PDA

View Full Version : Article on Browns two 1st Round Picks signing

Charlie Brown
07-26-2012, 02:20 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/47496/richardsons-toughness-bolsters-browns)

The Cleveland Browns completed the contract signings of their 2012 draft class when first-round picks Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden inked their deals on Monday and Tuesday.

Richardson gets a guaranteed $20.4 million over four years, which includes a $13.3 million signing bonus. Weeden's deal is fully guaranteed from 2012-14, and has more than $900,000 guaranteed in 2015.

The Browns traded up to get Richardson, who won the Doak Walker Award as college football's top running back in 2011, with the third pick.

Richardson rushed for 20 touchdowns last year at Alabama, setting the SEC record for most rushing scores by a running back. His 23 total touchdowns were also the second-most in school and SEC history.

Richardsonís toughness set him apart in college. He gained nearly 50 percent of his yards after contact in 2011 and rushed for over 1,750 yards between the tackles at Alabama.

Richardson should be the primary ball carrier this season for the Browns, who lost their top back Peyton Hillis in the offseason. Cleveland hopes he can bolster a ground attack that had just four rushing touchdowns last year, the fewest in the NFL, and averaged only 3.7 yards per rush, second-fewest in the league.

Weeden, the all-time passing leader at Oklahoma State, passed for 4,727 yards in 2011, ranking second in FBS.

He excelled in the red zone, throwing 24 touchdowns, tied for fourth-most in FBS, and just two interceptions inside the 20-yardline.

Because Weeden was able to sign the deal before training camp, he will have the best opportunity to win the starting quarterback job immediately. Colt McCoy was the starter last year, but he really struggled with a 39.8 QBR that ranked 25th out of 34 qualifying quarterbacks.

The Browns are hoping that Weeden can establish himself as a long-term solution behind center, something that Cleveland fans have not seen in many years. Since 1999, the Browns have had 16 different quarterbacks start at least one game, led by the 59 starts from Tim Couch between 1999 and 2003.

Charlie Brown
07-26-2012, 10:09 PM
This article is very flawed. McCoy had a 76 QBR last year. Maybe he had a 39.8 QBR in the redzone (possible) but he definately did not have that QBR overall, last year. I cannot stand the new QB and am not particularly fond of Richardson - especially all the "praise" going their way in the media.

BroncoFanBoy
07-26-2012, 10:27 PM
This article is very flawed. McCoy had a 76 QBR last year. Maybe he had a 39.8 QBR in the redzone (possible) but he definately did not have that QBR overall, last year. I cannot stand the new QB and am not particularly fond of Richardson - especially all the "praise" going their way in the media.

I guess you are not smoking WEEDen. Good, stay that way.

Charlie Brown
07-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I guess you are not smoking WEEDen. Good, stay that way.

Nope, none of that going on here.

one5beast
07-27-2012, 07:52 AM
did Browns have training camps yet? how did weeden look?

Charlie Brown
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
did Browns have training camps yet? how did weeden look?

My understanding is yes, they have.

How did he look? I do not know. I am half a continent away. Also, I do not like him.

JakeNbake
07-27-2012, 11:11 AM
My understanding is yes, they have.

How did he look? I do not know. I am half a continent away. Also, I do not like him.

He will win. And you will hate him. And I will laugh.

Charlie Brown
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
He will win. And you will hate him. And I will laugh.

He is going to be a BUST.

No wide receivers, horrible coaching staff, and playing against the best defenses in the NFL.

When Trent Richardson isn't able to have success against the Ravens and Steelers and WEEDen is forced to throw the ball directly at Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu he won't stand a chance. He is going to be the worst QB in this draft, because he already is.

He is just another Chris Weinke.

Br0nc0Buster
07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
He is going to be a BUST.

No wide receivers, horrible coaching staff, and playing against the best defenses in the NFL.

When Trent Richardson isn't able to have success against the Ravens and Steelers and WEEDen is forced to throw the ball directly at Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu he won't stand a chance. He is going to be the worst QB in this draft, because he already is.

He is just another Chris Weinke.

Hasnt the exact opposite of everything you predicted this offseason happened though?
I remember people joking because you were so convinced McCoy would be the qb, and then Weeden was drafted

I have seen a lot of OSU games and Weeden is much much better than McCoy
He is very accurate and intelligent
He may bust, but as a prospect he blows McCoy out of the water

I am actually interested in seeing how the Browns offense looks
First time I have ever cared about that team

I think I am actually going to the Browns Cowboys game in November

Charlie Brown
07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Hasnt the exact opposite of everything you predicted this offseason happened though?
I remember people joking because you were so convinced McCoy would be the qb, and then Weeden was drafted

The Browns needed a wide receiver. Not a QB. The Browns still need a wide receiver - not a quarterback.

