PDA

View Full Version : British Open

CanDB
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Not the usual British Open so far......calm winds / sun / green grass!!! But I hear that the final round will be quite windy, which translates to normal comditions, and will make the course very tough. Those abundant, scary bunkers, and unforgiving roughs will be more in play if the weather has a say.

Adam Scott is playing great golf! I also believe that McDowell is gaining momentum, and is no stranger to Majors.

Tiger would have loved to be in the final group I'm sure (as would the media, especially with his ex caddy supporting Scott), but he is definitely lurking. If he doesn't win, I believe many will question his conservative strategy....up until today anyway.....given that the weather was ok. Too many times he turned potential short second shots into longer irons, because he wasn't getting distance off the tee. And although the strategy has merit, he may have left it too late to make a statement. You have to get close, because these greens are subtle.

I never bet against Tiger, but he's going to have to bring out the big stick more often tomorrow, and with the expected windy conditions it will be a challenge.......as it will be for all others. Scott does have the advantage of not having to get risky, until someone gets close, and that is an enviable place to be. But the dude likes the driver, so it should get fun!

ERoyal248
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Basically depends on the weather, but it's hard to bet against Scott right now. He's played pretty flawless golf so far.

McDowell is an amazing bad weather player, i think he'll make it tough on Scott. Tiger has stuck to his gameplan but at some point he HAS to get aggressive, he's already 5 back. Gotta take some chances on these greens.

Weather will determine what happens also, supposed to be very bad conditions tommorow.

I'd be very, very surprised if it's not one of Scott, McDowell, Snedeker, Tiger, Els or Johnson who wins. Everyone else is too far back imo.

CanDB
07-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Basically depends on the weather, but it's hard to bet against Scott right now. He's played pretty flawless golf so far.

McDowell is an amazing bad weather player, i think he'll make it tough on Scott. Tiger has stuck to his gameplan but at some point he HAS to get aggressive, he's already 5 back. Gotta take some chances on these greens.

Weather will determine what happens also, supposed to be very bad conditions tommorow.

I'd be very, very surprised if it's not one of Scott, McDowell, Snedeker, Tiger, Els or Johnson who wins. Everyone else is too far back imo.

I agree with you, especially about McDowell and bad weather. At some point about 3/4s of the way today, I got a sense that he was charging, if you can call it that. But he looks very comfortable with the situation, and his game looks really good.

I like Scott, and would love to see him win a major. If he keeps driving like he has, I don't think anyone will catch him.I also believe old Stevie will be a big help when the pressure is on.

ERoyal248
07-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree with you, especially about McDowell and bad weather. At some point about 3/4s of the way today, I got a sense that he was charging, if you can call it that. But he looks very comfortable with the situation, and his game looks really good.

I like Scott, and would love to see him win a major. If he keeps driving like he has, I don't think anyone will catch him.I also believe old Stevie will be a big help when the pressure is on.

Yeah, McDowell is steady and streaky, guy can play.

On Scott, i agree, luckily he has a 4 stroke cushion but if the weather gets bad, and he stumbles a little bit, it's wide open. But i do think he'll get it done tommorow but we will see.

If the weather gets bad, that changes the whole tournament.

ERoyal248
07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Omg, Scott imploding........

Has to chip out and make a tough par putt to force a playoff.

CanDB
07-22-2012, 10:50 AM
I feel very badly for Scott. He had every right to win, and just got a little unlucky at the end.....while Els made a solid comeback. Els is also a class act, and I hope people don't get on Scott, rather give Ernie credit for playing so well at the end.

I sure was hoping that Scott made that last putt, to at least give him a playoff opportunity. That would have been fitting I think.

As for Tiger.......his strategy makes little sense now, unless his driver was an issue. He might be hurt again....who knows. He'll remember that triple for a while.

ERoyal248
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I feel very badly for Scott. He had every right to win, and just got a little unlucky at the end.....while Els made a solid comeback. Els is also a class act, and I hope people don't get on Scott, rather give Ernie credit for playing so well at the end.

I sure was hoping that Scott made that last putt, to at least give him a playoff opportunity. That would have been fitting I think.

As for Tiger.......his strategy makes little sense now, unless his driver was an issue. He might be hurt again....who knows. He'll remember that triple for a while.

Well, up 4 with 4 to go, people will remember that more then what Els did.

I don't think his strategy was all that bad, the field DID come back to him. He's healthy, but his driver is the weak link of his game.

And yeah, that triple especially on that hole was a killer. But he had his chances, missed a ton of par putts he usually makes. I do think he had a better shot at the PGA over the British but he could of very easily stolen this tournament.