PDA

View Full Version : Orton to the Colts last year might have negated Manning acquisition ...

dizzolve
05-28-2012, 10:41 AM
As bad as it was imho for Orton to go to the Chiefs last year, if he'd have gone to IND, Manning may have not even been traded!

Very Very interesting article on last year's trade deadline rules, how they were changed, and what could have happened if last year was this year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829645d5/article/kyle-orton-could-have-been-a-colt-bill-polian-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

Couldn't agree more with this closing statement:

Had an 0-8 Colts team traded a top-70 pick for eight weeks of Kyle Orton, heads still would have rolled and the new regime would have been without an top pick in their first draft towards rebuilding the franchise.

broncolee
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Manning wasn't traded. He was released.

dizzolve
05-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Ooops

You're right -and wow it's such an incredible blessing. We gave up nothing! Just have to pay the guy

broncolee
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Polian probably should have claimed Orton off waivers.

If they couldn't get Luck or Griffin, they would have kept Manning and he probably would have made sure that Polian stuck around.

Kansas Bob
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
They would probably have been as bad with Orton as they were without him. Myself, I am glad we got Manning. Orton wasn't a team changer like Manning, IMO

BroncosPWNn00bs
05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Manning still wasn't traded, even with Orton going to the Chiefs :rockon:

Although if the Colts did trade for Orton last year, chances are they would have went 0-16 instead of 2-14, so they probably would have ended up getting Andrew Luck anyways, and we would have still got Manning. :salute:

Oh well, glad everything worked out for everyone, and everyone is happy. ( Besides Gator fans).

Crazy that 4 months ago I never thought getting Manning would even be a possibility. I have to say, he looks legit in the Orange and Blue. :salute:

BroncoFanBoy
05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
? Orton?!? :confused: ORTON? to the Colts?

He isn't a winner. Sure, he's better than Curtis Painter, but they still would've sucked.

BroncoooJohnson
05-28-2012, 10:44 PM
They would probably have been as bad with Orton as they were without him. Myself, I am glad we got Manning. Orton wasn't a team changer like Manning, IMO

But give Orton tons of credit for being a great game manager, which Painter sure as hell was not (Purdue fans don't even like Painter, but they love Orton to death).

Orton always got the ball to the hot hand, and that could have been Reggie Wayne, Collie, and even Garcon.

BroncoooJohnson
05-28-2012, 10:45 PM

He isn't a winner. Sure, he's better than Curtis Painter, but they still would've sucked.

Not bad enough for Luck, not at all. Orton turned a team around and beat us, based on record.

jetrazor74
05-28-2012, 10:55 PM

I bet they would have won a few more games with Orton. We can all agree Orton isn't a great QB, but he's miles above Painter.

BroncoFanBoy
05-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Not bad enough for Luck, not at all. Orton turned a team around and beat us, based on record.

They're better off getting Luck than with Orton or any other Colts QB last season not named Peyton. And if Tebow wasn't so bad that game, we would've EASILY beat Orton. He didn't do anything against us. They only scored 7 points, and it was because of Dexter McCluster. NOT ORTON. Plus, the Chiefs do have talent on the team.

I bet they would have won a few more games with Orton. We can all agree Orton isn't a great QB, but he's miles above Painter.

With THAT defense, running game, no completely dominant receivers (Wayne and Garcon are great but not elite) and offensive line? (Other than Saturday) Orton only led us to 3 wins in 2010 when he had Brandon Lloyd, who lead the league in receiving yards, and we started off 1-4 with him at QB. Even with Willis McGahee and our improved defense.

I say he would've led them to 3-13 or 4-12.

PowderAddict
05-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Orton wouldn't have made a difference IMO.

That team had already quit. Orton isn't the kind of player that can put "fight" into the heart of someone who has quit.

BroncoFanBoy
05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Orton wouldn't have made a difference IMO.

That team had already quit. Orton isn't the kind of player that can put "fight" into the heart of someone who has quit.

Exactly! Like I said, the Colts still would've sucked.

Broncoholic3233
05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Sure, they would've sucked, but not #1 pick status.

dizzolve
05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
The article points out that IND was actually in 2 of those remaining games. Orton may have been just enough to push them over the top in those 2 games which WOULD have changed history most likely. Wouldn't have taken much to change history when you think about it even the Manning decision wasn't 100% predictable that they'd release him - that was up the last day too.

I think Orton would have made enough of a difference to have changed the course of events that actually emerged. This is coming from an anti-Orton fan too in case you think I'm like Neckbeard or something

It's interesting to ponder in any event

jlhawkins9
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Bigger thing to think bout if the deadline was later last year we keep Lloyd and maybe win another game. Doubt we would have beat NE our D couldn't stop anyone.
Also maybe got a higher pick for Lloyd as well