PDA

View Full Version : Earl Bennett has lost his mind.

ERoyal248
07-25-2012, 09:58 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/bl....-aaron-rodgers/

Here’s what Bennett told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon today on SiriusXM NFL Radio: “We have the top running back arguably in the league, top quarterback, the receiving corps is deep.”

Schien, perhaps picking his jaw off the floor, followed up with this: “So you think Cutler is better than Aaron Rodgers?”

Replied Bennett: “Of course.”

Remedy
07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Ridiculousness of the AR statement aside...

and the receiving corps is deep?

InElwayWeTrust
07-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Ridiculousness of the AR statement aside...

and the receiving corps is deep?

If he says they is deep...

Then they is deep...

Don't question it. :mad:

:laugh:

Den615
07-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Ehh I don't think this is a big deal. Bennett has known Cutler since their Vanderbilt days, I wouldnt expect him to say anything else really.

Doesn't change the fact that he is wrong on everything except maybe Forte (he is a top 5 back)

Remedy
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Ehh I don't think this is a big deal. Bennett has known Cutler since their Vanderbilt days, I wouldnt expect him to say anything else really.

Doesn't change the fact that he is wrong on everything except maybe Forte (he is a top 5 back)

Oh not a big deal at all.. Hilarious ;) but not a big deal.

Den615
07-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Oh not a big deal at all.. Hilarious ;) but not a big deal.

Very hilarious :laugh:

I just hope Marshall doesn't get jealous of the bro-mance between Bennett and Cutler...that could get very ugly haha

bears6385
07-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Here’s what Bennett told Adam Schein and Rich Gannon today on SiriusXM NFL Radio: “We have the top running back arguably in the league, top quarterback, the receiving corps is deep.”

Schien, perhaps picking his jaw off the floor, followed up with this: “So you think Cutler is better than Aaron Rodgers?”

Replied Bennett: “Of course.”Standing up for his QB and his team..........go figure.

Da Swerski
07-28-2012, 02:15 AM

Replied Bennett: “Of course.”
I don't think he's lost his mind. I can support everything but the Cutler comment.

Forte is a top 5 running back. Any time you have a player in the Top 5 other people on the team will say he's the best. Obviously Forte isn't the best back in the league, but he's capable of being that. A better statement would be best run game in the league. Because how many of the other teams with good running backs have a high quality backup like Michael Bush?

Cutler obviously isn't one of the Top 5 QB's, but has the talent to be. This was the biggest reach of any of his statements. Considering their upgrades on offense. I won't be shocked if Cutler is a Top 5 QB after this year.

The Bears do have a deep receiving core. Brandon Marshall is an elite receiver. Their 2nd round pick Alshon Jeffery was graded out as having the best hands in the draft by some scouts. I don't know how he'll be as a rookie, but a 6'3" receiver with great hands isn't a terrible thing.

While guys like Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox, and Devin Hester struggle when going against a teams top two corners. How good will those guys be going against nickel backs with a team's best corners now on Marshall and Jeffery? Dane Sanzenbacher did decent last year (anyone remember how much John Gruden loves him?) and might not even make the team this year. Eric Weems will be a role player on this offense as well.

Basically the Bears 6th receiver will be Sanzenbacher or Devin Thomas (on Giants last year). I'd consider the Bears deep at receiver because no one is terrible. They aren't insanely deep like say the Packers or Giants. The Packers in particular basically are just stacked with starter quality receivers. They are more the exception than the standard. Packers and Giants receiving core look like year 10 of a Madden franchise. Jennings, Driver, Nelson, James Jones, and Randall Cobb? Just not fair.

dizzolve
07-28-2012, 06:20 AM
My NFC North prediciton

1 Detroit
2 Green Bay
3 Chicago
4 Minn

Green Bay and Detroit have equal chances of taking the division but I'll give DET the nod. Then there is a big drop off in the odds for the other 2 teams. Bennett is just towing the company line.

