PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy reportedly put on trading block by Browns

one5beast
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
The Cleveland Browns reportedly tried to trade quarterback Colt McCoy during the draft. It didn't work, so the team kept him on the roster throughout the offseason.

Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com writes Friday: "When Weeden was drafted, I was told by an NFL source that the Browns didnít want to 'pile on' McCoy and just release him. They were sensitive to the fact he had gotten such a raw deal already."

Mike Holmgren talked about that "raw deal" on Thursday.

"I think (Colt's) a wonderful young man, and a good football player," Holmgren said. "And if you are asking me to say was it fair last year? He had a tough go and he didnít get as much help as I thought he was going to get. But heck, thatís football.Ē

Translation: Thanks for trying. It wasn't enough.

Seneca Wallace can't imagine there being enough room for him and McCoy on the roster. Wallace knows things. Holmgren is likely to look for a way out for McCoy.

"They would like to find McCoy a new team, a new opportunity, to spare him the ignominy of being released. They will not demand much in a trade," Grossi writes.

A conditional late-round pick would probably get it done. We'd be on that happening. The Browns are trying to do McCoy a favor, but it doesn't do the 2012 Browns much of a favor to have this story drag out through August.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829db453/article/colt-mccoy-reportedly-put-on-trading-block-by-browns?module=HP11_headline_stack

where do you guys think he goes?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
It's hard to say. They won't likely get more than a conditional 6th for him. Some team in need of a backup "might" pull the trigger. Unfortunately, there might not be a trade market unless someone goes down in the preseason.

CoryWinget81
06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
:laugh:

Their terrible line nearly got McCoy killed, and they didn't even care. No one checking on him after the hit, etc.

As for where he goes?

The Saints just lost Chase Daniel to a broken thumb. Perhaps there? They like short QB's from Texas.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
:laugh:

Their terrible line nearly got McCoy killed, and they didn't even care. No one checking on him after the hit, etc.

As for where he goes?

The Saints just lost Chase Daniel to a broken thumb. Perhaps there? They like short QB's from Texas.

Yeah, that was pretty disturbing last year. There's still some archaic attitudes about head injuries. I saw it last week with my son. He gets a concussion, goes to the sideline and tells his coach he's dizzy. His coach then tells him it's just the heat and he proceeds to play 3 more scrimmages with a concussion. I was really pissed.

D'WOLFEPACK
06-15-2012, 08:08 AM
he could probably compete in KC!

one5beast
06-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I can see him going to the Saint. But i kind of wanna see him go to the Packers. Sit behind Rodgers and get better then someone will probably pay him when he becomes a FA

CoryWinget81
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah, that was pretty disturbing last year. There's still some archaic attitudes about head injuries. I saw it last week with my son. He gets a concussion, goes to the sideline and tells his coach he's dizzy. His coach then tells him it's just the heat and he proceeds to play 3 more scrimmages with a concussion. I was really pissed.

Yeah, its unfortunate that it still happens. If you've played football, you've probably played with a concussion. The, "we don't have anyone else" and "you're okay, you just got the wind knocked out of you" crap needs to stop.

350legend
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
The bears just Wavied 1 of there back ups, why not snatch him up... I know theres a lot of Comp over there but its worth a shot with his talent

CoryWinget81
06-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, its unfortunate that it still happens. If you've played football, you've probably played with a concussion. The, "we don't have anyone else" and "you're okay, you just got the wind knocked out of you" crap needs to stop.

Also, I wanted to say that it really goes both ways, concussion awareness. I was so scared of losing my spot that I rarely told coaches if I didn't feel right or something was wrong. :shrug:

BroncoFanBoy
06-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I could see him go to the Packers. They lost Flynn in the offseason and they could use a backup for Rodgers.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Also, I wanted to say that it really goes both ways, concussion awareness. I was so scared of losing my spot that I rarely told coaches if I didn't feel right or something was wrong. :shrug:

Oh yeah, my son has dealt with those fears this last week. Fortunately, they're just having non mandatory workouts right now. But it has been kind of shocking to see how uneducated his coach was about concussions. In Idaho coaches are required to take a class, but I get the impression they don't get much out of it, other than an "I attended this class card".

It was terrifying for me. That evening he couldn't answer simple questions. He even put his shoes on the wrong feet to go the ER. I sometimes wonder if it might have not been as severe if his coach wouldn't have had him play 3 more scrimmages.

CoryWinget81
06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Oh yeah, my son has dealt with those fears this last week. Fortunately, they're just having non mandatory workouts right now. But it has been kind of shocking to see how uneducated his coach was about concussions. In Idaho coaches are required to take a class, but I get the impression they don't get much out of it, other than an "I attended this class card".

It was terrifying for me. That evening he couldn't answer simple questions. He even put his shoes on the wrong feet to go the ER. I sometimes wonder if it might have not been as severe if his coach wouldn't have had him play 3 more scrimmages.

Geez, what grade did they end up giving it? He's gonna be okay but that doesn't make it any less scary, especially for the parents.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Geez, what grade did they end up giving it? He's gonna be okay but that doesn't make it any less scary, especially for the parents.

His CAT scan was negative. I believe if they don't see bleeding on the brain or bruising on the brain a concussion is graded as mild.

Yeah dude, it was scary and I was really mad. He told me he took another big hit in his last scrimmage.

BroncoFanNC
06-15-2012, 08:58 AM
We can give them a FB and Caleb Hanie for Colt McCoy. Ready, GO!

bronx_2003
06-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I have never been a McCoy fan. His arm is poor and he is a back-up.

