like everyone else. Keeping Moreno is better than keeping the other scrubs for now but other guys like Fannin deserve at least a look over someone who has had their chance and hasn't been as good as he could be. How do you think guys like Foster and TD made it?

NOT SAYING FANNIN IS EITHER OF THE TWO BTW

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 11:27 AM
My list of best receiving backs determined by hands and route running:
1. Ray Rice
2. Matt Forte
3. Darren Sproles
4. Arian Foster
5. Reggie Bush
6. Jamal Charles
7. LeSean McCoy
8. Frank Gore
9. Moreno
The Rest

Agree or not with the list, Moreno is at least a top ten receiving back as well as the best pass catching back on our team. Pass catching running backs are invaluable in today's pass first offenses. The Ravens built an entire offense based on checking down to one. Obviously Moreno is no where near Ray Rice's caliber, but wouldn't you want that extra option on third down over a backup back that can only run effectively.

Also, the odds of Fannin, Johnson, or Ball ending up as better runners than Mcgahee and Hillman is slim. I think having running backs that fit different roles is better than dropping Moreno and hoping Fannin, Johnson, or Ball accounts to something more than a backup.

And Moreno did, in fact, lose his job due to injury. Remember, Mcgahee was spelling him at the start of the season, then Moreno went down and Mcgahee took over for good. I remember specifically because people were saying that when Mcgahee got injured, maybe Moreno could reclaim the starting spot, like how Mcgahee got it from him.

Whoa. Moreno over CJ2K, DMC, MJD, and Steven Jackson as a receiving back?

Did you know that they split McFadden out wide sometimes? Guys like him really do run routes.

Crazy list but hey it's your opinion.

And I'll say it again. Moreno DID lose his job to McGahee. Not due to injury. The day McGahee was named the starter, Moreno was able to play.

Papa-pwn
07-31-2012, 11:28 AM
some might hate but most are just looking at it objectively

People wont pull for someone who's struggling when they show no humility at all. At least I haven't seen much. I'll concede I could have missed it. It's just too bitter a pill to swallow.

He still has the power to change everything and hopefully he does. But I can't blame people for being disappointed that he hasn't really lived up to his draft status.

No. Nobody looks at it objectively. Maybe his supporters, actually. But the others just look at it with hate tinted glasses, just because he was McDaniels' first draft pick.

Orange Pants
07-31-2012, 11:32 AM

Did you know that they split McFadden out wide sometimes? Guys like him really do run routes.

And I'll say it again. Moreno DID lose his job to McGahee. Not due to injury. The day McGahee was named the starter, Moreno was able to play.

He has better hands than CJ, MJD, and Steven Jackson, and of course I couldn't put a Raider over him. Either way though, he's still the best receiving back on a team with Manning, that alone should net him a spot, it just depends on if he can stay healthy... just like always.

Papa-pwn
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM

And I'll say it again. Moreno DID lose his job to McGahee. Not due to injury. The day McGahee was named the starter, Moreno hwas able to play.

I think you are very confused.

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
I just think its really funny that certain members of these boards pick and choose within their agenda which mediocre players they will and wont support.

KentuckyFan
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Id rather have moreno over ball just sayin

I agree but he moreno gets hurt then we are back where we started.

91bronco
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Morenos biggest flaw is his inability to stay healthy. Unfortunately, we have to start considering the Ball's, JJohnsons, Fannin's of the NFL because Knowshon has proven he will not be available for the part of the season.

I agree with the sentiment that while he has not lived up to where he was drafted that does not mean he can't contribute. If anything, this is probably his best opportunity to develop his role on this team. He excels in space and receiving and that's what Manning needs in a back. Moreno has a golden opportunity to jumpstart his career but if he can't do it catching screens and check down passes in space from Manning he never will. He's got to be on the field though.....

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
He has better hands than CJ, MJD, and Steven Jackson, and of course I couldn't put a Raider over him. Either way though, he's still the best receiving back on a team with Manning, that alone should net him a spot, it just depends on if he can stay healthy... just like always.

So you couldn't put DMC over him because he's a Radier?

Ok guy. See ya later

91bronco
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
So you couldn't put DMC over him because he's a Radier?

Ok guy. See ya later

Ironically though, DMC is in the same boat as Moreno- can't stay healthy. DMC has the tools to be one of the best backs in the league if not the best but he's proven he will miss part of the season as well. Anyone who doesn't put DMC over Moreno at this stage of their careers is extremely biased IMO....

LightningRodBob
07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
I just think its really funny that certain members of these boards pick and choose within their agenda which mediocre players they will and wont support.

Ohh my sweet mother of God, THIS.

I hate it so much. People will sit there and hype up their little pet players and then crap on players like Moreno who have actually produced.

Quit thinking about where he was drafted and think realistically, is he better than Ball? Is he better than Johnson? Is he better than Fannin? Yes. So in that case, he should make the roster.

It's hard to judge what he did last season because he was on the field so inconsistently, but when he tore his ACL he was in the middle of busting out a couple of long runs. He was starting to look explosive and comfortable on the field. He'll probably never be a starting back again, but he's still valuable to have on the roster and it would be foolish to cut him because of some perceived value according to his draft spot.

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm assuming you're not referring to me...as I support all the guys who people want to chastise: Moreno, Ayers, DT, D.J., Dumervil, Franklin, etc.

...crap, is there anybody besides Champ, Von and Peyton that we all unanimously agree on?

underrated29
07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Ohh my sweet mother of God, THIS.

I hate it so much. People will sit there and hype up their little pet players and then crap on players like Moreno who have actually produced.

Quit thinking about where he was drafted and think realistically, is he better than Ball? Is he better than Johnson? Is he better than Fannin? Yes. So in that case, he should make the roster.

It's hard to judge what he did last season because he was on the field so inconsistently, but when he tore his ACL he was in the middle of busting out a couple of long runs. He was starting to look explosive and comfortable on the field. He'll probably never be a starting back again, but he's still valuable to have on the roster and it would be foolish to cut him because of some perceived value according to his draft spot.