I expect with Knoxx hurt Brandon Marshall will have some good numbers this year but the success of Chi's offense will fall largely on the shoulders of the OL. Will they let Cuttles get beat down again?

InsaneBlaze23
07-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Cutler is to Aaron Rodgers as Van Pelt is to Elway.

Packers have the deepest corp of wide outs in that division. I'll give them the best RB corp in the NFC north. Green Bay virtually doesn't have a RB, Detroit has decent backs, and Minny has 1 back.

Green Bay still will win that division by 4-5 games.

ERoyal248
07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't think he's lost his mind. I can support everything but the Cutler comment.

Forte is a top 5 running back. Any time you have a player in the Top 5 other people on the team will say he's the best. Obviously Forte isn't the best back in the league, but he's capable of being that. A better statement would be best run game in the league. Because how many of the other teams with good running backs have a high quality backup like Michael Bush?

Cutler obviously isn't one of the Top 5 QB's, but has the talent to be. This was the biggest reach of any of his statements. Considering their upgrades on offense. I won't be shocked if Cutler is a Top 5 QB after this year.

The Bears do have a deep receiving core. Brandon Marshall is an elite receiver. Their 2nd round pick Alshon Jeffery was graded out as having the best hands in the draft by some scouts. I don't know how he'll be as a rookie, but a 6'3" receiver with great hands isn't a terrible thing.

They do have the best running game in the North, especially with Bush too.

As for Cutler, as a Top 5 QB, maybe might have a Top 5 QB season but i don't think he'll be in that mix after this year unless he won the SB. Even then i wouldn't put him ahead of Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton (provided healthy) or even Eli/Rivers/Big Ben.

And yeah, this is probably the most talent he'd had around him on offense.

Glad football is back though :salute:

bears6385
07-28-2012, 12:55 PM
My NFC North prediciton

1 Detroit
2 Green Bay
3 Chicago
4 Minn

Green Bay and Detroit have equal chances of taking the division but I'll give DET the nod. Then there is a big drop off in the odds for the other 2 teams. Bennett is just towing the company line.

I expect with Knoxx hurt Brandon Marshall will have some good numbers this year but the success of Chi's offense will fall largely on the shoulders of the OL. Will they let Cuttles get beat down again?Detroit is the third best team in the NFCN. Running game and secondary suck.

At the time of Cutler's injury last year the OL was playing well, Cutler's sack pct. was 2.3, about the league average. At that time the Bears were also #6 in the league in scoring. That was also without Marshall, Bush or Jeffery.

AC1
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Cutler is to Aaron Rodgers as Van Pelt is to Elway.

Packers have the deepest corp of wide outs in that division. I'll give them the best RB corp in the NFC north. Green Bay virtually doesn't have a RB, Detroit has decent backs, and Minny has 1 back.

Green Bay still will win that division by 4-5 games.

The part in bold is the most ridiculous statement in that post. Rodgers isn't fit to carry Elway's jock.
As for his comparison with Cutler, don't forget Cutler was far and away the better QB in 2008. Since then Rodgers has had the luxury of staying in the same scheme (one that made Matt Flynn look like a star), while Cutler is on his third OC in four years.

A more apt comparison might be Ryan Clady and Jake Long. After 2008, Clady was viewed as the better LT, but Long stayed in the same scheme (until this year) and is regarded as a top-3 LT. Meanwhile, Clady has had three different O-line coaches from 2009-2011 and is considered over-rated outside of Denver (and among many Broncos fans too).

As their careers play out over the next few years, one hopes that Cutler and Clady get the coaching stability that allows them to showcase their talent. People will then see that they belong every bit in the same category as the relatively over-hyped (though still elite) Rodgers and Long.

As for the receivers, I agree. GB is easily the best WR corps (top to bottom) in the NFC North, if not the entire league. Compared to Chicago, Marshall and Jennings is a push, Nelson and Driver are better than Bennett and Hester. Even James Jones, the fourth WR for Green Bay would likely beat out Bennett and Hester to start on the Bears. Cobb and Jeffrey might be a push. Lastly, Finley is better than anyone the Bears have at TE.

