PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning HOF now?

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Phil Simms said that Eli Manning is a hall of famer right now. I personally think he will be with just a few more good seasons, but right now I dont know how you could put him up there. There's not enough seasons for him yet, and not enough consistency.

The 2 SB rings are great, but outside of this year, he's never had a really good season.

I dont really know why we're looking at his hof status now as he isnt injured and will continue to play for more years, but let's roll with it. What do you all say?

-Rod-
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
In my opinion, Eli Manning is having good seasons since 2008. And then he moved from good to great in 2011. He is not only a 2x Super Bowl champion, but also a 2x Super Bowl MVP. Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8). NFL Record most 4th quarter touchdown passes in a season (15). Most passing yards in a single postseason (1.219 yards). Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10). NFL Record most road playoff wins by a quarterback (5). This is what he has so far.

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 09:08 PM
In my opinion, Eli Manning is having good seasons since 2008. And then he moved from good to great in 2011. He is not only a 2x Super Bowl champion, but also a 2x Super Bowl MVP. Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8). NFL Record most 4th quarter touchdown passes in a season (15). Most passing yards in a single postseason (1.219 yards). Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10). NFL Record most road playoff wins by a quarterback (5). This is what he has so far.

Counting turnovers as int and fumbles:

2008, 15 turnovers
2009, 27 turnovers
2010, 32 turnovers
2011, 25 turnovers

Not really good seasons imo. The year he had 31 tds, he also had 32 turnovers (2010).

CoryWinget81
08-02-2012, 09:10 PM

2008, 15 turnovers
2009, 27 turnovers
2010, 32 turnovers
2011, 25 turnovers

Not really good seasons imo. The year he had 31 tds, he also had 32 turnovers (2010).

Brett Favre is the all-time leader in turnovers.

Is he not HOF?

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Is he not HOF?

Brett Farve is the all time leader in passing yards, completions, attempts, tds, wins, and retirements.

He has a way longer career and the iron man streak.

all that makes farve a hof. He also had elite years, all of the three mvp seasons, some other ones too, not to mention the 2009 season which was his best ever.

Remember the question is if eli is a hof right now. I do think he will be, but he's just never performed during the nfl season at an elite level except for 2011.

-Rod-
08-02-2012, 09:24 PM

2008, 15 turnovers
2009, 27 turnovers
2010, 32 turnovers
2011, 25 turnovers

I watched his interceptions in 2010 and there were a lot, a lot of interceptions caused by his receivers. 4.002 yards, 62.9%, 31 TDs, 85.3 QB rate. Not a great season, but a good season in my opinion. 4.021 yards in 2009, 93.1 QB rate, 27 TDs. Good season. 21 TDs in 2008, only 10 INT, 3.238 yards, 86.4 QB rate. I think he was doing a good job, but did not belong to the list of top QBs. Now he's taken the next step. This discussion about the HoF is complex, and today the standards are quite different. Multiple QBs are throwing for 5000+ yards. What is a good or great season for a QB nowadays? The NFL currently has multiple future HoF QBs on the field. It's tough to put a 2012 QB in the HoF after 8 seasons of stats. Eli Manning deserves the HoF much more than Joe Namath, but now we have to compare Eli to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers...

InsaneBlaze23
08-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Is he not HOF?

That is true, but that's Brett Favre not Eli Manning.

As for Eli, I think he is a hall of fame QB right now, even with his short comings. In I base that off his overall performance as a QB. It's no question that he is one of the more clutch QB's in the NFL. He currently has more rings than his first ballot hall of fame brother.

I think he is under looked because who his big brother is. Also the talent around him isn't great, it's good but not amazing.

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I watched his interceptions in 2010 and there were a lot, a lot of interceptions caused by his receivers. 4.002 yards, 62.9%, 31 TDs, 85.3 QB rate. Not a great season, but a good season in my opinion. 4.021 yards in 2009, 93.1 QB rate, 27 TDs. Good season. 21 TDs in 2008, only 10 INT, 3.238 yards, 86.4 QB rate. I think he was doing a good job, but did not belong to the list of top QBs. Now he's taken the next step. This discussion about the HoF is complex, and today the standards are quite different. Multiple QBs are throwing for 5000+ yards. What is a good or great season for a QB nowadays? The NFL currently has multiple future HoF QBs on the field. It's tough to put a 2012 QB in the HoF after 8 seasons of stats. Eli Manning deserves the HoF much more than Joe Namath, but now we have to compare Eli to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers...

Exactly. Again, I dont see the point of Phil Simms mentioning this, as Eli is going to play more seasons. It's just too early to put him in the hof. Imo, if someone says you're a hall of famer, that means that no matter what happens you will end up in the hof. If Eli produces 30+ int each season for the next three, and goes 5-11 all three seasons, no way is he a hof. Once you're in, you should not be able to somehow lose your place in it.

Rodgers looks to be a sure fire hof, but right now he hasnt done enough either. The active three qbs that will go to the hof right now are brady, manning, brees; all of whom who have produced elite seasons for a consisent period of time. I don't think it's disrespectful to not put eli in the hof YET.

And imo, Namath being in the hof is a joke. He's like a McNabb. A good player in the era, but was not ever the best.

-Rod-
08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
And imo, Namath being in the hof is a joke. He's like a McNabb. A good player in the era, but was not ever the best.

McNabb was a very good QB in his prime, he is the best QB in Eagles history. Namath is like a drunk Tim Tebow in the HoF.

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
McNabb was a very good QB in his prime, he is the best QB in Eagles history. Namath is like a drunk Tim Tebow in the HoF.

lol. Well Namath is the best qb in Jets history imo. Shows what a guarantee can do for you...got him in the hof wow!