This post deserves lots of cps...

PhoenixDread
07-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Ok guys here's my final verdict and I'm done with this.

Is Moreno one of the best receiving backs in the league? Of course not.

Is Moreno the best receiving back on the Denver Broncos? He is until proven otherwise.

Has he lived up to his draft status? No

Can he contribute to the team? Yes

Why aren't you satisfied with his production? Because it's simple. You expect better from a 1st round back.

Is he replaceable? Possibly

By who? Hillman. Possibly

What if Hillman puts up numbers like Moreno? Not a problem. He was only a 3rd rd pick. It's not like I expected him to be the next Marshall Faulk

Guys. Remember when people were calling Reggie Bush a bust? Do you remember why? Despite those GREAT numbers he had catching the ball, he just couldn't get it done in the run game. He was the top rated back in the draft. That is why despite those receiving stats, he was still considered a bust.

Remember when we drafted Moreno? What were we saying?

"He can be our Ray Rice"
"He has all the tools"
"He's a complete back"
"He'll put up 1200+ on the ground"
"He'll be a pro bowler in this offense"

I will admit, I too thought those same things. He has been a disappointment. He's not very productive at all and I'm not getting what you guys define as production because I'm sure if given the load, any back on our roster can put up those numbers.

Stop telling me and others to forget about his draft status. It's not going to happen. No one forgets TDs draft status and we all know the reasons why!

I didn't like McDaniels. Most of us didn't. I'm not going to hate a player just because someone I don't like drafted him. Heck, I hated Jarvis Moss and I loved Shanny as a coach so don't even take it there because it makes zero sense.

Moreno was drafted to be our franchise back but is now a possible 3rd stringer. How some people are not disappointed is beyond me.

That is all. Thanks for the debate guys. Go Broncos

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Certain members should read ALL MEMBERS :laugh:

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Certain members should read ALL MEMBERS :laugh:

No. I was inviting you to confirm or deny my assumption. I didn't say so directly, but I guess it's hard to convey that through a keyboard.

If the previous facetious post was not directed towards me. Please disregard. I was making another assumption.

dizzolve
07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Is Moreno the best receiving back on the Denver Broncos? He is until proven otherwise.

Why aren't you satisfied with his production? Because it's simple. You expect better from a 1st round back.

What if Hillman puts up numbers like Moreno? Not a problem. He was only a 3rd rd pick. It's not like I expected him to be the next Marshall Faulk

Guys. Remember when people were calling Reggie Bush a bust? Do you remember why? Despite those GREAT numbers he had catching the ball, he just couldn't get it done in the run game. He was the top rated back in the draft. That is why despite those receiving stats, he was still considered a bust.

"He can be our Ray Rice"
"He has all the tools"
"He's a complete back"

I will admit, I too thought those same things. He has been a disappointment. He's not very productive at all and I'm not getting what you guys define as production because I'm sure if given the load, any back on our roster can put up those numbers.

Stop telling me and others to forget about his draft status. It's not going to happen. No one forgets TDs draft status and we all know the reasons why!

I didn't like McDaniels. Most of us didn't. I'm not going to hate a player just because someone I don't like drafted him. Heck, I hated Jarvis Moss and I loved Shanny as a coach so don't even take it there because it makes zero sense.

Moreno was drafted to be our franchise back but is now a possible 3rd stringer. How some people are not disappointed is beyond me.

simple and accurate.

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 12:45 PM

"He can be our Ray Rice"
"He has all the tools"
"He's a complete back"

I'll speak on behalf of myself and go ahead and say that.

1) Most of your post addresses Moreno's production relative to his draft status.
2) My position has been all along, that even with all the things you said, he's still a better option for 3rd or 4th string runningback than Fannin, Ball and Johnson.
3) Where you were drafted has no bearing on how good you are relative to other people on the team competing for the same roster spot.

Thanks.

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 12:46 PM
No. I was inviting you to confirm or deny my assumption. I didn't say so directly, but I guess it's hard to convey that through a keyboard.

If the previous facetious post was not directed towards me. Please disregard. I was making another assumption.

When I'm calling someone out, I'm not shy about doing it. If something was directed at you, you'd know. :laugh:

I'm certain many people would back this up.

CoryWinget81
07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm assuming you're not referring to me...as I support all the guys who people want to chastise: Moreno, Ayers, DT, D.J., Dumervil, Franklin, etc.

...crap, is there anybody besides Champ, Von and Peyton that we all unanimously agree on?

And for the record, those players aren't unanimously agreed on either, lol

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
And for the record, those players aren't unanimously agreed on either, lol

True.

I'm pretty sure we'll have someone in here saying Von isn't living up to his #2 potential.

LightningRodBob
07-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Year 1: A smidgen under 1,000 yards rushing as a rook. 1,160 yds from scrimmage
Year 2: Banged up, missed several games, but improved rushing average significantly. 1,151 yards from scrimmage.
Year 3: Hardly got on the field due to injury.

When you combine year 2 & 3, you get 219 carries for 958 yards, which is just a hare under 4.4 yards a carry. That's a GOOD average. 4.4 was Arian Foster's average last season in the best running scheme in the NFL. If he averaged that YPC his rookie year he would have put up about 1,100 yards.

He also scored 17 TD's his first 2 seasons, that's not a bad total at all.

He HAS produced when he's been on the field, he just has had a hard time the past 2 seasons with staying healthy. He's still on his rookie deal, and I think he's making scraps this year, only $855k base salary. There's no reason not to keep him for that price, because he's got way more talent than Ball, Johnson or Fannin.

91bronco
07-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I'll speak on behalf of myself and go ahead and say that.

1) Most of your post addresses Moreno's production relative to his draft status.
2) My position has been all along, that even with all the things you said, he's still a better option for 3rd or 4th string runningback than Fannin, Ball and Johnson.3) Where you were drafted has no bearing on how good you are relative to other people on the team competing for the same roster spot.