AC1
07-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Detroit is the third best team in the NFCN. Running game and secondary suck.

At the time of Cutler's injury last year the OL was playing well, Cutler's sack pct. was 2.3, about the league average. At that time the Bears were also #6 in the league in scoring. That was also without Marshall, Bush or Jeffery.

I don't think Detroit winning the division is out of the realm of possibility. The key to the Lions' chances is not just the talent, but how young that talent is. Stafford played his first full season last year. He should get better (though I still expect him to be the third best QB in your division). Pettigrew and Scheffler are an excellent combo and will keep getting better. Between Best, Leshoure and Kevin Smith, the Lions will find a running game with defenses focused on Calvin Johnson.

On defense, Suh hit the sophomore slump and should rebound. The key to their defense will be the Suh-Fairley combo. Granted it's mostly potential with Fairley, but the ceiling there is high especially playing next to Suh, with Avril and Vanden Bosch on the outside. Their secondary is poor, but Schwartz has had good defenses in Tennessee with middling secondaries. With the kind of offense they have, playing defense in Detroit is going to be all about sacks and turnovers.

I think 1-3 in your division could shake out in any way. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Packers are getting too cocky for their own good and might find themselves in for a rude shock when the season begins and teams don't automatically lay down for them.

strat1080
08-02-2012, 09:22 AM
The part in bold is the most ridiculous statement in that post. Rodgers isn't fit to carry Elway's jock.
As for his comparison with Cutler, don't forget Cutler was far and away the better QB in 2008. Since then Rodgers has had the luxury of staying in the same scheme (one that made Matt Flynn look like a star), while Cutler is on his third OC in four years.

A more apt comparison might be Ryan Clady and Jake Long. After 2008, Clady was viewed as the better LT, but Long stayed in the same scheme (until this year) and is regarded as a top-3 LT. Meanwhile, Clady has had three different O-line coaches from 2009-2011 and is considered over-rated outside of Denver (and among many Broncos fans too).

As their careers play out over the next few years, one hopes that Cutler and Clady get the coaching stability that allows them to showcase their talent. People will then see that they belong every bit in the same category as the relatively over-hyped (though still elite) Rodgers and Long.

As for the receivers, I agree. GB is easily the best WR corps (top to bottom) in the NFC North, if not the entire league. Compared to Chicago, Marshall and Jennings is a push, Nelson and Driver are better than Bennett and Hester. Even James Jones, the fourth WR for Green Bay would likely beat out Bennett and Hester to start on the Bears. Cobb and Jeffrey might be a push. Lastly, Finley is better than anyone the Bears have at TE.

Rodgers clearly doesn't have the bodoy of work that Elway did but what Rodgers has done in his first four years as a starter is unmatched by any QB in NFL history. If Rodgers were to retire today, yes he wouldn't be considered in the same realm as Elway due to John's quality body of work. I think Rodgers will play at a quality level for another 6 years and will be a HOF QB when its all said and done.

The 2nd bolded statement is just a joke. Cutler was not better than Rodgers in 2008. The only thing Cutler did is throw almost 100 more passes than Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers threw for more TDs than Cutler despite way fewer pass attempts. He also averaged more yards per pass and had a better completion percentage than Cutler. Yards aren't everything dude. If they were Drew Brees would have won the MVP last year.

InsaneBlaze23
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Rodgers clearly doesn't have the bodoy of work that Elway did but what Rodgers has done in his first four years as a starter is unmatched by any QB in NFL history. If Rodgers were to retire today, yes he wouldn't be considered in the same realm as Elway due to John's quality body of work. I think Rodgers will play at a quality level for another 6 years and will be a HOF QB when its all said and done.

The 2nd bolded statement is just a joke. Cutler was not better than Rodgers in 2008. The only thing Cutler did is throw almost 100 more passes than Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers threw for more TDs than Cutler despite way fewer pass attempts. He also averaged more yards per pass and had a better completion percentage than Cutler. Yards aren't everything dude. If they were Drew Brees would have won the MVP last year.