Drafting WEEDen was a completely idiotic move by the front office. The only good thing about the team possibly being sold is that perhaps the new owner will clean house yet again! So, Holmgren & Company will once again be looking for a job.

I think I am actually going to the Browns Cowboys game in November

It'll be a blowout.

orangenightmare
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
The Browns needed a wide receiver. Not a QB. The Browns still need a wide receiver - not a quarterback.

Drafting WEEDen was a completely idiotic move by the front office. The only good thing about the team possibly being sold is that perhaps the new owner will clean house yet again! So, Holmgren & Company will once again be looking for a job.

It'll be a blowout.

Yeah I think ya'll had a pretty bad draft. But then again, i think ours was bad too. Not nearly as bad as clevelands but still. Hopefully, I am wrong and both teams draft picks will work out. Im not real confident though.

RaiderFanSD
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Weeden FTW!!

91bronco
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

It'll be a blowout.

I'm with you on the Browns needing a wide receiver more than another QB. They've got to give him tools to work with with. I am curious why you don't like the Richardson pick though. He's a tough runner with a little bit of wiggle who has proven he can catch the ball out of the backfield. IMO it's at least one tool in the tool bag to help out whoever is throwing the ball. Thoughts?

Charlie Brown
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm with you on the Browns needing a wide receiver more than another QB. They've got to give him tools to work with with. I am curious why you don't like the Richardson pick though. He's a tough runner with a little bit of wiggle who has proven he can catch the ball out of the backfield. IMO it's at least one tool in the tool bag to help out whoever is throwing the ball. Thoughts?

Why don't I like Richardson?

"Richardson will run for 1,500 yards this season for the Browns." - A fantasy outlook I saw.
"Richardson is my favorite for rookie of the year!." - Another analyst
"Jim Brown, who?" - Yet another analyst

What has Richardson done in the NFL, so far? NOTHING. Not a damn thing. He hasn't even taken a handoff in a regular season game yet. He hasn't been hit by Haloti Ngata, Harrison, Ray Lewis, or Troy Polamalu yet! Yet, despite all of that he is being declared a "sure thing."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch is an age-old adage that comes to mind. The Browns organization has been horrid and hasn't made the playoffs in a decade. Now, the team is being sold to a new owner. This rookie hasn't done a darn thing in the NFL to give him any reason for ANYBODY to say he is better than Jim Brown. He hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant people saying he'll magically run for 1,500 yards.

Richardson is already overrated and he hasn't even taken a snap in the regular season yet. He hasn't shown ANYTHING to make him "better" than Ki-Jana Carter or even Rashaan Salaam.

91bronco
08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Why don't I like Richardson?

"Richardson will run for 1,500 yards this season for the Browns." - A fantasy outlook I saw.
"Richardson is my favorite for rookie of the year!." - Another analyst
"Jim Brown, who?" - Yet another analyst

What has Richardson done in the NFL, so far? NOTHING. Not a damn thing. He hasn't even taken a handoff in a regular season game yet. He hasn't been hit by Haloti Ngata, Harrison, Ray Lewis, or Troy Polamalu yet! Yet, despite all of that he is being declared a "sure thing."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch is an age-old adage that comes to mind. The Browns organization has been horrid and hasn't made the playoffs in a decade. Now, the team is being sold to a new owner. This rookie hasn't done a darn thing in the NFL to give him any reason for ANYBODY to say he is better than Jim Brown. He hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant people saying he'll magically run for 1,500 yards.

Richardson is already overrated and he hasn't even taken a snap in the regular season yet. He hasn't shown ANYTHING to make him "better" than Ki-Jana Carter or even Rashaan Salaam.

LOL- so emotional!- I meant no harm... I never said he was a "sure thing" or better than Jim Brown!? I'm genuinely curious why you didn't like the pick given their draft position , value, needs, etc... Heck, Jim Brown HATES him...BUT he can help ur QB and team because he's tough and versatile. I agree that the Browns needed to draft a big time WR or 3 but they didn't- HATED the Weedon pick BTW

Forget what the talking heads say- at least you didn't draft Moreno in the first LOL - I would kill for TRich instead of Moreno.....

What you gonna do???

Charlie Brown
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
LOL- so emotional!- I meant no harm... I never said he was a "sure thing" or better than Jim Brown!? I'm genuinely curious why you didn't like the pick given their draft position , value, needs, etc... Heck, Jim Brown HATES him...BUT he can help ur QB and team because he's tough and versatile. I agree that the Browns needed to draft a big time WR or 3 but they didn't- HATED the Weedon pick BTW

Forget what the talking heads say- at least you didn't draft Moreno in the first LOL - I would kill for TRich instead of Moreno.....

What you gonna do???

It's not "emotional."

