PDA

View Full Version : [Nuggets] Denver's class of 2011 set for 2012 NBA Summer League/Brandon Roy Comeback

johnlimburg
06-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Denver's class of 2011 set for 2012 NBA Summer League

Denied a NBA summer orientation last July Kenneth Faried, Jordan Hamilton and Julyan Stone look eager to make up for it in 2012.
The three Denver Nuggets teammates have been mainstays at Pepsi Center over the past several weeks as they hone their game in advance of the 2012 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

“They’ve done a great job,” said Nuggets assistant Chad Iske, who will oversee Denver’s summer league team. “They’ve all come in with a hard-work mindset. Both Jordan and Julyan came back earlier than we asked them to, and Kenneth’s been a leader with his work ethic.”

The NBA did not have a summer league in 2011, preventing Faried, Hamilton and Stone from familiarizing themselves with Denver’s offensive and defensive systems before their 2011-12 rookie seasons.

Faried emerged as capable starting power forward and was selected the NBA’s 2011-12 All-Rookie First Team. Hamilton and Stone played only 26 and 22 games, respectively.

“I’m excited to play a big role on the summer league team and show them I can compete,” Hamilton said. “Most of all, I’m looking forward to helping the team win some games.”

Hamilton, 21, was the first Nuggets player to return to Pepsi Center after the season ended on May 12. He was joined about a week later by Stone, while Faried wasn’t far behind.

Their offseason conditioning program has included running the stairs at Red Rocks, lifting weights with strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess, individual on-court sessions with the coaching staff and full-court games.

“They’ve put themselves in the best position to have success because they’re putting in the work,” Nuggets advance scout/assistant coach Jesse Mermuys said. “They’re very much ahead of the curve because they were here so early.”

Faried, Hamilton and Stone will be the headliners for Denver’s five-game summer league schedule that runs from July 14-20. The roster also would presumably include any players taken in the June 28 NBA Draft; the Nuggets hold the 20th, 38th and 50th picks.

Hopefully Faried has been working on developing a post game and puts it to practise in the summer league games he plays in. And Hamilton hopefully shows what he can do. It would be great to have a JR Smith replica sort of player. Someone who can hit the 3 consistantly. And Stone hopefully can show something so maybe it can make losing Miller in free agency okay. I think Miller leaves.
__________________________________________________ __________

Brandon Roy Comeback

In December of 2011, Brandon Roy announced his retirement from professional basketball because of the chronic knee problems that derailed his once-promising career.

But as we know, NBA retirements are not always permanent (Michael Jordan anyone?). So, it should not come as a serious surprise that Roy, once a three-time All-Star with the Portland Trail Blazers, has announced plans for a return to the NBA.

Roy, targeting the start of the 2012-13 season, announced via Twitter that he plans to make a comeback.

Since he does not have a Twitter account, Roy's former teammate, Will Conroy (a current NBA D-League player) took care of breaking the news.

"Yes, I'm preparing for a comeback," one tweet read. "I'm training daily. I'm preparing for a return next year. I appreciate the love. Hopefully I'll be back on the floor soon. Health is good."

If Roy does return to full or capable health, it won't be with Portland, the team that drafted him.

"I wish, but due to the NBA rules I cannot play in Portland until 2014-2015," Roy tweeted. "I'm looking to return sooner. Thanks for your support. I'm fortunate to have played for such a great fan base. No matter where I play, Portland will always have a special place in my heart."

The Trail Blazers used the amnesty clause on Roy's contract, practically forcing his retirement. They went that route instead of removing his salary through medical retirement. Because of this, other teams would be able to claim Roy by bidding on a portion of his contract.

The question is, how many teams will come bidding? Any team in pursuit of Roy would certainly want to make sure he is healthy and at full force through a series of medical tests. Sources close to Roy have indicated he's training in Seattle and has made steady progress with his knees.

Regardless, it's transparent that Roy's determination is high.

"Lord willing, I will play again soon," one of Roy's tweets read.