Just to give some advice, it's pointless to go back and forth with him. He's probably the biggest non-Lions fan Aaron Rodgers hater.

All he does when the name Aaron Rodgers comes up and find some form of a way to bash him. Rodgers can't hold John's jock, that's the biggest insult I've ever read giving to a future first ballot hall of fame QB. Not even Skip Bayless could say something so disrespectful and stupid.

If Rodgers continues the current play he is doing for the rest of his career, he will go done as one of the best QB's in NFL history, probably top 5 at the most.

ERoyal248
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Just to give some advice, it's pointless to go back and forth with him. He's probably the biggest non-Lions fan Aaron Rodgers hater.

All he does when the name Aaron Rodgers comes up and find some form of a way to bash him. Rodgers can't hold John's jock, that's the biggest insult I've ever read giving to a future first ballot hall of fame QB. Not even Skip Bayless could say something so disrespectful and stupid.

If Rodgers continues the current play he is doing for the rest of his career, he will go done as one of the best QB's in NFL history, probably top 5 at the most.

Yup, i don't get the hate AC has for Rodgers.

- System QB, seriously?
- Loaded with weapons, where was Jordy Nelson before Rodgers?
- Blame him somewhat for the Cardinals loss when the D gave up 51 points!?!?
- Yes, their D was good during the SB run, but Rodgers was great during the playoffs.
- Rodgers is the hardest QB in the NFL to gameplan against. He can beat you with his arm, legs, and makes some throws look easy.
- And Rodgers was better then Cutler in 08, Cutler had 100 more passes IIRC.

I have no idea what AC has against Rodgers.

ERoyal248
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Rodgers in 08- 341 for 546, 63.6%, 4,038 yards, 28 TD's, 13 INT's, 93.8 QBR.

Cutler in 08- 384 for 616, 62.3%, 4,526 yards, 25 TD's, 18 INT's, 86.0 QBR.

So Cutler has a worse comp %, less TD's, more INT's, worse QBR, yet he had a better season in 08. Your hate for Rodgers is absolutely ridiculous.

And seriously with the Matt Flynn stuff, this is insane you even think this.

How was Cutler better in 08?

AC1
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Before the 2010 post-season, Rodgers was considered a good, not great QB. He has had a hot run since then, no doubt and has vaulted himself into the top 5 at the very least. If he plays the rest of his career the way he has played since the start of the 2010 post-season, he will be a HoFer. However, unless the team he is on declines drastically he will be more Troy Aikman or Steve Young rather than John Elway. Elway carried teams. The only current QB that merits a comparison to the former Broncos QB is the current Broncos QB. Not Rodgers, not Brady, not Brees.

As for your statements about the 2008 season, they're a nice mix of revisionist history and stat-mongering. Cutler carried that team. The only guys that played better that year were Manning, Warner and maybe Brees. Without Cutler, that team is maybe 4-12.

What's worse is that you've picked the most superficial, lazy stats and completely ignored what happened in those games. If you want to look at stats, look at the per-drive stats for 2008 at football outsiders. GB doesn't rank in the top 10 for any of the categories. We were in the top 10 in almost every category except turnovers and starting field position (you guessed it - worst in the league). Cutler's 2008 season was a whole heck of a lot more than stats.

Saying Rodgers was better than Cutler then is as stupid as saying Cutler is better than Rodgers now.

AC1
08-03-2012, 10:40 AM

I'll address your last paragraph first. If Rodgers continues to play the way he played since the start of the 2010 post-season, you're right - he will be highly regarded. But that hasn't been the entirety of his career. He's been in the league since 2005 and he's had one year of being the best QB in the league. I don't think it's automatic that what we saw in 2011 will be what we see from him for the rest of his career.

As for the first part, seriously?! I've said repeatedly that Rodgers is a top-5 QB and that's being a Rodgers-hater?!! We really do live in an intellectually-lazy age where the flavor of the season is the greatest of all time. It's like we're kids with ADD that can't remember back to what happened more than a season ago.