It is the truth. Trent Richardson hasn't done anything in the NFL. Moreno could very well be a much better professional football player than Trent Richardson. He has, after all, done more than Richardson has in the NFL - hasn't he?

Trent Richardson has 0 rushes, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns, etc...

Zero accomplishments. Could he be successful? It is in the realm of possibility. But, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Sitting here and saying that Trent Richardson is the best running back to come out in years makes once look like an idiot when he hasn't done anything. I won't say a guy is "decent" until I see them do well. Until then, they may as well be garbage.

No matter the "success", he won't have the same effect on the game of football as Jim Brown has. There is only ONE Jim Brown. He isn't even worth mentioning in the same sentence.

Frenchy180
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Charlie... I'm going to ask you to do me a favor... Take a deep breath, count to five... and say the first positive thing about the current Browns team that comes to mind.

BroncoFanBoy
08-02-2012, 12:01 AM
It's not "emotional."

It is the truth. Trent Richardson hasn't done anything in the NFL. Moreno could very well be a much better professional football player than Trent Richardson. He has, after all, done more than Richardson has in the NFL - hasn't he?

Trent Richardson has 0 rushes, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns, etc...

Zero accomplishments. Could he be successful? It is in the realm of possibility. But, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Sitting here and saying that Trent Richardson is the best running back to come out in years makes once look like an idiot when he hasn't done anything. I won't say a guy is "decent" until I see them do well. Until then, they may as well be garbage.

No matter the "success", he won't have the same effect on the game of football as Jim Brown has. There is only ONE Jim Brown. He isn't even worth mentioning in the same sentence.

He actually is the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson was taken. In fact, he's the first RB taken with a top 5 pick since McFadden in 2008. Usually running backs aren't taken in the Top 10.

A lot of people love his potential. I'm not saying he's a sure thing, but it's very possible that he can be successful.

Charlie Brown
08-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Charlie... I'm going to ask you to do me a favor... Take a deep breath, count to five... and say the first positive thing about the current Browns team that comes to mind.

They have an awesome kicker.

BroncosPWNn00bs
08-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks the Browns are going to be a serious contender this year and could possibly make it to the AFC Championship game at least?

Canmore
08-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks the Browns are going to be a serious contender this year and could possibly make it to the AFC Championship game at least?

Just guessing...yes.

BroncoFanBoy
08-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Charlie rampage on your post in 3...2...1....

Charlie Brown
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/euhfr.xvuyx/v/vspfiles/photos/BUCK-98418-2T.jpg

AC1
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM

While I agree that the Browns should have come away from the first 2 rounds with a WR, I think what's causing a lot of people to disagree with you is the vehemence of your position.

There's a difference between saying "I would have drafted Blackmon, Mercilus and Mike Adams with our first three picks" and "WEEDen will be a bust"

The coaching staff and FO evaluate the players on the team. They may have seen something to convince them McCoy isn't the answer and that Little could possibly be a better receiver with a better QB throwing to him. Holmgren knows offense better than anyone in the league not named Shanahan. He was the one that draft McCoy, so it's not like it was a political move.

DenverBlood
08-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't really have an opinion on the subject of Weeden or Richardson. Well I do but I've already hashed it out with you 1,000 times Charlie so I'll let it go.

I just wanted to point out though that you misunderstood the statement about Mccoy's QBR. The QBR is that new rating that came out last year that absolutely no one understands or agrees with. Numerous games Orton would have better stats than the game before yet a lower QBR. Same with Tebow.

The 76 you are referring to is Passer efficiency rating. The old stat that is still tracked and most people understand better. That is not calculated the same way as this new QBR that they are trying to shove down our throats. But that is also why you are under the impression McCoy's was higher than it was. Because you were arguing against the wrong stat.

Just wanted to clarify that for you. The article was not wrong.

Charlie Brown
08-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't really have an opinion on the subject of Weeden or Richardson. Well I do but I've already hashed it out with you 1,000 times Charlie so I'll let it go.

I just wanted to point out though that you misunderstood the statement about Mccoy's QBR. The QBR is that new rating that came out last year that absolutely no one understands or agrees with. Numerous games Orton would have better stats than the game before yet a lower QBR. Same with Tebow.

The 76 you are referring to is Passer efficiency rating. The old stat that is still tracked and most people understand better. That is not calculated the same way as this new QBR that they are trying to shove down our throats. But that is also why you are under the impression McCoy's was higher than it was. Because you were arguing against the wrong stat.

Just wanted to clarify that for you. The article was not wrong.

Ah, ok. I was unaware of this "new" Quarterback Rating. I am used to the old ratings. I prefer the familiar - and this is the first I have heard of this new rating. I don't watch "football shows" on TV because they never talk about the team I care about and when they do they say horrible things.

So, I do not care about the talking heads on the television.