Saying that, he might be a pretty decent back-up.

I wouldn't be too mad if we dropped a 6th / 7th for him, back-ups are important.

Denver Mike
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm sure its been stated but we should make a bid on McCoy. Granted we're set at the position and granted Osweiler is the name of the "future" but with Manning leading the group it wouldn't hurt to give Brock a competitor. And to be honest I really liked McCoy. I think the competition would be sweet and It would be awesome to see either of them really develop and be behind center in the future

InElwayWeTrust
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't hate it, if it was a REALLY small bid.

But,

Osweiler's potential >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCoy's

Denver Mike
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't hate it, if it was a REALLY small bid.

But,

Osweiler's potential >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCoy's

You never really know man. Crazier has happened. I like Brock, but for all we know he could be like Derek Anderson 2.0

MarkB
06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Would rather have McCoy than Hanie.

InElwayWeTrust
06-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Lol true Dat. But Hanie might not make the roster, so it would be dumb to trade draft picks to replace a guy who might not make the roster. ;)

broncos SB2010
06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Hanie may not even make the team as it is. It might be Manning, Weber, and Osweiler. I think I would rather stick with those guys over McCoy since I think they are better long term options.

Sync
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
How small a bid are we talking about? Like, a twinkie?

underrated29
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I would hate it. Id rather have brady quinn. I have never liked mccoy. I always thought he was garbage and so far its looks to be true. I still LOL at the days of the draft when people kept comparing him to drew brees. The guys sucks and aside from the texas fans most people see that.

HUMCALC
06-15-2012, 11:39 AM
I also like the idea of him going to the Saints. It just makes sense for the reasons mentioned above

BroncoFanBoy
06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
If I just recently became the Browns GM, I actually wouldn't trade McCoy. That offensive line in Cleveland's a killer, and until improved, they could use as much QB depth as possible.

HUMCALC
06-15-2012, 11:50 AM
For some unknown reason the CLE FOs have ignored OL & WR

ajaywaffles
06-15-2012, 11:55 AM
No, we shouldn't.

Charlie Brown
06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Nonsense,

This article is conjcture by Tony Grossi who was fired as the Browns beat writer. Further, it is based on Seneca Wallace's assertion that there is no room in Cleveland for both him and McCoy. Seneca Wallace refused to help Colt McCoy in learning the playbook, Seneca Wallace has gone on record as stating that he refuses to take a backup job with the Browns because he feels he is starter material in the NFL.

So, who do you keep? The young McCoy who has proven he is a capable starter or Seneca Wallace (who is making all of the above demands). It is a no-brainer - Wallace needs to start packing his bags. Lastly, don't trust the word of a person that was fired for the poor excuse for journalism that he passed off.

dsmith275
06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't want the Broncos to trade for McCoy. Yeah he is better than Hanie but I don't think Hanie will even make the final roster. I am happy with Manning, Weber, and Oisweiler.

Jay3
06-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I think McCoy is pretty good. I would love to see him turn up somewhere and make some more noise.

the0rangecrush
06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
So Colt's brother Case(texas QB) tweeted that he wishes Weeden the best, but his brother actually drew the lucky straw because Cleveland is a sinking ship. Sometimes people do things that make you go hmmm.

Charlie Brown
06-16-2012, 09:40 PM
So Colt's brother Case(texas QB) tweeted that he wishes Weeden the best, but his brother actually drew the lucky straw because Cleveland is a sinking ship. Sometimes people do things that make you go hmmm.

He said that since the Browns traded Colt McCoy to the Eagles that WEEDen is inheriting a team that will go nowhere with him and that the team is going downhill while McCoy is going onto greener pastures.

Then, he realized that the report he cited was from a fake ESPN twitter feed - and apologized.

BroncoFanBoy
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
He said that since the Browns traded Colt McCoy to the Eagles that WEEDen is inheriting a team that will go nowhere with him and that the team is going downhill while McCoy is going onto greener pastures.

Then, he realized that the report he cited was from a fake ESPN twitter feed - and apologized.

I'm sure you would agree with what he said about the Browns.

Charlie Brown
06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sure you would agree with what he said about the Browns.

Who is better?

Seneca Wallace or Colt McCoy?

It seems stupid to even ask - Colt McCoy is the far superior quarterback.

When WEEDen fails as a rookie - who will the team have to turn to? Wallace?! Ha Ha Ha Ha

RaiderFanSD
06-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Why are you so sure Weeden is going to fail?? The ONLY real negative about him is his age. He's got the smarts, maturity, and can fling the ball.

And why do ya keep capitalizing WEED? :P

Charlie Brown
06-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Why are you so sure Weeden is going to fail?? The ONLY real negative about him is his age. He's got the smarts, maturity, and can fling the ball.

And why do ya keep capitalizing WEED? :P

Poor offensive line (in fact the top offensive line selection for the Browns this year was overdrafted), extremely poor receivers, and a rookie as a quarterback against the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens defenses? Not to mention the third toughest schedule in the ENTIRE NFL.

WEEDen will fail and WEED is capitalized because that is what the front office was under the influence of when they drafted him rather than drafting the best receiver available for Colt McCoy.

Further, the knocks on WEEDen in college were that he had poor pocket awareness, slow movement, and was extremely poor at picking up the blitz. Plus, let's not forget about the fact that he had Justin Blackmon to throw to in college.