AC1
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Yup, i don't get the hate AC has for Rodgers.

- System QB, seriously?
- Loaded with weapons, where was Jordy Nelson before Rodgers?
- Blame him somewhat for the Cardinals loss when the D gave up 51 points!?!?
- Yes, their D was good during the SB run, but Rodgers was great during the playoffs.
- Rodgers is the hardest QB in the NFL to gameplan against. He can beat you with his arm, legs, and makes some throws look easy.
- And Rodgers was better then Cutler in 08, Cutler had 100 more passes IIRC.

I have no idea what AC has against Rodgers.

This is really getting ridiculous. Saying someone is a top-5 QB is hating against him? For a guy with one great season, you want to put him in the HoF tomorrow.

I didn't say he was a system QB. I said that is a question that needs to be asked. Especially when you see the way a scrub like Flynn was able to have ridiculous success in the same system.

Green Bay is loaded with weapons. If Rodgers made Jordy Nelson, why did it take him three years to break out? See Eddie Royal, Blair White, Marques Colston, These guys were all made by their QBs and had immediate impact. Who is to say that Jordy Nelson wouldn't go have success elsewhere? And are you suggesting Rodgers made Greg Jennings and Donald Driver too?

So you're saying Rodgers deserves no blame for losing a post-season game because his defense gave up 51 points, but Cutler was deemed not a winner despite having the worst defense in the league? I see a playoff game where the difference was one score and Rodgers had the ball with a chance to win the game and came up short. That's been his gig in close games.

Their D wasn't just good in the 2010 season, they were ranked second in the league. And yes Rodgers played well, especially against Atlanta. But shouldn't a surefire-HoFer be able to win a playoff game when his defense is not playing at an all-world level.

Finally, it's not only about gameplanning against Rodgers, who is very good no doubt. It's about gameplanning for how your the deepest WR corps in the league, as Detroit found out in week 17 last year.

As for Rodgers being better than Cutler in 08, that's a joke. See below.

Rodgers in 08- 341 for 546, 63.6%, 4,038 yards, 28 TD's, 13 INT's, 93.8 QBR.

Cutler in 08- 384 for 616, 62.3%, 4,526 yards, 25 TD's, 18 INT's, 86.0 QBR.

So Cutler has a worse comp %, less TD's, more INT's, worse QBR, yet he had a better season in 08. Your hate for Rodgers is absolutely ridiculous.

And seriously with the Matt Flynn stuff, this is insane you even think this.

How was Cutler better in 08?

Did you WATCH the 2008 season? Are you kidding me with this Rodgers nonsense? Cutler was easily the best young QB in the league at that point and Rodgers was barely in the conversation (Rivers and Rothlisberger came the closest). Other than Manning, no QB did more to protect his defense in 2008 (check the per-drive stats I linked earlier). Yet our defense gave up points like candy. And we were still a tie-breaker shy of the playoffs. Before you say backing into the playoffs doesn't mean that we would have done anything, look at the Packers of 2010.

ERoyal248
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
This is really getting ridiculous. Saying someone is a top-5 QB is hating against him? For a guy with one great season, you want to put him in the HoF tomorrow.

I didn't say he was a system QB. I said that is a question that needs to be asked. Especially when you see the way a scrub like Flynn was able to have ridiculous success in the same system.

Green Bay is loaded with weapons. If Rodgers made Jordy Nelson, why did it take him three years to break out? See Eddie Royal, Blair White, Marques Colston, These guys were all made by their QBs and had immediate impact. Who is to say that Jordy Nelson wouldn't go have success elsewhere? And are you suggesting Rodgers made Greg Jennings and Donald Driver too?

So you're saying Rodgers deserves no blame for losing a post-season game because his defense gave up 51 points, but Cutler was deemed not a winner despite having the worst defense in the league? I see a playoff game where the difference was one score and Rodgers had the ball with a chance to win the game and came up short. That's been his gig in close games.

