PDA

View Full Version : [Rockies] The Trade Deadline Thread

The Experience
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
What type of trades should the Rockies make? I think it's obvious that we will be sellers. IMO the deal to make is is get Gaby Sanchez from Miami. He is a very good player, having a very rough year. It is obvious that a change of scenery is necessary. He would be our 1B going forward past this year. He has a good bat and is solid defensively. He is still just 28 years old.

The Marlins just got Carlos Lee and optioned Sanchez. This will make him available. I think he can be had for Betancourt, who I think we should trade at the deadline anyway.

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
If we trade Betancourt, who will our closer be? No to that.

I wouldn't mind trading Fowler for some pitching help. Some teams would love to have a versitile OF like him. This would also let Colvin start.

As for Sanchez, I don't know if we should replace Helton permenantly. But if first base was a huge hole in the lineup, I would agree.

I still also believe we should make that deal with Toronto and get that 1B for Guthrie, but O'Dowd is too much of a fool to do that :sad:

getlynched47
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Trade Jim Tracy for a ham sandwich.

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Do you guys have a young catcher or catching prospect?

CinnaMunMun
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I say trade Guthrie, EYjr, Giambi, Scutaro, and maybe Colvin if a team is willing to overpay (Wandy Rodriguez?)

Cuddyer will be moving to 1B when Helton retires, possibly next year. That opens an OF spot as well for Colvin/Wheeler/Blackmon.

Betancourt can move to setup if Brothers can step up,

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
How about the Cubs trade you a combo of: Dempster, Garza, and Soriano for prospects? The last trade we did worked out for both teams

InsaneBlaze23
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Carlos Gonzales for Ryan Raburn and Daniel Schlereth.(Schlereth is for free, I'd like it if Mark Schlereth son plays for a Colorado team)
No I'm not being serious.

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Come on, trade with the Cubs :)

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Carlos Gonzales for Ryan Raburn and Daniel Schlereth.(Schlereth is for free, I'd like it if Mark Schlereth son plays for a Colorado team)
No I'm not being serious.

Give us Verlander then :D

Come on, trade with the Cubs :)

We would be happy to take another good player from ya. We're liking Colvin. How's Ian Stewart working for ya? :)

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM

We would be happy to take another good player from ya. We're liking Colvin. How's Ian Stewart working for ya? :)

He was ok, but by moving Colvin, Lahair has had a chance to play and now he's an All-Star. If they hadn't traded him, who knows if we'd have an All-Star OF

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
He was ok, but by moving Colvin, Lahair has had a chance to play and now he's an All-Star. If they hadn't traded him, who knows if we'd have an All-Star OF

Well Colvin hasn't been an everyday starter, but has played REALLY well when he does. Besides, they've used LaHair as a 1B, correct? Even if they still wanted to trade Colvin, they could've done better than get Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers. (Who I believe will never make it to the majors.)

InsaneBlaze23
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM

You want Verlander? You'd have to give us your entire team.

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Well Colvin hasn't been an everyday starter, but has played REALLY well when he does. Besides, they've used LaHair as a 1B, correct? Even if they still wanted to trade Colvin, they could've done better than get Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers. (Who I believe will never make it to the majors.)

They only used him as a 1B for a little over a month. I trust Theo's judgment in trades

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 02:51 PM
They only used him as a 1B for a little over a month. I trust Theo's judgment in trades

Well they have been looking to trade LaHair... But I will give him credit for being able to trade Zambrano.

Broncoholic3233
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
As long as we don't trade any of our big league talent right now.

Aside from pitchers.

ONLY trade for fireballers, a good 2nd base prospect or 1st base. And we'll still end up making a huge mistake more than likely.

HUMCALC
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Well they have been looking to trade LaHair... But I will give him credit for being able to trade Zambrano.

LaHair won't be traded, unless it's too good to be true

CinnaMunMun
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
You want Verlander? You'd have to give us your entire team.

We will give you Francis. ;)

InsaneBlaze23
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
We will give you Francis. ;)

The entire team.

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 08:49 PM
The entire team.

Whole team except for Tulo, Cargo, and Rosario?

InsaneBlaze23
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Whole team except for Tulo, Cargo, and Rosario?

Entire team except Cargo, I'm just being nice with leaving Cargo.

Atwnbroncfan
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
When your 31-51, the entire team should be on the block.

BroncoFanBoy
07-05-2012, 11:58 PM
When your 31-51, the entire team should be on the block.

Our problem is that we have had too many rookie/young pitchers in the rotation. Pomeranz, Fredrich, White, Chatwood. Our other problem is that Guthrie is not a pitcher suited for Coors Field, and we shouldn't have picked up Moyer. If we had a decent rotation, this team would be in the hunt for the division. The lineup is outstanding! Even with Tulo hurt.

Francis has been a good addition, if you ask me, but he can't do it alone. We also should've signed Mark Buehrle instead of Michael Cuddyer. He's a good hitter, but right field wasn't a big need. Mark would've been a good addition. Pitching in the windy city of Chicago isn't easy, and he's a good groundball pitcher.

Atwnbroncfan
07-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Our problem is that we have had too many rookie/young pitchers in the rotation. Pomeranz, Fredrich, White, Chatwood. Our other problem is that Guthrie is not a pitcher suited for Coors Field, and we shouldn't have picked up Moyer. If we had a decent rotation, this team would be in the hunt for the division. The lineup is outstanding! Even with Tulo hurt.

Francis has been a good addition, if you ask me, but he can't do it alone. We also should've signed Mark Buehrle instead of Michael Cuddyer. He's a good hitter, but right field wasn't a big need. Mark would've been a good addition. Pitching in the windy city of Chicago isn't easy, and he's a good groundball pitcher.