DenverBlood
08-02-2012, 12:20 PM
While I agree that the Browns should have come away from the first 2 rounds with a WR, I think what's causing a lot of people to disagree with you is the vehemence of your position.

There's a difference between saying "I would have drafted Blackmon, Mercilus and Mike Adams with our first three picks" and "WEEDen will be a bust"

The coaching staff and FO evaluate the players on the team. They may have seen something to convince them McCoy isn't the answer and that Little could possibly be a better receiver with a better QB throwing to him. Holmgren knows offense better than anyone in the league not named Shanahan. He was the one that draft McCoy, so it's not like it was a political move.

I agree with this 100%. I wasn't happy about drafting Brock Osweiler. But now that he is on the team I'm not hoping he is a bust just so I'll be right. If he turns out as one I'll say told you so we shouldn't have drafted him. But by no means am I rooting for it. I really hope now that he is the QB for the future after Manning.

DenverBlood
08-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Ah, ok. I was unaware of this "new" Quarterback Rating. I am used to the old ratings. I prefer the familiar - and this is the first I have heard of this new rating. I don't watch "football shows" on TV because they never talk about the team I care about and when they do they say horrible things.

So, I do not care about the talking heads on the television.

Agreed I never watch any shows on ESPN anymore either. Or NFL Network for that matter. But there were tons of articles on ESPN which I checked a lot since they always talked about Tebows QBR. Not sure how you missed it.

But yes I also prefer the old Pass efficiency rating.

AC1
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree with this 100%. I wasn't happy about drafting Brock Osweiler. But now that he is on the team I'm not hoping he is a bust just so I'll be right. If he turns out as one I'll say told you so we shouldn't have drafted him. But by no means am I rooting for it. I really hope now that he is the QB for the future after Manning.

That is exactly how I view Osweiler too, though my concern isn't that he will be a bust as much as that he just won't be elite.

Charlie Brown
08-02-2012, 02:06 PM

McCoy isn't the problem. The team had no off season to teach McCoy the new offense. The head coach was a rookie HC. On top of that, the team had horrid play-calling from the coach as well as little talent around McCoy.

So, the team blamed McCoy for all of that. He is their Patsy.

Now in comes WEEDen and you expect me to jump up and down and get excited and buy their line that it is all McCoy's fault?! Hell no. I refuse to do that.

Even if WEEDen does well (which I highly doubt he will) that doesn't make WEEDen better than McCoy. McCoy was not given Trent Richardson (if he does well) nor a decent offensive line (assuming the new players are any good). Further, McCoy had little no help help from the wide receivers. So, no, I am not going to sit here and do somersaults of joy for WEEDen.

AC1
08-03-2012, 08:16 AM
McCoy isn't the problem. The team had no off season to teach McCoy the new offense. The head coach was a rookie HC. On top of that, the team had horrid play-calling from the coach as well as little talent around McCoy.

So, the team blamed McCoy for all of that. He is their Patsy.

Now in comes WEEDen and you expect me to jump up and down and get excited and buy their line that it is all McCoy's fault?! Hell no. I refuse to do that.

Even if WEEDen does well (which I highly doubt he will) that doesn't make WEEDen better than McCoy. McCoy was not given Trent Richardson (if he does well) nor a decent offensive line (assuming the new players are any good). Further, McCoy had little no help help from the wide receivers. So, no, I am not going to sit here and do somersaults of joy for WEEDen.

The first line of your post is your opinion. Maybe Holmgren thought he was the problem. Like I mentioned earlier, Holmgren drafted McCoy. If McCoy isn't the guy, it makes Holmgren looks bad. Holmgren has also never gone the route of getting a first-round QB before. All signs point to McCoy being his kind of guy. If they felt the need to upgrade, there's a good chance that McCoy wasn't impressing them.

NOBODY expects you to jump up and down and get excited. But your tone toward Weeden is ridiculous. It's not his fault that Cleveland drafted him. Your tone is making Broncos fans like myself that have only a passing interest in the Browns defend your QB to you.

Again, I agree with you in that if I were in Holmgren's place, I would not have drafted Weeden (or any other QB before the fourth round). I also agree that McCoy should have been given more of a chance. This is unfair to him, but what Elway did to Tebow was unfair too as is what Rivera did to Jimmy Clausen. None of those guys got a fair shot with the teams that drafted them. That's just how it goes.

One thing I'll add about Weeden which also applies to Osweiler to some extent. This year's crop of QBs was regarded as an extremely good one. I've read a couple of draftniks say that had Cam Newton come out this year, he may not have gone before Tannehill (remember Newton was not a lock for the #1 draft pick even a few weeks before the draft). Conversely, had Weeden come out last year he would have at least gone before Locker, Gabbert and Ponder. That's a good QB to get at the #22 spot.