Thanks.

I agree with this to a certain extent- let me elaborate though-

Lets use Bob Sanders as an example- the guy was a straight up baller.... when he was healthy enough to stay on the field which was practically never. At a certain point injury concerns do creep into the converstation/consideration on whether to keep someone or go another route. They guy may have all the talent in the world, but you can't make the club it in the tub.

I'm not saying Moreno is in the same boat as Sanders at this stage of his career but he's missed enough time that the coaching staff is looking at other options- heck they have to at least consider other options in order to be doing their due diligence. Add in his lack of production and possible salary ramifications and you might have the perfect storm that leads to him being cut or traded.

SBboundBRONCOS
07-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I agree with this to a certain extent- let me elaborate though-

Lets use Bob Sanders as an example- the guy was a straight up baller.... when he was healthy enough to stay on the field which was practically never. At a certain point injury concerns do creep into the converstation/consideration on whether to keep someone or go another route. They guy may have all the talent in the world, but you can't make the club it in the tub.

I'm not saying Moreno is in the same boat as Sanders at this stage of his career but he's missed enough time that the coaching staff is looking at other options- heck they have to at least consider other options in order to be doing their due diligence. Add in his lack of production and possible salary ramifications and you might have the perfect storm that leads to him being cut or traded.

the difference is when a guy is your superstar it hurts a lot more to have him go down year after year

a back up guy that produces decent enough when he is healthy as a 2-3 option at RB (who we can pick guys off the street if he gets hurt again)

91bronco
07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
the difference is when a guy is your superstar it hurts a lot more to have him go down year after year

a back up guy that produces decent enough when he is healthy as a 2-3 option at RB (who we can pick guys off the street if he gets hurt again)

I definitely agree the amount of production you get from someone is a big part of the equation. It's why Indy held onto Sanders for so long and why he got another shot with San Diego. I personally think Moreno can excel in a Manning led offense as and makes the team as part of a stable of runningbacks but I do think he will miss significant time this year. I don't think we resign him once his contract is up either. Add in the fact it's easy to find late round or UDFA backs and I wouldn't be surprised to see the coaching staff go another route.

Hadez
07-31-2012, 01:46 PM

You are righ it hurts more to lose a player like Sanders.

Regardless it hurts bad to lose anyone who is expected to play a role on he active roster. Reps are precious and few. Practice time is important in building chemistry and the teamwork required to win big games in dec jan and feb.

The new rules that limit practices make this time even more precious.

A team looking to win a super bowl can no afford to have an injury prone player on their team because of all he lost preparation time

Papa-pwn
07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
TDs per touch and yeards per touch, knowshon is top half of the league in both. He produces when given the opportunity, and that is fact.

getlynched47
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Production and salary aren't the issue with Knowshon Moreno. The only way he doesn't make the team is if his knee isn't fully healthy. Period.

PunchDrunk
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Production and salary aren't the issue with Knowshon Moreno. The only way he doesn't make the team is if his knee isn't fully healthy. Period.

Agreed. He'll be on this team and he will probably start the season as the second string.

Lomax
07-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Agree completely. If he was in danger he would be pulling 3rd string duty at best. Since when is the number 2 RB in TC on the hot seat?

I wonder how much of the issue is talent and how much is discipline. He never seemed to be very well-conditioned, lack of skill on the inside zones could suggest he isn't putting in time in the film room. Frequent muscle pulls could point to a lack of a good stretching routine. I've never read a feature on him working out with other players in the off season.

He seems like the typical guy who gets by on talent. Its a shame because he probably could be a top 10 back with the right mindset.

Dean
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Agree completely. If he was in danger he would be pulling 3rd string duty at best. Since when is the number 2 RB in TC on the hot seat?

I wonder how much of the issue is talent and how much is discipline. He never seemed to be very well-conditioned, lack of skill on the inside zones could suggest he isn't putting in time in the film room. Frequent muscle pulls could point to a lack of a good stretching routine. I've never read a feature on him working out with other players in the off season.

He seems like the typical guy who gets by on talent. Its a shame because he probably could be a top 10 back with the right mindset.

Based upon what? What does he do that says top 10 back. His skills may be a fit as a third down back, but top 10???

Lomax
07-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Based upon what? What does he do that says top 10 back. His skills may be a fit as a third down back, but top 10???

He led all rookies in rushing yards and TDs.

He's got great quickness and elusiveness, an elite stiff-arm, great hands and toughness after the catch. He also has a nose for the end zone. He's obviously got loads of talent and if he could read blocks and stay healthy he would be a legit top RB.

one_bad_55
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Moreno is no more in the hot seat than any other player at this point. He will be on this team this year as the number 2 back but he will have to prove his worth. If he can stay healthy it will decide whether or not he is on this team next year and It will also determine his contract value for his next contract.

I do not think there have ever been any questions about what he can do, but how often he can do it. When you are injured you are not proving your worth to the team.

This is business...............What have you done for me lately?

jonathanrivers
07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
He led all rookies in rushing yards and TDs.

He's got great quickness and elusiveness, an elite stiff-arm, great hands and toughness after the catch. He also has a nose for the end zone. He's obviously got loads of talent and if he could read blocks and stay healthy he would be a legit top RB.

This. I would add that he has one of the best hurdles in the game. Not a big deal...but still fun to watch.

The only thing Moreno doesn't have is elite speed. But his ability to move in space will make up for it in a Manning offense.

I'm obviously worried about him getting injured again. But I'm more worried that his confidence is going to be shot after missing so much time the past 2 years.

Freyaka
08-01-2012, 06:00 AM
When I'm calling someone out, I'm not shy about doing it. If something was directed at you, you'd know. :laugh:

I'm certain many people would back this up.

