PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there with Dreamweaver CS6 experience? HELP!

FLBroncFan
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
For my daughter's Web Design class (her quote)

For my web design class I am working on external css, the assignment requires me to position some content but when I go to live view everything is all jumbled up. I have to work on four other pages which have to be linked. I'm using Dreamweaver CS6.

Some of the instructions from my instructor.

Assignment - a modified version of your four-page site (or five-page site as the case may be) from module 3. This time, again, fix any issues and then take your style sheets external, and link all pages to one style sheet; then make global changes to the positioning of your div's and also to your background colors with that external style sheet.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9c022ec280&view=att&th=137d41ab3cbf4620&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9c022ec280&view=att&th=137d41ab3cbf4620&attid=0.1.2&disp=emb&zw&atsh=1

FLBroncFan
06-09-2012, 08:10 PM
if you would rather contact me via email, please send any suggestions to:

elways1998@gmail.com

or you can always PM me...

thanks!

CinnaMunMun
06-09-2012, 08:58 PM
I think I might be able to help when I get off work tonight if nobody else can by then.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-09-2012, 09:02 PM
When she's coding her things is she positioning things in relation to the page? Meaning coding things in percentages to the webpage or is she coding it for an exact position? For example she sets a banner at 1456 400 or like 30% of the webpage(just a random coordinate I made up). I'm guessing she did both of them for the same page which is exactly why your web page is all jumbled up.

And is she doing all that coding for positioning on the CSS or just on the actual page? That could jumble up some stuff too if not careful.

// / yardo
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Would like to help you but the images aren't showing up so it's hard to understand what the actual issue is. Is the site live somewhere that I could look at the code?

FLBroncFan
06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
When she's coding her things is she positioning things in relation to the page? Meaning coding things in percentages to the webpage or is she coding it for an exact position? For example she sets a banner at 1456 400 or like 30% of the webpage(just a random coordinate I made up). I'm guessing she did both of them for the same page which is exactly why your web page is all jumbled up.

And is she doing all that coding for positioning on the CSS or just on the actual page? That could jumble up some stuff too if not careful.

Thanks for responding, I just gave her the information you mentioned above. This is all greek to me, but she will know if this is what the problem was. :salute:

FLBroncFan
06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Would like to help you but the images aren't showing up so it's hard to understand what the actual issue is. Is the site live somewhere that I could look at the code?

I believe it is on her college website but I am not sure. I don't think anyone could help her on site unless she shares her log in and PW which isn't allowed.....thanks for offering the assistance, she will probably begin with the instructions given by xX-BRONCO-X-x.

FLBroncFan
06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I think I might be able to help when I get off work tonight if nobody else can by then.

I am going to advise her to join the BCMB just so I don't have to be a go-between, lol. She's the Media Design and Graphic Arts student, I'm the Bronco fan. :D

Thanks!

LordTrychon
06-10-2012, 12:11 PM
If she opens the files in a regular browser, she'll at least be able to see if it's something she's doing wrong, or if dreamweaver is jumbling it. It can be funky at times, though it seems she's working on very simple pages, so it's probably not dreamweaver.

xX-Bronco-Xx
06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing it has to do with what I mentioned above. Because she probably did stuff where she positioned like a banner 30% to the left or something and then did other stuff at an exact location instead. And if you do that 30% to the left it will be different for each computer and browser because of different resolutions and 30% to the left will depend on that what resolution of computer you have.

I can't say I'm an expert because I'm not, but I've taken an introductory course and had this same exact problem. The coding though I can't help with because I forgot all that mumbo jumbo.

FLBroncFan
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
If she opens the files in a regular browser, she'll at least be able to see if it's something she's doing wrong, or if dreamweaver is jumbling it. It can be funky at times, though it seems she's working on very simple pages, so it's probably not dreamweaver.

Is one browser more superior over another? I think she uses Firefox but cannot be too sure if Google Chrome is better...any suggestions?

// / yardo
06-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Her layout could be breaking because of a 1000 different reasons. But without seeing her html it's like shooting in the dark.

My suggestion, if she wants to go into web design, learn to code with a text editor. Dreamweaver is a major crutch and won't help her learn why her css is breaking her layout.

Im not just talking from my butt. I've been in the web programming and design industry for 12 years. I run a successful web solutions company. If I were to give any kind of useful advice to someone it would be that. I would be hard pressed to hire someone that couldn't design me a website layout without using a simple text editor.

FLBroncFan
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks all she figured it out after reading all the great suggestions you gave me.....it was the positioning issue that x-X-Bronco-X-x pointed out.

CP to everyone for your assistance!! :salute: