PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Basketball

Amari24
06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Now that the NBA finals are over, it's time to set our sights on London. Last time Spain gave the Redeem Team a run for their money, but the rosters will be a little different. Spain loses Rubio to injury, but gets to add Ibaka next to the Gasol brothers. USA loses Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose to injury.

CP3 and Deron Will should be able to hold the PG spot down, but the Center position worries me. Bynum is skipping the olympics for knee surgery, Dwight is out, and LaMarcus Aldrige is out. Wade also said he may skip due to his knee injury and being fatigued, but I doubt it.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/02/21/236698-new-nike-team-usa-basketball-uniforms.jpg

Here's my 12-man roster..
PG- Chris Paul, Deron Williams
SG- Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, James Harden
SF- LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony
PF- Chris Bosh, Blake Griffin,
C- Anthony Davis, Tyson Chandler

Starting 5...
PG- Deron Williams
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Chris Bosh
C- Anthony Davis

sbxxxiichamps
06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
We should win regardless of whether or not our elite NBA players are out there or not imo.

Yakka27
06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Bosh and D-Wade are out.

Bernie24
06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm biased as a Celtics fan

that being said I say Rondo over Deron

ERoyal248
06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I'd do this as a Starting Five..

PG- Paul
SG- Kobe
SF- Durant
PF- LeBron
C- Chandler

USA should win again, loaded team.

With Deron, Westbrook, Harden, Love, Davis, Melo, and Gay as backups. Can also use LeBron as the 4 if need be. They could make due with only 3 bigs imo.

Amari24
06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm biased as a Celtics fan

that being said I say Rondo over Deron

Rondo wasn't even considered for the final roster. Deron Williams is far better than Rondo, anyways.

Hoserman117
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Rondo wasn't even considered for the final roster. Deron Williams is far better than Rondo, anyways.

Definitely wouldn't say 'far better'. Deron is a better scorer/shooter, Rondo has him at least tied as a passer, but is a better rebounder and defender.

It's close, and I'd probably take Deron, but he isn't far better than Rondo IMO.

CaribouRanch
07-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Final USA Men's and Women's National Teams will be announced by Jerry Colangelo on Saturday.

http://www.usabasketball.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_basketball_team

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I think Kobe is making a bad decision. He should let his body rest at his age, but I guess it's not my place to judge his priorities. I just hope he's silly enough to think his body isn't affected by his age, ie. he's taking a big risk.

Amari24
07-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I think Kobe is making a bad decision. He should let his body rest at his age, but I guess it's not my place to judge his priorities. I just hope he's silly enough to think his body isn't affected by his age, ie. he's taking a big risk.

Exactly. That's why I think Kobe HAS decided to play. He knows he's getting old and dinged up, but this could very well be his last time playing for Team USA. It's better to give it a go now then to regret it 2-3 years from now when he's just not physically able to perform at a high level.

I think both Wade and Bosh know they have at least one more olympic game in them so they aren't taking the chance right now. Kobe, however, knows there's a chance he doesn't make it to 2016.

Yakka27
07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Definitely wouldn't say 'far better'. Deron is a better scorer/shooter, Rondo has him at least tied as a passer, but is a better rebounder and defender.

It's close, and I'd probably take Deron, but he isn't far better than Rondo IMO.

for team USA Deron Williams is the last guy I want taking over 10 shots. That team doesn't need a PG who is a scorer, Rondo would be a better PG for an Olympic team IMO.

Amari24
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
for team USA Deron Williams is the last guy I want taking over 10 shots. That team doesn't need a PG who is a scorer, Rondo would be a better PG for an Olympic team IMO.

Did you even watch the 2008 Olympics? Deron Williams ran the floor very well and was able to create good looks. He barely took any shots, and when he did, he was able to knock them down. Same goes for Chris Paul and Jason Kidd.

When would any PG need to take 10 shots a game on a team with Kobe, Durant, and LeBron? Besides, if there ever comes a point where Kobe, Durant, or LeBron are struggling to make shots, Deron has proven that he can make them. Rondo is a terrible scorer so he doesn't help in that regard.

There's a reason why Coach K (arguably the best coach in history) wanted Williams and not Rondo (who didn't even get an invite). Sure, Rondo's a better rebounder and defender, but as you saw in 2008 (or didn't based on your post), that's not needed at the PG position when you're on Team USA.

Bernie24
07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
James Harden? Russell Westbrook?

Yeaaaaaaah idk about that.

ERoyal248
07-09-2012, 07:29 AM
James Harden? Russell Westbrook?

Yeaaaaaaah idk about that.

Who would you put over them.

Eric Gordon?

Both are good fits on that team.

Coach K spoke very highly of Westbrook.