Yea...Cory doesn't give a rip about peoples feelings...If he thinks you are an idiot he'll tell you that you are an idiot.

samparnell
08-01-2012, 06:12 AM
mini people?

johnlimburg
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
No. Nobody looks at it objectively. Maybe his supporters, actually. But the others just look at it with hate tinted glasses, just because he was McDaniels' first draft pick.

No they don't. People still loved Tebow and he was a Mcdaniels draft pick. A lot of people love Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker who were both Josh Mcdaniels draft picks. This is not the reason that people are critical on Knowshon Moreno. People who are critical of Knowshon Moreno are very very right in doing so.

The guy was the number 12th pick and really never should have been. Thats on Mcdaniels and the terrible drafting of his entire regime really. But that is another debate for another day. But still the high hopes where there for Knowshon Moreno and he just has not lived up to them.

The guy despite some decent stats has shown time after time to just be an impatient runner and that just hurts any running backs game. He doesn't hit holes with speed and overall has been pretty tentative his whole NFL career. He dances around behind the line of scrimage to much and has fumbling problems. Add to that some durability issues, poor vision and overall lack of speed and he is just not a good runner of the football.

In saying that I think he still has hope and I have not given up on him. He has had some games where you are like where the hell has this been. I think maybe he has confidence problems and that wouldn't be suprising considering the last head coach didn't seem to give many of his players much confidence at all. He took it away and bullied players it seemed. Mcdaniels is who I am talking about.

So I think this year will be the year for Knowshon Moreno. He should produce nice rushing numbers (500-750 Yards) and nice receiving numbers (500 Yards). I think around 1000-1250 Yards from scrimage will be a great year for Moreno and what I expect in this offense.

I did see in another thread though you said he was our best running back. That is not true at all. Willis Mcgahee is a better running back. Atleast in the running the ball department anyway. He doesn't have the speed just like Moreno however he has the patience and vision which makes him a better runner of the football.

The thing Moreno does better then any running back on the roster though is catch the football. That is for sure. However he is overrated even in this area in my opinion. He still hasn't shown great vision after he has catches and is in the open field. He just becomes unpatient and doesn't set up or follow blocks.

I think the people who say we should cut Moreno are wrong. It makes very little sense to do so because he still has hope and can offer the team something. Whether it is as a reciever, running back or special teamer he is one of the top 53 players of this 90 currently at training camp.

The running back group should consist of 4 players and before seeing anything in the pre season I would predict the running group to look like so heading into the regular season:

1: Willis Mcgahee

Pro bowl player last year and is a good runner of the football. He gets downhill, he is tough and isn't scared to hit the hole. He has proven himself and is the most polished runner in the Denver Broncos backfield. I hope he doesn't get used as much as last year however I think with some type of passing attack which works we wont rely on hm to carry the offense.

2: Knowshon Moreno

Should provide some carries for the team in a rotation and make a lot of catches out of the backfield. I don't think he will be cut and I think he beats out Hillman due to the pass blocking factor. Not that I know much about Hillmans pass blocking but due to his small statue and Morenos proven ability in this area he wins this spot.

3: Ronnie Hillman

Can get some carries and catches and be a threat to take it all the way on any touch. I hope he is the starting return man and handles that job. I don't know if he has been handling return duties at camp but I hope he gets a shot there in the pre season. Really do like the draft pick and hope he produces from day one.

4: Lance Ball

People dislike him but he should make the team again. He is solid. He has a little bit of wiggle and some straight line speed but is a hard runner. Very safe option to have at the back of the roster. He never gets injured and can be relied upon. And despite people bagging him he surpassed Moreno for carries at times last season when Moreno was healthy so the coaches relied on him more to carry the football.

The other running backs should be competing with Lance Ball for that last spot. Guys like Omon, Fannin, Johnson and any other running backs that may be in camp right now. Personally I still don't see much in Fannin as a runner and think he loses out. Omon I know next to nothing about but apparently he is a big strong downhill runner. And then Johnson is the wild card. Could be a good player or he could be a dud. He looked good on some carries at times but poor on others. It should be interesting to see what happens but I have never doubted Morenos roster spot and think Ball is the one on the hotseat.

Cugel
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Him AND Robert Ayers, who is now on the 2nd team defense behind Jason Hunter, who has his weight up to 270 is is looking great this training camp. Big Al and D-Mac had him on 104.3 The Fan and he's got a great attitude. He says: "I tell the offense 'I WANT you to run the ball at me! Run it at #90!" :laugh:

Meanwhile we could have drafted two out of this three Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews or Percy Harvin instead of Moreno and Ayers. :rolleyes:

Cugel
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The other running backs should be competing with Lance Ball for that last spot. Guys like Omon, Fannin, Johnson and any other running backs that may be in camp right now. Personally I still don't see much in Fannin as a runner and think he loses out. Omon I know next to nothing about but apparently he is a big strong downhill runner. And then Johnson is the wild card. Could be a good player or he could be a dud. He looked good on some carries at times but poor on others. It should be interesting to see what happens but I have never doubted Morenos roster spot and think Ball is the one on the hotseat.

What you're ignoring is that only the top 2 RBs really don't have to play Special Teams. And those top 2 spots are blindingly clear:

#1 Willis McGahee
#2 Ronnie Hillman

#3 right now I think is Jeremiah Johnson. He's had another great day today in training camp and the coaches seem high on him. Plus he's a good special teams player. As is Lance Ball.

Knowshon is not only trying to come back from a serious knee injury, he's fighting an uphill battle because he does NOT play special teams. He is not going to be a special teams guy so that severely limits his usefulness. He CANNOT make this roster and expect to just come in and be a 3rd down specialist and catch a few outlet passes, which is what he would do best. That means in effect he's got to be one of the top 2 RBs and clearly he's not even close.

Normally it takes at least a year to come back from a serious knee injury and some RBs NEVER are the same.

Johnson can catch the ball too. Lance Ball looked good last year. Mario Fannin might be the one who loses his roster spot this year, but he could make it as the 5th back.

