PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] Rockies 2012 Draft

Broncoholic3233
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Colorado selects David Dahl, OF.

Going to Auburn University.

DenverBlood
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Played high school an hour and a half from me and I know nothing about him. At least he is an Auburn guy.

Atwnbroncfan
06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Awful pick. We needed hitters and pitching not another Dexter Fowler. Another fail by O'Dowd

BroncoFanBoy
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Thumbs down from close and thumbs down from a far.

Dan O'Dowd has left the Rockies with another scar. I'm going to the bar...

Broncoholic3233
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Awful pick. We needed hitters and pitching not another Dexter Fowler. Another fail by O'Dowd

The dude has a bat? An impact bat at that.

And you still hating on Dex??

This guy was rated the 3rd best OF in the draft and best player in Alabama.

DenverBlood
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Not really sure why all the negativity towards O'Dowd on this pick. My guess is you guys had no clue who this kid even was till the pick was made.

Read this and see if y'all are still bashing the pick so bad.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=153878

CinnaMunMun
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Not really sure why all the negativity towards O'Dowd on this pick. My guess is you guys had no clue who this kid even was till the pick was made.

Read this and see if y'all are still bashing the pick so bad.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=153878

Agreed. I wanted a pitcher, but this kid looks like a legit player.

Atwnbroncfan
06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
The dude has a bat? An impact bat at that.

And you still hating on Dex??

This guy was rated the 3rd best OF in the draft and best player in Alabama.

The kid is a speedy gap hitter. We needed power hitters and most of all pitching. Only pass O'Dowd would get, is If he came and and said this organization can't develop pitching (which is true) and get pitching by other means, then fine.

Not hating on Dex either. Quiet the opposite, even though this kid is about a 4 year deal I would imagine that Dex will be here much longer. Dex is still progressing into an all star caliber CF. When I was comparing him to dexter it was meant we already have the role filled for now and future.

Broncoholic3233
06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
The kid is a speedy gap hitter. We needed power hitters and most of all pitching. Only pass O'Dowd would get, is If he came and and said this organization can't develop pitching (which is true) and get pitching by other means, then fine.

Not hating on Dex either. Quiet the opposite, even though this kid is about a 4 year deal I would imagine that Dex will be here much longer. Dex is still progressing into an all star caliber CF

Ok. I couldn't tell if it was an insult to Dexter or not, hence the question.

But I am pretty content with the pick. :shrug:

CinnaMunMun
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Not hating on Dex either. Quiet the opposite, even though this kid is about a 4 year deal I would imagine that Dex will be here much longer. Dex is still progressing into an all star caliber CF. When I was comparing him to dexter it was meant we already have the role filled for now and future.

The kid has a slim frame and can bulk up. He is also projected to hit 20-25 annually and potentially be a 5-tool player. Nothing wrong with that besides he isn't a pitcher.

Atwnbroncfan
06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
The kid has a slim frame and can bulk up. He is also projected to hit 20-25 annually and potentially be a 5-tool player. Nothing wrong with that besides he isn't a pitcher.

I'd be willing to bet a lot that he won't be a 20-25 HR guy. I'd suppose it's possible with coors inflated numbers, but they'll need to develop him into a 2 hole hitter.

As for the pitcher we drafted at 46, Butler. Good arm speed and strength. Horrible mechanics and Delivery, so thus command issues. We tend to gravitate to command issue pitchers with good arm speed and strength. Tyler Matzek??? But Butler projects as a relief pitcher so it could be different.

Then again I'm overreacting because it doesn't matter where someone is drafted. Most stars come from later in the draft, not the 1st round. Players who get time to develop turn out better than the rushed 1st round prospects.

Broncoholic3233
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
David Dahl, CF, Oak Mountain H.S. (Birmingham, Ala.)
McDaniel: The Rockies were rumored to be on prep bats, with Courtney Hawkins and Dahl the two mentioned most often. Dahl is a guy I saw this spring and really believe in his ability to hit, as he also hit very well against good pitching with wood bats on the summer circuit. He's often compared to Colby Rasmus as a left-handed-hitting Alabama prep center fielder with above-average tools. Dahl has a chance for five above average to plus tools with average current raw power and at least plus speed. He also has an advanced feel for the game and some struggles this spring may be the only reason he made it to the 10th pick. A really nice pick by the Rockies here.

BroncoFanBoy
06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
We also got RHP Eddie Butler out of Radford University. He's got a 97 MHP fastball, along with a slider and changeup. Butler went 7-4 with a 2.20 ERA (98.0 ip, 24 er), 23 walks and 95 strikeouts in 14 starts for Radford in 2012.

I like this pick.

CinnaMunMun
06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
I'd be willing to bet a lot that he won't be a 20-25 HR guy. I'd suppose it's possible with coors inflated numbers, but they'll need to develop him into a 2 hole hitter.

As for the pitcher we drafted at 46, Butler. Good arm speed and strength. Horrible mechanics and Delivery, so thus command issues. We tend to gravitate to command issue pitchers with good arm speed and strength. Tyler Matzek??? But Butler projects as a relief pitcher so it could be different.

Then again I'm overreacting because it doesn't matter where someone is drafted. Most stars come from later in the draft, not the 1st round. Players who get time to develop turn out better than the rushed 1st round prospects.

Yea Drew had a stat tonight that said only 60%ish of players from the 1st round make it to the bigs. Pretty bad for a bunch of guys who are supposed to be sure things.

Rockies head of scouting did say that Butler will be a starter in the organization. Of course that doesn't prevent them from changing down the road, but it will be....interesting.

DenverBlood
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Rockies signed draft picks David Dahl, Eddie Butler and Seth Willoughby today.

Guess Dahl won't be going to Auburn after all.

Broncoholic3233
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Dahl actually signed like a day or two ago.

He was interviewed last night during the game.

He was supposed to start today in Grand Junction. Not literally start I don't think, but at least report for his first day.

DenverBlood
06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh well I didn't see the report in the Denver Post till yesterday with the interview from all three. Just glad we brought them all in quickly.