PDA

View Full Version : Death finally catches up to the elusive former world champ Johnny Tapia

350legend
05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
The only surprise, perhaps, is that he survived the first four times he was declared dead.

Johnny Tapia celebrates after defeating Eduardo Alvarez during an international featherweight contest. (AP)Tapia won major world championships in three weight classes and was one of the elite fighters of the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Despite his brilliance in the ring, he was far better known for a life story that was far stranger than any fiction novel could ever be.

An 89-word passage from his 2010 autobiography, "Mi Vida Loca," probably best sums up the sad life of this small, troubled and talented man.

Sad ending to a great Boxer!!

// / yardo
05-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Definitely. Being from New Mexico I've followed his career pretty closely. It was not if but when the party would catch up with him. Sad

350legend
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
It is, im seeing this more and more with these athletes. money and fame cant change who they really are, you would think they would after being put in a position to help there families and love ones around them.

// / yardo
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
It is, im seeing this more and more with these athletes. money and fame cant change who they really are, you would think they would after being put in a position to help there families and love ones around them.
I try not to pass judgment. I like to party. Add to that, money and fame, I'm sure I'd do some questionable things. The sad part is he leaves a family behind.

350legend
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Its true. We all @ some time or another due questionable things, its how we mange our lives that determine our fate, good or bad., i feel u thou!