Their D wasn't just good in the 2010 season, they were ranked second in the league. And yes Rodgers played well, especially against Atlanta. But shouldn't a surefire-HoFer be able to win a playoff game when his defense is not playing at an all-world level.

Finally, it's not only about gameplanning against Rodgers, who is very good no doubt. It's about gameplanning for how your the deepest WR corps in the league, as Detroit found out in week 17 last year.

As for Rodgers being better than Cutler in 08, that's a joke. See below.

Did you WATCH the 2008 season? Are you kidding me with this Rodgers nonsense? Cutler was easily the best young QB in the league at that point and Rodgers was barely in the conversation (Rivers and Rothlisberger came the closest). Other than Manning, no QB did more to protect his defense in 2008 (check the per-drive stats I linked earlier). Yet our defense gave up points like candy. And we were still a tie-breaker shy of the playoffs. Before you say backing into the playoffs doesn't mean that we would have done anything, look at the Packers of 2010.

- Never said he should be put in the HOF, but if he keeps playing well, he's on his way to the HOF.
- It's not a question that should be asked, you even thinking that is silly.
- No, i'm not, but ask Jennings/Driver what they think of him. They respect him with high regard. And the Packers weapons aren't near as good as you make them out to be. Only Finley/Jennings would be great anywhere else.
- NO blame, no, but hard to blame it on him when they gave up 51 points, and scored 45. I'm not math major, but that's not on your QB.
- Your D not playing well is one thing, maybe if they give up 25-30 points, but 45, that's TURRRIBLE. Not even Brady/Manning could overcome that.
- Rodgers was better then Cutler in 08, outside of passing yards, he was worse in every category. And the Packers OL/D wasn't great either that year either.
- Last, you have sometrhing against Rodgers, i don't know what it is.

PowderAddict
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Before the 2010 post-season, Rodgers was considered a good, not great QB. He has had a hot run since then, no doubt and has vaulted himself into the top 5 at the very least. If he plays the rest of his career the way he has played since the start of the 2010 post-season, he will be a HoFer. However, unless the team he is on declines drastically he will be more Troy Aikman or Steve Young rather than John Elway. Elway carried teams. The only current QB that merits a comparison to the former Broncos QB is the current Broncos QB. Not Rodgers, not Brady, not Brees.

As for your statements about the 2008 season, they're a nice mix of revisionist history and stat-mongering. Cutler carried that team. The only guys that played better that year were Manning, Warner and maybe Brees. Without Cutler, that team is maybe 4-12.

What's worse is that you've picked the most superficial, lazy stats and completely ignored what happened in those games. If you want to look at stats, look at the per-drive stats for 2008 at football outsiders. GB doesn't rank in the top 10 for any of the categories. We were in the top 10 in almost every category except turnovers and starting field position (you guessed it - worst in the league). Cutler's 2008 season was a whole heck of a lot more than stats.

Saying Rodgers was better than Cutler then is as stupid as saying Cutler is better than Rodgers now.

Cutler also leads the league in active QB's in redzone picks. But I guess those don't matter.

Rodgers was better than Cutler in 08, and is better than Cutler now.

InsaneBlaze23
08-04-2012, 11:08 AM
For your information, Rodgers didn't start in the NFL till 2008. He's been a good QB since 2008, not since 2010. 2010 is when he became an elite NFL QB.

Andyy_47
08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Why would a player belittle his teammate to the media? He's just playing PR with his own QB who happens to be the one throwing him the ball and just so happens to control his production this year.

Atwnbroncfan
08-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Rodgers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cutler. Cutler is probably top 10, but still doesn't have the "it" factor. Not sure how you can defend him entirely for the 2008 season. Obviously worst defense in the NFL. But 3rd in the league in passing yards, yet 15th in scoring? Obviously Cutler and his red zone INT machine were a major problem.

CanDB
08-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I was going to respond to the Rodgers / Cutler discussion.......but there really isn't a discussion is there?