PDA

View Full Version : Broncos showing interest in Larry Lumpkin

one5beast
07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
The league’s 2012 Supplemental Draft will be held on Tuesday and eight players are eligible to be selected. *One of the prospects in the draft is former Alabama A&M linebacker Larry Lumpkin, who was ruled*ineligibly for the 2012 college football season.

The draft gives players often labeled as character-flawed a chance to*rectify*their football careers. *Players who were unable to*petition*the league for early entry into the NFL Draft and find*themselves*ineligible*for their upcoming college season may enter the Supplemental Draft as underclassmen.

Players are rarely selected in the draft however as teams are wary of players who, for whatever reasons, were not held in high*regard by their college coaches. *After the Supplemental Draft order is finalized, teams wishing to select a player submit the name of the player and round they want to select him in to the league. *The team that bids that highest round pick is awarded the player bid on and that selection is forfeited from the team’s*corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

And if your still reading, yes, this is all relevant to the Denver Broncos. Because the team has reportedly shown interest in one of the players eligible for the draft.

Team scouts representing the Broncos have been talking with Alabama A&M Offensive Coordinator*Cedric Pearl, who serves as A&M’s NFL*liaison, about Lumpkin and are seeking information on his background.

“They’re interested in Larry,” Pearl told Reggie Benson of The Huntsville Times. “They’ve seen him on film. They know what he can do. They’re trying to get information on his background.”

Lumpkin spent two seasons at A&M before transferring to Carson-Newman College after the 2010* season. *Measuring up and weighing in at**6-0, 234 pounds, Lumpkin was a high school star and led*the Carson-Newman with a team-high 94 tackles, including 62 solos, and also had 10 tackles for loss enroute to earning All-South Atlantic Conference first-team honors last season.

His talent on the field was undeniable, but Lumpkin struggled with off-the-field problems.

“Larry was a playmaker for us, but he had a lot of issues,” A&M’s inside linebackers Coach*Jay Martin*said. “He was constantly late for meetings and he would miss practice at least one day a week. *He was very undisciplined. He would have helped us, but he didn’t want to be here.”

That’s likely not what the Broncos wanted to hear. *But if the team is willing to take a chance on his character concerns, they could benefit from his*athletic*abilities.

It seems unlikely that the Broncos would use a future draft selection on such a high-risk-moderate-reward prospect, but they have shown interest. *The Supplemental Draft will be held on Tuesday, July 12th at 1 p.m. (ET).

http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/38938/broncos-buzz/broncos-interested-in-unique-draft-prospect/

I doubt we take him. But just thought I'd share this

Comeaux 43
07-08-2012, 03:57 PM
would never take the kid. he acted like that without a pay check... imagine what he will be like with a big paycheck.

Kansas Bob
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't think an Elway led team would ever spend a draft choice on someone like him BUT it wouldn't surprise me if they signed him as a FA after the draft and bring him to camp on a "show me" contract if they have any questions about their line backing core!

Pruke
07-09-2012, 05:18 AM
DJWilliams ripple effects?

BroncoSexyDaddy
07-10-2012, 07:11 AM
http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/38938/broncos-buzz/broncos-interested-in-unique-draft-prospect/

I doubt we take him. But just thought I'd share thisI think its a strong possibility if we are showing interest in him.If he slip past the other teams he may be a bronco. DJ Williams may be on his way out if it happens!

flosstein
07-10-2012, 07:30 AM
I think its a strong possibility if we are showing interest in him.If he slip past the other teams he may be a bronco. DJ Williams may be on his way out if it happens!

:coffee:

next link down on Bronco Talk Front page..........http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/38742/broncos-blog/stats-and-film-suggest-d-j-williams-is-just-fine/

broncolee
07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
If they can get him as free agent, it might be worth the risk.

moto4669
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Anyone notice the date is wrong??

Broncos2024
07-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I am not really sure how the supplemental draft works but why not give up a 7th round pick for a guy who has the ability just has some character concerns. You are usually not hitting on draftees in the 7th anyway so I'd rather offer a 7th than risk not getting him as a Free agent.

MegaOrange
07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
New to the board, posted mostly on ESPN but that board is awful now.

Anyway, I think our LB's are weak. Von has huge potential but still has a lot to prove. We've always been told DJ is good but I've never been that impressed. He's a solid starter but nothing more. After that while some of the fillins are sentimental favorites I don't think they are solid. So, with a veteran team, with veteran leadership I would be okay if they gave this kid a chance. He'll cost next to nothing and if it doesn't work out we're no worse for the wear.

Iron Clady
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I think its a strong possibility if we are showing interest in him.If he slip past the other teams he may be a bronco. DJ Williams may be on his way out if it happens!

I don't know if this is the type of person we want replacing D.J....

Remedy
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
New to the board, posted mostly on ESPN but that board is awful now.