HUMCALC
08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes, Eli should go into the HOF, but he should never be considered elite. Every QB who has won 2+ SBs, and has more TDs to INTs is in

TheSheriff
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes, Eli should go into the HOF, but he should never be considered elite. Every QB who has won 2+ SBs, and has more TDs to INTs is in

If he should never be considered elite, how can he be in the hof?
I understand there are a few questionable 'elite" qbs in the hof right now, but that doesnt mean we should simply put eli in the hall because they got in. the voters voted in a few qbs because they were champions and there was really no one else at all from the decade that close, and so it was almost like they were filling a quota for qbs for some decades.

InsaneBlaze23
08-02-2012, 09:58 PM

I ask you what's your opinion of what an elite QB is?

baphamet
08-02-2012, 10:23 PM
right now? no but if he strings together a couple more good consistent seasons he will be. the problem with eli is he was not a good QB and has choked a lot up until recently.

even after he won his first ring (where the offense only put up 17 points and still won the game against a team that averaged 38 all season) he went right back to choking agaimn the following year.

eli also isnt tthe type of QB to put his team on his shoulders and win games ona regular basis. not saying he hasent done it but he doesnt do it like some of the other elite QB's in the leauge.

so i need to see a couple more seasons like last season and they need to be concecutive. but i am sure once its all said and done he will be a HOF worthy cannidate.

thats coming from a devoted eli hater. lol

EddieMac
08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
If Eli never played another snap I don't think he would get into the HOF.

In this era of the QB he doesn't have flashy stats.
There is no record breaking season ala Drew Bree's last year.
His two rings won't carry him in.

samparnell
08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
George Blanda, Sonny Jurgenson, Len Dawson, Joe Namath, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are in the HOF. Why not Eli Manning? He fits in that group IMO.

jcdavey
08-03-2012, 07:04 AM
i think he needs more work in terms of getting his overall stats up to HOF avg levels but if he keeps having seasons anywhere near last year's (and i'm not talking about the playoffs but about how clutch he was in the 4th qtr of games) then yes, i can see him getting into the HOF, he has a really good shot to finish his career much more succesfully than his brother, in terms of clutchness and hardware, he actually has a chance to beat tom brady for the hardware crown some day

Freyaka
08-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Brett Farve is the all time leader in passing yards, completions, attempts, tds, wins, and retirements.

He has a way longer career and the iron man streak.

all that makes farve a hof. He also had elite years, all of the three mvp seasons, some other ones too, not to mention the 2009 season which was his best ever.

Remember the question is if eli is a hof right now. I do think he will be, but he's just never performed during the nfl season at an elite level except for 2011.

Nice! lol.....

AC1
08-03-2012, 10:22 AM

2008, 15 turnovers
2009, 27 turnovers
2010, 32 turnovers
2011, 25 turnovers

IMO evaluating QBs by turnovers is an exercise in over-simplification. Turnovers happen for a variety of reasons and placing the blame on the QB is IMO a result of all the instant analyses from basement-bloggers.

EddieMac
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.insomniacslounge.com/uploaded_images/2outta3-777113.jpg

dizzolve
08-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Phil Simms said that Eli Manning is a hall of famer right now. I personally think he will be with just a few more good seasons, but right now I dont know how you could put him up there. There's not enough seasons for him yet, and not enough consistency.

The 2 SB rings are great, but outside of this year, he's never had a really good season.

I dont really know why we're looking at his hof status now as he isnt injured and will continue to play for more years, but let's roll with it. What do you all say?

Both Mannings will be in the hall

Why? Because they're brothers who both won World Championships - that's unique enough

Freyaka
08-03-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.insomniacslounge.com/uploaded_images/2outta3-777113.jpg

Adopted into our loving family as the greatest QB since Elway!

TheSheriff
08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
IMO evaluating QBs by turnovers is an exercise in over-simplification. Turnovers happen for a variety of reasons and placing the blame on the QB is IMO a result of all the instant analyses from basement-bloggers.

In no way was I evalutating Eli as a qb based solely on turnovers. But evaluating a qb's season based on TO is an effective way to do so. It's one factor and not the be all/end all but turnovers are one of the main reasons teams win and lose. If as a qb you are turning it over 25+ times that's not what I would call a good season. I brought up turnovers for mainly that point: that eli has not had overall good seasons, and that really only 2011 was a really good season for him.

I evaluate Eli as not quite a hof qb yet based on watching his actual games, which I have seen many of.

orangenightmare
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Stats, schmats. Even If Eli never played again I think he's hall of fame worthy. Two super bowl mvps does the trick for sure. Drew Brees and Tom Brady have some flashy stats, but remember Bill Belichek and Sean Peyton are the type of coaches that keep their players in blowout games just to pad stats. Because they are classless. Coughlin doesn't do that. Not saying that Eli would break those records even if he was, I just think some of these Records aren't quite what they are made out to be. So yes, Eli is a HOFer now IMO.

HUMCALC
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I ask you what's your opinion of what an elite QB is?

Elite QBs are QBs that you say "We have to stop him". Examples from today would be: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Peyton, Big Ben, (to a certain degree), and Romo. (to a certain extent) Past examples would include: Favre, Marino, Elway, Montana, Fouts, Unitas, Staubach, etc.

2 SBs is a 99.9% guarantee that you're going in, not just for players either

SoundsOfSuccess
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
No.

If he plays 8ish more seasons with above average results, yes.

HUMCALC
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
If Bob Waterfield can get in, Eli's a cinch