If Knowshon could play special teams he'd be a cinch to at least make the roster, but he can't. And that puts him on the bubble.

I think some fans have an emotional resistance to giving up on a former #12 overall pick of 3 years ago even when it's clear that he just doesn't fit on this roster. But, Elway and Fox have ZERO invested in Knowshon and he's running out of time.

Are they going to get rid of Johnson or Fannin, or Lance Ball just to make room for Knowshon when he's injured and not showing anything on the field, plus he's a liability because he doesn't play special teams? (Because of his injury there's just no way).

dizzolve
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Jerimiah Johnson has no more practice squad eligibility. His seat is warm too

Cugel
08-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Morenos biggest flaw is his inability to stay healthy. Unfortunately, we have to start considering the Ball's, JJohnsons, Fannin's of the NFL because Knowshon has proven he will not be available for the part of the season.

I agree with the sentiment that while he has not lived up to where he was drafted that does not mean he can't contribute. If anything, this is probably his best opportunity to develop his role on this team. He excels in space and receiving and that's what Manning needs in a back. Moreno has a golden opportunity to jumpstart his career but if he can't do it catching screens and check down passes in space from Manning he never will. He's got to be on the field though.....

He just can't take advantage of this off-season to make a strong impression because he's still injured and not 100%.

Plus, Jeremiah Johnson, Lance Ball and Mario Fannin can all contribute on special teams and Knowshon can't. If he's hurt (and he clearly is) there's no way he beats out Hillman for the #2 spot. And the #3-#5 RBs better be good special teams players if they want to make the roster, because they're not going to be playing much at RB during the regular season baring injury to one of the top 2 guys.

JakeNbake
08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
He just can't take advantage of this off-season to make a strong impression because he's still injured and not 100%.

Plus, Jeremiah Johnson, Lance Ball and Mario Fannin can all contribute on special teams and Knowshon can't. If he's hurt (and he clearly is) there's no way he beats out Hillman for the #2 spot. And the #3-#5 RBs better be good special teams players if they want to make the roster, because they're not going to be playing much at RB during the regular season baring injury to one of the top 2 guys.

Why can't KnowMo play special teams?

Cugel
08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Jerimiah Johnson has no more practice squad eligibility. His seat is warm too

If you mean by that that he either has to make the 53 man roster this season or his career is over, he said exactly that on the radio today after practice. He said "my family is depending on me." He's proudest of the gains he's made in run blocking this off-season.

He sounds like a guy who is completely focused and he's looking good. He says that he's going to stick his head in there when blocking and if some 245 lbs. LB runs over him then he's going to stick it in there and get run over. He doesn't care if the guy is bigger and outweighs him, he's going to fight.

That kind of desire comes from being an undrafted FA who's been on two previous teams and this is his last stop in the NFL. He might be sore but he's going to put a hat on somebody regardless.

Cugel
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM

First of all he never has and now is not the time to start trying to learn. Second of all he's recovering from an ACL injury and is not 100%. No way in hell as Big Al said today on the radio "there absolutely no way that Knowshon can play special teams for the Broncos this year."

Orange Pants
08-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Probably because he's made of glass and would end up hurting himself.

crash123go
08-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Him AND Robert Ayers, who is now on the 2nd team defense behind Jason Hunter, who has his weight up to 270 is is looking great this training camp. Big Al and D-Mac had him on 104.3 The Fan and he's got a great attitude. He says: "I tell the offense 'I WANT you to run the ball at me! Run it at #90!" :laugh:

Meanwhile we could have drafted two out of this three Brian Orakpo, Clay Matthews or Percy Harvin instead of Moreno and Ayers. :rolleyes:

This is the dumbest argument that little kids won't let go. Good call captain hindsight

crash123go
08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
What you're ignoring is that only the top 2 RBs really don't have to play Special Teams. And those top 2 spots are blindingly clear:

#1 Willis McGahee
#2 Ronnie Hillman

#3 right now I think is Jeremiah Johnson. He's had another great day today in training camp and the coaches seem high on him. Plus he's a good special teams player. As is Lance Ball.

Knowshon is not only trying to come back from a serious knee injury, he's fighting an uphill battle because he does NOT play special teams. He is not going to be a special teams guy so that severely limits his usefulness. He CANNOT make this roster and expect to just come in and be a 3rd down specialist and catch a few outlet passes, which is what he would do best. That means in effect he's got to be one of the top 2 RBs and clearly he's not even close.

Normally it takes at least a year to come back from a serious knee injury and some RBs NEVER are the same.

Johnson can catch the ball too. Lance Ball looked good last year. Mario Fannin might be the one who loses his roster spot this year, but he could make it as the 5th back.

If Knowshon could play special teams he'd be a cinch to at least make the roster, but he can't. And that puts him on the bubble.

I think some fans have an emotional resistance to giving up on a former #12 overall pick of 3 years ago even when it's clear that he just doesn't fit on this roster. But, Elway and Fox have ZERO invested in Knowshon and he's running out of time.

Are they going to get rid of Johnson or Fannin, or Lance Ball just to make room for Knowshon when he's injured and not showing anything on the field, plus he's a liability because he doesn't play special teams? (Because of his injury there's just no way).

Lol well according to the coaches Moreno is runnin with the ones as the number 2 back and has looked good all week so I don't know what practices you have been looking at

johnlimburg
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM

#1 Willis McGahee
#2 Ronnie Hillman

As I said the pre season will decide the depth chart. No one is going to be cut before the first pre season game against the Bears. I think Moreno will earn his roster spot and be a part of the offense. What role he has has not be decided yet. Much like many other backup roles on the team. People around here have put far to much stock into the practise already like everything has been decided.

Why can't Knowshon Moreno play special teams ? He will do whatever he is told and I bet he could do it. He could cover kicks or punts. I don't know why people say this sort of thing. Yes he hasn't played on special teams before but I expect that we keep extra players in the secondary and our young linebackers will also feature on specil teams. So the top 3 backs may not even be required to play special teams.