How many more years are Rockies fans going to use this argument? A lot until O'Dowd and his scouting department are gone. Of course pitchers look good in A-AAA but Rockies never have a plan of action to bring kids along. They look good for 1-2 weeks in the minors then anoint them the next savior and bring them up before their ready. All you mentioned above aernt being along properly except maybe Pomeranz.

But usually we totally flat out miss on talent. The MLB draft is always a crap shoot, but look at Matzek from the 2009 MLB draft. Every analyst out there said he had talent but wasn't worth the risk because his accuracy and mechanics were so bad. We took the risk on the kid and got burnt bad.

Also a big factor no one is mentioning to our pitching woes is the fact that Hernandez went out. Yea he didn't bring much of a bat but his defense is what we need for these pitchers. Young pitchers with a young offensive minded catcher gets you that 31-51 record.

BroncoFanBoy
07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
How many more years are Rockies fans going to use this argument? A lot until O'Dowd and his scouting department are gone. Of course pitchers look good in A-AAA but Rockies never have a plan of action to bring kids along. They look good for 1-2 weeks in the minors then anoint them the next savior and bring them up before their ready. All you mentioned above aernt being along properly except maybe Pomeranz.

But usually we totally flat out miss on talent. The MLB draft is always a crap shoot, but look at Matzek from the 2009 MLB draft. Every analyst out there said he had talent but wasn't worth the risk because his accuracy and mechanics were so bad. We took the risk on the kid and got burnt bad.

Also a big factor no one is mentioning to our pitching woes is the fact that Hernandez went out. Yea he didn't bring much of a bat but his defense is what we need for these pitchers. Young pitchers with a young offensive minded catcher gets you that 31-51 record.

We do need to draft better when it comes to pitching too. We could've had Jered Weaver in 04. We took Chris Nelson. We could've had Cole Hamels in 2002. We took Francis. Granted, Francis has had some success here but I would still take Cole Hamels. We could have had Clayton Kershaw in 2006. We took Greg Reynolds.

InsaneBlaze23
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
We do need to draft better when it comes to pitching too. We could've had Jered Weaver in 04. We took Chris Nelson. We could've had Cole Hamels in 2002. We took Francis. Granted, Francis has had some success here but I would still take Cole Hamels. We could have had Clayton Kershaw in 2006. We took Greg Reynolds.

Eh, that can apply to all sports and all teams that had a current star on the board when they was drafting. Just like how Denver could have had Orakpo or Crushing or Matthews. Just like how any Hockey team could have had Henrik Zetterberg. Sometimes teams try to hard to stick to their draft boards that they forget that a player like Hamels or Weaver is still on the board. Sometimes team scouts are just as wrong as an every day fan on a forum.

BroncoFanBoy
07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Eh, that can apply to all sports and all teams that had a current star on the board when they was drafting. Just like how Denver could have had Orakpo or Crushing or Matthews. Just like how any Hockey team could have had Henrik Zetterberg. Sometimes teams try to hard to stick to their draft boards that they forget that a player like Hamels or Weaver is still on the board. Sometimes team scouts are just as wrong as an every day fan on a forum.

No guarantee they forgot about guys like Weaver or Hamels, but they have to be kicking themselves right now for not taking the good players.

The MLB draft can help a team be good. Look at the Angels. Sure, they have a lot of money, but they drafted Weaver, Trout, and Trumbo.

InsaneBlaze23
07-14-2012, 02:26 PM
No guarantee they forgot about guys like Weaver or Hamels, but they have to be kicking themselves right now for not taking the good players.

The MLB draft can help a team be good. Look at the Angels. Sure, they have a lot of money, but they drafted Weaver, Trout, and Trumbo.

As of right now, it looks like the Angels did good drafting. But it's the 2nd and 3rd year that tells what you really have. A lot of rookies in sports look really good, then fall flat later. Not saying that Trumbo or Trout are one hit wonders, but it's also not a guarantee that they will be this good after this season.

The Angels didn't even need Pujols if Trumbo and Trout continues to pay off. Weaver is an ace and will always be one barring injury.

SoundsOfSuccess
07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
You can have Vernon Wells.

BroncoFanBoy
07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
As of right now, it looks like the Angels did good drafting. But it's the 2nd and 3rd year that tells what you really have. A lot of rookies in sports look really good, then fall flat later. Not saying that Trumbo or Trout are one hit wonders, but it's also not a guarantee that they will be this good after this season.

The Angels didn't even need Pujols if Trumbo and Trout continues to pay off. Weaver is an ace and will always be one barring injury.

I'm sure Trout and Trumbo can remain good players, but even if they are one hits, it still beats the Rockies' drafting. Our only good pick was Tulowitzki in 2005, (with O'Dowd as GM) but everyone knew he would be good.

Broncoholic3233
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Trade Tulo.

Keep Rutledge. He's obviously gonna hit .1000 for the majority of his career. And can play defense.

InsaneBlaze23
07-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Trade Tulo.

Keep Rutledge. He's obviously gonna hit .1000 for the majority of his career. And can play defense.

Max Scherzer, Andrew Oliver, and draft pick for Tulo.

BroncoFanBoy
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Trade Tulo.

Broncoholic3233 for GM!!!

Broncoholic3233
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Broncoholic3233 for GM!!!

Obviously :)

He had a slight hiccup today, and will now only hit .999.....but still.

Atwnbroncfan
07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Trade Tulo.

I'd rather not have a short stop that has a lower avg than many pitchers do but that's just me.

:laugh:

Broncoholic3233
07-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd rather not have a short stop that has a lower avg than many pitchers do but that's just me.

:laugh:

Yes. I misplaced the decimal.

:(