Anyway, I think our LB's are weak. Von has huge potential but still has a lot to prove. We've always been told DJ is good but I've never been that impressed. He's a solid starter but nothing more. After that while some of the fillins are sentimental favorites I don't think they are solid. So, with a veteran team, with veteran leadership I would be okay if they gave this kid a chance. He'll cost next to nothing and if it doesn't work out we're no worse for the wear.

Welcome a-board(get it? haha)

good post, I wouldnt mind us taking a chance on the kid... plus I like his name.. "Larry is gonna lay a Lumpkin on that guy" that being said, Elway seems to steer clear of those with character concerns so I don't know.

Broncos2024
07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome a-board(get it? haha)

good post, I wouldnt mind us taking a chance on the kid... plus I like his name.. "Larry is gonna lay a Lumpkin on that guy" that being said, Elway seems to steer clear of those with character concerns so I don't know.

Is it possible that he wanted to go for the leaders or good character guys to build a strong team then take chances on character guys once he had that good foundation in place. You never want a bunch of bad character guys in one spot (see lions).

Remedy
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Is it possible that he wanted to go for the leaders or good character guys to build a strong team then take chances on character guys once he had that good foundation in place. You never want a bunch of bad character guys in one spot (see lions).

It's very possible.. I won't claim to know what he is thinking and he hasn't been here long enough to say one way or another. I am all for taking a chance on someone, especially if the FO feels we have the leadership in place to reign in a young man who has some issues like Lumpkin does.

MegaOrange
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome

It would be out of character for Elway. I was suprised to see that we were one of the teams showing interest. We've been going for team captains in our recent drafts. Maybe they want to test that leadership with a gamble.

The name is classic. "Lumpkin the Pumpkin in the middle of the Orange Crush defense"

Remedy
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome

It would be out of character for Elway. I was suprised to see that we were one of the teams showing interest. We've been going for team captains in our recent drafts. Maybe they want to test that leadership with a gamble.

The name is classic. "Lumpkin the Pumpkin in the middle of the Orange Crush defense"

The pumpkin... makes me think of some sort of bright orange spray on tan from jersey shore... but I digress..

I find we do have some rather strong leaders around the team right now so it might be worth it.. especially with djs pending suspension.

broncolee
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
It's very possible.. I won't claim to know what he is thinking and he hasn't been here long enough to say one way or another. I am all for taking a chance on someone, especially if the FO feels we have the leadership in place to reign in a young man who has some issues like Lumpkin does.

I think you were on the right track before.

While it might be fine to take a chance on some guys with character issues, I don't think you give up a pick for a guy like Lumpkin. If he has a sense of entitlement without money, he's only going to get worse with money.

At best, a team should only take a chance on him as an undrafted player.

MegaOrange
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
The pumpkin... makes me think of some sort of bright orange spray on tan from jersey shore... but I digress..

I find we do have some rather strong leaders around the team right now so it might be worth it.. especially with djs pending suspension.

Ugh, DJ. This guy isn't looking to bright. What is he thinking and who is this guy listening to? He had the DUI looming, then has the posi test. You would think he would pull back and start acting contrite. Instead he tries to sue the NFL for the posi and that blows up in his face. His second DUI is on the horizon and I can't see that going well. We could lose him for 10 games. All this is worth the trouble if he's got some tread left and is dominant, you might try to work with that and get him on track, but he's supposed to be a leader not a headache. He's aged and IMO was never dominant, just solid. Leads me to believe our LB corps is pretty weak overall otherwise why bother with this.

Lumpkin sounds like trouble but give him a shot, he's young and maybe a reality check has happened for him. DJ is supposed to be a veteran leader that understand reality and yet he's pulling a Lumpkin.

MegaOrange
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
How does this work anyway, just whomever gives the highest pick for him? I certainly wouldn't get in a bidding war for him. Hopefully he scares everyone off and we get him for nothing.

I'll agree money may make him worse, but he'll have so many clauses in his contract that he won't be able to cut an SBD without someone knowing about it and cutting him. This isn't like some first rounder you have to sign for so many years and tolerate their immaturity. This kid is coming in treading water, sink or swim.

BroncoSexyDaddy
07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
The name is classic."Lumpkin the Pumpkin in the middle of the Orange Crush defense"Funny stuff,CP Forthcoming :laugh:

jlhawkins9
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
So is he free to sign with anyone?

BANJOPICKER1
07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Lumpkin sounds like a person Jim Carrey would play in a movie..Almost like the name of the guy he played in he Mask.:D

course that name was Lpkiss.. LOL

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!:goz:

tacmale
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome

Lets at least hope if we do give him a try, he doesn't become Lumpkin the Bumpkin. :D:

ramanboy33
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
So is he free to sign with anyone?

Yep. He's just a street free agent right now.

Peyton&Eli_fan
07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Lumpkin just signed with the Colts

IABronco05
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Funny stuff,CP Forthcoming :laugh:

It'd be even better if his name was Barry or something that started with a B.

Then it'd be B. Lumpkin...........