I have no idea if the coaches like Johnson or not. However Dmac on the Fan said the other day that he feels John Fox doesn't like Johnson. Not that he knows either and I don't really value his opinion at all however he may have seen something out at camp to give off this thought.

I don't think there is any way we keep 5 running backs. I think we go deeper at wide reciever or in the secondary and there is a better chance at carrying 3 running backs then 5. And if we go with 5 running backs I bet Moreno makes the roster.

I don't think it is obvious Hillman is ahead of Moreno. I am pretty sure that Moreno has been getting first team reps and has been getting reps ahead of Hillman. And yes Hillman is there guy and the Broncos have nothing invested in Moreno. I understand that. But if he can play he will not be shipped out just because of that alone.

And also after last pre season where Moreno played well I expect the same thing so he may go into the season as the number two. And I think the injury thing is a legit concern but there have been no problems to this point so right now that doesn't look to be a huge factor.

And I don't care where he was picked. I had no problem with trading Tebow. I am not that guy. I just seriously think that he has something to offer to the team and that is more then Mario Fannin, Xavier Omon, Jerimiah Johnson and Lance Ball.

one_bad_55
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Lol well according to the coaches Moreno is runnin with the ones as the number 2 back and has looked good all week so I don't know what practices you have been looking at

That and Hillman is hurt right now and not getting any reps so I doubt he will immediately take Moreno's spot at number 2.

Cugel
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
As I said the pre season will decide the depth chart. No one is going to be cut before the first pre season game against the Bears. I think Moreno will earn his roster spot and be a part of the offense. What role he has has not be decided yet. Much like many other backup roles on the team. People around here have put far to much stock into the practise already like everything has been decided.

Why can't Knowshon Moreno play special teams ? He will do whatever he is told and I bet he could do it. He could cover kicks or punts. I don't know why people say this sort of thing. Yes he hasn't played on special teams before but I expect that we keep extra players in the secondary and our young linebackers will also feature on special teams. So the top 3 backs may not even be required to play special teams.

I have no idea if the coaches like Johnson or not. However Dmac on the Fan said the other day that he feels John Fox doesn't like Johnson. Not that he knows either and I don't really value his opinion at all however he may have seen something out at camp to give off this thought.

I don't think there is any way we keep 5 running backs. I think we go deeper at wide reciever or in the secondary and there is a better chance at carrying 3 running backs then 5. And if we go with 5 running backs I bet Moreno makes the roster.

I don't think it is obvious Hillman is ahead of Moreno. I am pretty sure that Moreno has been getting first team reps and has been getting reps ahead of Hillman. And yes Hillman is there guy and the Broncos have nothing invested in Moreno. I understand that. But if he can play he will not be shipped out just because of that alone.

And also after last pre season where Moreno played well I expect the same thing so he may go into the season as the number two. And I think the injury thing is a legit concern but there have been no problems to this point so right now that doesn't look to be a huge factor.

And I don't care where he was picked. I had no problem with trading Tebow. I am not that guy. I just seriously think that he has something to offer to the team and that is more then Mario Fannin, Xavier Omon, Jerimiah Johnson and Lance Ball.

Why can't Moreno play special teams? He's recovering from a serious knee injury and he's NEVER played special teams! That's why! I would think that one is self-explanatory.

#2 -- Is Knowshon going to be cut before the pre-season? Of course not! Nice straw man!

#3 -- Does he have a chance to win a roster spot? Sure. But, despite having his chances to run with the first team he has not impressed so far. They are rotating the backs so Moreno is NOT "ahead of Hillman." Rather the reverse if anything. ALL the backs are taking their turns with the 1st unit.

#4 -- Could Moreno be the #3 RB and not play special teams? Sure, if they decide that only the #4 and #5 RBs need be special teams contributors.

But, I doubt that will happen if they decide to keep Brandon Stokely as one of their five or 6 WRs. After all he certainly can't play special teams either. And SOMEBODY has to!

Normally the #3-#5 WRs are on Special Teams but Stokely has looked great in camp so far and Manning loves him. If they cut Stokely they are going to have an unhappy Peyton Manning. I don't think there's any chance Stokely doesn't make the team baring injury.

So, Moreno is on the bubble.

And if he's not going to beat out Hillman then he will have a tough time making the roster. UNLESS they keep 6 RBs, rather than five. And we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

P.S. I got a laugh from the post that says they could go with 3 RBs. Maybe on Madden, but not in real life! Never in 1 million years. RBs get hurt. NO team will go with 3, ever. Or 4 for that matter. :laugh:

Cugel
08-03-2012, 07:10 PM
This is the dumbest argument that little kids won't let go. Good call captain hindsight

Seems we still have a McDaniels lover hanging on to the dead ends of old LOST arguments!

It wasn't hindsight when everybody in the league plus every commentator was predicting that Brian Orakpo would be the Broncos selection and were shocked when Moreno was announced.

There was widespread incredulity at that pick at the time. And in retrospect it was a hideous blunder.

And saying "hindsight" just doesn't cut it. The 2009 draft was the WORST in Broncos history. Just absolutely horrible from top to bottom. And Moreno was the worst, because he was just ridiculous as the #12 pick of the draft.

HUMCALC
08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Seems we still have a McDaniels lover hanging on to the dead ends of old LOST arguments!

It wasn't hindsight when everybody in the league plus every commentator was predicting that Brian Orakpo would be the Broncos selection and were shocked when Moreno was announced.

There was widespread incredulity at that pick at the time. And in retrospect it was a hideous blunder.

And saying "hindsight" just doesn't cut it. The 2009 draft was the WORST in Broncos history. Just absolutely horrible from top to bottom. And Moreno was the worst, because he was just ridiculous as the #12 pick of the draft.