Would you want to bring Roy in. He probably isn't needed as we have Afflallo, Brewer, Chandler and Hamilton. Hopefully Hamilton gets some minutes and we know the other 3 can play. So there really isn't any room if we wanted Roy. However for a cheap price he could add to the team. Especially in the clutch. If he could bring that with him I wouldn't mind him getting him.

beastlyskronk
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd love to bring Roy in and work him out and see what he looks like. If he's anywhere near close to 100% and doesn't have a problem coming off the bench, he'd be a great addition. I don't think he'll want to be a bench player though and I'm sure there's a team out there that'll bring him in to start. There are a lot of teams that can use a good SG and he'd improve a lot of teams at that position, even some contenders too.

InElwayWeTrust
06-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd love to bring Roy in and work him out and see what he looks like. If he's anywhere near close to 100% and doesn't have a problem coming off the bench, he'd be a great addition. I don't think he'll want to be a bench player though and I'm sure there's a team out there that'll bring him in to start. There are a lot of teams that can use a good SG and he'd improve a lot of teams at that position, even some contenders too.

If Brandon Roy was near 100%, he wouldn't be coming off of the bench. Brandon Roy at 100% > Gallo, Wilson, AAA combined.

Problem is there is no way he's 100% and in all likelihood he never will be again.

beastlyskronk
06-16-2012, 10:14 PM
If Brandon Roy was near 100%, he wouldn't be coming off of the bench. Brandon Roy at 100% > Gallo, Wilson, AAA combined.

Problem is there is no way he's 100% and in all likelihood he never will be again.

Not necessarily, if he was near 100% you'd like to keep him there for as long as possible so you'd have to limit him throughout the season. Either way he wouldn't be getting starter minutes

johnlimburg
06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Not necessarily, if he was near 100% you'd like to keep him there for as long as possible so you'd have to limit him throughout the season. Either way he wouldn't be getting starter minutes

Exactly. It would be a situation like the Rockets had a couple years back with Yao Ming. They knew his foot was weak so they said they would not play him any more then 24 minutes per game. It would be the same with Roy. Play him a max 24 minutes per game or whatever time limit the doctors come up with.

InElwayWeTrust
06-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Well when I think of 100%... I think of someone who can play a full game. If he can't play a full game without risking injury then that isn't 100%. For your example, yao Ming wasn't 100% for almost his entire career, but when he was he was a beast.

I will re-word it, if Brandon Roy is 100% and able to play full games, he would start and it isn't even close. Brandon Roy at full health was on a completely different level from Gallo, AAA, and Chandler. He was a superstar with the clutch gene.

johnlimburg
06-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Well when I think of 100%... I think of someone who can play a full game. If he can't play a full game without risking injury then that isn't 100%. For your example, yao Ming wasn't 100% for almost his entire career, but when he was he was a beast.

I will re-word it, if Brandon Roy is 100% and able to play full games, he would start and it isn't even close. Brandon Roy at full health was on a completely different level from Gallo, AAA, and Chandler. He was a superstar with the clutch gene.

I see what you are saying. Roy will never be playing 37 minutes per game ever again like he was in his best days. I think which ever team he goes to will limit his activity. I think he would be worth it for a team like Chicago. Could provide some quality points in short minutes for them.

GK said again the other day that he wants the same team back in 2012-13. I hope Masai feels differently and he makes some moves to make the team better. I bet we stick with the same guys again and if we do we will bow out early in the playoffs again.

InElwayWeTrust
06-17-2012, 05:25 AM
I see what you are saying. Roy will never be playing 37 minutes per game ever again like he was in his best days. I think which ever team he goes to will limit his activity. I think he would be worth it for a team like Chicago. Could provide some quality points in short minutes for them.

GK said again the other day that he wants the same team back in 2012-13. I hope Masai feels differently and he makes some moves to make the team better. I bet we stick with the same guys again and if we do we will bow out early in the playoffs again.

Yes.

I agree with pretty much every thing you said here. :salute:

The Experience
06-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Even a 70% Roy is way better than Fernandez....

I would definitely take a look at him.