PDA

View Full Version : Major League Sports Contracts.....Lets Remember Who Pays The Bills

CanDB
08-26-2012, 09:04 AM
With yet another "highly likely" lockout looming, this time the NHL (which would be the 3rd under Gary Bettman), I am even more sick and tired (than ever) about the way our big league sports are allowed to play silly games when it comes to contract negotiations, especially when most of us can predict the outcome well in advance, and DEFINITELY before lockouts start breaking out. In fact, in my opinion, they should lock up the 2 leaders (manangement/union) in a room, and force them to come up with something tangible, or they stay locked within. Cut the air conditioning after a week, and gradually take away other little goodies each week thereafter - showers, decent food, communication, tv.......and so on. Sooner or later they'll get creative......and supportive.

Here's my problem......we are the customer. In the case of major sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB), there is no equal alternative. If for example, a company locks out its employees, usually there is a competitor you can go to. But there is no major league alternative, at least, not within reach (hmmmm.....wonder if Mars has some possibilities???)

Lets remember, we pay these people big money to play for us. Sure, the owners take big risks, but they can make huge money in the process. And the players have to be good....but so what, they're playing a freakin game! WE pay for all of this, at the price they set.

Another option (more practical I'm sure) is to bring in a 3rd party to expedite the process. Maybe in this case, it should be someone/some group chosen by the fans. TO PROTECT OUT INTERESTS. Hey, why not.......we do have a vested interest. And lets be clear, major league sports have a strong influence on the masses. Hey, all we ask is for someone to play a game we love to watch. It makes many of us happier campers, and it keeps us busy (especially, in this case, on those cold winter nights when hockey should be happening!!). And we offer a big chunk of change for them to do so. Where's our piece of the action???

Whatever......major league contracts should be geared towards due dates, otherwise a mediation process gets to complete the job at hand, based on what they have been given to do. Simple as that....you play fair, you will likely get more than the other side, as long as the other side is being foolish.

(I still like the "locked room" situation better!!!)

~~~~~~

OF COURSE you know I'm dreaming a bit here.......but cmon.....NFL, NBA and NHL all within such a short time frame! And all knowing far in advance what they had to accomplish.

Trouble is, we are so addicted, we always seem to forgive them.

CanDB
08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
cmon.........where are the hockey fans out there????????!!!!!!!

Time for some serious venting.......;)

InsaneBlaze23
08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Eh, I've had enough with all these big types. All of this is just politics in a jersey.

The bottom line for them is, they know regardless of when they can get a deal, that fans will still buy tickets, jerseys, hats, shoes, etc. Fans don't really get involved as we should. We take a back seat and let them do the talking.

There is evidence through out recent history, if you make your voice heard in this country to big types...They'll listen.

Bronco51
08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
They need to contract back to around 20 teams. Some of these teams will never get support, hence, the owners will want salaries to be low to make any cash. That's why they will always have labor disputes.

theMileHighGuy
08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
I have no patience for over-paid athletes, in any sport, and it's exhausting just thinking about what they squabble over. They only reason they make that much money is because of what the sport makes, and they know that they can get it. The worst is the people making millions and billions who don't even play any of the games, like already rich owners and the like.

It just pains me because I've watched my dad literally work his life away for next to nothing... and these guys who play a game for a living squabble over who gets the last million...

CanDB
08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
I have no patience for over-paid athletes, in any sport, and it's exhausting just thinking about what they squabble over. They only reason they make that much money is because of what the sport makes, and they know that they can get it. The worst is the people making millions and billions who don't even play any of the games, like already rich owners and the like.

It just pains me because I've watched my dad literally work his life away for next to nothing... and these guys who play a game for a living squabble over who gets the last million...

I hear ya.......my Dad was one of the finest carpenters in this entire city, and he worried about missing work his whole life. In the end, we lived in a small house, and didn't have a whole lot to show for it. But he did his best.

And he worked "very hard" for at least 8 hours of every day, and hardly took any time off, for so many years!

Sure, he didn't bring in the big crowds or tv contracts, but he should have been worth more (than he was paid) in my books. But the good news......his quality work can still be seen across this city and beyond.