DEN was given a "B" for drafting Moreno. As far as worst draft goes, 1992, 1993, and 2003 were just as bad. I do agree that KM was a bad pick, and the FO will discard yet another McD player

griff77302003
08-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Moreno picks up the blitz really well , I mean he stonewalls rushers sometimes , this trait takes awhile if ever for rookie RB to get down also moreno is still on his rookie contract . I believe he will stay on the roster thru the year

johnlimburg
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Why can't Moreno play special teams? He's recovering from a serious knee injury and he's NEVER played special teams! That's why! I would think that one is self-explanatory.

Not really. It is learning a new role but if he was thrown in on special teams he could handle it no doubt. I am sure he can tackle and run just as well as Lance Ball who played special teams last season. And just as well as many other backs who have played special teams before. Acting like it is some huge thing that is impossible for him to do is wrong. It is very possible that he could play special teams if he was asked. I am sure he could do it.

#2 -- Is Knowshon going to be cut before the pre-season? Of course not! Nice straw man!

You don't get what the point was. I was just saying the roster is not set right now. No where near it. As I said people and I guess you included are putting way to much stock into what has happened so far. It does matter and it matters a lot however there is so much more evaluation and scouting to be done before anything is set in stone. I was just saying that all the points we are discussing right now about players on the bubble can change dramatically over the next month. And that goes for almost every backup position on the team (which is what is being discussed here) and some starting spots as well.

#3 -- Does he have a chance to win a roster spot? Sure. But, despite having his chances to run with the first team he has not impressed so far. They are rotating the backs so Moreno is NOT "ahead of Hillman." Rather the reverse if anything. ALL the backs are taking their turns with the 1st unit.

Oh please. Where did you hear this from. Because according to several people on 104.3 The Fan he looks so natural as a receiver and has done very well in this department. He was reported to be a little tentative the first few days back with the injury which is too be expected but once he started to get going he has looked fine. Yes the backs have been rotating but seriously acting like one is clearly ahead of the other even right now is just complete crap. I think Moreno and Hillman will get touches and I think it will be an even rotation once the season gets going.

#4 -- Could Moreno be the #3 RB and not play special teams? Sure, if they decide that only the #4 and #5 RBs need be special teams contributors.

There is no saying that we will carry a 4th and 5th runningback. We only carried 3 into last season and the depth in the secondary and potentially at LB/WR/TE the requirment for running backs to play special teams may be limited. Moreno has the potential to be the number 2 or 3 or 4 as does every other back. He is in competition as much as you disagree. Because that disagreement doesn't change he has gotten reps ahead of Hillman and the fact there is still so much more time before this thing is a lock.

But, I doubt that will happen if they decide to keep Brandon Stokely as one of their five or 6 WRs. After all he certainly can't play special teams either. And SOMEBODY has to!

With a guy like Stokley though he more then likely would not be asked to play special teams. However I am sure just like Moreno if he was asked to line up on special teams he would. I thought people would have learned over the years that just cause a player is older doesn't mean they are excempt from special team duties. Guys like Mario Haggan who people thought every off season wouldn't and couldn't play special teams did.

Normally the #3-#5 WRs are on Special Teams but Stokely has looked great in camp so far and Manning loves him. If they cut Stokely they are going to have an unhappy Peyton Manning. I don't think there's any chance Stokely doesn't make the team baring injury.

I agree Stokley makes the team. Not because of Manning but because he is still a quality player. He has the best hands at camp according to many people and has that great chemstry with Manning. And I think we will go deep in the secondary and the linebacking core so they will feature on special teams. And also at tight end there is a big mystery to what will happen with the roster. So I would say if 4 guys are kept there then the bottom 2 will play on special teams also.

So, Moreno is on the bubble.

And if he's not going to beat out Hillman then he will have a tough time making the roster. UNLESS they keep 6 RBs, rather than five. And we all know THAT isn't going to happen.

I agree he is in a spot where he could be any where from the number 2 down to potentially being cut. But your whole basis seems to be based around the idea that he cannot at all play special teams. That in itself is laughable that you make it out to be an impossible role for him.

P.S. I got a laugh from the post that says they could go with 3 RBs. Maybe on Madden, but not in real life! Never in 1 million years. RBs get hurt. NO team will go with 3, ever. Or 4 for that matter. :laugh:

Really buddy ? First off. Not in a million years, really ? How about last year :laugh: You laughed did ya ? I will let you in on a little secret. Last season the Denver Broncos entered the season with guess how many runningbacks on their 53 man roster ??? It was 3. So they showed last year that they have no problem only having 3 runningbacks on the roster. So it would not be a suprise to see it happen again. I am not saying it will happen. Just that it is something THIS current staff done as recently as LAST season. I was just trying to discuss with you and you want to fight and what not but next time you want to ridicule what I had to say actually understand what you are saying :coffee:

johnlimburg
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
The hindsight argument is bogus CRASH123GO. As a general manager or an exec who is in charge of personnel moves you are scouting and projecting what these guys may be at some point down the road. So using that as an excuse to defend the pathetic drafting and player movements of Josh Mcdaniels is not right.

The guy was a horrible drafter and overall was awful in his player personnel decisions. From the Cutler deal, to his first horrendous draft to his final big move of dumping Alfonso Smith for a "receiving tight end". The guy was a failure and the hindsight argument is not a valid one to defend him.

underrated29
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM

#1 Willis McGahee
#2 Ronnie Hillman

Cudgel I like you but you are so full of.....THis by far HAS to be your dumbest post ever!!!!!!

Are you drunk? This is not the court room man. You can't talk your way in or out of this one......Knowshon is CLEARLY the number two and has been for the ENTIRETY of camp. Drink all the coffee you want. But you are either having a brain fart or drunk right now. Not only is your argument completely off and wrong but you have zero evidence other than a bad opinion to back it up on.

Knowshon is Not on the bubble. He is and has been the number DESPITE his coming off an injury. Hillman is/ has been running 4th for the entirety of camp and is now out with injury. Ball is about as bad as your stance here. I'm sorry dude but this was not a good post by you at all. Which leads me to believe you are drunk because ou are a good poster. Knowshon can and WILL be the #2 back come reg season unless he breaks his woman parts again. That is all there is to it and there is no denying it. Special teams meets jack squat on this regard. Ball is e nly one I have seen run special teams with the starters. Fanni n got kicked off. Hillman never got a chance and JJ is fighting for hd life to make the team

underrated29
08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Not really. It is learning a new role but if he was thrown in on special teams he could handle it no doubt. I am sure he can tackle and run just as well as Lance Ball who played special teams last season. And just as well as many other backs who have played special teams before. Acting like it is some huge thing that is impossible for him to do is wrong. It is very possible that he could play special teams if he was asked. I am sure he could do it.

You don't get what the point was. I was just saying the roster is not set right now. No where near it. As I said people and I guess you included are putting way to much stock into what has happened so far. It does matter and it matters a lot however there is so much more evaluation and scouting to be done before anything is set in stone. I was just saying that all the points we are discussing right now about players on the bubble can change dramatically over the next month. And that goes for almost every backup position on the team (which is what is being discussed here) and some starting spots as well.

Oh please. Where did you hear this from. Because according to several people on 104.3 The Fan he looks so natural as a receiver and has done very well in this department. He was reported to be a little tentative the first few days back with the injury which is too be expected but once he started to get going he has looked fine. Yes the backs have been rotating but seriously acting like one is clearly ahead of the other even right now is just complete crap. I think Moreno and Hillman will get touches and I think it will be an even rotation once the season gets going.

There is no saying that we will carry a 4th and 5th runningback. We only carried 3 into last season and the depth in the secondary and potentially at LB/WR/TE the requirment for running backs to play special teams may be limited. Moreno has the potential to be the number 2 or 3 or 4 as does every other back. He is in competition as much as you disagree. Because that disagreement doesn't change he has gotten reps ahead of Hillman and the fact there is still so much more time before this thing is a lock.

With a guy like Stokley though he more then likely would not be asked to play special teams. However I am sure just like Moreno if he was asked to line up on special teams he would. I thought people would have learned over the years that just cause a player is older doesn't mean they are excempt from special team duties. Guys like Mario Haggan who people thought every off season wouldn't and couldn't play special teams did.

I agree Stokley makes the team. Not because of Manning but because he is still a quality player. He has the best hands at camp according to many people and has that great chemstry with Manning. And I think we will go deep in the secondary and the linebacking core so they will feature on special teams. And also at tight end there is a big mystery to what will happen with the roster. So I would say if 4 guys are kept there then the bottom 2 will play on special teams also.

I agree he is in a spot where he could be any where from the number 2 down to potentially being cut. But your whole basis seems to be based around the idea that he cannot at all play special teams. That in itself is laughable that you make it out to be an impossible role for him.

Really buddy ? First off. Not in a million years, really ? How about last year :laugh: You laughed did ya ? I will let you in on a little secret. Last season the Denver Broncos entered the season with guess how many runningbacks on their 53 man roster ??? It was 3. So they showed last year that they have no problem only having 3 runningbacks on the roster. So it would not be a suprise to see it happen again. I am not saying it will happen. Just that it is something THIS current staff done as recently as LAST season. I was just trying to discuss with you and you want to fight and what not but next time you want to ridicule what I had to say actually understand what you are saying :coffee:

You're alright limburger, cuges is drunk and you are being trolled.NO WHERE has Hillman been ahead of knowshon at any time, except into the trainers office for rehab. He is drunk, give cugel a pass cuz he is a good poster, we all have had these moments.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Moreno is a good football player. He's not going anywhere.

Hadez
08-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Herd Moreno ran out of bounds yesterday when we were practicing protecting the lead and trying to run out the clock. Not exactly the level of football knowledge you would expect from a RB going into his fourth year.

Knowshon Moreno must have missed the Broncos' stunning victory against the Chicago Bears last December. How else could you explain his massive gaff in a late-game situation team drill in Monday's practice? With the second-team offense needing only to run out the clock to preserve a "win" against the defense, Moreno sprinted for a first down, and pulled a Marion Barber by running out of bounds. He, and all of his offensive teammates and coaches, realized the error as soon as he stepped out. The groans, and some curse words, could be heard all the way across the field.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21256813/broncos-ben-garland-gets-helping-hand-from-teammates

Like I been saying since 3/4 way through his rookie year, he does not have the mental tools to play RB in the NFL. Maybe he can be coached up but he is not learning from anyone in Denver...and other things I have pointed earlier in this thread can not be coached imo.

Not gonna quote the many who have said it but I remember more then once when Moreno being asked to pass block and not doing his job. Also he NEVER will chip a pass rusher while going out to be the checkdown like TD use to, like the Saints backs do and like the Patriot backs do.

samparnell
08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Never say never.

SoundsOfSuccess
08-30-2012, 12:54 AM
The hindsight argument is bogus CRASH123GO. As a general manager or an exec who is in charge of personnel moves you are scouting and projecting what these guys may be at some point down the road. So using that as an excuse to defend the pathetic drafting and player movements of Josh Mcdaniels is not right.

The guy was a horrible drafter and overall was awful in his player personnel decisions. From the Cutler deal, to his first horrendous draft to his final big move of dumping Alfonso Smith for a "receiving tight end". The guy was a failure and the hindsight argument is not a valid one to defend him.

I think he was more referring to the fact people are usually far more accurate in things like this in hindsight.

Kansas Bob
08-30-2012, 03:20 PM
I sure will be glad when the final cuts come and go so I don't have to read about Ayers and Moreno getting cut. Someone on another website wanted to cut Ayers, Move Malik Jackson from DT to DE so Denver could keep a UDFA defensive tackle. IMO that would be silly but the coaches make the final decisions.

broncolassiter
08-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Moreno has made a case tonight. 7 carries for 49 yards with a long of 17 and another of 10.

CanDB
08-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Moreno's A Keeper!!!

He is our #2 RB.....